Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DeusExMachinima posted:

:same:

Unfortunately for you, in your post that I quoted you specifically laid out being unable to use racial slurs as the reason for people calling DND an echo chamber. The court finds your defense inadmissible and may God have mercy on your soul.

Pretty sure you're confusing me with someone else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Glazier posted:

Exactly, it's hard to get people to think about the big concepts at the top when they aren't even at the bottom.

I don't recall seeing posts about how the rust belt voters don't have it bad, but I feel it's important to point something out.

Even if it is 100% solely following the hierarchy of needs that leads you to vote for a fascist bigot out of self-preservation, this makes you complicit in that bigotry at a bare minimum, and thus to some degree a bigot yourself.

It's fair to argue about why various sections of the electorate chose to vote for the bigotry but 100% of them share responsibility for the climate of harassment and violence that follows as a result. Furthermore, I'd argue that "racism and all other forms of bigotry are inherently evil" isn't even a big concept. It's like, one of the most basic ones, rural whites being absolute dogshit at understanding it doesn't somehow make it not basic.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Spoondick posted:

my belief is that americans would overwhelmingly support a genuinely progressive candidate in the general election, but the monied interests funding the dnc obstruct the progressives of the party and havent yet concluded that enacting meaningful progressive reforms is far less expensive than political and economic instability

they will soon

Yeah I bet people with a lot of money to lose are sweating hard. Neoliberalism can only push people so far before right wing fascism gains ground which Europe made plain to see but we thought we were immune.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!

biracial bear for uncut posted:

Pretty sure you're confusing me with someone else.

gently caress. After a while all the red text just blurs together.

Waffles Inc. posted:

you seem like someone who is insulated enough to think that this was a normal election

also: everyone thought hillary was going to win. it wasn't just D&D you moron

Oh, well, as long as you're in the company of other wrong retards then. Again, it's no one thing. The superiority complex coupled with being wrong definitely makes it fun to drive DND up a wall.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

PKJC posted:

I don't recall seeing posts about how the rust belt voters don't have it bad, but I feel it's important to point something out.

Even if it is 100% solely following the hierarchy of needs that leads you to vote for a fascist bigot out of self-preservation, this makes you complicit in that bigotry at a bare minimum, and thus to some degree a bigot yourself.

It's fair to argue about why various sections of the electorate chose to vote for the bigotry but 100% of them share responsibility for the climate of harassment and violence that follows as a result. Furthermore, I'd argue that "racism and all other forms of bigotry are inherently evil" isn't even a big concept. It's like, one of the most basic ones, rural whites being absolute dogshit at understanding it doesn't somehow make it not basic.

Rural whites are dogshit at it because they're busy making sure their trailer doesn't get towed away for nonpayment of their parking fee. You can't expect these people to be as educated as you are about the sociopolitical implications of their vote, and you're drat sure not going to get them out to vote for your candidate by harping on about how awful they are.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Bad Decision Dino posted:

What about the Trump voters who, you know, weren't white?

You're right, I misspoke. White nationalism has gotten so much air time lately that I've started using it as a synonym for any generic racist but there are as many varieties of racist as their are insects in the Amazon.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

PKJC posted:

Also a lot of those Rust Belt voters have been specifically voting away that stuff in the form of Republican politicians for years because of racial politics and the Southern Strategy. They don't get to suddenly act like Democrats were the problem all along for not doing enough when they were happily voting for guys that campaigned on disbanding welfare and medicaid and that racism has no bearing on anything.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

DeusExMachinima posted:

You can thank whoever is buying red titles for people that post in the designated ghetto threads.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder if we will see a backwards shift culturally similar to what happened during Reagan's administration. Things got really conservative really quick in film , television, etc...
In a sense we never recovered from that anyway. The reason you don't really see any movies that are critical of the US military in any way that would matter, is that Reagan first: insisted that studios which work with the military to portray them in films, show them in a positive or neutral light; which eventually led the situation today where the military will basically blacklist any studio that dares to anything other than suck the cock of the MilInd complex.

It makes a lot of films unbearable to watch but god forbid Americans be shown frank perspectives on the horrors of war.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

cmon DeusExMachinima don't act like you had the inside track to "trump defies literally all conventional polling" or that this was a widespread idea

i think pretty much everyone except for like, bill mitchell was looking at a hillary win

Armani
Jun 22, 2008

Now it's been 17 summers since I've seen my mother

But every night I see her smile inside my dreams

Waffles Inc. posted:

but i thought both sides were the same!!

Democrats are sad, and trump was voted in under angry and dire actions. No one is honestly happy right now where I am, which is red as hell. No kids went to school, people stayed home and smoked up. That's the closest equivalence between them for me.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

I'm not sure you realise how many foreigners were in the SS.
Fine, Trump is literally Hitler, the GOP is now literally the Nazi party and we are weeks away from every minority being throw into mass graves. Everyone who voted Trump will get their brown shirt in the mail shortly everyone is getting their Jew Star soon after.

Glad we could have this fruitful discussion about why the Democratic party lost 6 million voters in 4 years.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Hollismason posted:

I kind of wonder if we will see a backwards shift culturally similar to what happened during Reagan's administration. Things got really conservative really quick in film , television, etc...

I mean 24 came out during Bush II where torture saves the world. I think it depends on how popular Trump ends up being. Right now he's hated by most people but WHO KNOWS.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

buddy if you think black people can't be white supremacists then you've never met my uncle

he is an extremely pitiable man

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Is Trump a fan of nuclear?

With Harry Reid gone maybe we'll actually get some more nuclear plants and yucca mountain storage.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

I didn't realize that 1/4th of hispanics and asians in the US were literally a part of the KKK.

Even 1/4 represents millions, but I guess discounting minority opinion is only racist if you're not a democrat.

You don't have any idea what that graph actually says.

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Zelder posted:

cmon DeusExMachinima don't act like you had the inside track to "trump defies literally all conventional polling" or that this was a widespread idea

i think pretty much everyone except for like, bill mitchell was looking at a hillary win

I did think Hillary was going to win. You can find my posts eagerly awaiting conservative meltdowns post-election in the Freep thread. What I don't also do is imply that anyone who disagrees with me is a retard or closet racist. Sometimes it's true but all the time? DND does it constantly and as a result you're the target of mockery for it and get easily trolled. The QCS thread bitching about black posters getting probated for engaging obvious trolls was especially hilarious, even though I totally agree the mods should stop using their psychic mind powers to determine the race of a poster before banning them.

DeusExMachinima fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Nov 10, 2016

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah ninth layer mostly it wasn't voter supression, it was people choosing not to vote. Also lol if you think that the left is dead due to this, The USA was far worse 96 years ago. Guess what? The Left elected FDR then.

FDR wasn't going against half the country indoctrinated by modern television and internet media.

Bad Decision Dino
Aug 3, 2010

We'll invade Russia.

Who What Now posted:

You don't have any idea what that graph actually says.
Why don't you enlighten me. :allears:

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

greatn posted:

Is Trump a fan of nuclear?

With Harry Reid gone maybe we'll actually get some more nuclear plants and yucca mountain storage.

He's a fan but probably not in the way you are asking.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

DeusExMachinima posted:

Oh, well, as long as you're in the company of other wrong retards then. Again, it's no one thing. The superiority complex coupled with being wrong definitely makes it fun to drive DND up a wall.

I don't know dude... Our statistics professor sent out an email of contrition regarding his own model. Most of academia is doing the same.

But you know, gently caress those academic 'retards' who have spent their lives doing nothing but literally learning. You're a much wiser and smarter person I'm sure.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

DeusExMachinima posted:

I did think Hillary was going to win. You can find my posts eagerly awaiting conservative meltdowns post-election in the Freep thread. What I don't also do is imply that anyone who disagrees with me is a retard or closet racist. Sometimes it's true but all the time? DND does it constantly and as a result you're the target of mockery for it and get easily trolled. The QCS thread bitching about black posters getting probated for engaging obvious trolls was especially hilarious, even though I totally agree the mods should stop using their psychic mind powers to determine the race of a poster before banning them.

ah i think i misread you, my apologies. i thought you were saying that people who thought that hillary was going to win were in the company of retards.

Why don't you enlighten me. :allears:

has anyone ever used this emote and also made a good post

WorldsStongestNerd
Apr 28, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

PKJC posted:

It's human nature to put your own needs before the needs of others. This isn't restricted to white people. It sucks, and it's unfair, but it's the truth. Instead of complaining about it find a way to intersect civil rights and labor movements and then sell that platform to America for guaranteed progressive victorys.

The dems said "we don't give a poo poo about the needs of poor whites" and the response was "ok then we don't give a poo poo about your agenda for minority rights". You have to do both at the same time.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

DeusExMachinima posted:

I agree it is a good time to make fun of people worried about Donald trump winning an election

You're delusional

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Radish posted:

Replace Trump with "Republican party" then. Is there a chance they move nuclear energy forward purely out of it being something liberals (supposedly) don't like?

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

edit to above: CLEAN COAL & ANWR

I find myself thinking terrible things, like the upside of them gutting the ACA is that a lot of the preventable deaths will be among the Republican's base.

I didn't realize that 1/4th of hispanics and asians in the US were literally a part of the KKK.

Even 1/4 represents millions, but I guess discounting minority opinion is only racist if you're not a democrat.

This may be a shock to you but ethnic groups are not homogeneous. There are more than a few Hispanics who would quite happily have all Mexicans deported from this country because they're not Mexican, completely ignoring that to a typical racist person if you look Hispanic you're Mexican.

Taerkar fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 10, 2016

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

The dems said "we don't give a poo poo about the needs of poor whites" and the response was "ok then we don't give a poo poo about your agenda for minority rights". You have to do both at the same time.

They didn't, and you'll find that Hillary won more votes. Enthusiasm is what won and lost the election

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Radish posted:

Well for him it's just the power, the devastation is very important to him.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

If y'all really want to get dark and depressing, look at the state control numbers.

38 is the magic number. 38 is 75% of 50.

When the republicans completely control 38 state governments, they will be able to amend the constitution at will. Edit the 1st Amendment to give us a state religion. Make the 2nd clear enough to not be open to interpretation. Don't need a conservative Supreme Court majority if you can just add a gay marriage ban to the ol' Constitution.

Personally, I figure they'll abuse this power three times, tops, before we have a civil war.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

did i miss the rally where hillary clinton bayed for the blood of poor white babies

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Waffles Inc. posted:

I agree it is a good time to make fun of people worried about Donald trump winning an election

You're delusional

It is, actually. Setting this up as some sort of grand trauma and declaring it off limits for jokes is exactly antithetical to what humor-and this website-are about. The more you whine about it, the more of it you'll see, because you're not the arbiter. Grow up.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Kilroy posted:

Okay fair enough. I agree and said something to this effect upthread. For all the talk about minority turnout, Clinton still crushed it with AA and Hispanics. White liberals would have handed this election to Clinton but they didn't show up to the polls, and that is a terrible thing. As I also mentioned upthread I agree that fixing that is something that will largely fall on white liberals who do take racial issues seriously. For myself I've got a few people in my social circle who fit this to a T and while I was already trying to explain to them why they're idiots, I will redouble efforts there and as it turns out I've got some pretty loving strong evidence of same in the form of this week.

Okay, and now comes the part where I'm going to piss you off:

That can only accomplish so much. I am probably not eloquent enough or famous enough to even convince some of my idiot friends to get their poo poo together. I am probably in the overwhelming majority in this. If it were otherwise, cultural change would come quickly and not take decades. But, we don't have decades, we have two years to reorganize the Democratic party into something that can win the House and Senate in 2018. That is, to put it lightly, a tall loving order. It can be done but that path to that will not depend heavily on getting a few white liberals to convince enough other white liberals that racial issues are seriously, lethally important. It will, I suspect, depend an awful lot on refocusing on issues that more of the Democratic base can personally relate to - but (and I suspect you already know this but I want to reiterate it), that is not an abandonment racial issues.

That's the lay of the land as I see it. And it loving sucks. I'm loving gutted by the results of this election - I can't imagine what PoC must be going through. We let you down. My priority is that it doesn't happen again.

I don't think Congress can be taken back in 2018 (maaaaybe the House if there's a big enough wave), but state legislatures are way more important and we're going to need as many of them as possible by 2020 or risk losing the House for another decade. I think the biggest factor, beyond Dem restructuring, will be how people react to the Trump administration once it becomes a concrete thing and not some vague idea in peoples' heads. The GOP will have more power than ever, but total control puts them in a new and potentially damaging situation. They've been able to spend the last eight years as the opposition party that can blame everything on Obama without having to do anything, and they reaped the rewards of people turning on Obama for not solving their problems with what they perceived to be a public mandate and control of the government. Everything that happens now will be fully on them; there's literally no Dems in control of government to scapegoat and now they have to be on the defensive to keep that control like the Dems have been since 2010.

The GOP's policies (stuff like the bathroom bills and gutting healthcare without a suitable replacement a la KyNect) aren't actually that popular, or at least not as popular as the policies people have projected on the GOP. That's the big problem for Trump; he won the election because he was a blank slate that his supporters could project whatever they wanted on, and he would just agree with whatever got the crowd going. People could believe that he was an extremist or a secret moderate, or that he would solve a problem in a certain way because he never actually had a platform, or outlined plans, or even previous political convictions (beyond "more money for me" and "gently caress browns"). Just like how everyone projected their hopes and dreams on Obama in 08 and then got disappointed in the real deal, there's going to be a serious disillusionment between campaign Trump and President Trump when people realize that they didn't get the president they thought they were getting. But while people didn't like Obama because it seemed like he couldn't get anything done, Trump is in an inverse situation where he's going to get a lot done but people aren't going to be happy with it. Ironically, Trump would probably be in a better position had the Dems won the Senate, because then he could have a target to blame and continue to make vague empty promises about how awesome things would be if it weren't for damned gridlock in Congress.

I'm not a believer in accelerationism and a lot of bad poo poo is about to happen that will probably directly affect me, but longterm I think this situation was inevitable and needed to fully restructure and reenergize the Democrats. I don't necessarily think the Dems' current platform is wrong, but they need to excite their voters and they need to promote candidates that can provide that excitement. Dems have a chronic turnout problem and if two years of Trump can't fix that then I don't know what will.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zelder posted:

did i miss the rally where hillary clinton bayed for the blood of poor white babies

Must have been the same one where she put race as a "central point" of the campaign like that one poster claimed

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

FuturePastNow posted:

If y'all really want to get dark and depressing, look at the state control numbers.

38 is the magic number. 38 is 75% of 50.

When the republicans completely control 38 state governments, they will be able to amend the constitution at will. Edit the 1st Amendment to give us a state religion. Make the 2nd clear enough to not be open to interpretation. Don't need a conservative Supreme Court majority if you can just add a gay marriage ban to the ol' Constitution.

Personally, I figure they'll abuse this power three times, tops, before we have a civil war.

How many do they currently control? Last I heard it was 31.

Squashing Machine posted:

It is, actually. Setting this up as some sort of grand trauma and declaring it off limits for jokes is exactly antithetical to what humor-and this website-are about. The more you whine about it, the more of it you'll see, because you're not the arbiter. Grow up.

Yep.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Squashing Machine posted:

It is cool and good to laugh at people losing their insurance and trans people being afraid for their lives all is well time for jokes

What a neat and fun person you are! Jokes yay!

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

At least in the future we will be able to point at this time as proof that accelerationists are complete loving idiots.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug
also we're probably not getting single-payer in America, ever

https://twitter.com/bshor/status/796746604363575296

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

Waffles Inc. posted:

It is cool and good to laugh at people losing their insurance and trans people being afraid for their lives all is well time for jokes

What a neat and fun person you are! Jokes yay!

You guuuuuuuuuuys take my posting seriously you guuuuuys! If you don't you don't care about blacks/trans/women IRL!

Thanks for demonstrating exactly what I was talking about when I said superiority complex.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

waffles you may wanna disengage from the internet for a while. That's what i did yesterday, and i feel much better today

DeusExMachinima posted:

You guuuuuuuuuuys take my posting seriously you guuuuuys! If you don't you don't care about blacks/trans/women IRL!

Thanks for demonstrating exactly what I was talking about when I said superiority complex.

neither of you are coming out of this looking very good, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Radish posted:

Also a lot of those Rust Belt voters have been specifically voting away that stuff in the form of Republican politicians for years because of racial politics and the Southern Strategy. They don't get to suddenly act like Democrats were the problem all along for not doing enough when they were happily voting for guys that campaigned on disbanding welfare and medicaid and that racism has no bearing on anything.

Bullshit. This rightwing swing occurred well after Democrats essentially abandoned the Union vote and labor in seventies and eighties. When your limp dick, half assed defense of labor ends with your constitutes who you are supposed to fight for losing jobs and benefits, don't be surprised when they abandoned you. gently caress why wouldn't they gently caress over the Dems after they let and champion poo poo like NAFTA and TPP?

Hillary offered them nothing, while her boosters and celebrity mouthpieces told them to check their privilege. Trump told them the evil Mexicans were behind this, and with the them gone, would get their jobs and security back. It might be insanely hard to hear but they needed to be appealed too and she failed to do so.

Also complaining about something being unfair is irrelevant. Democrats have proven to need the white working class vote to win.

https://www.jacobinmag.com/2016/10/democratic-party-clinton-trump-white-voters-workers/

• Locked thread