Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Explosionface posted:

He's saying goodbye for the offseason. He and Jake live in Austin during the off months.
Oh ok. I got a bit worried there for a minute.

N: Rizzo and Heyward both won Golden Gloves
V: This was announced while everyone else was paying attention to the election.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm not surprised Arrieta is a giant piece of poo poo. I mean just look at him.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
it was not a great day to wear my arrieta shirtsey to work

Reformed Pissboy
Nov 6, 2003

Ammat The Ankh posted:

you realize the cubs world series had literally nothing to do with the election right?

Ammat The Ankh posted:

you realize posts on an internet forum had literally nothing to do with the election right?

You realize how much of a ponderous rear end you're being right?

A large farva
Sep 5, 2006

Ramrod XTreme

Poque posted:

it was not a great day to wear my arrieta shirtsey to work

Smooth one.

Sorry all I will deal with my donation as soon as I can (payday). When I finally sobered up on Sunday I realized that someone had taken all the money from my bank account last week (bars).

In light of things maybe the ACLU?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Sydin posted:

lol no.

And in any event, the Cubs have apparently hinted that they won't be looking to sign any of the big three closers this off season, and are going to try and develop a closer in house. Probably Edwards, but maybe that means Rondon is getting a second chance too:

That said, the Cubs are still in talks with Chapman, and linked via rumors to Jansen. Then again, so is everybody else who is going to bother to compete next season.

Does this mean Dex will be back? Or just cutting payroll?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Dr. Pepper is really loving me over right now.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Niwrad posted:

Probably they view bullpens as a bad place to spend notable money since they're so volatile.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Niwrad posted:

Dr. Pepper is really loving me over right now.

Well to be fair, that's the UnderArmor site, so I don't think the Dr Pepper code would work there.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Niwrad posted:

It's possible and the Cubs have said they're open to resigning him, but I'd peg it at unlikely at this point. The two primary points of focus for the Cubs, per Hoyer, are starting pitching and the bullpen. This is interesting since they've also signaled they're probably not going to toss money at a closer. Which means that money is being set aside for pitching, either now or down the line. I imagine Dex is going to get offers for a 3-4 year contract at ~$13-16 AAV (think a Ben Zobrist contract) and I'm not sure the Cubs will be willing to pony up that much cash for a bat.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Twitter reports

A MLB agent tells @CSNMooney that free agent reliever Aroldis Chapman is seeking a $100 million contract.

Yeah or no?

Cubs fans?

:byewhore:

Go after Jansen instead. I'm pretty sure Chapman wants to be a Yankee anyway.

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Thanks Kevlar! I've spent the day distressed for my minority and LGBTQ friends due to this election and came in to read the thread to cheer myself up.

Oh and add me to the list of those who'd swap the Cubs WS for a Clinton presidency.

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm guessing we're about at Peak Reliever in which case someone will get $100MM to pitch the 9th.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Explosionface posted:

Probably they view bullpens as a bad place to spend notable money since they're so volatile.

Yeah, I believe Theo has never been one to spend big money on bullpens. Always pushed more from building within. Probably the smart strategy considering how much relievers fluctuate and Theo is always right. Maybe they'll make a trade for someone like Colome in Tampa. You can always trade for bullpen arms at the deadline too.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
He wants $100 million but I really don't think he'll get it. Chapman is fantastic but he can also be a bit unpredictable and I'd be wary signing him to a long term (4 year +) contract because once his velocity starts to drop off he's gonna be really ineffective.

I could be wrong and maybe the closer market has reached peak insanity but I just don't think he'll get it.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen

Miz Kriss posted:

I got ya, hun

Anyway, I shouldn't be surprised about Arrieta since he's from Texas, but I'm still a bit disheartened. :sigh:

Rizzo will forever look like an overgrown 11-year-old

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: Kyle Hendricks voted NL Pitcher of the Year by the MLBPA.

V: :unsmith:

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Pvt. Public posted:

:mad:

Champaign-Urbana is pretty liberal, given our location and the general attitudes in the surrounding area. Urbana definitely more than Champaign, though, but we're still pretty cool here. :(

Also Peoria, sort of, but Peoria sucks so gently caress them.

Well I didn't mean IL was exclusively red everywhere except Chicago, but it's mostly true. Basically, the rural areas are red, the more urban you go the bluer.

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Right, but I'm talking about now, today. People started making those jokes again. Like. Just stop it. Talk about baseball, complain about Buster Posey's gold glove, whatever. But don't make light of a tragedy for a whole bunch of people.

It's a tragedy for everyone. On Earth. Some people use humor to deal with tragedy...but I'm not doing that here. It's super hosed and there's nothing I can do or say to make it better for you or any of us. I'm sorry.

Popete posted:

This is the Something Awful forums no? It's entirely built off poor taste.

This is true, and it's what I respond with to goons who have thin skin.

ScottyJSno posted:

N: Twitter reports

A MLB agent tells @CSNMooney that free agent reliever Aroldis Chapman is seeking a $100 million contract.

Yeah or no?

:stare: $100M...for what, 10 years? :stare: For the guy who blew the save in game 7 of the WS? :stare:

:stare:

:eyepop:

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Niwrad posted:

Yeah, I believe Theo has never been one to spend big money on bullpens. Always pushed more from building within. Probably the smart strategy considering how much relievers fluctuate and Theo is always right. Maybe they'll make a trade for someone like Colome in Tampa. You can always trade for bullpen arms at the deadline too.

Yeah, 100 million for Chapman is a no. He's an amazing talent but long term as we've seen, once triple digits are gone he morphs into Hunter Strickland. I'm not sold on Edwards as a closer just yet due to control issues so if there's going to be a deal for a closer hopefully it comes without the deadline surcharge.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

In a small defense of his demand, isn't the cost per win in free agency about $8 million? And he's averaged just over 2.5 WAR since becoming a full time closer 5 years ago.

ScottyJSno
Aug 16, 2010

日本が大好きです!

Niwrad posted:

In a small defense of his demand, isn't the cost per win in free agency about $8 million? And he's averaged just over 2.5 WAR since becoming a full time closer 5 years ago.

Not to defend 100m becuse that is crazy talk, but I dont think you can use a average $ per war for RP right?

RP war is cray low for whst they do. Zack Britton had a 'cy young season' and his war was only 4.3 per Baseball Reference.

Dex Fowler had 4.3 war too. Should they get paid the same?

I have no idea what the point of this was.

Is there a better stat for RP? A FIP + BABIP. AnERA+ perchance?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Niwrad posted:

I just don't think that salary works for a closer, even a good one. $100M either works out to be a ridiculous amount per year for a couple years, or a lesser amount per year over several years, and as he ages his velocity will decline, reducing his effectiveness and value at the end. Plus there's the uncertainty as to how long his arm will hold out throwing 104+.

------------------------------------

I just read this article which has this quote at the end:

quote:

Baseball spending still is strictly limited, relative to baseball revenues, for three more seasons based on bank covenants related to the Ricketts’ family purchase of the team in late 2009.

Anyone know the specifics of that? I can understand them leveraging the purchase of the team and being restricted in terms of additional expenditures until terms of the loan are fulfilled, but what are the financial constraints mentioned in that paragraph?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Atomizer posted:

Anyone know the specifics of that? I can understand them leveraging the purchase of the team and being restricted in terms of additional expenditures until terms of the loan are fulfilled, but what are the financial constraints mentioned in that paragraph?

The CBA only allows you to carry debt 8 times that of operating income. The Cubs had to buy the team using a huge amount of debt because Zell didn't want to pay taxes. So until the CBA changes or the debt is paid in 3 years, the Cubs payroll will likely not be high.

I'm wondering if they overspent last year and now have to cut salary for this year (Hammel and Fowler).

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Adrian Beltre posted:

"I think I'm happier for him than for me because for the last couple of years, he has played such a great defensive first base and was never recognized," Beltre said. "Most of my mistakes are throwing the ball and Mitch has saved me so many errors and makes things look easier for me."

Adrian is the best guy :unsmith:

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

Atomizer posted:

:stare: $100M...for what, 10 years? :stare: For the guy who blew the save in game 7 of the WS? :stare:

:stare:

:eyepop:

To be fair him blowing that save wasn't on him at all. Like Joe Maddon burned that dude hard. And then he came back out and pitched a good inning when he had absolutely nothing. He had to throw like 10 straight sliders and got people out.

Not to say he's worth 100 million. But I don't hold game 7 against him.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Dexo posted:

To be fair him blowing that save wasn't on him at all. Like Joe Maddon burned that dude hard. And then he came back out and pitched a good inning when he had absolutely nothing. He had to throw like 10 straight sliders and got people out.

Not to say he's worth 100 million. But I don't hold game 7 against him.

Wait. Was this Joe's plan all along? Burn up Chapman, make him look bad in ~~big spotz~~ and then drive his price down so the Cubs could resign him?!!

:v:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Did anyone else have images of 1998 Rod Beck dancing through their head during Chapman's innings in Game 7?

Spring Break My Heart
Feb 15, 2012

ScottyJSno posted:

Not to defend 100m becuse that is crazy talk, but I dont think you can use a average $ per war for RP right?

RP war is cray low for whst they do. Zack Britton had a 'cy young season' and his war was only 4.3 per Baseball Reference.

Dex Fowler had 4.3 war too. Should they get paid the same?

I have no idea what the point of this was.

Is there a better stat for RP? A FIP + BABIP. AnERA+ perchance?
WAR for relievers is low because the relievers are less valuable than other positions. Britton should not have received real Cy Young consideration (and he's at least out of the top 3 in a not particularly staggering year of candidates). Giving guys like Gagne the Cy Young should be seen along the same line as giving Juan Gonzalez the MVP.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

tadashi posted:

Did anyone else have images of 1998 Rod Beck dancing through their head during Chapman's innings in Game 7?

I pretty much only think of him when playing the Giants.

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

tadashi posted:

Thinking about Rod Beck now makes me sad. :smith:

That dude loved baseball. He's buried in his Cubs uniform. :rip:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Apparently Go Cubs Go made it onto the Billboard charts. More importantly, Northwestern and Illinois did a marching band version.

e: revised because I didn't bother reading everything

Explosionface fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 10, 2016

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Dickster signed with the Braves for 1 year with an option

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Illinois did too!

https://twitter.com/IlliniFootball/status/794956734062280704

I hope Go Cubs Go becomes as hated by fans of opposing teams as Chelsea Dagger

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

and if they don't dance,

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Illinois did too!

That'll teach me to not read everything! To be honest, I think everyone already hates it. I even hate it a bit right now because it hasn't left my head since game 7.

Armitage
Aug 16, 2005

"Mathman's not here." "Oh? Where is he?" "He's in the Mathroom."

FlamingLiberal posted:

This week's been a gigantic bummer :smith:

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Spring Break My Heart posted:

WAR for relievers is low because the relievers are less valuable than other positions. Britton should not have received real Cy Young consideration (and he's at least out of the top 3 in a not particularly staggering year of candidates). Giving guys like Gagne the Cy Young should be seen along the same line as giving Juan Gonzalez the MVP.

As a person who firmly believes Zach Britton should have been the Cy Young winner:

a: Pitcher WAR is a bad stat for all pitchers, not just relievers.

b: Unlike the MVP, which has 'most valuable' right in the name, Cy Young is simply an award for the best pitcher in the league. Obviously how you judge this depends person to person, but this is why relievers winning Cy Young awards is not as crazy as a not very valuable player winning the MVP in 2016.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

FlamingLiberal posted:

RA Dickey is a cool old man and I will miss having him on the Blue Jays.

elentar
Aug 26, 2002

Every single year the Ivy League takes a break from fucking up the world through its various alumni to fuck up everyone's bracket instead.

FlamingLiberal posted:

In keeping with Braves tradition, he will be assigned the last name Niekro for next season.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

a: Pitcher WAR is a bad stat for all pitchers, not just relievers.

What makes you say this? Is this just fWAR or all types of pitcher WAR?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miz Kriss
Mar 17, 2009

It's only an avatar if the Cubs get swept.

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

Get the Cubs to also play Chelsea Dagger for every home run. Gather all the salt. :getin:

• Locked thread