Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Grassy Knowles posted:

Put screen protectors on your diamonds, solve the problem backwards

And destroy their luxurious feel? Are you you insane ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

All I've really needed to avoid those annoying faint scratches is a case with a small lip, so if I put the phone face down the glass doesn't touch the surface.

I don't work in a sandblasting shop though.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
KEEP THAT SCREEN NAKED!

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Dr. Tim Whatley posted:

KEEP THAT SCREEN NAKED!

I've had exactly one screen scratch on my entire history of iPhones going all the way back to the 3G, and that was on my 4. Naked is the way to go.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Schpyder posted:

I've had exactly one screen scratch on my entire history of iPhones going all the way back to the 3G, and that was on my 4. Naked is the way to go.

Which is why im so baffled at why I have 4 pretty big scratches on my 7+ because my history with iphones has been the same.

Kinda pissed tbh.

Screen protectors are dumb and bad. Maybe I'll pay the 30$ to get it fixed but im not happy.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

LODGE NORTH posted:

Your other pocket.

But I have two pockets full of diamonds?

#FWP

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem
Put it in your prison pocket.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

But I have two pockets full of diamonds?

#FWP

Get your manservant to carry your phone and diamonds in the future. Wtf people, this isn't hard!

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Does anyone have the v4.4 Gmail app they could share up for download?

The new 5.0.3 is near unusable for me.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
Unless you're jailbroken, you can't share app files because each one is DRM'd to the account that downloaded it.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

tuyop posted:

Get your manservant to carry your phone and diamonds in the future. Wtf people, this isn't hard!

But he's already carrying me...

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Then get your second manservant to do it.

You really need to find a new personal assistant, they should be figuring out these trivialities for you.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

TraderStav posted:

But he's already carrying me...

In his pockets?!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Anyone have a preferred belt clip for a 7 (non-plus)? I know any is going to have to be a combo of a case and clip, but my old pick, the Otterbox for my old Samstung doesn't fit.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Tapedump posted:

Thanks for the heads-up at least.

milkaxor
Mar 5, 2003

I choose you!

Tapedump posted:

I really don't like the new update. I use it for work email and it is now less useful to me. May go back to Spark. Also, I really wish google would add more customization to the lock screen actions. Some emails I want to archive, others I want to quickly delete.

END OF AN ERROR
May 16, 2003

IT'S LEGO, not Legos. Heh

Binary Badger posted:

Anyone have a preferred belt clip for a 7 (non-plus)? I know any is going to have to be a combo of a case and clip, but my old pick, the Otterbox for my old Samstung doesn't fit.

Hold on let me time travel 11 years and find you a good belt clip brb

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Binary Badger posted:

Have you considered a fanny pack? They're more functional.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Binary Badger posted:

Does it have to match your Bluetooth earpiece ?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty
Do I really have to use a USB cable or sign up to Apple Music to transfer music from my mac to my iphone?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Binary Badger posted:

Unless you're over 45, don't clip your phone to your belt you dadgoober.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Xabi posted:

Do I really have to use a USB cable or sign up to Apple Music to transfer music from my mac to my iphone?

Initially, yes, you need to physically connect your phone to your computer to pair it with iTunes. From that point on, you can enable "sync over wifi" in your phone's main menu in iTunes, but I've heard it's pretty spotty, so I just carry a lightning->USB cable around with me.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Xabi posted:

You can use Google Play Music as an alternative

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

Sometimes on my 6s plus (10.0.2) the screen will stop registering touch completely until I hit the home button or (only once) I lock it then power the screen back up. Anyone else having this?

edit: admittedly it is very infrequent. I've owned the phone for just shy of 3 weeks and it's happened maybe about once a week so far.

thunderspanks fucked around with this message at 23:28 on Nov 9, 2016

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

thunderspanks posted:

Sometimes on my 6s plus (10.0.2) the screen will stop registering touch completely until I hit the home button or (only once) I lock it then power the screen back up. Anyone else having this?

edit: admittedly it is very infrequent. I've owned the phone for just shy of 3 weeks and it's happened maybe about once a week so far.

If you hadn't said "6s" I'd say that sounds like the beginning of the "touch disease" issue that affects the non-s 6/6 plus.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

Maneki Neko posted:

If you hadn't said "6s" I'd say that sounds like the beginning of the "touch disease" issue that affects the non-s 6/6 plus.

Yeah, that's weird for a 6S. Is it any particular app that's open when it happens, or is it just randomly doing it?

If it's one app, it could be some kind of glitch. If it happens with different stuff, you might want to exchange the phone if it's new, it sounds like a defect.

thunderspanks
Nov 5, 2003

crucify this

2 instances were in different apps. I'll keep an eye on it and look into my exchange options. Thanks guys

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Maneki Neko posted:

I dunno the details about "touch disease," other than it being caused by good ol' bendgate (something about crucial touch-related bits and bops located directly underneath the common point of bending (right below the volume down button.)) If these bitty boppies are still in the same location, I could see a 6S also succumbing to touch disease, if it is at all bent. The main differing factor being, the 6S' body was made of much stronger aluminum than the 6 was.

TL;DR - is your phone bent at all, OP?

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

enojy posted:

Initially, yes, you need to physically connect your phone to your computer to pair it with iTunes. From that point on, you can enable "sync over wifi" in your phone's main menu in iTunes, but I've heard it's pretty spotty, so I just carry a lightning->USB cable around with me.
Thanks, I'll try this.

Thrifting Day!
Nov 25, 2006

Where do the antenna lines go through on the 7?

I swear, the way I hold the phone when effects the signal and it never did on my previous iPhone6.

I get the dreaded "E" or "3G" more than I ever did before on the 6 and usually if I switch the way I hold it it'll boost back up to 4G

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
My wife's 2 year old 5s has started having battery problems: 50% drop after being unplugged, shooting up 20% when plugged in.

Is there any point doing calibration stuff or is the battery likely to need replacing?

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber

Pissflaps posted:

My wife's 2 year old 5s has started having battery problems: 50% drop after being unplugged, shooting up 20% when plugged in.

Is there any point doing calibration stuff or is the battery likely to need replacing?

A lot of battery weirdness starts to happen after 2 years. CoconutBattery for mac can read battery health on iOS devices. There's things for windows too, but they generally seem hackier.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Did something change with iPhones and autoplay when you're plugging them into a car stereo via USB? My phone isn't autoplaying the first song in alphabetical order when I start my car anymore...and I can pause music now. Before any attempt to pause would just start the song up again.

Because right now it's kind of awesome.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Krispy Kareem posted:

Did something change with iPhones and autoplay when you're plugging them into a car stereo via USB? My phone isn't autoplaying the first song in alphabetical order when I start my car anymore...and I can pause music now. Before any attempt to pause would just start the song up again.

Seems like they fixed that. My work around to the old way was renaming a 2 second sound clip "aaaaaaaaaaaaa" so that it would be the first played. Since the system still respected the shuffle option, the next song would then be (pseudo) random.

(Just putting that out there because this seems like one of those things apple is likely to gently caress up again)

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Krispy Kareem posted:

Yes, they changed this behavior in iOS 10. I don't exactly know what the current behavior is, though. It *seems* random, but it might be a random playlist of things you've loved in Apple Music (or rated highly previously, I suppose).

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
iOS 10 question: When I get a text message, I can force press on the lock screen to bring up the message and reply. If the message contains a link, I can see the little "tap to show link preview" button, but when I tap it, it asks for my passkey or TouchID to unlock the phone and open the Messages app.

Is there any way to change a privacy setting or something to allow me to see those iMessage link previews in the lock screen iMessage bubble?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Krispy Kareem posted:

The old behavior still happens to me. :(

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I didn't even mind the autoplay, but the fact I couldn't stop it from playing at all made it all more cumbersome.

I know the answer is Bluetooth, but my car only gives me steering wheel controls for music plugged into USB and not through Bluetooth.

canyonero
Aug 3, 2006

Krispy Kareem posted:

I didn't even mind the autoplay, but the fact I couldn't stop it from playing at all made it all more cumbersome.

I know the answer is Bluetooth, but my car only gives me steering wheel controls for music plugged into USB and not through Bluetooth.

Probably not important to you now that it's working with your steering wheel controls, but Siri works with audio controls. I have her pause, play, and skip all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD
If your car has bluetooth phone call support you should be able to invoke Siri from that.
On mine it's to hold down the phone key on the steering wheel for like 1.5 seconds and the "say voice tag" feature comes up on the MFD like it's a nokia from 1997.
The Siri beep will play and then I can tell her to call someone, or to send a message or open an app or whatever.