Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011

NutritiousSnack posted:

There was no media, right wing or mainstream behind Trump this election. No one in power wanted him to win, and in fact went out of their way and made it their mission to try to make sure he lost the primary or the general (though the progressive media pushed him, thinking he'd be a pied piper candidate in the primary, lmao). He got here through social media and his physical rallies.

This is honestly my feelings on the matter. Myself and most of the people I talked to who voted trump did so because of obvious bias everywhere you looked. If you spent 5 minutes watching a trump rally you saw that he was a better choice. What really killed the DNC vote was the huge #spiritcooking scandal that was not possible to spin away. A lot of people , In every community dislike the ideas of blood magick. It was by far the single most shocking thing of the entire election, way worse then the billy bush tape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Squashing Machine posted:

It's because this is the same hysterical reaction that the right wing has had to the two previous elections, and we made fun of their doomsaying and wailing too. But somehow, this result is so insanely serious that even making light of it in a generalized way is the worst sin ever and a direct attack on identities whose names are being used like some sort of power word. It's the very definition of being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it.

Oh I see you've never heard of VP-Elect Pence then. Not that a piece of garbage like you will give a poo poo but other people reading might.

https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/796487996405063680

Maybe learn something about the concept of punching up vs punching down? Nah, too hard and no one in /pol/ will appreciate that kind of humor anyways.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah all minorities should defintley arm themselves now.

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe

It's because this is the same hysterical reaction that the right wing has had to the two previous elections, and we made fun of their doomsaying and wailing too. But somehow, this result is so insanely serious that even making light of it in a generalized way is the worst sin ever and a direct attack on identities whose names are being used like some sort of power word. It's the very definition of being able to dish it out, but not being able to take it.

It was cool watching Alex Jones slowly realize he'd have to become an establishment talking head and watch all my left friends lose their minds completely and start talking about stockpiling guns and nonperishable food

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

OlmanRiver posted:

This is honestly my feelings on the matter. Myself and most of the people I talked to who voted trump did so because of obvious bias everywhere you looked. If you spent 5 minutes watching a trump rally you saw that he was a better choice. What really killed the DNC vote was the huge #spiritcooking scandal that was not possible to spin away. A lot of people , In every community dislike the ideas of blood magick. It was by far the single most shocking thing of the entire election, way worse then the billy bush tape.

please qource your suotes

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011

Zelder posted:

Sources of what? I was simply stating my opinion. I don't see footnotes at the bottom of all of your posts.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

Yeah all minorities should defintley arm themselves now.

Yeah I think we as a nation are going to only stop this if when we see them trying to intimidate minorities we film them and shame them. Also we should probably arm ourselves.

The intersection of national stop and frisk with a rise in minority carry...

Spaced God
Feb 8, 2014

All torment, trouble, wonder and amazement
Inhabits here: some heavenly power guide us
Out of this fearful country!

Kilroy posted:

Like, Clipper Chip stuff? Could be, but bearing in mind that sort of thing would actually harm US industry and national security - well we'll see. FBI folks like to agitate for it, but FBI folks are idiots. So is everyone else in government now though so :shrug:

Chaos does, in fact, reign.

Clipper Chip, maybe even a court overturning the Apple decision with a different case to force companies to include backdoors. gently caress at this rate I wouldn't be surprised if the NSA turns PRISM and poo poo to ICE and the FBI to find illegal immigrants and spy on anti trump journos.

I'm legitimately scared for all the various things that I hold dear that are gonna be held down and brutally hosed in the next 4 years

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

OlmanRiver posted:

I'm willing to humor just about any explanation at this point but if this was the case then Russia can just go ahead and pave over us.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Kilroy posted:

Like, Clipper Chip stuff? Could be, but bearing in mind that sort of thing would actually harm US industry and national security - well we'll see. FBI folks like to agitate for it, but FBI folks are idiots. So is everyone else in government now though so :shrug:

Chaos does, in fact, reign.

He will have access to the NSA so it's not like he'll need the Clipper Chip. Between the FBI and NSA he's gonna be able to trim his list quick.

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Zelder posted:

I think for the next few years we need to amend Poe's law to basically state that there is no such thing as parody in the first place.

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
People blaming the media are seriously not understanding the times, fascism wins through street politics first. It takes on the trappings of revolutionary movements to push for reactionary positions. Trying to make sense of it through the patterns of previous elections is pointless. This isn't a normal election, this is the march on Rome.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

How much power does Pence have to overturn Obama's Planned Parenthood, bathroom protections, etc? How do we prevent that from happening?

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
aside from all of the obvious factors like race and jobs and so on, looking back on at least the last five elections i feel like you could make a pretty good case that people generally reject whomever they feel is the most "establishment" candidate. not precisely sure how the gently caress two silver spooners like bush and trump managed to convince people that they weren't "the man" but they did.

e: also the country has increasingly become a place where there are two different sets of rules for the haves and the have nots and as long as that doesn't change people are going to keep voting for "change"

Noctone fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Nov 10, 2016

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

PKJC posted:

Oh I see you've never heard of VP-Elect Pence then. Not that a piece of garbage like you will give a poo poo but other people reading might.

https://twitter.com/ZachStafford/status/796487996405063680

Maybe learn something about the concept of punching up vs punching down? Nah, too hard and no one in /pol/ will appreciate that kind of humor anyways.

So the entire topic of the election is off limits then? I never made fun of trans people. You're making a false equivalence because you're upset at having lost and having to eat your portion of crow. I'm a liberal, but "punching up/down" is all relative and a really easy deflection tactic when you're upset that you're not being taken seriously for once.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

OlmanRiver posted:

Sources of what? I was simply stating my opinion. I don't see footnotes at the bottom of all of your posts.

oh okay

ya i think i also underestimated the affect that blood magick panic(k?) would have on the electorate

and poo poo are my footnotes not popping up[1]?

[1] my rear end

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PKJC posted:

Pragmatism is certainly a valid way to handle professional relations but it's also not an or situation and awful people should not get even the most slight of passes for their awful actions. Report terrible people to HR where reasonable to do so.

You're not going to get very far with HR, screaming about trump supporters. I can guarantee it

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

it's cool and good that Democrats have so quickly recovered from this sound rebuke from middle america and landed on the winning strategy of ostracising dissenters from their little clique

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Admiral Ray posted:

He will have access to the NSA so it's not like he'll need the Clipper Chip. Between the FBI and NSA he's gonna be able to trim his list quick.
Yeah Trump will do whatever but this is more about Congress passing a law mandating that businesses send data over the wire that the federal government can plug in to. That would leave e.g. our financial markets at serious risk of being subverted and a bunch of other stuff.

If it happens at least there would have to be an exception of some sort, basically for industry. Of course this should come as exactly no consolation at all but there it is.

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011
You can make fun, but I talked to real people who said they saw what they were doing and were turned off by it. This is a huge number of votes.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Rated PG-34 posted:

You're not going to get very far with HR, screaming about trump supporters. I can guarantee it

But they think the wrong things, and that makes me angry and scared. It's an assault on my well-being to be disagreed with

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Noctone posted:

not precisely sure how the gently caress two silver spooners like bush and trump managed to convince people that they weren't "the man" but they did.

Trump is the only major candidate to ever have legit claim to "Washington outsider" status.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Kilroy posted:

Most of it was negative advertising but yes this is largely true. The media legitimized Trump. Perhaps the Dems can learn some lessons there about how to manipulate the media better, but a lot of it is probably one-time stuff that only applied to Trump.

Anyway I said it's still a problem, but I don't think it's the existential threat is was assumed to be anymore. The corrupting influence of money in politics is a bigger problem than the need to fundraise in order to even have a campaign, in my opinion.

I agree with what was said above your post about how it's got a diminishing returns point on the national level. But personally I feel that while most people will claim that negative advertising doesn't affect them the results certainly prove otherwise. I don't think it's an existential threat, but it certainly doesn't make things better.

quote:

Yes, this is basically my point. There is a difference between helping people get their hate on, and indoctrinating them on actual policy. To be clear, I don't think those voters can be won back, or the resources required to do it either aren't there are would be put to much better use elsewhere. I was replying to a post that seemed to assume that all the RWM consumers were totally sold on boilerplate conservative doctrine. Trump sorta proves that isn't the case.

Agreed, the only thing in your post I really object to is the idea that RWM is a paper tiger. They're just not very good as a party of harnessing it. Trump however is a huckster and a carnival barker and thus is very good at playing to that crowd. Again the whole PUA stuff works very well on them since they WANT to be told those things.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

A Wizard of Goatse posted:

it's cool and good that Democrats have so quickly recovered from this sound rebuke from middle america and landed on the winning strategy of ostracising dissenters from their little clique

I'm sure they'll drop everything for a chance to be on the losing team now

The important lesson to take from this election is that we need more purity, a smaller party full of people with the exactly correct opinions, and, more than anything else, fewer voters

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

OlmanRiver posted:

What? I don't think anyone even heard of that outside of people who follow far right wing blogs and stuff. John Podesta was invited to a weird rear end performance art show and didn't even go to it. I don't see what's even particularly controversial about that. Do people think he was actually cooking a real baby or something?

PKJC
May 7, 2009

So the entire topic of the election is off limits then? I never made fun of trans people. You're making a false equivalence because you're upset at having lost and having to eat your portion of crow. I'm a liberal, but "punching up/down" is all relative and a really easy deflection tactic when you're upset that you're not being taken seriously for once.

Keep moving those goalposts, friend. Given that I doubt you have a comprehensive spreadsheet on what posters belong to which oppressed groups if any, explain why you're so concerned about peoples' "hysterical reactions". You do not and cannot know whether their reactions are in proportion to the reality facing them, 300 trans kids didn't call a suicide helpline in under 24 hours of the election results because they're worried about a .2% tax increase, it's because they're worried about a) what vehemently anti-LGBT shitlord Mike Pence will do given Trump's avowed statement that Pence will be in charge of foreign and domestic policy while Trump is busy with MAGA and b) they are already a group who are disproportionately targeted for violence, harassment, and sexual assault, and the country just elected a president who dropped all the dog whistling on all of those things and has already emboldened all the lovely people who were already making their lives difficult.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

The important lesson to take from this election is that we need more purity, a smaller party full of people with the exactly correct opinions, and, more than anything else, fewer voters

if you vote all of my candidates out of office, well heck, you're a racist, and I don't need you anyway. get off my blog

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Also, people who think HR is on their side are dumb. They're called Human Resources for a reason. They treat you like a resource. What do you think that means?

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

I think I'm checking out from keeping up with politics for a while. I used to pride myself on staying well informed, I don't see the point anymore, at least not for the immediate future.

I'm gonna focus on taking care of myself.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Rated PG-34 posted:

Oh I know, I'm a southerner, that's why I put the "where reasonable" caveat. Lots of HR departments are useless, and just defend the status quo, and some, I assume, are decent people.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

I gotta be honest: I have no idea how the permaban system works. I mean, the name implies that it's a "permanent ban" but I've seen accounts with rapsheets that list more than one permaban which shouldn't be possible if it's a permanent ban. Also, even is the account is permabanned, can't the person just pay ten bucks to make a new account?

So anyway, politics: I think the Trump presidency will end up being about the same as a combination of the George W. Bush years and the Reagan administration. So, ya know, not great for anyone except the hyper rich but we'll get through it just like we got through those other two.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

WampaLord posted:

I think I'm checking out from keeping up with politics for a while. I used to pride myself on staying well informed, I don't see the point anymore, at least not for the immediate future.

I'm gonna focus on taking care of myself.

I wish I could do this. But I can't check out of it. Taking care of myself necessarily means being involved. If I don't fight, I will be in danger.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Trump recession incoming in 2-3 years. There's some cold-hearted debate about whether deporting 3% of the US population will slightly help or seriously hurt the economy, it doesn't matter. Same goes for nullifying trade agreements.

The "good"
- infrastructure plan negates the stimulative effect of government funding the projects, as it consists purely of tax subsidies for private companies
- promises to increase defense spending, which economically is a positive except it's one of the least efficient ways to stimulate the economy.
- tax cuts for the middle class, except the stimulative effects will be offset by serious cuts for the rich.

The bad
- gutting the ACA, medicaid, housing, and every level of social investment represent a massive decrease in spending that will have an immediate depressive effect on the economy.
- empty fed seats filled with ideologues will give us increased interest rates, further depressing the economy.
- The GOP doesn't understand the "tax increase" part of austerity, so confusion and anger over rising government debt will likely be answered with further spending cuts.

If you have a job, do what you can to make yourself indispensable now.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

I wish I could do this. But I can't check out of it. Taking care of myself necessarily means being involved. If I don't fight, I will lose.

I get that, and I realize I'm lucky enough to be a white guy who can ignore this poo poo, at least for a while. I'm more than willing to join whatever progressive movement forms from these ashes, but that's gonna take time to develop.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Too Shy Guy posted:

Trump is the only major candidate to ever have legit claim to "Washington outsider" status.
Eisenhower?

OlmanRiver
Mar 30, 2011

greatn posted:

What? I don't think anyone even heard of that outside of people who follow far right wing blogs and stuff. John Podesta was invited to a weird rear end performance art show and didn't even go to it. I don't see what's even particularly controversial about that. Do people think he was actually cooking a real baby or something?

Yes , whether it is true or not, there were 750,000 tweets involving it and many, many people saw it. I'm sure it moved the needle. It even made it on fox 2 or 3 times.

OlmanRiver fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Nov 10, 2016

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

if you vote all of my candidates out of office, well heck, you're a racist, and I don't need you anyway. get off my blog

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWMmBG3Z4DI&t=4771s

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

So anyway, politics: I think the Trump presidency will end up being about the same as a combination of the George W. Bush years and the Reagan administration. So, ya know, not great for anyone except the hyper rich but we'll get through it just like we got through those other two.
Those were both pretty dark times and the Democratic party came out of both weaker, not stronger. I'm optimistic this time because the progressives are basically the only faction left standing now, but whether they can turn that into anything that wins election is really up in the air. "Get through it" is a pretty low bar, and anyway some people literally will not accomplish that.

PoizenJam
Dec 2, 2006

Damn!!!
It's PoizenJam!!!

Remember, when outrage politics and righteous indignation doesn't work, double down on it. Hopeless working class schlubs in the Rust Belt breaking right? That's not indicative of any anti-establishment undercurrent or a failure of the left to provide an attractive economic policy. Nope, it's racism and bigotry all the way down, and the only way to win is to continue ostracizing every single ideologically impure individual.

Starting to really understand where 'No War but the Class War' sentiments come from. It just manifests itself in different ways. Happy, contented individuals don't vote for firebrand bigot demagogues. They vote for him because they're scared and hopeless, and he at least he pretended to give a poo poo about the Rust Belt folks with his 'Forgotten man' speech. Bernie could have done the same. I know that's really in vogue to say right now, and I realize the election would have went down much differently with him at the helm, and there's no guarantee his lead from the Spring would have held up. Nonetheless, it seems Bernie had the right appeal in all the areas where Democrats failed bigly this time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilroy
Oct 1, 2000

Fansy posted:

If you have a job, do what you can to make yourself indispensable now.
I am moving back to the US from Japan this month and will start looking for work in a couple weeks. I'm a software engineer in Seattle so, I guess maybe I'm not totally hosed, but yeah if I had known this was going to happen I think I would not have moved back after all.

• Locked thread