Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

pocket pool posted:

Let's not gloss over the fact that the hysteria was completely warranted.

In many ways yes, but racial issues will set people off. Framing of issues is incredibly important, which mobs aren't very good at doing, understandably.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

If you really thinks it was all just racism, then that means 3/4 of whites and about 1/3 of Hispanics are just evil racists. If that's true then might as well give up the fight.

Racism is a bit more nuanced than you make it sound here. It isn't like every person who is racist is some cartoony KKK member out trying to lynch black people.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

we've run the numbers and this was 69% motivated by racism, 420% motivated by sexism, and 28008% motivated by economic anxiety

turn that last number upside on your calculator now!!

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

[citation needed]
"Oh man, I voted for two terms of Obama but I could really go for some HATE CRIMES right now."

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

So, just to be clear:
Trump talks about the economy : This election was about the economy.
Trump is racist and issues anti-Semitic dogwhistles: This election was not about bigotry.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Dylan Roof claimed in his own writing that the racial hysteria surrounding trayvon martin is what set him off.

This post.

CAROL
Oct 29, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
im glad as hell americans voted a thin-skinned narcissist to rule over the atomic bomb decision.

basically a really good prank call could set off world war 3-4

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Kilroy posted:

A handful of posters in USPOL != the Democratic party.

I've seen no indication that the lesson the Democrats are taking from this is that they need to run to the right. I know you are hell-bent on equating any talk of refocusing on class issues to be proof of some renewed racism on the left... but that is not the case.

While we're on the subject I think we're really, really lucky that Bernie Sanders ran and that he had the success that he did. If he had not then the liberals in the DNC would be able to make a much more convincing case that the answer is more triangulation. It's because of his primary run that they absolutely can not make that argument now.

This 100%

Kilroy is on fire 🔥

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

afeelgoodpoop posted:

In many ways yes, but racial issues will set people off. Framing of issues is incredibly important, which mobs aren't very good at doing, understandably.

You're starting to make the argument that white people are inherently unstable which is an odd path to start going down.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Sharkopath posted:

You're starting to make the argument that white people are inherently unstable which is an odd path to start going down.

How about "people are inherently unstable, and pointing their rage at minorities works."

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

i wonder how much of this "the election wasn't about race ablooooooo" bullshit is honestly from a part of people's brains where they can't reconcile that their friends, coworkers and parents are actually racists

it's way easier to say that my parents voted for trump because of ~~~the economy~~~ so i don't have to see them at christmas and tell them that they're complicit in racism

Arsenic Lupin posted:

How about "people are inherently unstable, and pointing their rage at minorities works."

this is undeniably true basically since the dawn of time

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Sharkopath posted:

....wellll...........

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Bad Decision Dino posted:

"Oh man, I voted for two terms of Obama but I could really go for some HATE CRIMES right now."

I think it is fair to say that there have been some racial events between 2012 and now that could certainly have changed how some voters look at race issues in America. Again, racism is a bit more nuanced then you are portraying it to be.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams
I still never got an an answer to why any of you voted Trump that wasn't 'hillary' btw. What the hell does the actual end game of your vote look like? You got the dude, tell me what you're going to get out of it.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Aware that this is just me extrapolating the points of your posts but: Racial hysteria is real and a very serious concern -> It's a concern because when white people are afraid of imminent racial conflict it is natural for them to commit heinous violence against minorities -> therefore we should be very careful when discussing race.

John_A_Tallon
Nov 22, 2000

Oh my! Check out that mitre!

Armani posted:

This is the literal definition of a personal opinion.

You do not have anything close to resembling a thought-out rational map to your actions because no one does, humans do not actually work the way you say here. You barely do, I wager, and have the Internet as the secondary filter to even write out your thoughts in a measured way that does not exist in a face to face reality.

Talk to some actual people that aren't through your phone. It might shock you how wrong your opinion and system really are.

You may not want to believe it, but it's true. People largely don't care about stuff that doesn't affect them. Yeah, there's a real problem out there right now, but a lot of people aren't going to care because that's just how they are. Sometimes it's a defense mechanism, a way to avoid going nuts over a world of poo poo. Sometimes it's casual racism or classism or just plain old ignorance. Sometimes it's just a matter of having higher priorities like getting through the next shift without getting fired or complained about or assaulted or whatever.

It sucks, but it's what I've seen.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Dylan Roof claimed in his own writing that the racial hysteria surrounding trayvon martin is what set him off.

Please, tell us more how black people are at fault for all the violence brought against them.

pocket pool posted:

Let's not gloss over the fact that the hysteria was completely warranted.

If he didn't afeelgoodpoop sure is.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, just to be clear:
Trump is racist and issues anti-Semitic dogwhistles: This election was not about bigotry.
Trump has a mediocre plan on economy reform : Hillary really loved them banks, and hosed over the popular dude who was all about economic reform.
Trump is a bigoted orange clown man : Hillary is a well documented progressive

Conclusion: White people love them some hate crimes.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Armani posted:

This is the literal definition of a personal opinion.

You do not have anything close to resembling a thought-out rational map to your actions because no one does, humans do not actually work the way you say here. You barely do, I wager, and have the Internet as the secondary filter to even write out your thoughts in a measured way that does not exist in a face to face reality.

Talk to some actual people that aren't through your phone. It might shock you how wrong your opinion and system really are.

you know you've lost track of the game when your argument is "get out and talk to REAL people, nerd" *flexes so hard that shirt shoots off like a pressurized bullet*

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Sharkopath posted:

Aware that this is just me extrapolating the points of your posts but: Racial hysteria is real and a very serious concern -> It's a concern because when white people are afraid of imminent racial conflict it is natural for them to commit heinous violence against minorities -> therefore we should be very careful when discussing race.

Basically arguing this for real.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]

Zelder posted:

wait has the narrative shifted to "this had nothing to do with race/gender"

i need to know what i'll be screaming as i'm frogmarched into the open grave by trump shock troops

Nobody is saying that racial and gender issues aren't important. People are saying it had nothing to do with that because racists and sexists aren't the reason Trump won. The reason Trump won is because Hillary voters did not turn out.

Democrats do not have to appeal to racists and sexists to win now. That is not what's happening. They just have to choose a better candidate that can turn out their base better. Racists and sexists do not matter and will only become more and more irrelevant as the years go by.

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Sharkopath posted:

This post.

I hope that dude posts like an even bigger victim of his own whiteness for the next couple of years while he runs out of things and people to blame lmao maybe the other dude can run a fund

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Arsenic Lupin posted:

So, just to be clear:

It's about bigotry to the extent that it confirmed that people are not bothered by bigotry if they smell benefits for themselves, which speaks of a lack of empathy born of depravity. It's not about bigotry in the sense that Trump actively attracted new armies of voters because he was openly bigoted. The vocal bigots were organized into their GOP enclaves way back. It also showed that lots of Democrats are depressed enough that even open bigotry by the other party isn't enough to make them active, so there needs to be another component to their campaigning. Hillary narrowly beat Trump in arithmetics, but against any other GOP candidate, even Romney, her loss of millions of voters would have made her figures look loving ridiculous.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Trump has a mediocre nonexistent plan on economy reform : Hillary really loved them banks, and hosed over the popular dude who was all about economic reform.
Trump is a bigoted orange clown man : Hillary is a well documented progressive

Conclusion: White people love them some hate crimes.
FTFY.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
It looks like Chief Justice Lowtax overturned exmarx's Donate To RAINN Act so expect a bunch of TOXX bans soon.

afeelgoodpoop
Oct 14, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Sharkopath posted:

Their's been a few in the other direction, though I think only at police?

Their are probably hundreds of thousands of paranoid meth addicted white men in this country so sure, you can look at it like that.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

The plan is that we're gonna' make it great, what more do you need, huh?

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Queering Wheel posted:

Nobody is saying that racial and gender issues aren't important. People are saying it had nothing to do with that because racists and sexists aren't the reason Trump won. The reason Trump won is because Hillary voters did not turn out.

Democrats do not have to appeal to racists and sexists to win now. That is not what's happening. They just have to choose a better candidate that can turn out their base better. Racists and sexists do not matter and will only become more and more irrelevant as the years go by.

steinrokkan posted:

It's about bigotry to the extent that it confirmed that people are not bothered by bigotry if they smell benefits for themselves, which speaks of a lack of empathy born of depravity. It's not about bigotry in the sense that Trump actively attracted new armies of voters because he was openly bigoted. The vocal bigots were organized into their GOP enclaves way back. It also showed that lots of Democrats are depressed enough that even open bigotry by the other party isn't enough to make them active.
This.

Yes, his plan was fake and dogshit, but he talked about having a plan enough that desperate people bought it. Hillary's plan was 'double down on bank and maybe they will be cool this time'.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

also serious question does trumps plan of "i'm going to fix everything, trust me, we're going to do great, it'll be great" legit count as focusing on economic issues. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, i feel like of all trump's plans, that's always been the vaguest and most straight up "wish fulfillment" of the things he says at rallies/in policies. Is that really all it takes to make the argument that he reached out to white america's economic concerns?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

It looks like Chief Justice Lowtax overturned exmarx's Donate To RAINN Act so expect a bunch of TOXX bans soon.

Where'd that happen?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Race, gender, and status were used by the establishment as a way to rile up voters and get them to vote their way. We've all been hoodwinked.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

afeelgoodpoop posted:

Their's been a few in the other direction, though I think only at police?

Their are probably hundreds of thousands of paranoid meth addicted white men in this country so sure, you can look at it like that.

I'm convinced, we need to criminalize whiteness.

(This is a joke, it is using ironic humor to poke fun at the oddness of the sentiment that because all white people can be incredibly dangerous it is best to not do anything to set them off or make them uncomfortable; Does not actually espouse a view that I believe all white people are criminals)

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Zelder posted:

we've run the numbers and this was 69% motivated by racism, 420% motivated by sexism, and 28008% motivated by economic anxiety

turn that last number upside on your calculator now!!

I tried on my phone calculator but the screen flipped :saddowns:

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Where'd that happen?

Lowtax posted:

Okay, gonna have to side with tradition and rules on this one, and unfortunately going to have to go over a moderator's head, which I absolutely do not ever like doing.

Toxx clause is a toxx clause and the people going into it knew exactly what they were doing and what would happen if they lost. Arbitrarily changing the punishment at the last minute further cement D&D as a leftist echo chamber and not actually a place where people of both sides can debate and discuss. I didn't vote for Trump and do not like Trump, but this whole thing really comes off as an arbitrary change to the rules for no reason but a political agenda. I will be enforcing the forum rules later.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

1-800-DOCTORB posted:

All part of the "Let's Make Something Awful Again!" campaign.

Can't have money going to victims of rape when a campaign to bring money into this site is running.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Queering Wheel posted:

-Hillary ran a poo poo campaign and was unlucky to be on the tail end of people finally giving up on neoliberalism as it failed for two decades.
-Trump's campaign was racist and sexist to the core and the people that voted for him either are massively bigoted or at best don't give a poo poo about being being horrible. There were enough of these people to almost get to Romney levels of support which is a large percentage of the country.

These aren't mutually exclusive. Hillary can be a gently caress up that threw this away but don't act like she just had to beat some nebulous score in order to win. Trump people came out and voted for a racist campaign and that's a big problem. If even less lovely people voted for trump (I'll give the Republican voters SOME credit that they all didn't turn out) she would have won.

Zelder posted:

also serious question does trumps plan of "i'm going to fix everything, trust me, we're going to do great, it'll be great" legit count as focusing on economic issues. I'm not trying to be sarcastic, i feel like of all trump's plans, that's always been the vaguest and most straight up "wish fulfillment" of the things he says at rallies/in policies. Is that really all it takes to make the argument that he reached out to white america's economic concerns?

The presidential election is about feeling which Hillary and her team forgot. Trump's entire campaign was bullshit top to bottom but he had a easy to digest soundbite which at least somewhat resonated. Hillary was never able to control the narrative of her own campaign so even when she talked about economics it was lost since she had actual plans and stuff which wasn't exciting. Sadly what Trump said is enough to get people on board. People remember Obama's Change and Hope but little else about his campaign stuff.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Zelder posted:

Shillary's response was 'look at my website if you want to know my views' and that's even less. The only noteworthy policy soundbite for them was that shes gonna put coal out of business and get green jobs.

That woman was with a team of people huffing their own farts.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Voting for Obama does not make it impossible to be a bigot, you loving moron.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Waffles Inc. posted:

we actually don't care about that

hillary won a plurality of votes even with democratic turnout way way down

so many of y'all thinking we need to connect with these fuckers when we really need to ramp up the progressive messaging--a large part of which will be to tell these people to gently caress off

The number of people that voted in this election was abysmal. We need to get more people to vote. We definitely need to connect with more voters or else voting numbers are gonna continue to drop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

I swear, if some idiot tries to make a sitcom about the Obamas staying in Washington after leaving office until their daughter graduates I'm gonna hunt down every copy of "That's my Bush" I can find and cram them so far up their asses they'll be coughing up pretzels for the rest of Trump's term.

• Locked thread