Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Mister Macys posted:

FDR wasn't going against half the country indoctrinated by modern television and internet media.
Meh, this election has prompted me to start reconsidering a lot of my assumptions. For example we see that 'money in politics' while still an issue, is not the existential threat many of us took it for because while Trump is still probably a dude of some considerable wealth, he didn't spend much of that wealth on his campaign and in fact didn't spend much money, period. Meanwhile Hillary and Jeb! fundraised like crazy and got stumped.

It's possible that right-wing propaganda is also a paper tiger to some extent. In fact, I know it is, because while Trump is awful he's awful in a lot of different ways than what the right-wing media traditionally insists is cool and good to the people who pay attention to it. I think it's more of a cultural frame of reference for the people who listen to it, to allow them to vent their anger on the same target as all their idiot peers who listen to and watch the same poo poo. Rush Limbaugh isn't convincing anyone that trickle-down economics is the solution to all their problems, he's just letting them know who this week's Emmanuel Goldstein is so his listeners can coordinate their two minute hate.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Zelder posted:

waffles you may wanna disengage from the internet for a while. That's what i did yesterday, and i feel much better today

You're probably right

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

DeusExMachinima posted:

How many do they currently control? Last I heard it was 31.

Yep.

23 (R) trifectas (37 state Senates, 32 state Houses). They're slowly working on it.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

It's about the economy, stupid.

quote:

A Muslim student at San Diego State University was robbed and may have had her car stolen Wednesday by two men who made comments about President-elect Donald Trump and Muslims, according to police and university officials, who called the attack a hate crime.

In a separate incident Wednesday, a female student at the University of Louisiana at Lafayette was beaten, robbed and had her hijab ripped off by two men, one of them wearing a white “Trump” hat, police and university officials said.
I've been paying attention to U.S. elections since 1972. Let me repeat, I have never seen a rise in hate crimes after a Republican win. Not for Reagan. Not for Bushes I and II. It's happening with Trump.

Trump's win is not only bigotry, but bigotry is baked right into the cake. You cannot separate that cake back into "economic despair" and "hating the Other".

Rassle
Dec 4, 2011

What kind of monster am I if I say voted for myself as a write-in?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Waffles Inc. posted:

It is cool and good to laugh at people losing their insurance and trans people being afraid for their lives all is well time for jokes

What a neat and fun person you are! Jokes yay!

Yeah, and you sound like a real blast at parties. Humor is a coping mechanism, and the thing it resists most is moralistic boundary-setting and attempts of people like you to contain it. This sort of pearl-clutching sacred cow worship is exactly the reason you're getting made fun of.

Squashing Machine fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Nov 10, 2016

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Bishounen Bonanza posted:

It's human nature to put your own needs before the needs of others. This isn't restricted to white people. It sucks, and it's unfair, but it's the truth. Instead of complaining about it find a way to intersect civil rights and labor movements and then sell that platform to America for guaranteed progressive victorys.

The dems said "we don't give a poo poo about the needs of poor whites" and the response was "ok then we don't give a poo poo about your agenda for minority rights". You have to do both at the same time.

Please read my post, I didn't say it's somehow invalid to focus on one's own survival first, what I did say is that you are still a bigot if you trample minorities in the interest of self preservation. It is also bigotry to try to downplay this concept and pretend the election was not in very large part about racism. The KKK and others like them aren't feeling emboldened because of an economic message, it's because they saw that a candidate can openly trash minorities and win a national election.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Rassle posted:

Literally the worst. gently caress you and every edgy loving idiot like you.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

WampaLord posted:

At least in the future we will be able to point at this time as proof that accelerationists are complete loving idiots.

We already know that though?

Like, anyone that was self-aware enough to realize that there votes this cycle were bad, would have never voted that way in the first place.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Rassle posted:

Is your name Donald J Trump?

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011
There was no media, right wing or mainstream behind Trump this election. No one in power wanted him to win, and in fact went out of their way and made it their mission to try to make sure he lost the primary or the general (though the progressive media pushed him, thinking he'd be a pied piper candidate in the primary, lmao). He got here through social media and his physical rallies.

Ornamented Death
Jan 25, 2006

Pew pew!

Rassle posted:

Worse than Turbo Hitler.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

HorseRenoir posted:

also we're probably not getting single-payer in America, ever

https://twitter.com/bshor/status/796746604363575296

The USA doesn't want health care.

The USA doesn't want prosperity.

The USA wants everyone they see as their enemies dead.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've been paying attention to U.S. elections since 1972. Let me repeat, I have never seen a rise in hate crimes after a Republican win. Not for Reagan. Not for Bushes I and II. It's happening with Trump.

Trump's win is not only bigotry, but bigotry is baked right into the cake. You cannot separate that cake back into "economic despair" and "hating the Other".

"The November criminals will pay"

Rassle posted:

I don't know you but you'd probably be a better President

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010
I think Dems are just talking past each other and I don't mean people who are arguing about whether Trump voters are racists or not.

Ultimately it appears that there are some clear facts to be taken from the results
- rust belt voters liked Trump and thought that Hillary didn't care about them
- voters were not enthusiastic about Hillary, but also not very enthusiastic about Trump when you look at numbers of votes
- Hillary won the popular vote

and people are drawing two different lessons
a) gently caress all the racist rural whites because they actually had no impact on Hillary losing compared to the drop in democratic turnout, so there is no need to pander to them
b) rust belt areas swung way towards Trump when they had previously voted for Obama, so this is a big problem for the democrats

I don't think either of these are wrong as such, they're just two different strategies for the dems moving forward and I don't know which is correct. The racist motivations of Trump voters come into play if you are arguing b), but that is secondary to the main issues. The racism intertwined with the Trump movement as a whole though is obvious and people who discount it are idiots.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kilroy posted:

Meh, this election has prompted me to start reconsidering a lot of my assumptions. For example we see that 'money in politics' while still an issue, is not the existential threat many of us took it for because while Trump is still probably a dude of some considerable wealth, he didn't spend much of that wealth on his campaign and in fact didn't spend much money, period. Meanwhile Hillary and Jeb! fundraised like crazy and got stumped.

It's possible that right-wing propaganda is also a paper tiger to some extent. In fact, I know it is, because while Trump is awful he's awful in a lot of different ways than what the right-wing media traditionally insists is cool and good to the people who pay attention to it. I think it's more of a cultural frame of reference for the people who listen to it, to allow them to vent their anger on the same target as all their idiot peers who listen to and watch the same poo poo. Rush Limbaugh isn't convincing anyone that trickle-down economics is the solution to all their problems, he's just letting them know who this week's Emmanuel Goldstein is so his listeners can coordinate their two minute hate.

Two things:

1) You don't have to spend much money on your campaign when the most expensive part, advertising, is being done for free.

2) Trump bloomed in the environment created by right-wing propaganda. It's a basic appeal of 'You're getting screwed over and it's the fault of THOSE PEOPLE'. Rush and everyone else have been telling that base that they are the true oppressed and exploited victims of this country, that their whiteness and Christianity makes them so persecuted compared to everyone else. Trump took that and using PUA-style methods and a willingness to drop the dog whistle to make them rabid.

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Rassle posted:

Well you're not a monster, but I'd say you're probably an idiot.

PKJC
May 7, 2009
No one in this thread is being prevented from making jokes, but if you want to make jokes at the expense of marginalized people and feel the need to whine about being called out on it, then like any conservative "comedian" you are a garbage human being, hth.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

HorseRenoir posted:

I'm not a believer in accelerationism and a lot of bad poo poo is about to happen that will probably directly affect me, but longterm I think this situation was inevitable and needed to fully restructure and reenergize the Democrats. I don't necessarily think the Dems' current platform is wrong, but they need to excite their voters and they need to promote candidates that can provide that excitement. Dems have a chronic turnout problem and if two years of Trump can't fix that then I don't know what will.
For what it's worth the way things were going I think progressives and leftists were going to slowly take over the party anyway. Hillary was the candidate but she wasn't the future of the party and the writing was kind of on the wall with that even before she lost.

Now there's this massive void where the Clintons used to be, and the only people in the party with actual ideas, and especially with actual ideas that anyone gives a poo poo about, are progressives and leftists. So long term, I think it was going to happen anyway. I certainly don't think we're going to look back on Trump's Presidency and think to ourselves that it was worth it to move that up a decade.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

i think we can all agree, regardless of whose "fault" it is, whether or not this was racially motivated, economically voted, etc.

that the rise in hate crimes is a bad thing, and super worrying for the future. as a black man, i'm excited to live in neo North Carolina, haha

Chump Farts
May 9, 2009

There is no Coordinator but Narduzzi, and Shilique is his Prophet.

Arsenic Lupin posted:

poo poo like this is happening all over. Racists are being emboldened by white nationalist man. I'm loving shocked.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

crossposting from ADTRW for relevance:

Note-I am not a trump voter

Madmarker fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Nov 10, 2016

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Zelder posted:

i think we can all agree, regardless of whose "fault" it is, whether or not this was racially motivated, economically voted, etc.

that the rise in hate crimes is a bad thing, and super worrying for the future. as a black man, i'm excited to live in neo North Carolina, haha

But I've been told that it's most likely bullshit that didn't happen? :downs:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I live on the west coast, we went completely for Clinton. And we're stuck with your mistake.

I blame the rest of this country for being so loving stupid. :fuckoff:

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

Ultimately it appears that there are some clear facts to be taken from the results
- rust belt voters liked Trump and thought that Hillary didn't care about them
- voters were not enthusiastic about Hillary, but also not very enthusiastic about Trump when you look at numbers of votes
- Hillary won the popular vote

and people are drawing two different lessons
a) gently caress all the racist rural whites because they actually had no impact on Hillary losing compared to the drop in democratic turnout, so there is no need to pander to them
b) rust belt areas swung way towards Trump when they had previously voted for Obama, so this is a big problem for the democrats

I don't think either of these are wrong as such, they're just two different strategies for the dems moving forward and I don't know which is correct. The racist motivations of Trump voters come into play if you are arguing b), but that is secondary to the main issues.
Voter. loving. suppression. Look at North Carolina, where it was an explicit, openly admitted, strategy of the Republican legislature and of local voting offices to reduce black votes. It worked. Look at all the states whose voter ID laws kept voters away from the polls. That wasn't an accident.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

quote is not edit

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Zelder posted:

did i miss the rally where hillary clinton bayed for the blood of poor white babies

She fought for NAFTA and (temporarily) for the TPP. Likewise it was speculated by most outsiders in the media, that her oppostion to the TPP was vague and probaly there soley to get elected.

So basically, she used the code words, like thug

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

I live on the west coast, we went completely for Clinton. And we're stuck with your mistake.

I blame the rest of this country for being so loving stupid. :fuckoff:

UH MN went Clinton too, don't look at me!

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

My coworkers are more aggressive today than yesterday - today I've been blamed for some dude's neighbor getting his poo poo broken in to because "they're mad their welfare is going away", and had a few people walk past me chanting build-the-wall.

I guess I shouldn't have told them that I was going to relish conservatives dying as a direct consequence of their vote (healthcare/labor protection, etc), but I was mad darnit.

z0glin Warchief
May 16, 2007

https://twitter.com/PoliticsWolf/status/796748817639084032

Lol good luck doing this without actually winning first.

Also:

Kilroy posted:

Money in politics is approximately infinite times more important in local races than presidential ones. You very quickly start getting diminishing returns when everyone is paying attention already and the media is covering you anyway (doubly for someone like Trump who had them covering his every fart), but the Koch brothers dropping 500,000 bux on a state house race is brutal. You're fighting for name recognition at that level and being able to buy a bunch of ads and hire staffers is a huge boon that absolutely can sway a race. Fixing this will make it significantly easier to take back state legislatures, at the very least.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

PKJC posted:

No one in this thread is being prevented from making jokes, but if you want to make jokes at the expense of marginalized people and feel the need to whine about being called out on it, then like any conservative "comedian" you are a garbage human being, hth.

Yeah, that's exactly what's happening, not someone equating making fun of overly dramatic reactions to the election and the banning of C-SPAM posters to a hate crime against trans people

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Zelder posted:

I'm really sorry. It's a horrible thing.

SixPabst
Oct 24, 2006

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

The USA doesn't want health care.

The USA doesn't want prosperity.

The USA wants everyone they see as their enemies dead.

It was an absolutely awful amendment that would have hosed Colorado really badly over the next 5 years or so. The idea is good, but the way the amendment was written was terrible.

Bhaal
Jul 13, 2001
I ain't going down alone
Dr. Infant, MD
This was a good election postmortem and I remember scoffing at Blyth a month ago when he was saying "I dunno, I wouldn't underestimate the chance that Trump gets elected". What's a good starch pairing for crow?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWMmBG3Z4DI

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

NutritiousSnack posted:

She fought for NAFTA and (temporarily) for the TPP. Likewise it was speculated by most outsiders in the media, that her oppostion to the TPP was vague and probaly there soley to get elected.

So basically, she used the code words, like thug

drat white people even get nicer coded slurs than black people!!! y'all get everything!!!!!!!

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
If Republicans get rid of the filibuster it's possible we could see a closed door vote or bill fast track. So they could pass horrible legislation as quickly as possible.

They could be like 5 minute discussion on anything etc

Like they could really gently caress the rules to give them even more of an advantage

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

WampaLord posted:

At least in the future we will be able to point at this time as proof that accelerationists are complete loving idiots.

Yeah, but we always knew this. I don't think we needed Trump to do show it. They might need him because, being the loving idiots they are, don't think things can get worse for them when they always can.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

a man, screaming friend of the family at me from a passing car: "friend of the family!"

me, reflecting on the actions that led trump to win the presidency: "i hope you overcome your economic anxiety!"

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Taerkar posted:

1) You don't have to spend much money on your campaign when the most expensive part, advertising, is being done for free.
Most of it was negative advertising but yes this is largely true. The media legitimized Trump. Perhaps the Dems can learn some lessons there about how to manipulate the media better, but a lot of it is probably one-time stuff that only applied to Trump.

Anyway I said it's still a problem, but I don't think it's the existential threat is was assumed to be anymore. The corrupting influence of money in politics is a bigger problem than the need to fundraise in order to even have a campaign, in my opinion.

Taerkar posted:

2) Trump bloomed in the environment created by right-wing propaganda. It's a basic appeal of 'You're getting screwed over and it's the fault of THOSE PEOPLE'. Rush and everyone else have been telling that base that they are the true oppressed and exploited victims of this country, that their whiteness and Christianity makes them so persecuted compared to everyone else. Trump took that and using PUA-style methods and a willingness to drop the dog whistle to make them rabid.
Yes, this is basically my point. There is a difference between helping people get their hate on, and indoctrinating them on actual policy. To be clear, I don't think those voters can be won back, or the resources required to do it either aren't there are would be put to much better use elsewhere. I was replying to a post that seemed to assume that all the RWM consumers were totally sold on boilerplate conservative doctrine. Trump sorta proves that isn't the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Voter. loving. suppression. Look at North Carolina, where it was an explicit, openly admitted, strategy of the Republican legislature and of local voting offices to reduce black votes. It worked. Look at all the states whose voter ID laws kept voters away from the polls. That wasn't an accident.

Voter suppression was a thing with Obama, and it didn't cost him the election either time.

Likewise the counties that gave Trump the election VOTED OBAMA in both 2008 and 2012. How did white supremacy let white men vote for a black person twice but not a white person this time?

Hilary Clinton and DNC lost this election for herself and themselves. They offered nothing but fear and a status quo no one wanted. Trump offered sweet lies topped with half truths he'll ignore.

• Locked thread