Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Crowsbeak posted:

Yes, to an extent, but then what do yo do, do you shame them?

hell loving yes you shame them. shame them to hell and back. they're not needed to win an election

hillary won a plurality of voters even with the democratic turnout deeply depressed

for fucks sake why on earth do y'all think we can't be shaming these loving white nationalists? a couple pages back people were making GBS threads on warren for saying she'd try to work with trump and now people are like "a bloo bloo we need to reach out to racists to win"

no we don't

Waffles Inc. fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Radish posted:

Heard on the radio some Trump supporters are excited because when the GOP undoes the ACA (which they actually liked somewhat) they are gonna get a great replacement!

I've talked to people on this very forum who believe that. They are touchingly naive. "Why would Trump repeal the popular parts of Obamacare? Wouldn't that make him really unpopular?" Ah, blessed sweet summer children.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Armani posted:

You both needed much better parents and childhoods.

This is not a personal opinion, man. This is me presenting the thought process I believe a fat percentage of the population engages in. It's backed on what I've seen and what I've learned about people from a lifetime of interacting with them.

Most people don't give a poo poo. That's just how it is. You make them care by making it personal somehow, either by involving someone they trust, or involving someone they love.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

John_A_Tallon posted:

What if your first thought is, "That's too bad. I hope they're not lying. Well, I'm going to go back to my life now. Maybe I'll hear more about it later."? Because I'd say that is a more accurate description of how many people approach news about victimization that doesn't affect them or someone they have a vested interest in.

Yeah, most of the time it's a, "That sucks," but the difference when I hear about it being a loving hate crime is that it doesn't become about a random person who I don't know, it becomes about a huge group of people--one of which I am definitely am a part of. When a black person gets "friend of the family" yelled at them all black people will get how much that fucks up your day, if not longer. When a woman is sexually harassed all women instinctively get how much that fucks up your day, if not longer.

White men, though, understand nothing.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Nov 10, 2016

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

pocket pool posted:

Uh, I'm not sure if you got the memo but race played no part in this election. I read it here.
I don't know what I was thinking. :iit:

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BarbarianElephant posted:

I've talked to people on this very forum who believe that. They are touchingly naive. "Why would Trump repeal the popular parts of Obamacare? Wouldn't that make him really unpopular?" Ah, blessed sweet summer children.

I can't wait till he fucks all of them over. Time to replicate the Kentucky experiment nationwide!

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Radish posted:

Heard on the radio some Trump supporters are excited because when the GOP undoes the ACA (which they actually liked somewhat) they are gonna get a great replacement! Lots of America just has no clue how bad the GOP has gotten in eight years and are in for a shocking surprise when it starts affecting them. The Clinton wing has been a problem for years but no one had the power to push them out but now it's crystal clear they aren't wanted so anyone allying with them is a fool.

The replacement is gonna' be TREMENDOUS!

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Waffles Inc. posted:

this is wrong.

"none of this was about bigotry"?

are you loving serious?

(also :ssh: there's no such thing as independent voters)

The revisionism began election night when Trumpists realized they were winning and suddenly had to adopt an air of legitimacy and appearing to be the "reasonable" ones in contrast to the people rightly losing their minds over the guy who promised to deport them being elected the next POTUS.

These people need to be reminded of what they supported each and every day for the next 4 years. Labeling Mexicans rapists. The promise to jail his opponent if he won. The Muslim ban. The veiled threats couched in 2nd Amendment language. The Russian connections. The endorsement of the KKK (bigotry played no part!).

This was always going to be our job. It doesn't change with the balance of power.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

John_A_Tallon posted:

This is not a personal opinion, man. This is me presenting the thought process I believe a fat percentage of the population engages in. It's backed on what I've seen and what I've learned about people from a lifetime of interacting with them.

Most people don't give a poo poo. That's just how it is. You make them care by making it personal somehow, either by involving someone they trust, or involving someone they love.

hey OP get out of the headspace you're occupying where you think this is a theoretical abstract academic discussion

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Waffles Inc. posted:

If you voted for trump you implicitly endorsed a racist and racist policies, making you complicit in racism, which is a form of racism

hth
The problem here was failing to appeal to the democratic base by spending most of the campaign arguing about the character of the republican candidate.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trump-associated hate crimes are already occurring.
Yes, racists are feeling good about themselves after a racist president was elected.

Who What Now posted:

This, but unironically.
I am not saying there is a harm in shaming them, I am saying that focusing a presidential campaign on shaming them is a good way to get clowned on.

What I am saying is that "Look at this awful hateful orange clown man." was a bad campaign strategy, and that Hillary failed to convince on economic reform. I am certain all the bigots are loving their new clown man president, but they didn't win it, Hillary losing 6 million votes over 2012 won it.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Waffles Inc. posted:

Are either of their policies racist? If not then you're good? I still think it's incredibly damaging to vote third party in the face of Donald Trump but hey

I don't understand why that's relevant

A vote for either of those candidates was a vote for Trump.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Trump-associated hate crimes are already occurring.
http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2016/11/a-black-church-burned-in-the-name-of-trump/506246/
http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/clout/400560361.html
https://twitter.com/Anthony19145/status/796405156006989824

I'm also seeing multiple first-hand accounts (and of course they can't be photographed) of people yelling threats at visibly non-white people.

I don't recall all of that happening after any Presidential election in my lifetime.

His point is that the hate crime people are not former independents or former Democrats.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

biracial bear for uncut posted:

i agree completely fwiw

kartikeya
Mar 17, 2009

Kilroy posted:

A handful of posters in USPOL != the Democratic party.

I've seen no indication that the lesson the Democrats are taking from this is that they need to run to the right. I know you are hell-bent on equating any talk of refocusing on class issues to be proof of some renewed racism on the left... but that is not the case.

While we're on the subject I think we're really, really lucky that Bernie Sanders ran and that he had the success that he did. If he had not then the liberals in the DNC would be able to make a much more convincing case that the answer is more triangulation. It's because of his primary run that they absolutely can not make that argument now.

That's not what I said. Please reread. I said USPOL posters were laughing about how the stupid DNC was going to do this and now they're doing it themselves, for pretty much the same reasons, but still insisting no they are super great progressives while denying racism and throwing minorities out the car window. I am not hell-bent on equating talk of refocusing on class issues with proof of lefty racism, I'm pointing out people are being absolute shitheads and claiming that minorities and their issues robbed the poor white man of his class attention.

Class issues and race issues are intensely intertwined. This is not a thing that can just be unraveled while ignoring the other, and if people think saying 'maybe stop killing so many black people' occasionally is somehow taking over the entire DNC platform with identity politics, as has been implied and stated outright in this thread, then yes I'm going to go 'wow what a shithead you are'. This doesn't mean I don't care about class, but the reactions I've been getting to just saying 'Trump supporters are racists, white people have a big problem they need to address, and choosing not to vote against a fascist because you're mad at the centrist Democrat is maybe not a great idea when the cost is so high' have been loving magical.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

pocket pool posted:

The replacement is gonna' be TREMENDOUS!

The replacement is literally going to be "Have a savings account that is yuge enough to cover medical expenses. Can't afford that? gently caress you, die in a gutter."

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Momentary digression- the Facebook posts I see about lobbying to flip electoral college members are all bullshit, right? There's no expectation among realistic people that that's something that could happen?

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Yes, this, basically.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Who What Now posted:

So then what's the harm in shaming them?

None, if you do not get overzealous and start insulting people who think basically the same things as you, only have differently ordered preferences.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

steinrokkan posted:

His point is that the hate crime people are not former independents or former Democrats.
I've seen crosstabs (can't find them right now) that says that Democratic voters crossed over to vote Trump in many of the counties that flipped Obama to Trump.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Armani posted:

We literally had Dylan Roof and lynchings but but but people lie

Lmao get the f u c k o u t

Dylan Roof claimed in his own writing that the racial hysteria surrounding trayvon martin is what set him off.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

haveblue posted:

Momentary digression- the Facebook posts I see about lobbying to flip electoral college members are all bullshit, right? There's no expectation among realistic people that that's something that could happen?

29 states have legally bound electors

the rest could literally vote for whomever they want

(they won't though and that's about as fuckin stupid as people thinking trump is gonna pull a dictator for life)

sumie
Mar 29, 2006
GUERNSEY (adj.)

Queasy but umbowed. The kind of feeling one gets when discovering a
plastic compartment in a fridge in which thing are growing.

Mozi posted:

The markets have no idea what to do so they are switching to the default 'Republicans control 3 branches of government' plan.

An unknown but huge amount of risk has been injected into every facet of the global economic system - large enough and unquantifiable enough to make it impossible to react properly. So they are just cruising along until something terrible happens and will react then.

Yeah, I sold most of my US equities yesterday except a select few. We might enjoy the ride for a while, but I'm not enjoying the economic uncertainty in the future.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Deified Data posted:

The revisionism began election night when Trumpists realized they were winning and suddenly had to adopt an air of legitimacy and appearing to be the "reasonable" ones in contrast to the people rightly losing their minds over the guy who promised to deport them being elected the next POTUS.

These people need to be reminded of what they supported each and every day for the next 4 years. Labeling Mexicans rapists. The promise to jail his opponent if he won. The Muslim ban. The veiled threats couched in 2nd Amendment language. The Russian connections. The endorsement of the KKK (bigotry played no part!).

This was always going to be our job. It doesn't change with the balance of power.

The media seems to have already forgotten it (remember pointing out racism makes white people feel bad) so it's up to everyone else to make sure he doesn't get to walk away from his racist campaign as if it didn't happen.

I'm actually really nervous that media outlets know that they were complicit in this and are going to try and whitewash everything because they don't want to be blamed for the horrible stuff that's about to hit. There will be questions why they were derelict in their duty and treated his campaign as a joke instead of the tremendous threat that it was.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've seen crosstabs (can't find them right now) that says that Democratic voters crossed over to vote Trump in many of the counties that flipped Obama to Trump.

That's not controversial, and it is in no way a refutation of what I said. Just because they crossed party lines doesn't mean they became part of the established fringe.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Electoral betrayal would require such a grand conspiracy to actually not fall flat on its face that it's unlikely to ever happen.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

wait has the narrative shifted to "this had nothing to do with race/gender"

i need to know what i'll be screaming as i'm frogmarched into the open grave by trump shock troops

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Dylan Roof claimed in his own writing that the racial hysteria surrounding trayvon martin is what set him off.

I'm not going to go and read some racist's manifesto or whatever, but are you actually saying that Dylan Roof blamed his victims for what he did?

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Let's not gloss over the fact that the hysteria was completely warranted.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

quote:

Class issues and race issues are intensely intertwined. This is not a thing that can just be unraveled while ignoring the other, and if people think saying 'maybe stop killing so many black people' occasionally is somehow taking over the entire DNC platform with identity politics, as has been implied and stated outright in this thread, then yes I'm going to go 'wow what a shithead you are'. This doesn't mean I don't care about class, but the reactions I've been getting to just saying 'Trump supporters are racists, white people have a big problem they need to address, and choosing not to vote against a fascist because you're mad at the centrist Democrat is maybe not a great idea when the cost is so high' have been loving magical.
All of this. The economic narrative overlooks that the voters' anger was aimed specifically at people of color. Crime is up (it's not) because of the Mexicans (it's not). I'll help the black people in the ghettos (where they don't live). Anti-Semitic dogwhistles.

It ain't just about the economy.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

And what I am saying is that what flipped this people was probably not their rooted hate for black people or their desire to do hate crimes under an orange clown man president.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

kartikeya posted:

Minorities reporting getting harassed and attacked for being minorities by Trump supporters, let's call them liars trying to cheat us out of our sympathy: the ethical argument.

I am not letting my anger get in the way of a good discussion, because this is a garbage discussion about people getting hurt and not being believed. You're the only one who seems to think you're having a philosophical debate.

Someone retweeting a screenshot of an iMessage app showing a conversation that says "he got beat up just for walking" is prime STDH territory.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zelder posted:

i need to know what i'll be screaming as i'm frogmarched into the open grave by trump shock troops

yeah dems in this thread saying we need to reach out to white nationalists to win in 2020 and that race had nothing to do with trump winning

it's genuinely incredible

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deified Data posted:

And you must be reminded what Hillary offered as an alternative: poo poo all. For each racist remark, Trump at least promised them something tangible as a reward for their vote (promise being the key word, before you delve into the obvious).

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

WampaLord posted:

You've gone off the deep end man. Did you hear the poo poo Trump supporters were yelling at his rallies?

To claim none of this is about bigotry is burying your head in the sand.

The few thousand Trump supporters that show up at rallys are not equal to the millions that voted for him. Nobody cares about Trumps white supremacist block. We care about his fed up with neoliberal economics block.

If you really thinks it was all just racism, then that means 3/4 of whites and about 1/3 of Hispanics are just evil racists. If that's true then might as well give up the fight.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Zelder posted:

From idiots but they were probably saying that racism is over before this.

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

The few thousand Trump supporters that show up at rallys are not equal to the millions that voted for him. Nobody cares about Trumps white supremacist block. We care about his fed up with neoliberal economics block.

If you really thinks it was all just racism, then that means 3/4 of whites and about 1/3 of Hispanics are just evil racists. If that's true then might as well give up the fight.

The Democrats already have a "fed up with Neoliberal politics" block, they just didn't vote. You don't need to dip into Trump's cesspool to get votes when they are right there. Stop acting like 100% of the country voted when turnout was one of the lowest in recent history and the only way to shift this is to bleed Trumpists.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Nov 10, 2016

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

John_A_Tallon posted:

This is the literal definition of a personal opinion.

You do not have anything close to resembling a thought-out rational map to your actions because no one does, humans do not actually work the way you say here. You barely do, I wager, and have the Internet as the secondary filter to even write out your thoughts in a measured way that does not exist in a face to face reality.

Talk to some actual people that aren't through your phone. It might shock you how wrong your opinion and system really are.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Bad Decision Dino posted:

And what I am saying is that what flipped this people was probably not their rooted hate for black people or their desire to do hate crimes under an orange clown man president.

[citation needed]

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I do not think it was ALL just racism, but that idiot thinks it has NOTHING to do with racism.

The truth is actually in the middle here.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Who What Now posted:

So then what's the harm in shaming them?
There isn't any. Shame away. Trump voters and their racism should not be normalized or treated with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

We care about his fed up with neoliberal economics block.

we actually don't care about that

hillary won a plurality of votes even with democratic turnout way way down

so many of y'all thinking we need to connect with these fuckers when we really need to ramp up the progressive messaging--a large part of which will be to tell these people to gently caress off

• Locked thread