Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
so the best hope for climate policy under trump is to loudly shout "liberals hate nucular" at him and hope he starts building yuuuuuge nuclear power plants in a bigly way out of spite

also how many degrees will trump add? my bet is between 0.5 and 1C

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

sitchensis posted:

tbh I think you are right about this. I suspect the PRC can see the writing on the wall. They literally have nothing to lose by combating climate change and investing in mitigation/green energy. It will help to quell the murmurs of discontent over the environment domestically and paints them in a very positive light on the international stage. They also have done a lot of development work/major investments in African countries (many of which will be hit hard by climate change) and I'm sure they'll want to keep up the good will as they push development (read: influence) there.

The Chinese CPC isn't the progressive force you might expect. PRC leaders are politically constrained in terms of being able to impose economically costly climate change policies, just like their western counterparts.

Mozi posted:

If Trump withdraws from the Paris treaty there is no amount of organization or movement-tizing that will make up for that. Period.

This needs to be emphasized. Contributing to local movements is fine and worthwhile, but it's just so easy for hard-won political progress to be undone in an instant if reactionaries gain power. Probably the most effective climate mitigation strategy in the US at this point is to ensure progressive Democrats win the Presidency and congress in 2020. Everything else is relatively insignificant in terms of emission reductions.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

blowfish posted:

so the best hope for climate policy under trump is to loudly shout "liberals hate nucular" at him and hope he starts building yuuuuuge nuclear power plants in a bigly way out of spite

also how many degrees will trump add? my bet is between 0.5 and 1C

Go look at projection curves. Even conservative estimates.

As terrifying as the "this is where we are headed" projections are, now look at the "this is worst case."

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

I know people don't like to hear me to talk about this, but hopefully the growing despair will finally make peaceful ways to end one's life more freely available.

Until then I will just amuse myself I guess.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

I was expecting Dr. Blight, but of course Trump wouldn't nominate a woman.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Gonna get wider when I die
Nap Ghost

AceOfFlames posted:

I know people don't like to hear me to talk about this, but hopefully the growing despair will finally make peaceful ways to end one's life more freely available.

Until then I will just amuse myself I guess.

It is a very scary situation to rationally come to the conclusion that one needs a plan and a means to quickly and painlessly end one's life when and if the situation demands it.

I never had too much hope for our efforts on this front but always thought there was some outside chance that we could maybe figure out some crazy solution and muddle through like we have throughout history. But now - stick a fork in us, we're done.

Realistically I was hoping for another couple decades of stability, at least. Just for my own selfish desires to enjoy life and the world. I'm not sure what will collapse first, now, but I'm not sure we have that long.

A lot of people my age have young kids or are planning to have children. It's their kids I feel the worst for.

I hope it goes without saying that nothing would make me happier than to be entirely wrong.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Nov 10, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Start your own thread for whiny euthanasia talk. This thread isn't a podium to talk about killing yourself, this thread is for discussing how we're going to kill something much much bigger.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Looks like my starter house is gonna be a subterranean bunker with a mushroom farm :v:

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Mozi posted:

It is a very scary situation to rationally come to the conclusion that one needs a plan and a means to quickly and painlessly end one's life when and if the situation demands it.

I never had too much hope for our efforts on this front but always thought there was some outside chance that we could maybe figure out some crazy solution and muddle through like we have throughout history. But now - stick a fork in us, we're done.

Realistically I was hoping for another couple decades of stability, at least. Just for my own selfish desires to enjoy life and the world. I'm not sure what will collapse first, now, but I'm not sure we have that long.

A lot of people my age have young kids or are planning to have children. It's their kids I feel the worst for.

I hope it goes without saying that nothing would make me happier than to be entirely wrong.

For what it's worth, the world will probably settle into a new equilibrium pretty soon after whatever huge cycle of wars/revolutions is coming. The worlds of 1905, 1925 and 1955 look a lot different from each other, but all of them are at a relatively stable equilibrium. Of course millions of people died in brief bursts in between them, but minor details

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

icantfindaname posted:

For what it's worth, the world will probably settle into a new equilibrium pretty soon after whatever huge cycle of wars/revolutions is coming. The worlds of 1905, 1925 and 1955 look a lot different from each other, but all of them are at a relatively stable equilibrium. Of course millions of people died in brief bursts in between them, but minor details

That was always how we managed to get past our own screwups in the past but it's hard to say there will be another stable equilibrium coming as temperatures will continue to increase far into the future based on actions already taken (and what we are about to double down on.)

TildeATH posted:

Start your own thread for whiny euthanasia talk. This thread isn't a podium to talk about killing yourself, this thread is for discussing how we're going to kill something much much bigger.

I'm uncomfortable with being that bleak as well. I don't want to think like this, I don't want anybody to have to think like this. But people are going to, because it is rational.

Mozi fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 10, 2016

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax

Mozi posted:

I'm uncomfortable with being that bleak as well. I don't want to think like this, I don't want anybody to have to think like this. But people are going to, because it is rational.

I don't care, just don't do it in this thread.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost
No worries, I'm done.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

icantfindaname posted:

Doesn't need to a huge cycle or some sort of WW3 scenario. Like I said previously, a limited nuclear exchange in Asia, the koreas going to nuclear war, india/pakistan, china etc, and we can postpone the worst by a lot of years. Obviously, I don't want this to happen, but the regions who are likely candidate for rapid destabilization AND has access to nukes, well... those are it. They also happen to be incredibly overpopulated and massively polluting. But this is purely speculation and would obviously be a horrible cataclysmic disaster.

Bert Roberge
Nov 28, 2003

So is the EPA just completely going away or will they just gut Air Quality regulations?

I imagine most restrictions for emissions on vehicles and power plants will be cut.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Nice piece of fish posted:

Doesn't need to a huge cycle or some sort of WW3 scenario. Like I said previously, a limited nuclear exchange in Asia, the koreas going to nuclear war, india/pakistan, china etc, and we can postpone the worst by a lot of years. Obviously, I don't want this to happen, but the regions who are likely candidate for rapid destabilization AND has access to nukes, well... those are it. They also happen to be incredibly overpopulated and massively polluting. But this is purely speculation and would obviously be a horrible cataclysmic disaster.

Not sure what you think nuclear war involving China would be other than WW3.

Most people still see combating climate change as a nice but optional environmentalist luxury like breeding giant pandas. There won't be any will to tackle it if there is any more serious global instability which occupies people's attention, so we're pretty much hosed.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

Bert Roberge posted:

So is the EPA just completely going away or will they just gut Air Quality regulations?

I imagine most restrictions for emissions on vehicles and power plants will be cut.

Thank god California exists, half of of consumer regulations come from meeting their environmental standards.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Solve climate change with a nuclear winter and a large decrease in population. This is some how a less painful and more likely solution that just loving reducing our emissions. Humans are the dumbest things.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Well it's more likely to happen at this point.

Lawman 0
Aug 17, 2010

Blorange posted:

Thank god California exists, half of of consumer regulations come from meeting their environmental standards.

Every blue state needs to band together immediately to block all the poo poo coming down the pipe from the climate denier in chief.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Man it is loving depressing how bad that one goddamn country could mess everything up. It finally looked like we may have had some progress.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Monaghan posted:

Man it is loving depressing how bad that one goddamn country could mess everything up. It finally looked like we may have had some progress.

lol if you think there was any progress under Obama or thought HRC was going to improve things in any way

Huzanko
Aug 4, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

TildeATH posted:

I don't care, just don't do it in this thread.

Thank you for being opposed to despair. Despair is useless.

Even if the situation is hopeless you can strive to make it otherwise.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

lol if you think there was any progress under Obama or thought HRC was going to improve things in any way

The CPP and Paris were real progress. In particular the CPP, which will be gone on day 1.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

The CPP and Paris were real progress. In particular the CPP, which will be gone on day 1.

maybe if you keep telling yourself that it will become true

they were progress in the same way that phasing out leds for incandescent light bulbs were progress, ie worthless

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

Did I mention I was gay for pirate ducks?

~SMcD
The only situation more desperate than the current one is where people give into despair and don't work toward change.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

NewForumSoftware posted:

maybe if you keep telling yourself that it will become true

they were progress in the same way that phasing out leds for incandescent light bulbs were progress, ie worthless

A 32% decrease in CO2 emissions from electricity was a vastly more impactful plan than switching to LEDs. Like by several orders of magnitude.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

NewForumSoftware posted:

Can you control yourself and contain yourself in the troll threads.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Trabisnikof posted:

A 32% decrease in CO2 emissions from electricity was a vastly more impactful plan than switching to LEDs. Like by several orders of magnitude.

until it actually happens its just a plan that didnt do anything

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Tanreall posted:

The only situation more desperate than the current one is where people give into despair and don't work toward change.

This is the only valid perspective. Not caring improves nothing, does nothing.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax
you should care, you should just give up on federal politics and move to an area where the local community is going to be amenable to living in a world where abrupt climate change is a reality of life

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Bert Roberge posted:

Clean Power Plan is dead as hell. Beyond that, the EPA will probably keep its existing regs on the books but be powerless to enforce them.

A lot of the work done by Obama's EPA involved getting states to comply with the enforcement of federal regulations. An even more budget strapped EPA + Conservative Supreme Court = southern states will continue to tell the EPA to shove it and get away with it

NewForumSoftware posted:

until it actually happens its just a plan that didnt do anything

I think it's hard to overstate the effects the CPP would have had long term. Coal would have been immediately hosed and over time even natural gas would be phased out/forced to become more efficient over the years. Yeah obviously that now means jack poo poo but it was a very real, concrete step in the right direction.

disjoe fucked around with this message at 19:28 on Nov 10, 2016

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

NewForumSoftware posted:

you should care, you should just give up on federal politics and move to an area where the local community is going to be amenable to living in a world where abrupt climate change is a reality of life

No, because it isn't about the self. It's about all of the people on this earth. We must stay engaged. We must wake up each day and look for opportunity. We can not lay down and accept what hasn't come to pass.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Tanreall posted:

No, because it isn't about the self. It's about all of the people on this earth. We must stay engaged. We must wake up each day and look for opportunity. We can't not lay down and accept what hasn't come to pass.

the people on the earth are hosed and the idea that we can somehow "save" them is part of the reason we're in this problem in the first place

i guess you can ignore science and political realities but climate change is not going to stop or slow down any time in the next ten thousand years or so

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Monaghan posted:

All it ever takes to prevent progress is one particularly bad temper tantrum and ignoring a few inconvenient facts. The conservatives are very, very good at both of those things.

Mozi
Apr 4, 2004

Forms change so fast
Time is moving past
Memory is smoke
Nap Ghost

Huzanko posted:

Thank you for being opposed to despair. Despair is useless.

Even if the situation is hopeless you can strive to make it otherwise.

Rejection of reality is more despicable than a cold-eyed acceptance. I don't want to die on this hill because I agree in principle, but people are still living in a fantasy land where things don't exist because their effects haven't materialized yet.

People should be sad. They should be despairing, if they care at all about nature or children or the future of the human race.

I used to wonder how some historical cataclysms could have happened - the collapse of the Bronze age civilizations, the vanishing of South American or Southeast Asian empires, the Dark Ages - when human ingenuity and progress seemed so dependable and assured. The answer is that progress is incredibly fragile and we have been lucky beyond belief to have made it this far - and of course due also to the countless numbers of completely anonymous people who believed in a better future and worked hard. And few people seem to realize just how fragile all of those gains are - how fragile everything we have in our world is. But we are going to have the opportunity to see.

And if that makes me a negative nelly, I could not give less of a poo poo.

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

NewForumSoftware posted:

the people on the earth are hosed and the idea that we can somehow "save" them is part of the reason we're in this problem in the first place

It's not about being the savior. It's about accepting the reality that our decisions affect the world. It's about understanding that living in the USA gives us a louder voice in how the world should move forward.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Tanreall posted:

It's not about being the savior. It's about accepting the reality that our decisions affect the world. It's about understanding that living in the USA gives us a louder voice in how the world should move forward.

our decisions don't affect the entire world and that's exactly why climate change will never be stopped

welcome to reality, enjoy your stay

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

NewForumSoftware posted:

our decisions don't affect the entire world and that's exactly why climate change will never be stopped

welcome to reality, enjoy your stay

Your reality is a cyanide pill for the world and I reject it completely. Resilience is the only path forward.

NewForumSoftware
Oct 8, 2016

by Lowtax

Tanreall posted:

Your reality is a bleak cyanide pill for the world and I reject it completely. Continued resilience is the only path forward.

you realize that humans lived for tens of thousands of years without knowing what was happening 10 miles away, much less across the entire world

stop investing your own well being into those of people who you have no real connection with and start worrying about your neighbors because they are in real danger and when the world goes to hell those are going to be the people you need to rely on

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tanreall
Apr 27, 2004

~SMcD

NewForumSoftware posted:

you realize that humans lived for tens of thousands of years without knowing what was happening 10 miles away, much less across the entire world

stop investing your own well being into those of people who you have no real connection with and start worrying about your neighbors because they are in real danger and when the world goes to hell those are going to be the people you need to rely on

Again I reject the idea that I should only concentrate on what's good for my own survival. In the words of Albert Camus "There are causes worth dying for, but none worth killing for."