Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
holy poo poo talk about the tide turning

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chocobo
Oct 15, 2012

Here comes a new challenger!
Oven Wrangler
Mass capitulation usually comes shortly before formal surrender.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
the cool part is that there are just enough staunch defenders remaining for CIG to completely ignore all of the complaints. Anniversary Sale is gonna be a barn-burner.

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer

MeLKoR posted:

Soundtrack to set the appropriate mood while reading the "We didn't fund a company" thread.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCpivLMc3Co

Great accompaniment

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Assuming that Mr and Mrs Crobbler run off to somewhere with no extradition treaties in time, and that The Tickler in Black Ortwin has already left, who's going to end up playing the Admiral Doenitz role?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHnyQXyuTGY

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

peter gabriel posted:

This is the time for a new video I believe

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

his nibs posted:

Great accompaniment

Maybe it's because I first heard it accompanying the initial narration/imagery of La Jetee but this music always elicits feelings of despair and desolation. It really is a great piece to my non russian speaking ears.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

Assuming that Mr and Mrs Crobbler run off to somewhere with no extradition treaties in time, and that The Tickler in Black Ortwin has already left, who's going to end up playing the Admiral Doenitz role?

Lesnick or Hobo

They will be there until the doors are shuttered and the sign is taken off the building

Hobo will be seen scurrying around pulling copper from the walls

Lesnick will have to wait until the space ship door is taken out

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Yo! The Mafia supports you. But don't tell no one. Spread the word.

MeLKoR posted:

Derek couldn't pretend to be anyone else if he tried, furthermore

Hello, I'm a Hungarian chef with long hair, please excuse my poor English, but I want to mention Star Citizen for a moment..

A lot has been written about Star Citizen, the co-creators, the fans (both normal and rabid), the companies surrounding it etc. The general consensus at this point in time is that the entire project has devolved into a scam. To the extent that recently some backers looking for refunds started mass reporting the company to State and Federal authorities, who then had to step in. My sources tell me that investigations are on-going. By the time the dust settles on this, lawsuits (trust me, they’re coming), my guess is that not only will the fallout involve State officials, but also various Federal agencies including the FTC, the FBI and even the IRS (more on this in an upcoming blog). I have specifically remained silent on most of the these because obstruction is not to be trifled with. So I’m just going to leave it at that. Similarly, going online to read what people are saying about you, isn’t harassment. It’s a bruised ego. You know why all the major social media sites have tools to block unwanted engagement? That’s why. If you are on a site where you are being attacked, the simple solution is to not engage. Because if you engage, the chances of being attacked are likely higher than expected. There are those (they’re idiots) who would say that going the route of disengagement empowers the abusers, while blaming the victim. It’s pure and utter bullshit. If I know that going down a dark alley in a city known for crime is going to get me mugged, there is no way in hell that I’m going down that alley. If I am not interested in topics which offend me, or know that engaging in topics in which my opinions are likely to get me attacked, I’m not bloody likely to go to 4Chan, 8Chan, or even Reddit (which, contrary to popular belief, has sub-Reddits with an amazing, and helpful community. But if you go looking for bad stuff, you will find it). But here’s the thing; even when people use anonymous aliases online, the psychology of engagement is so profuse, that even though people are very well hidden behind the veil of anonymity, they still take offense to some discussions. On social media sites which use your real identity, it is easy to see how harassment can play a huge role in heated discourse. To the extent that even the abusers tend to hide behind the veil of anonymity, even as others go about trying to unmask them in order to hold them accountable for what they say online. For my part, I have no problems unmasking those who would otherwise seek to engage in the harassment of others. Seeking anonymity for your online protection, is completely different from seeking anonymity in order to behave badly online, engage in attacks, abuse, and harassment of others. I have unmasked several people for specifically this reason, and I will continue to do it. Actions have consequences, and the causality of actionable consequences cannot be understated. As a gamer, game developer, and avid blogger, being harassed – incessantly – is par for the course. How you react to it, makes all the difference. I just happen to be the guy who brings a flamethrower to a knife fight.

Thank you.

Dezso Samuka

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

peter gabriel posted:

the tide has been turning for like 10 months this tide sure is taking its sweet time!!!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ash1138 posted:

the tide has been turning for like 10 months this tide sure is taking its sweet time!!!

Yeah but I dunno, feels more widespread this time around

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
This too will pass.

AP
Jul 12, 2004

One Ring to fool them all
One Ring to find them
One Ring to milk them all
and pockets fully line them
Grimey Drawer
We should think about a new thread so people can tune in right when stuff collapses.

Mandibular Fiasco
Oct 14, 2012
Got approved for a refund a few days ago. How long will it take to have the money hit my PayPal account?

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE
All con's work by making the mark to think he's gaining something, with this it was that ships were an "investment" and that prices would always go up.

Break that by flogging a ship at a knockdown price and the entire basis of the justification for buying ships falls apart. They just hosed themselves for £20.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Lladre posted:

This too will pass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebtC3ORg9fU&t=46s

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

AP posted:

We should think about a new thread so people can tune in right when stuff collapses.

Does Lazrin get off probation before or after the anniversary disembowelling livestream?

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Lladre posted:

This too will pass.

No doubt, but I still think that unless CIG has something up their sleeve for the anniversary other than just another ship sale it's going to flop badly. A lot of whales, those who've been keeping the money coming in, are pissed and not in the mood to buy.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sappo569 posted:

Lesnick or Hobo

They will be there until the doors are shuttered and the sign is taken off the building

Ben will be too busy scanning literal garbage to notice that everyone else has left, so it'll be him by default. He has also proven to have the right touch to bring the news to the community that apparently he's been alone in the office for three days straight.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Mandibular Fiasco posted:

Got approved for a refund a few days ago. How long will it take to have the money hit my PayPal account?
Congratulations

I know you're eager to dump it all into another kickstarter friend but please reconsider, think of your family

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Congratulations. You had been denied before, right? Don't forget to post your refund process on /r/starcitizen_refunds

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Lesnick or Hobo

Seems logical, although this is the point where I'd be bailing out if I were either of them. Maybe start circulating some internal memos asking about things I've heard but don't believe, then quit after a few weeks. Do a big interview with a journalist explaining how I believed so much in the project but couldn't stay with it when I learnt the sad truth. Basically, get out before the crash and hope to escape the consequences. It's not like they've got to worry about finding work at other games companies, they were lucky to stumble on the one company stupid enough to hire them in the first place.

Plural Abysss
Feb 25, 2016
As a relatively early backer of the SA Star Citizen thread, I'm super excited to finally see some real progress! I knew that if we just kept the faith in Dr. Smart, he would deliver the goods.
Seeing the natives finally getting restless is like a dream come true. Looking forward to seeing the final product now more than ever.

tuo
Jun 17, 2016

two weeks

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Morningwoodpecker posted:

All con's work by making the mark to think he's gaining something, with this it was that ships were an "investment" and that prices would always go up.

Break that by flogging a ship at a knockdown price and the entire basis of the justification for buying ships falls apart. They just hosed themselves for £20.

Worse than that, if CIG starts making discounts on ships that will kill the grey market in one fell swoop. Who's going to buy anything unless it has at least 20% discount? If they do this again it will close the last exist for backers other than refunding.

Are you reading this MoMA? Unless you have secret ball pics you haven't showed us now might be the last opportunity to exit via grey market. That was your plan all along, right? If CIG does significant discounts this Anniversary sale for "fresh cash only" it will become evident they are strapped for cash and you'll be trapped in.

MeLKoR fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2016

Mr Fronts
Jan 31, 2016

Mr Fronts posted:

Does Lazrin get off probation before or after the anniversary disembowelling livestream?

Just to be clear, I'm not expecting CIG staff to actually disembowel anyone live on stream (although it would be more watchable that way).

As to what the backers will do when faced with yet another glorified ship sale/advertisement... well, that's another story.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help

It took 2 days for me, after they approved it.
Three days in total since I've made my claim. I have to admit, it was pretty much a pain-free process.

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

AbstractNapper posted:

It took 2 days for me, after they approved it.
Three days in total since I've made my claim. I have to admit, it was pretty much a pain-free process.

And people say goons ruin everything. It looks to me we streamlined and perfected CIG's refund process.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=imamcajBEJs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmgmXgoBZFo

I can't be bothered to write out the script with Crobblers as the Goblin King saying star Citizeney things and Sarah asking for a refund and talking about consumer laws, but imagine I did it :dreams:

Fatkraken fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Nov 10, 2016

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7225389/#Comment_7225389

$1000+ backer

:fap:

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Sunswipe posted:

I dont beleive uncle Ortwin made them use a 14 layers company shell structure for the fun of it. Whatever happen, in the end they will probably all walk away smelling like roses (legally speaking), the last few thousands being paid as "severance packages" to themselves.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

MeLKoR posted:

No doubt, but I still think that unless CIG has something up their sleeve for the anniversary other than just another ship sale it's going to flop badly. A lot of whales, those who've been keeping the money coming in, are pissed and not in the mood to buy.

They pretty much said the entire focus will be on ships and what the status of them are.

As for the tide turning, they are saltier than usual. Read a few posts where some have basically resigned themselves that SM won't be in 2.6 and no way in hell will 4.0 be out next year. Good times.

A Neurotic Jew
Feb 17, 2012

by exmarx
https://forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/7225434/#Comment_7225434

$2500+ backer

:fap:

Lack of Gravitas
Oct 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

aleksendr posted:

I dont beleive uncle Ortwin made them use a 14 layers company shell structure for the fun of it. Whatever happen, in the end they will probably all walk away smelling like roses (legally speaking), the last few thousands being paid as "severance packages" to themselves.

And those shell companies are undoubtedly preferred creditors so they'll get theirs before little things like overdue wages to 300+ staff are paid.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Sorry friend, Ben is too busy cataloging Wing Commander cartoon cels.

#istandwithsandi

The funny thing is I doubt Sandi had any significant role in this sale, these "cash only" sales are out of necessity, not "marketing strategy".

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

aleksendr posted:

I'm sure Ortwin will cover himself, but I can see the Roberts being the right combination of deluded, vain and stupid to accidentally go down with the ship.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Now would be the right moment for a new blog post by our bon général en chef, with many links to his previous posts as the substance.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Holy poo poo, is this guy for real? Seriously?

• Locked thread