Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

My relatives in Ukraine are all really happy about Trump because "Clinton wanted to start WWIII" "Clinton wanted war with russia" "Clinton wants to re-start the cold war"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

My relatives in Ukraine are all really happy about Trump because "Clinton wanted to start WWIII" "Clinton wanted war with russia" "Clinton wants to re-start the cold war"

I going to feel sorry for your relatives next summer.

This is even after Trump's talk about Ukraine?

Gaj
Apr 30, 2006
They wont loving react until they feel the effects. My general family and Ukrainian associates are universally "why do you care about the gays, you are not gay married" "you are not getting an abortion, so why do you care?"

Ignorance and FYGM are circular and thus self sustaining. They wont react until there is some political concession to Russia, which god willing, a republican congress wont allow.

BigRoman
Jun 19, 2005

Gaj posted:

Im worried that as a Ukrainian American, most of my fellow Slavs are pro Trump, despite the fact he has little love for NATO or care for Ukraine. When I point this out they go silent. This is one of the leading Ukrainian fraternal sites on the east coast http://www.soyuzivka.com/ . They still have black face Halloween parties and are basically a Slavic Bohemian Grove, but poor and with cocaine. These are the white folk who are the decedents of war refugees and are now saying the Muslims shouldn't be let in because they cant be trusted (like the communists). This is basically a moneyed middle class white demographic that is whole FYGM.

Whats hosed up is that "we" have charities in open street fairs in NYC raising money for the war effort in Ukraine, but they all support someone who is mostly likely to prohibit such activities. Ive heard gay Ukrainians say they support Republicans, and are comfortable with with the status quo because "I wont allow others to dictate my life".

Ha ha. This is so true. I was a part of CYM as a kid and it blew my mind that most of the Ukes I know were supporting Trump despite him being clearly willing to sacrifice Ukraine for a foreign policy win. That said, my aunt was a diehard Republican anti-Hillary type, but when she heard Trumps ideas on Ukraine, she actually voted for Hillary. So there's some hope I guess?

On a side note, when I was 15 I went to Souyuzivka and got so drunk I fell into an irrigation ditch on my way back to the tent and passed out. There's a Ukrainian Americans for Trump analogy somewhere in there, but I haven't figured it out yet.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
It sucks for anyone who lives in eastern Europe but considering a whole lot of poo poo is coming for the next four years concessions to Russia would be the most usefully exploitable poo poo policy to discredit trumpism. It's much harder to blame on liberals/foreigners than bad consequences of any domestic issue and rank cowardice totally jars with his image as a strongman who will MAGA. I don't see a few months of trump saying 'Russia is cool and good' overcoming 50 years of Russia being the Great Enemy, especially amongst authoritarian minded right wingers.

El Perkele
Nov 7, 2002

I HAVE SHIT OPINIONS ON STAR WARS MOVIES!!!

I can't even call the right one bad.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

It sucks for anyone who lives in eastern Europe but considering a whole lot of poo poo is coming for the next four years concessions to Russia would be the most usefully exploitable poo poo policy to discredit trumpism. It's much harder to blame on liberals/foreigners than bad consequences of any domestic issue and rank cowardice totally jars with his image as a strongman who will MAGA. I don't see a few months of trump saying 'Russia is cool and good' overcoming 50 years of Russia being the Great Enemy, especially amongst authoritarian minded right wingers.

You are right. It would definitely suck for those few dozen million people living in Eastern Europe.

Where do you live?

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

El Perkele posted:

You are right. It would definitely suck for those few dozen million people living in Eastern Europe.

Where do you live?

Australia, so I'm under no illusions that my glib statements about Eastern Europe aren't biased by being about as insulated as it is possible to be from the consequences.

I don't think Trump's foreign policy is defensible for what it's worth.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
I haven't spoken to any of my friends or relatives in Ukraine since the election but they can't possibly be pro Trump after he was openly sucking up to Putin the whole campaign. Right? On other hand he was talking about nuking everyone so maybe he's not all bad.

TBH I'm all for improving relations with Russia, but this has to come with them GTFO from Ukraine and Georgia as a prerequisite.

BigRoman posted:

On a side note, when I was 15 I went to Souyuzivka and got so drunk I fell into an irrigation ditch on my way back to the tent and passed out. There's a Ukrainian Americans for Trump analogy somewhere in there, but I haven't figured it out yet.
Seems like you got the authentic Ukrainian experience!

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

mobby_6kl posted:

I haven't spoken to any of my friends or relatives in Ukraine since the election but they can't possibly be pro Trump after he was openly sucking up to Putin the whole campaign. Right?
I don't think many Trump supporters in EE realize what his foreign policies might be. They just see anti-liberal anti-establishment anti-muslim PR picture and are happy about it. Also, don't underestimate useful idiots, ex-communists and quislings.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Trump thinks the Crimea situation is perfectly fine so I don't see any good news for Eastern Europe the next 4 years.

Blizz Pizz Love Us
Aug 18, 2015

by exmarx

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Even setting aside the millions of people in Eastern Europe who are about to get hosed (I'm sorry, guys; I'm so, so sorry), our authoritarian right wingers have been slobbering over Putin for years. After all, he's a man's man who's standing up for real Christian values, and he doesn't take any lip from uppity women or sniveling protesters. He's carrying forward the torch of western civilization (lol), filling the gap left by that decadent Marxist Obama. Though most of the big name neocons jumped ship (though we'll see how long that lasts, now that Trump's actually won), the conservative rank and file are going to eat that Russophilia right up. Being part of a reactionary personality cult means not having to worry about cognitive dissonance, and many of those who should supposedly know better will go along just for the sake of ingratiating themselves with the winning team (see Newt "Estonia is in the suburbs of St. Petersburg" Gingrich).

Sandweed posted:

Donald Trump thinks the Crimea situation is perfectly fine so I don't see any good news for Eastern Europe the next 4 years.

Last I heard, Donald Trump doesn't even think there is a Crimea situation. Of course, you'd think he'd know something about it, given that his crew blocked pro-Ukrainian language from making it into the RNC platform. He saw no consequences, for that, by the way. Like I said, conservative wariness of Russia is a thing of the past. I've come to the awful realization watching these last few years that the only reason American conservatives were so vehemently against the reds is that communism was purportedly about uplifting the workers. The authoritarian personality cults, the murders of dissidents, the work camps for wrongthinkers? All fine and dandy. Again, I'm so sorry for what's about to happen. Stay safe, Eastern Europe goons.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

You gotta post them all, including the composite map

It seems like Norway got out of Albania...

Nenonen fucked around with this message at 15:43 on Nov 10, 2016

Doctor Malaver
May 23, 2007

Ce qui s'est passé t'a rendu plus fort

Blizz Pizz Love Us posted:

Again, I'm so sorry for what's about to happen. Stay safe, Eastern Europe goons.

Nothing is about to happen.

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

Poland as a special needs lion. Somehow appropriate.

In re: Slavs voting Republican even when its against their best interests, a lot if not the majority of Slavs in the U.S. be they Polish, Ukrainian or what have you fled EE because of communism and as such are naturally very hard right. They hate communism and blame it for them having to leave their beloved (in theory) homelands and are deeply suspicious of anything that's even mildly left of center. It used to be the same with Vietnamese immigrants in the U.S. (who were refugees from the Vietnam war). Its not that surprising honestly, especially when you add it the high religiosity of these diaspora to the equation.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

A Pale Horse posted:

Poland as a special needs lion. Somehow appropriate.

"describe Poland"
"Poland is strong and majestic in appearance, but sometimes licks the windows."

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

It's a baboon :perfect:

Shes Not Impressed
Apr 25, 2004

Living in Ukraine for two years under a Trump administration feels pretty daunting now.

On the other hand, I'll be in the Zakarpatti oblast, so I can always run into the loving arms of the Jobbik party!

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Shes Not Impressed posted:

Living in Ukraine for two years under a Trump administration feels pretty daunting now.

On the other hand, I'll be in the Zakarpatti oblast, so I can always run into the loving arms of the Jobbik party!
One the one hand, a Donald Trump looming across the ocean. On the other hand, a shelf with $4 vodka fifths.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

alex314 posted:

It's a baboon :perfect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SEsUAcyw5Qw

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Poland has a solution for Agent Orange dropping the ball on EE defense:

quote:

The Polish defence ministry is launching free nationwide classes for women to learn unarmed combat.
The classes will start at 30 military facilities, running from 19 November until 3 June. Polish army instructors will provide the training.
The techniques will include defensive postures, how to break holds, and guards against kicks, strangulation and assaults with a weapon.
Some Poles see the initiative more as a way for the army to promote its image.
The ministry says it is the first time the military has offered such a nationwide programme. It is open to all Polish women aged 18 or above who are in good health.
A former special forces commander, Roman Polko, told the Dziennik Polski news website that it was not the army's job to teach citizens unarmed combat. He said it could be a way to spot potential recruits for the armed forces. But learning aikido or jujitsu moves "won't win a war", he said.
Another critic, Krakow journalist Marcin Ogdowski, said the lessons "have a propaganda dimension". He said women's self-defence classes should be run by the police, rather than the military.
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37935116

A Pale Horse
Jul 29, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

Poland has a solution for Agent Orange dropping the ball on EE defense:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-37935116

Everything has a propaganda dimension these days, isn't he paying attention?

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
http://www.vox.com/world/2016/11/10/13585524/donald-trump-phone-call-south-korea-park-geun-hye

Well well...

quote:

Trump just completely reversed his policy on South Korea — only 2 days after being elected
Now, just one day later, Trump has tried to put those concerns to rest by speaking directly with Park over the phone and promising to maintain the existing security alliance. "We will be steadfast and strong with respect to working with you to protect against the instability in North Korea,” Trump told the South Korean president, according to a statement from her office.

But then again South Korea isn't exactly skimping on defense spending.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
part of me would immensively respect trump if he just told putin to get hosed after getting him to help get elected, though i understand putin might have big compromat files on President Elect Trump

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/MaxRTucker/status/796741309537067008

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.
Happy Independence Day, polgoons! :poland:

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Kurtofan posted:

part of me would immensively respect trump if he just told putin to get hosed after getting him to help get elected, though i understand putin might have big compromat files on President Elect Trump

Putin is going to laugh all the way to Kiev.

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

I'm having this fever dream of Trump handing over Alaska to Russia. Das Vadanya, Tovarish Palin!

Fatal Error
Feb 13, 2013

by sebmojo
Stay tuned for news about Independence Day riots from Warsaw! :poland:

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Speaking of November 11, it's the Latvian War of Independence commemoration day in Latvia, named after the protagonist of our national epic.

ass struggle
Dec 25, 2012

by Athanatos
The protagonist's name is Latvian war of independence commemoration? Isn't that convenient?

ass struggle fucked around with this message at 12:45 on Nov 11, 2016

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

rear end struggle posted:

The protagonist's name is Latvian war of independence commemoration? Isn't that convenient?
Yeah it's very catchy.

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.

Fatal Error posted:

Stay tuned for news about Independence Day riots from Warsaw! :poland:

No riots so far, some people in the nationalist march burned a Facebook flag, in protest of "censorship".

https://twitter.com/blocest1/status/797090827319308288

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Kurtofan posted:

Trump is just going to get the FBI to "prove" that anything Putin has is a fake.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

thehoax posted:

No riots so far, some people in the nationalist march burned a Facebook flag, in protest of "censorship".

https://twitter.com/blocest1/status/797090827319308288

Why in French

thehoax
Feb 23, 2011

Well, then.

Kurtofan posted:

Why in French

That was the first thing that popped up when I looked for photos of it.

Anyway, the marches in Warsaw finished without major incidents. Right now there is another one happening in my city, organized by a borderline neonazi organization, but that one seems to be going relatively calmly as well.

Still, the amount of people who showed up at these is really frightening.

jonnypeh
Nov 5, 2006
Estonia's new president has said that having not been a church-going person before she will not be attending any church ceremonies related to national or church holidays because doing so would be insincere. She started with saying no to the church service/mass/ceremony-whatever that was meant to be held after her swearing in ceremony in the parliament.

I'm fine with this.

Somaen
Nov 19, 2007

by vyelkin
Two mentions of this in the last 5 pages?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2016/nov/11/serbia-deports-russians-suspected-of-plotting-montenegro-coup

quote:

Serbia deports Russians suspected of plotting Montenegro coup
Plotters were allegedly going to storm Podgorica parliament, shoot Milo Đjukanović and install a pro-Moscow party

Serbia has deported a group of Russians suspected of involvement in a coup plot in neighbouring Montenegro, the Guardian has learned, in the latest twist in a murky sequence of events that apparently threatened the lives of two European prime ministers.

The plotters were allegedly going to dress in police uniforms to storm the Montenegrin parliament in Podgorica, shoot the prime minister, Milo Đjukanović, and install a pro-Moscow party.

The Russian fingerprints on the October plot have heightened intrigue about Moscow’s ambitions in a part of Europe hitherto thought to be gravitating towards the EU’s orbit.

A group of 20 Serbians and Montenegrins, some of whom had fought with Moscow-backed separatists in eastern Ukraine, were arrested in Podgorica, the Montenegrin capital. In Serbia, meanwhile, several Russian nationals suspected of coordinating the plot were caught with €120,000 and special forces uniforms.

According to the Belgrade daily, Danas, the Russians also had encryption equipment and were able to keep track of Đjukanović’s whereabouts.

Diplomatic sources told the Guardian the Belgrade government quietly deported the Russians after the intervention of the head of the Russian security council, Nikolai Patrushev, who flew to Belgrade on 26 October in an apparent effort to contain the scandal. The country’s interior minister, Nebojša Stefanović denied the government carried out any deportations connected to the plot.

A source close to the Belgrade government said Patrushev, a former FSB (federal security service) chief, apologised for what he characterised as a rogue operation that did not have the Kremlin’s sanction. In Moscow, a Security Council official told Tass that Patrushev “didn’t apologise to anyone, because there is nothing to apologise for”.

The Serbian government was further rattled three days after Patrushev’s visit when a cache of arms was found near the home of the prime minister, Aleksandar Vučić. The weapons were discovered at a junction where Vučić’s car would normally slow down on his way to the house.

Stefanović said there were “strong suspicions” that an organised crime gang had been hired to kill Vučić for €10m, but he would not specify who was behind the alleged plot, saying further investigation would show whether people “outside the region” were involved.

“You know the people who don’t like a strong Vučić or a strong government of Serbia and who could contribute some money, €10m or so, to see this kind of thing done,” Stefanović told the Guardian.

“We know that the people who were potentially hired to do this kind of thing were from the region, but not from Serbia, and that there were crime groups that are operating in the region that were involved. But these were just the trigger persons,” the minister added.

“We believe that criminal gangs are just being used to do the job, but the motives are not linked to the gangs. The assassination of the prime minister is not something that even they would do lightly, we believe they are being used.”

Since the discovery of the weapons, Vučić has announced plans to shake up the intelligence service, saying the security situation was “even more serious than we expected”.

“There will be changes in the secret service,” he told the public broadcaster, RTS. “I believed in the skills of people who didn’t show that they have these capacities, but I’ll take responsibility for this.”

It is unclear whether there is a connection between the alleged assassination plots against Vučić and Đjukanović. But the intrigue of the past month comes against a backdrop of fierce east-west competition.

Đjukanović has been instrumental in pulling his country to the verge of Nato membership – an accession protocol was signed in May – which has dashed Russian hopes of securing a naval foothold on the Adriatic. According to the Montenegrin press, Moscow lobbied hard in recent years for transit and maintenance facilities at the ports of Bar and Kotor.

The importance of such facilities was demonstrated late last month when the Russian carrier, the Admiral Kuznetsov and its battle group was denied refuelling in European ports along their way to support the Russian military effort in Syria.

In Serbia, Vučić has been seeking a delicate balance between Nato and Russia, and the country’s armed forces have conducted military exercises with both, although far more frequently in recent years with Nato. Vučić has also refused to grant diplomatic status to Russian officials staffing a Serbian-Russian humanitarian centre established in the city of Niš in 2012, infuriating Moscow.

Montenegrin prosecutor says Russian nationalists behind alleged coup plot
Read more
Western officials suspect the centre of being a Trojan horse, which could expanded as a hub for intelligence and paramilitary operations in the region. Diplomatic status, they point out, would have allowed equipment to be brought in without oversight by Serbian customs.

Some analysts have suggested the operation could have been mounted as a “semi-freelance” one, giving enough distance from Moscow to be plausibly deniable if was uncovered.

“Both sides have an interest in playing this as a freelance, vigilante-type thing, it allows them both to save face. Whether that’s actually true is unclear. There’s simply not enough evidence either to support or disprove it,” said Vladimir Frolov, a Moscow-based analyst.

“Judging from the amount of logistical and financial support they got, it looks likely they acted with at least a tacit understanding that this was sanctioned.”

A few days after the would-be coup, a former intelligence officer, Leonid Reshetnikov, who ran a hawkish research institute in Moscow, was relieved of his duties by Putin. The Russian Institute for Strategic Studies has a branch office in Belgrade, and Reshetnikov had given strong backing to the anti-Nato opposition party in Montenegro.

A security analyst from the region, who did not want to be named, said his understanding from intelligence sources was that the incidents in the Balkans were probably linked to Russian attempts to gain influence and leverage in the Balkans in the run-up to an anticipated Hillary Clinton US presidency, which was expected to take a harder line on Russian activity in the region.

In Moscow, the Russian foreign ministry took a dim view of this Guardian report on the Balkan events.

Maria Zakharova, spokeswoman for the Russian foreign ministry wrote on Facebook: “The publication in the Guardian with a link to ‘sources’ saying that Patrushev apologised for ‘Russian nationalists’ who had planned to kill the prime minister of Montenegro is a classic provocation aimed at spreading knowingly false information.”

“I declare you “liars of the day”. You can sew your own hat.”

"poo poo guys", said the head of the Russian Security Council, "our bad."

"Maybe NATO should stop expanding on our doorstep on the Adriatic", he continued, "and constantly saying that Russia is a security threat?"

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Legislation on decriminalisation of domestic violence has landed in the lower house of Russian parliament. :smith:

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

cinci zoo sniper posted:

Legislation on decriminalisation of domestic violence has landed in the lower house of Russian parliament. :smith:

How can Russia ever be stronk again on a diet of burned dinners?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swan Oat
Oct 9, 2012

I was selected for my skill.
Congratulations to Moldova and Bulgaria on your new presidents!