Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

One bright point to note today is that Trump has already passed the first great test of leadership before him, which was resisting the urge to call protesters haters and losers in a 3:30am tweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Tatsuta Age posted:

That's it. That's the reason none of this matters.

Some/most people who voted Trump either don't know or don't care that everything he spouted was utter horseshit. Facts don't matter. Nothing does.

If the base gets pissed off that The Party couldn't do what they wanted in 2/4, they'll just vote in even grander liars next time. The slope is greased and ready to go all the loving way down.

Dude, Hillary won the popular vote and lost in states by razor thin margins. Acting like all is lost forever is stupid. This wasn't a landslide or anything. The Republicans are going to be in power and when awful things happen economically it'll be their fault.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tatsuta Age posted:

That's it. That's the reason none of this matters.

Some/most people who voted Trump either don't know or don't care that everything he spouted was utter horseshit. Facts don't matter. Nothing does.

If the base gets pissed off that The Party couldn't do what they wanted in 2/4, they'll just vote in even grander liars next time. The slope is greased and ready to go all the loving way down.

This point also leads to where we are as far as the Republicans doing or not doing all the things they've said they'd do when they took over. If they don't follow through with every single thing they promised they'll get nailed to a wall and primaried by a true believer. They have no excuses to fall back on now. No liberal boogeymen stopping them, nothing. I don't exactly have a ton of conservative friends on facebook but I've already seen the sentiment that they expect it all right loving now. Lower taxes, Hillary in jail, illegals gone, Obamacare gone, etc...

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!

steinrokkan posted:

After decades of the right fringe making GBS threads their pants over the UN, over THE DEBT, over Agenda 21 and other conspiracies to weaken America and steal money from its citizens, Trump came and started pummeling the "globalists", whatever that means, for putting America on second track, he called out the 1% for not caring about the working man and abusing the tax code, he made some "common sense" proclamations about the debt and how America can't be in somebody else's pocket, how there need to be better deals so America isn't giving away its wealth in exchange for nothing, he pummeled past leadership on being too weak in dealing with China and on allowing the NAFTA to hurt American manufacturers, or on hurting American interests and finances by trying to be a world cop, he complained about the weakness of American military strategy... Hell, he even took credit for American companies moving some factories from Mexico back to the US, and said he would convince more to return!

He played straight into the most obvious political openings, and it worked, and what is frustrating is that those are the same opeinings that could have been used by the Democrats, but weren't - the overwhelming anti-1% sentiment, the hatred towards the TPP, the desire for a stable economy with low unemployment...

But he also made some remarks that were racist, so that is 100% of the reason why he is successful.

The willingness and depth you go to downplay and excuse racism is disgusting.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka

Lemming posted:

Dude, Hillary won the popular vote and lost in states by razor thin margins. Acting like all is lost forever is stupid. This wasn't a landslide or anything. The Republicans are going to be in power and when awful things happen economically it'll be their fault.

Actually, this is the worst thing that ever happened, we're all going to die, and telling me to calm down is hate speech.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Lord Hydronium posted:

First of all, do you have numbers on this? Honest question, I only know the basic turnout numbers, not the specific demographics of them.

Second, would a hypothetical Candidate Sanders who appeals strongly to working-class whites have been able to also drive turnout among non-white voters? Like, clearly all the Bernie holdouts here seem to think so, but I'm not sure there's any evidence for that other than "I personally like him".

For what it's worth, I voted for Sanders, like the guy, and have nothing against him. And clearly there was something more that Clinton could/should have done. It's just the answer to that isn't as simple as "be Bernie".

I don't have numbers on it, at least yet, just a theory.

I do think he would have appealed to non-white voters as well, since he had adjusted his message to address social justice in the primary and was doing a decent job of it, he just made that adjustment far too late when Clinton had a 40 year head start on an issue he had largely disappeared on for decades. He didn't spend the time or money on those communities early I think largely because he didn't have the resources and by the time he did have the resources it was too late, but that would have changed in the general.

I don't know if he would have won, but I'd sure like a time machine to find out. If not, then I'll go back to Joe Biden and tell him I'm from future and he must run, then I'll try Metric Man, then Killed a Man, then Wire Man.

Then I'll be like "gently caress, I have a time machine, I can do anything", and put some money on the cubbies, and kill baby Hitler.

greatn fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Nov 10, 2016

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Tatsuta Age posted:

I guess I just disagree. Seems like if the media can spin "everything's pretty alright right now BUT IT ACTUALLY SUCKS! VOTE TRUMP OR PERISH", they can probably spin "EVERYTHING ACTUALLY SUCKS! VOTE PENCE OR PERISH" just as easily, and because nobody pays attention to anything for more than a fart in the wind's lifecycle, that's that forever.

Did the media actually really portray his "policy" as anything more than a joke? I guess I got the impression that it was more that they gave him a ton of airtime simply for saying outrageous poo poo. The fault in this, of course, is he gets tons of free publicity.

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/796700091914534912

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/796700418432790528

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/796716979210059776

https://twitter.com/tbonier/status/796717132801331200

https://twitter.com/DataIsBeautiful/status/796567674205638656

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Too Shy Guy posted:

One bright point to note today is that Trump has already passed the first great test of leadership before him, which was resisting the urge to call protesters haters and losers in a 3:30am tweet.

Does Trump hang up his Twitter once he moves into the White House?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Bad Decision Dino posted:

In hindsight, coming in here and making some smug posts about how we lost the day after the election while people are dealing with some very real bigotry inspired by it wasn't the classiest move in the book. My apologies to everyone in this thread who has had to deal with this poo poo in real life and doesn't have the luxury of being smug about it on the internet.
Well done.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Squashing Machine posted:

Actually, this is the worst thing that ever happened, we're all going to die, and telling me to calm down is hate speech.

Ok, to be fair those first two things are true.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Lemming posted:

Nah, they've won. Especially if one of the liberal justices on the Supreme Court kicks it. They're going to fill all the vacancies that have been piling up under Obama with the biggest most partisan hacks they can. They're going to undo every even remotely good thing that has been done under Obama after they ran poo poo into the ground the last time they were in charge.

Butch Cassidy
Jul 28, 2010

PKJC posted:

...will make sure to continue keeping to myself and avoid working for a company with more people than I can manage to get to know on a personal basis.

Must be nice to live with that level of privilege.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

Deified Data posted:

Even worse. He gets @POTUS. :gonk:

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

Deified Data posted:

god I hope not

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Lemming posted:

No, they'll blame long term effects of Obama's policies.

Tatsuta Age
Apr 21, 2005

so good at being in trouble

pocket pool posted:

Did the media actually really portray his "policy" as anything more than a joke? I guess I got the impression that it was more that they gave him a ton of airtime simply for saying outrageous poo poo. The fault in this, of course, is he gets tons of free publicity.

Portraying it without any fact checking, in this post-Fairness-Doctrine world, is tantamount to giving him a total pass. People aren't going to do research on things that sound good to their ears. That's the reality of political discourse for 99% of the electorate now.

Free publicity & constant repetition = "must be true!"

FourLeaf
Dec 2, 2011

fknlo posted:

Nah, they've won. Especially if one of the liberal justices on the Supreme Court kicks it. They're going to fill all the vacancies that have been piling up under Obama with the biggest most partisan hacks they can. They're going to undo every even remotely good thing that has been done under Obama after they ran poo poo into the ground the last time they were in charge.

Yeah, this is the truth. Almost 40 years after Reagan and we haven't recovered. How many decades would it take to recover from what's going to happen in the next 4 years?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Lemming posted:

Ok, to be fair those first two things are true.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zja3pcPMszc

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Squashing Machine posted:

Wow you seem really bitter about being informed that it's a lovely thing to do to laugh off the concerns of people you don't know anything about, maybe you should disconnect for a while.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lessail posted:

The willingness and depth you go to downplay and excuse racism is disgusting.

Sorry, I'm not going to put a one sentence blanket judgement over 60 million people and pretend I'm done with election analysis.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

fknlo posted:

That wasn't my point. I agree that things are going to be apocalyptic. I'm saying that assuming the white House is lost forever is stupid, unless you specifically mean "in nuclear hellfire" in which case yeah probably.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

pocket pool posted:

Yeah the media didn't really give him much positive airtime, but they didn't really give him as much negative as he deserved. His more outrageous stuff was downplayed like "maybe it's a little strange he's saying Hillary should be jailed after the election. BTW all her scandals are real and she is possibly a criminal" and "yeah he's so presidential now that he's met with Mexico." The deluge of airtime he got really made him look much more legitimate while Hillary had the constant stink of corruption by a media that was ever present in just asking questions. Like Trump literally had a charity he used for fraud but that was a byline while Hillary''s was under constant questions about "optics" by "leftist" outlets like the New York Times.

This of course doesn't get into the fact that the media has been largely ignoring the right wing and their slow decent into madness because Both Sides Are The Same so of course the Republicans wouldn't nominate someone unqualified.

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Nov 10, 2016

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

Sorry, I'm not going to put a one sentence blanket judgement over 60 million people and pretend I'm done with election analysis.

It's quite nice that only a certain section of people with a certain physical characteristic gets that from you

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

chumbler posted:

This any economic woes with be on Obama

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

I'm not saying I'm done when I say racism was the foremost unifying force behind Trump's base - it certainly wasn't the only element at play, but it was by far the most important. This thread wouldn't exist if we thought the analysis ended there.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lessail posted:

It's quite nice that only a certain section of people with a certain physical characteristic gets that from you

gently caress off, post one example of anything racist I posted in any of the many election threads, you rear end in a top hat.

HorseRenoir
Dec 25, 2011

Pillbug

Lemming posted:

This is an important point and people need to remember this. Don't let these assholes bully the country into thinking they own the place with sub-Romney levels of support. 2016 was a lesson that enthusiasm is everything, and we're only going to make a comeback if we're energized to fight back instead of hopelessly moping around like the GOP wants us to be.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Butch Cassidy posted:

Must be nice to live with that level of privilege.

Nice shitpost friend, you do not know my reasons for wanting to stay out of that type of environment. Or are you saying I should drop my career and go into HR at some large company and attempt to change it from within? Because I have basically none of the relevant training or qualification to do work in mediation or legal stuff.

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

Radish posted:

Yeah the media didn't really give him much positive airtime, but they didn't really give him as much negative as he deserved. His more outrageous stuff was downplayed like "maybe it's a little strange he's saying Hillary should be jailed after the election. BTW all her scandals are real and she is possibly a criminal" and "yeah he's so presidential now that he's met with Mexico." The deluge of airtime he got really made him look much more legitimate while Hillary had the constant stink of corruption by a media that was ever present in just asking questions. Like Trump literally had a charity he used for fraud but that was a byline while Hillary''s was under constant questions about "optics" by "leftist" outlets like the New York Times.

The simple fact that he was everywhere all the time did a lot of that work for him. If you looked at Slate, Salon, HuffPo and any number of other left-leaning outlets, they had five articles about Trump to every one about Hillary. Even if they were negative, giving the man his sheer ubiquity is something these outlets took a huge role in.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

steinrokkan posted:

gently caress off, post one example of anything racist I posted in any of the many election threads, you rear end in a top hat.

All the posts you've made trying to absolve white people for voting for Trump you piece of poo poo. I will not support a Democratic Party with fuckers like you in charge

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

FourLeaf posted:

Yeah, this is the truth. Almost 40 years after Reagan and we haven't recovered. How many decades would it take to recover from what's going to happen in the next 4 years?

Depends how Trump starts using the executive powers that've been piling up under Bush and Obama

Tatsuta Age posted:

Portraying it without any fact checking, in this post-Fairness-Doctrine world, is tantamount to giving him a total pass. People aren't going to do research on things that sound good to their ears. That's the reality of political discourse for 99% of the electorate now.

Free publicity & constant repetition = "must be true!"

If people really voted for candidates purely as a package of bills and actions with a guy attached then Obama would've seen mass defections in 2012, campaign promises aren't concrete policy you get any guarantees of they're an assurance that the candidate is aware on some level of your priorities and will attempt to speak for them in office. People dismiss Trump with "he's just telling them what they want to hear!" like that's some kind of total burn oblivious that this is him signaling that he, unlike his critics, is at least aware of what they want to hear.

A Wizard of Goatse fucked around with this message at 19:17 on Nov 10, 2016

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Deified Data posted:

I'm not saying I'm done when I say racism was the foremost unifying force behind Trump's base - it certainly wasn't the only element at play, but it was by far the most important. This thread wouldn't exist if we thought the analysis ended there.

I don't say that it's the main force, but I posted in response to people who at the time were saying that it was literally impossible to get white people to vote Democrat, because that's defeatism. I stopped arguing about that particular thing as passions settled down. But I'm not going to let some drive by asswipe accuse me of poo poo.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

chumbler posted:

They'll blame it on Obama, and I'm sure many people will fervently believe it's Obama's fault. But most people will just punish the party in power, and it will be the Republicans.

Bush got re-elected and Republicans had a lot of good spin and had their base controlled, but when the economy started going to poo poo and stuff like Katrina happened, they all cratered for a while.

Fansy
Feb 26, 2013

I GAVE LOWTAX COOKIE MONEY TO CHANGE YOUR STUPID AVATAR GO FUCK YOURSELF DUDE
Grimey Drawer
Who will Trump nuke first?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

steinrokkan posted:

Trying to convince everyone that racism played no role in something in which racism did indeed play a huge role contributes to racism on an institutional scale. That's why you're not convincing anyone.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Lessail posted:

All the posts you've made trying to absolve white people for voting for Trump you piece of poo poo. I will not support a Democratic Party with fuckers like you in charge

Economics and courting white voters is all that matters now, We're no longer needed and our issues aren't wanted I guess.

VH4Ever
Oct 1, 2005

by sebmojo

HorseRenoir posted:

This is an important point and people need to remember this. Don't let these assholes bully the country into thinking they own the place with sub-Romney levels of support. 2016 was a lesson that enthusiasm is everything, and we're only going to make a comeback if we're energized to fight back instead of hopelessly moping around like the GOP wants us to be.

Exactly this. If people get off their rear end and unite against Trump/alt-right peddled hate mongering and nominate someone not so flawed as HRC to beat him in 2020 it's extremely possible, with the horrible record he'll have by then to run against.

Really getting pissed at articles like this one too, it proves the "establishment" has still learned nothing from this election: http://www.cnn.com/2016/11/10/politics/gary-johnson-jill-stein-spoiler

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Fansy posted:

Who will Trump nuke first?

New York, New York

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Lessail posted:

I'm sorry you believe literally everybody is motivated entirely by spite.

• Locked thread