Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Large segments of Cubs fans hate Go Cubs Go. It's just kinda an indoctrination thing. I hate it and I find myself singing it(will never listen to it outside the context of a cubs win or something though.

Chelsea dagger is a fun melody and great. Especially the only part that they play. Wish I liked hockey enough to watch the regular season of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dexo posted:

Large segments of Cubs fans hate Go Cubs Go. It's just kinda an indoctrination thing. I hate it and I find myself singing it(will never listen to it outside the context of a cubs win or something though.

Chelsea dagger is a fun melody and great. Especially the only part that they play. Wish I liked hockey enough to watch the regular season of it.

I hate it partly because it's not part of my Cubs Fan Childhood and we're all acting like it's this longrunning tradition. It's like that elf on a shelf bullshit. It's fake nostalgia!

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
I want the Cardinals to trade for Ryan Braun but I know they won't.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Thom P. Tiers posted:

I can't say I'm purely against it because it lets me direct all my hate at one team, but at the same time I don't like a career Cub killer heading to the Cards.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
i hope ryan braun gets traded into a volcano

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/TKGore/status/796728636703383553

:unsmith:

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Poque posted:

lol. I hate the guy too but he crushes baseballs and I think he can do that for 4 more years.

TMMadman
Sep 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Poque posted:

What would the Brewers get in return?

Scob
Jul 17, 2005

TMMadman posted:

What would the Brewers get in return?

matt adams and jaime garcia lol

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
~$80m off the books

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

This person does not speak for all Cardinals fans. I'm part of Poque's pro-volcano movement when it comes to Ryan Braun.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Pancakes posted:

This person does not speak for all Cardinals fans. I'm part of Poque's pro-volcano movement when it comes to Ryan Braun.

But Ryan Braun is really good at baseballing and the Cardinals need that.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

ego symphonic posted:

What makes you say this? Is this just fWAR or all types of pitcher WAR?

I suppose saying it's a bad stat is a bit hyperbolic. It's just not as useful as player WAR and is generally, in my eyes, does a bad job capturing who the best pitchers are.

Generally speaking, I think it rewards worse pitchers for pitching more innings than in should. This is a big deal, as it punishes a pitcher for playing on a team with a better bullpen.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

Thom P. Tiers posted:

But Ryan Braun is really good at baseballing and the Cardinals need that.

I would rather continue to lose for another year or two than have that scumbag on our team.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text
Mike Leake is the second highest paid Cardinal in 2017 :suicide:

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=

Thom P. Tiers posted:

~$80m off the books

I actually don't think the Brewers are four years away from competing but I wonder what the Brewers' front office thinks.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Poque posted:

I actually don't think the Brewers are four years away from competing but I wonder what the Brewers' front office thinks.

The Brewers' front office (as in David Stearns, Child Prodigy) thinks that the team needs to focus on the draft and developing talent for the next few years. They're getting as many prospects as they can MLB time to see how they develop and who they can build around.

The Brewers' owner Mark Attanasio is a true baseball fan and every time the Brewers get on a 4 day hot streak starts flapping his lips about how if we just get the right guys in there we could contend, this year maybe even.

I genuinely believe a lot of the things we attribute to Doug Melvin's leadership had more to do with Attanasio pestering him all the time to go for it. Hopefully Stearns is more resilient against that and trades every tradeable guy for more prospects. Ryan Braun absolutely should not be in Milwaukee anymore, and it's a crime that Khris Davis isn't in Milwaukee anymore.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Paul Zuvella posted:

I suppose saying it's a bad stat is a bit hyperbolic. It's just not as useful as player WAR and is generally, in my eyes, does a bad job capturing who the best pitchers are.

Generally speaking, I think it rewards worse pitchers for pitching more innings than in should. This is a big deal, as it punishes a pitcher for playing on a team with a better bullpen.

It also punishes guys who outperform their fip because of odd skills that allow for weak fly ball contact, like peak Matt Cain, Dickey or Marco Estrada the last couple years.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

Paul Zuvella posted:

Also pitcher wins are dumb, so clearly pitcher wins above replacement must also be dumb, duh.

ego symphonic
Feb 23, 2010

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

It also punishes guys who outperform their fip because of odd skills that allow for weak fly ball contact, like peak Matt Cain, Dickey or Marco Estrada the last couple years.

Well, fWAR specifically does that, which is why I would personally agree that it's a stupid stat. But I think that RA9-WAR is a strong indicator of a pitcher's value over the course of a season, if not necessarily a predictor of his future performance.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Poque posted:

4-5 years from now is when the bulk of the Cubs young talent base will hit FA, which means if you're an NL Central team trying to rebuild that's probably when you'd like your window to open. Honestly I think the Brewers could compete even before that, since they have a decent core of young guys who are going to keep getting better, and a fledgling ace in Davies. They just need to find more answers for their rotation beyond Davies.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

Sydin posted:

4-5 years from now is when the bulk of the Cubs young talent base will hit FA, which means if you're an NL Central team trying to rebuild that's probably when you'd like your window to open. Honestly I think the Brewers could compete even before that, since they have a decent core of young guys who are going to keep getting better, and a fledgling ace in Davies. They just need to find more answers for their rotation beyond Davies.

They have several guys cooking in the minors, and I imagine their big trade targets this year will be pitching prospects (since Stearns focused mostly on position players last season). I don't think there's any reason to get to aggressive hunting down FA pitching talent or even current MLB trade targets until they have a group of bats who demonstrate that they can hit consistently through a whole season. The Brewers this season were extremely hot-and-cold and while a lot of them came out with okayish numbers, the wins weren't there and while the pitching has been a problem, there's plenty of games they lost 2-1 or 3-1.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

I mean, look at the guy.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Pancakes posted:

I would rather continue to lose for another year or two than have that scumbag on our team.

100% agreed. gently caress Ryan Braun.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Pvt. Public posted:

100% agreed. gently caress Ryan Braun.

Yeah I wouldn't do that to some innocent volcano.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Rizzo adds a silver slugger to his gold glove :hellyeah:

even though it totally should have been Freeman

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
What the hell is Trout doing with all these silver slugger awards? He just won his fifth straight. He's gonna run out of people to give them to.

TheChaosPath
Jul 22, 2005

Poque posted:

Rizzo adds a silver slugger to his gold glove :hellyeah:

even though it totally should have been Freeman

Huh, I knew Freeman was awesome this season but him being possibly the most valuable first baseman in baseball wasn't something that I had allowed myself to consider

Ice To Meet You
Mar 5, 2007

Salvador Perez won the silver slugger with a line of .247/.288/.438

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast
Arrieta wins Silver Slugger over Wainwright and I die a little more inside.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
I wish I could feel :smug: about Arrieta winning the SS over Adam "Doubles" Wainwright and Madison "DON'T LOOK AT ME" Bumgarner, but instead I'm just have a sense of mild irritation and disappointment :smith:

e. Also :lol: at Bryant winning the Hank Aaron Award but not the Silver Slugger.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves
Altuve gets another silver slugger award :toot: His third

You could've made a legit case for Cano probably

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Sydin posted:

I wish I could feel :smug: about Arrieta winning the SS over Adam "Doubles" Wainwright and Madison "DON'T LOOK AT ME" Bumgarner, but instead I'm just have a sense of mild irritation and disappointment :smith:

e. Also :lol: at Bryant winning the Hank Aaron Award but not the Silver Slugger.

Bryant only played like 100 games at 3rd and also shouldn't have won the Aaron Award.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
N: https://twitter.com/Braves/status/796744383743819776

V: Cool I guess?

WienerDog
Apr 8, 2007
Resident Rocking Dachshund
Did anyone make a free agent guessing game for this off-season?

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

Good Dog posted:

What the hell is Trout doing with all these silver slugger awards? He just won his fifth straight. He's gonna run out of people to give them to.
A bigass Flava-Flav style necklace?

BasicFunk
Feb 26, 2011

How's your Funkentelechy?

TheChaosPath posted:

Huh, I knew Freeman was awesome this season but him being possibly the most valuable first baseman in baseball wasn't something that I had allowed myself to consider

Freddie Freeman was crazy good this year, especially after the Kemp trade.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Intruder posted:

Altuve gets another silver slugger award :toot: His third

You could've made a legit case for Cano probably

I will fight you

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Pancakes posted:

Arrieta wins Silver Slugger over Wainwright and I die a little more inside.

After what Arrieta posted, me too, friend, me too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ruddiger posted:

I mean, look at the guy.

That's exactly my view.

Also he's probably on methamphetamines.

• Locked thread