Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
There's no way that this Missouri thing isn't a precursor or test of theory to their allowing you to unlock the personal missions tanks in WoT. I'd imagine at this point there are uberpubbies in WoT with millions on millions in locked :-P who claimed they would NEVER spend money on a "free" game, and this is the test of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

BIG HEADLINE posted:

There's no way that this Missouri thing isn't a precursor or test of theory to their allowing you to unlock the personal missions tanks in WoT. I'd imagine at this point there are uberpubbies in WoT with millions on millions in locked :-P who claimed they would NEVER spend money on a "free" game, and this is the test of that.

I wonder who actually has that much free xp or banked xp?

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD

CitizenKain posted:

I wonder who actually has that much free xp or banked xp?

I doubt anyone has that much free XP from non-bug or money sources. 800k is only attainable by the shittiest poopsockers or whales. What a ridiculous amount of free xp to ask for, for a premium Iowa.

In other news, since I've been annoyed at my attempts to play sky cancer, I have been punishing other sky cancers with my pent up frustration.

Or, the enemy Essex could have, you know, not tried to send his divebombers at me 3 times. You'd think he'd have learned the first time that I was fully AA specced when I vaporized his TB squad. (pictured in the background: the Essex in a map corner)

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

I have 100xp banked xp on my Arkansas B without even trying and only using it in tier 4 events, I imagine it's pretty simple for someone to have 200, maybe even 400k xp each banked on Tirpitz, Saipan, Warspite, Atago, Atlanta, if they played them twice a day since purchase, maybe a bit less on the more recent Dunkerque and Shinyhorse, then there's probably plenty stacked on various Kamikazes and premium Omahas. All you have to do is spend money to convert it!

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Nov 10, 2016

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

NTRabbit posted:

I have 100xp banked xp on my Arkansas B without even trying and only using it in tier 4 events, I imagine it's pretty simple for someone to have 200, maybe even 400k xp each banked on Tirpitz, Saipan, Warspite, Atago, Atlanta, if they played them twice a day since purchase, maybe a bit less on the more recent Dunkerque and Shinyhorse, then there's probably plenty stacked on various Kamikazes and premium Omahas. All you have to do is spend money to convert it!

Sure, plenty of people have banked EXP on ships that they could spend a huge amount of money/gold to convert. I have nearly 2.5 million myself - with over a million of it just between two ships (Nagato and Tirpitz). Pretty sure Hazdoc meant actually earned free EXP though, rather than ship EXP that would need to be converted.

edit: And yeah, CVs that continue feeding planes into extremely high AA when they could choose another, less well defended, target are insane. At least in my case, since I mainly play IJN cruisers, they could be forgiven the first time they run their planes head-first into a fully-AA specced Ibuki/Zao since IJN AA generally isn't that good - DF with the fully specced Type 98s on those two is something of the exception. But when I nuke a whole attack wave and they proceed to send another... really?

Lord Koth fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Nov 10, 2016

Wicaeed
Feb 8, 2005
5 games in a row where I'm the only person on my team that gets a kill before we get completely smashed.

Why am I getting paired with literal turd sucking retards?

edit: 6th and 7th game I got torped by friendlies TWICE.

I'm done with this turd.

Wicaeed fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Nov 10, 2016

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Wicaeed posted:

5 games in a row where I'm the only person on my team that gets a kill before we get completely smashed.

Why am I getting paired with literal turd sucking retards?

edit: 6th and 7th game I got torped by friendlies TWICE.

I'm done with this turd.

At tiers 1-3 everyone that isn't a seal clubber is literally retarded, so like 95% of them. Just accept it.

the retard rate goes down to 75% at the other tiers

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Hazdoc posted:

In other news, since I've been annoyed at my attempts to play sky cancer, I have been punishing other sky cancers with my pent up frustration.

Or, the enemy Essex could have, you know, not tried to send his divebombers at me 3 times. You'd think he'd have learned the first time that I was fully AA specced when I vaporized his TB squad. (pictured in the background: the Essex in a map corner)

The funniest thing with CV's is when they forget what they're playing and get it into their heads that the Pensacola is a great squishy target. Not only does it fairly small (and especially narrow) and turns really well so it's easy to dodge torps, it also has really good AA and of course people runs defensive AA on it because no way you're charging into things with hydro in that thing. I've gotten tons of plane kills in it that way.

And yes ranked is unplayable now. Battleships either suicide into smoke or go off to hide behind an island in the corner off the map and tell you that they "don't care about your opinion bitch". DD's sit still in smoke and get torped. Cruisers sit in the open in the middle of a cap and get deleted by battleships. Can't carry this poo poo.

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 11:40 on Nov 10, 2016

Gorau
Apr 28, 2008
Seconding stupid cv players and target choice. Given the choice between an Amagi and a North Carolina a surprising number of people seem to choose the NC. Of course they then proceed to bitch that AA is broken.

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

there is no way the missouri will be 800k, why would you get it when you could use that xp to go all the way to a fully researched iowa?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
AA is a little broken at high tiers, where you have giant black holes that sail around the map eating planes.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Gorau posted:

Seconding stupid cv players and target choice. Given the choice between an Amagi and a North Carolina a surprising number of people seem to choose the NC. Of course they then proceed to bitch that AA is broken.

Wait, am I supposed to get the AA captain skill for NC? I don't notice NC's AA being any more powerful than my other ships

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Something is beginning to click in the Myogi, 11 kills in the last 3 games. Shame that also means I'll have the XP to be out of it in no time.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Gorau posted:

Just because CV players sometimes make dumb choices doesn't mean AA isn't broken. Nothing should have blanket immunity from another class, regardless of the relative skill levels, and certain ships at high tiers really approach that in regards to AA. ESPECIALLY not battleships, even US ones, given CVs were the explicit listed counter to them. Take heavy losses, possibly even ultimately the whole strike force? Sure, but if a CV is sending multiple squadrons on a straight-line attack run against battleships, they should not have every single one evaporate before they can even attack, which does occasionally happen.

Currently we have stuff like Iowa putting out as much AA firepower as a Baltimore with Defensive Fire (and the resultant 300% boost to its long-range AA's effectiveness) running. And then they introduced the loving German battleships, which magically have even better AA than US battleships at low/mid-tiers, and still not terribly far below them at high tiers.

AfroSquirrel
Sep 3, 2011

Chill la Chill posted:

Wait, am I supposed to get the AA captain skill for NC? I don't notice NC's AA being any more powerful than my other ships

Only if you want to delete planes even faster. I thought it was superfluous, so I grabbed secondary/concealment mods and skills instead.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Vengarr posted:

AA is a little broken at high tiers, where you have giant black holes that sail around the map eating planes.

Going against T8 ships I have to send my planes on this huge detour to avoid getting within sight of any CA or T8 BB because they will pretty much all delete every one of my planes before they get to their target.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Khisanth Magus posted:

Going against T8 ships I have to send my planes on this huge detour to avoid getting within sight of any CA or T8 BB because they will pretty much all delete every one of my planes before they get to their target.

Right, exactly.

Now remember than the Tier 8 Bismark was crippled by biplanes and didn't shoot down a single one. They'll probably be tier 4 if British carriers ever become a thing.

Individual ship AA performance just wasn't particularly stellar in WW2. You needed multiple ships with fire-control computers and RADAR to put up an effective screen.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost
AA performance of upper tier ships probably beats out what modern ships can do with AEGIS and CIWS platforms.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

No, don't bother with the Manual AA skill on the US BBs. Advanced Firing Training is the best choice because it gives you enough of a boost to AA and it also increases the range of your secondaries.

Also, for whoever was asking earlier about what reports do, apparently they do have the WoT system where if someone gets enough reports (in a short time period I guess) they get an auto ban. From the patch notes:

quote:

Reports for misbehavior in chat will no longer be taken into account for an automatic ban if the reported player has not written anything in the battle chat before the moment they are reported

Krogort
Oct 27, 2013

Lord Koth posted:

Just because CV players sometimes make dumb choices doesn't mean AA isn't broken. Nothing should have blanket immunity from another class, regardless of the relative skill levels, and certain ships at high tiers really approach that in regards to AA. ESPECIALLY not battleships, even US ones, given CVs were the explicit listed counter to them. Take heavy losses, possibly even ultimately the whole strike force? Sure, but if a CV is sending multiple squadrons on a straight-line attack run against battleships, they should not have every single one evaporate before they can even attack, which does occasionally happen.

Currently we have stuff like Iowa putting out as much AA firepower as a Baltimore with Defensive Fire (and the resultant 300% boost to its long-range AA's effectiveness) running. And then they introduced the loving German battleships, which magically have even better AA than US battleships at low/mid-tiers, and still not terribly far below them at high tiers.

Full AA spec Iowa still take lot of damage from a Hakuryu or even Taiho strike.
It is kinda immune to Hiryu and maybe Shokaku though.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Uh...

http://worldofwarships.eu/en/news/special/special-armistice-days/

Am I the only person kind of grossed out by this?

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

That's pretty amazingly distasteful.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

Is this that weird European sensitivity to WW1?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I dunno if America marks it but, like, armistice day is remembrance day for all wars, we hold a two minutes silence. It would be like doing a 9/11 sale, commemorate the loss of life with these AMAZING DEALS!

It's just absolutely not something I would expect to see here.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

Got the Belfast. The Wargaming blurb on it says one of the negatives is:

quote:

HE rounds have a low chance of setting fires.

And yet, in my first game I got Witherer. :feelsgood:

e: with my Warspite captain that doesn't have Demolition Expert!

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno if America marks it but, like, armistice day is remembrance day for all wars, we hold a two minutes silence. It would be like doing a 9/11 sale, commemorate the loss of life with these AMAZING DEALS!

Not to be unkind, but no, it's not remotely comparable to them doing a 9/11 sale. Because yes, the US does have an equivalent day to commemorate their soldiers killed in the line of duty in all wars - Memorial Day in May - and yes, Wargaming did do bonuses for it, with no complaints along these lines.Claiming it's a matter of cultural perception is fine, but your attempted equivalency was pretty off.

The US used to celebrate Armistice Day specifically as well, but it eventually got merged into Veteran's Day (same day), which commemorates ALL veterans who served, whether they were KIA or not.

Cippalippus
Mar 31, 2007

Out for a ride, chillin out w/ a couple of friends. Going to be back for dinner
The first world War happened a century ago and there's nobody alive anymore. No reason to get sensitive about it... And the deals are pretty good, dragon flags for everything!

Insert name here
Nov 10, 2009

Oh.
Oh Dear.
:ohdear:

Lord Koth posted:

Pretty sure DF affects all AA nowadays, not just the long range aura.

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

OwlFancier posted:

Here in America we call it "Veteran's Day." What we do is say "thank you for your service," then cut to a 15 minute montage about how we kicked everyone's rear end in every war.

So this sale is a pretty American thing to do.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yeah I know about soldier barbeque day, just weird to do it for a day that afaik the rest of the world still regards as a collective funeral.

On the plus side the konig is off to a good start:

I'd just started to like the kaiser and I specced this one for maximum secondary battery fun which I haven't had chance to use yet but am looking forward to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 10, 2016

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

"Democracy for the insignificant minority, democracy for the rich--that is the democracy of capitalist society." VI Lenin

[/quote]

OwlFancier posted:

Yeah I know about soldier barbeque day, just weird to do it for a day that afaik the rest of the world still regards as a collective funeral.

Even on Memorial Day, the message isn't sad. It's literally about the glory of sacrificing your life for AMERICA! "freedom."

And it's still turned into the story about how the US Armed Forces have kicked everybody's rear end in every war.

I mean, you shouldn't expect more out of a people who just elected Donald Trump.

ranbo das
Oct 16, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I dunno if I would count Commonwealth countries and a handful of other European countries as "the rest of the world" but there was a Pearl Harbor event and no one got super angry afaik so I imagine this will be fine.

Godlessdonut
Sep 13, 2005

ZombieLenin posted:

Even on Memorial Day, the message isn't sad. It's literally about the glory of sacrificing your life for AMERICA! "freedom."

And it's still turned into the story about how the US Armed Forces have kicked everybody's rear end in every war.

I mean, you shouldn't expect more out of a people who just elected Donald Trump.

Don't forget the Memorial Day sales everywhere.

"Lots of people died for are freedum NOW CHECK OUT OUR INSANE PRICES! ALL MATTRESSES 20% OFF!"

ZombieLenin
Sep 6, 2009

[/quote]

El Disco posted:

Don't forget the Memorial Day sales everywhere.

"Lots of people died for are freedum NOW CHECK OUT OUR INSANE PRICES! ALL MATTRESSES 20% OFF!"

This is a 100% accurate description of the United States.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think Flamu is becoming my favorite WoWs youtuber. I've learned a lot of about tactics for different ships watching his videos and he makes me rethink skipping things like the Trashkent.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Muscovy Ducks are a large tropical breed, famous for their lean and extremely flavorful meat.

Hazduck!

~SMcD
Flamu can have some pretty bad opinions at times, though usually they're because he's so good he doesn't understand that the poo poo he pulls off he can get away with but other people can't.
Also he seems to think that IJN DDs are still somehow not lovely before citing games where he kills potatoes, which is objectively untrue but ok
But when he's not talking about DDs he's usually right, especially BBs

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Hazdoc posted:

Flamu can have some pretty bad opinions at times, though usually they're because he's so good he doesn't understand that the poo poo he pulls off he can get away with but other people can't.
Also he seems to think that IJN DDs are still somehow not lovely before citing games where he kills potatoes, which is objectively untrue but ok

I can kinda forgive someone being so good at a game they skew their own opinions because they can pull off plays most couldn't.

Hazdoc
Nov 8, 2012

Hazduck!

~SMcD

Night10194 posted:

I can kinda forgive someone being so good at a game they skew their own opinions because they can pull off plays most couldn't.

Its definitely a good problem to have, though it does cause problems when he addresses objectively bad ships that he still dominates in.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
On the other hand, if he says a ship is bad.. well..

Of course he didn't have high praise for the dunk, and I do quite well in mine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Hazdoc posted:

I really really enjoy the IJN line up to the isokaze but I just bought a minekaze and I'm having a dire time with it, do they just get really bad at higher tiers?