Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Rahul posted:

One thing I've noticed that with terrain being more difficult to move through, is that a hell of a lot of movement points on units end up getting wasted by units who end a turn with one movement left that they are unable to use. This really disproportionately affects melee units in particular, and makes the effective movement cost of the terrain even higher than its already large nominal value. I wonder if you'd be able to fix a lot of the issues of unit movement being a slog by simply letting units carry over unused movement points for one turn (excepting units that didn't move at all, of course). This should still let terrain be a factor in deciding where to move units, but might help the game flow a bit better

I'd rather that the terrain restrictions only apply to siege units, archers and cavalry, but melee units and scouts use the "old" rules. This would make scouts and melee more valuable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

wyoak posted:

It also made the culture war more interesting

the more I play the more I find myself agreeing with all you Civ4-rose-tinted-glass-wearing-old-timers

Civ4 was a very well design game in almost all aspects, even on release.

Nova Odin
Jul 13, 2014

twistedmentat posted:

Either they need to enable you to close boarders to missionaries, or maybe give you an atheist unit. Some guy in a trenchcoat and fedora or something.

Not sure how you feel about mods but there's this one:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/dales-religious-units-border-control.604097/

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Powercrazy posted:

I'd rather that the terrain restrictions only apply to siege units, archers and cavalry, but melee units and scouts use the "old" rules. This would make scouts and melee more valuable.

Seconding this, cav+siege is where it's at atm. Although I feel that melee also needs a decrease in hammers to produce as well as the cav production policy bonus decrease to 50% from 100%.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Khagan posted:

Seconding this, cav+siege is where it's at atm. Although I feel that melee also needs a decrease in hammers to produce as well as the cav production policy bonus decrease to 50% from 100%.

If you removed the ability of cav/siege to get terrain bonus it would help as well. Or gave them a +10 attack bonus but 10 less strength.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
giving cavs a terrain bonus is p wtf because its never existed other civ games

did someone gently caress up an operator sumwhere?

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Anti-cavalry just needs to be a lot stronger, to the point where they pose a serious threat even to cavalry units that are one era ahead of them.

Slow News Day fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Nov 10, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

twistedmentat posted:

The thing that burns me in this game is religion; if you don't found one, you cannot defend yourself from the AI civs spamming missionaries at you, and you cannot stave off an religious win without conventional war.

Either they need to enable you to close boarders to missionaries, or maybe give you an atheist unit. Some guy in a trenchcoat and fedora or something.

If you could close borders to missionaries a religious win would be entirely 100% impossible and they might as well take it out of the game.
Like I'm not saying you're wrong, it's annoying when you get spammed with missionaries and can't do anything about it but closing borders is too far.

ccubed
Jul 14, 2016

How's it hanging, brah?

enraged_camel posted:

Anti-cavalry just needs to be a lot stronger, to the point where they pose a serious threat even to cavalry units that are one era ahead of them.

From the sloppy and inaccurate description of the 2nd tier upgrade for anti-cavalry, this might have been a thing in planning. Square reads like a spear/pike/at-crew gets x2 combat strength with a support unit. However it seems to actually only get double the bonus from stuff like Flanking. Don't know if it can get double bonuses from things like Fortified. Regardless, that's some SERIOUS false advertisement.

Doubling things like flanking and fortifying would be something like +4ish or +6ish I think. Which seems in line with other promotions. It still really should be more clear (like ton of other things in Civ VI.)

Fryhtaning
Jul 21, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The thing that burns me in this game is religion; if you don't found one, you cannot defend yourself from the AI civs spamming missionaries at you, and you cannot stave off an religious win without conventional war.

Not entirely true. You can build holy sites, shrines, and temples without actually having a religion, which means you can buy missionaries and apostles. They match the religion of the city they're purchased in, so assuming you have one really annoying religion spammer you can build apostles (give them Debator to make them murderous assholes, or Martyr for free relics if they die) in one of your cities that's been converted to a less annoying religion and use them to fight off the spammer. It becomes a bit of a pain when trying to figure out which apostles are which religion ("why won't my apostle atta... oh, same religion") at times.

Or you can nicely ask the Civ to stop sending missionaries your way. Sometimes they actually listen.

But yeah, it's a lot easier if you have your own religion outright, since you likely still have your capital as your home religion for cranking out apostles and inquisitors.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Has anyone tried out MadDjinn's tech tree mod? It shifts around the positions of some techs without changing costs or anything and supposedly smooths things out while also making the AI actually upgrade their units and use mid-game military units. It's this one: http://civ6mods.com/2016/10/maddjinns-tech-tree-mod/

I'm curious if it really is any good before I install it, I guess.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Past prince I haven't been able to rush AIs down fast enough before they get a 2nd city out. I might not have the luxury of finishing them off because I have 2 other AIs declare war on me out of the blue (always so far.) And my god leaving an AI alive after taking their capital before turn 50 can be a pain in the rear end. You'd think they would be irrelevant, but then they raise the biggest army in the world.

When I had to fight Spain+Scythia I lost half my army to Tomryis' carpet of horses, but by that point I was churning out a new archer and spearmen nearly every turn. Scythia's UA is bullshit but horsemen seriously need nerfing, mounted units shouldn't get terrain defense bonuses. Meanwhile I killed every unit Spain sent with a single archer. Spain didn't have any horses; only warriors, slingers, and spearmen.

My greatest Great Zimbabwe wonder. Jesus christ internal trades making 22 GPT.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Sanctum posted:

Past prince I haven't been able to rush AIs down fast enough before they get a 2nd city out.

Well from Emperor onwards they start with 2 settlers anyway.

I find leaving an AI alive after you capture any city to be more harmful than good, anyway, unless you plan to give the city back (even then, it doesn't seem to actually refund the warmonger penalty like it claims to). If you "occupy" any of their cities they will hate you forever.

Harrow posted:

Has anyone tried out MadDjinn's tech tree mod? It shifts around the positions of some techs without changing costs or anything and supposedly smooths things out while also making the AI actually upgrade their units and use mid-game military units. It's this one: http://civ6mods.com/2016/10/maddjinns-tech-tree-mod/

I'm curious if it really is any good before I install it, I guess.

I like it. But I use a laundry list of mods so my view may be somewhat skewed: I use it alongside the 8 Ages of Pace mod (personally toned down the GP point cost scaling) and Combined AI (until AI+ is fixed). Those two tech tree mods combined have made the tech-to-production pace feel better to me, cutting down on "beelining" and making science and campuses more important.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Magil Zeal posted:

I find leaving an AI alive after you capture any city to be more harmful than good

Machiavelli approves.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Magil Zeal posted:

I find leaving an AI alive after you capture any city to be more harmful than good

I find leaving ANY AI alive after I start my murdertrain to be more harmful than good. Last game I had a tight continent with Greece to the west, France/Arabia to the north, and China to the far north. Arabia provoked me early so I rolled him with Archers/Horse, but out of laziness I decided to stop there and try to play a peaceful game (with France touching my new borders and all three of them hating my guts for being a warmonger). You can guess how long a 'peaceful' game lasted.

I don't think I've ever finished a game where I wasn't the only civ left alive on my continent.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Sanctum posted:

When I had to fight Spain+Scythia I lost half my army to Tomryis' carpet of horses, but by that point I was churning out a new archer and spearmen nearly every turn. Scythia's UA is bullshit but horsemen seriously need nerfing, mounted units shouldn't get terrain defense bonuses. Meanwhile I killed every unit Spain sent with a single archer. Spain didn't have any horses; only warriors, slingers, and spearmen.

Cavalry is good because every other unit is painfully slow. Even Mechanised Infantry! I just end up with an army of Tanks and Helicopters now, it's far less bother.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Fhqwhgads posted:

I find leaving ANY AI alive after I start my murdertrain to be more harmful than good. Last game I had a tight continent with Greece to the west, France/Arabia to the north, and China to the far north. Arabia provoked me early so I rolled him with Archers/Horse, but out of laziness I decided to stop there and try to play a peaceful game (with France touching my new borders and all three of them hating my guts for being a warmonger). You can guess how long a 'peaceful' game lasted.

I don't think I've ever finished a game where I wasn't the only civ left alive on my continent.

It's certainly possible if you can get a Holy War or Protectorate War Casus Belli, or they attack you in the classical age. Since I always go for an early religion, getting a Holy War casus belli usually isn't too hard.

It's not terribly reliable though. Montezuma was my ally in one particular game for a while, then backstabbed me a few turns after the alliance expired (I feel like a diplomatic alliance shouldn't have an expiration date like a DoF... it should need to be manually cancelled). Of course after I fought off his attack he eventually allied with me again, so Civ 6 AI at its finest! Post-game I nuked him a few times, amusingly nuking your ally doesn't cancel the alliance or even declare war.

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Neon Belly posted:

I'm pretty new to the whole Civ series (I played Civ2 way back in the day as a kid). Are there any streamers/let play folks that do good commentary on their gameplay, suitable for beginners learning?

No one?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

If I had to pick one, I think Marbozir has the best balance of entertainment and explaining the game. He also gets things wrong less than a lot of the others.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

The tutorial in Civ 6 is actually fairly good, although there's a ridiculous amount of stuff left out. (But it's a tutorial, not a thorough exploration of everything.)

Mondian
Apr 24, 2007

I know the AI is abysmal, but it really bugs me how they don't really react at all to nukes. Sure, Ghandi will like you for keeping a stockpile or even launching them, but nobody else seems to even notice. I had a game where Saladin was being a huge dick to me the entire game, so I launched about a dozen thermonuclear devices in one turn and irradiated every single tile he owned, dropping his global population from ~90 to <10. Just a complete genocide and it still took him a dozen turns to surrender. The turn after he did, two other suicidal civs declared war on me with an army of chariots and horsemen.

Just shamefully inept.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Mondian posted:

I know the AI is abysmal, but it really bugs me how they don't really react at all to nukes. Sure, Ghandi will like you for keeping a stockpile or even launching them, but nobody else seems to even notice. I had a game where Saladin was being a huge dick to me the entire game, so I launched about a dozen thermonuclear devices in one turn and irradiated every single tile he owned, dropping his global population from ~90 to <10. Just a complete genocide and it still took him a dozen turns to surrender. The turn after he did, two other suicidal civs declared war on me with an army of chariots and horsemen.

Just shamefully inept.

They need a "Max Max" era where if X number of nukes are launched all technology/units roll back.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

I am not sure if this is the kind of game where you can figure out how to play well by watching a video of someone else playing. Other than specific tactics in unit combat, any other action a player takes will probably produce results many, many turns later, so you can't really figure out why a certain tactic was good.

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I'm sure you could learn plenty from a video of a knowledgeable person. Streamers on Twitch might answer some questions but they aren't going to want to explain basic things over and over again as people ask the same questions. Check youtube first.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.
With 128 hrs and 77 cheevos I think I'm done with single player until the balance patch hits. Onwards to MP :hist101:.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Khagan posted:

With 128 hrs and 77 cheevos I think I'm done with single player until the balance patch hits. Onwards to MP :hist101:.

77? How many do you not have?

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Magil Zeal posted:

I like it. But I use a laundry list of mods so my view may be somewhat skewed: I use it alongside the 8 Ages of Pace mod (personally toned down the GP point cost scaling) and Combined AI (until AI+ is fixed). Those two tech tree mods combined have made the tech-to-production pace feel better to me, cutting down on "beelining" and making science and campuses more important.

What does Combined AI do? I'll probably start installing some rebalancing mods for my next game after I finish the one I'm on so I'm in the market for anything that improves the experience.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

prefect posted:

77? How many do you not have?

Well there's 100 achievements, so probably 23.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Khanstant posted:

Well there's 100 achievements, so probably 23.

I suppose I should have said "which" instead of "how many". My bad. :blush:

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

There are some luck-based cheevos that even if you're deliberately trying to get them, could possibly never happen, like making Crater Lake and Yosemite in to national parks in one game, or the one for Leonardo, Michaelangelo and Donatello all being in New York. Hurry and get your Immortal win before they make the AI even stronger, though!

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Efexeye posted:

There are some luck-based cheevos that even if you're deliberately trying to get them, could possibly never happen, like making Crater Lake and Yosemite in to national parks in one game, or the one for Leonardo, Michaelangelo and Donatello all being in New York. Hurry and get your Immortal win before they make the AI even stronger, though!

even stronger? are you being sarcastic? i just finished my last game as germany nuking loving spearmen. the closest civ tech wise was still an era behind me. this is by far the worst AI in civ so far.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

check out filthyrobot on youtube for general info on civs and their strengths/weaknesses.

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

Das Butterbrot posted:

even stronger? are you being sarcastic? i just finished my last game as germany nuking loving spearmen. the closest civ tech wise was still an era behind me. this is by far the worst AI in civ so far.

Just going by BE, V and IV. I didn't mean to imply that the AI is strong, just that they will probably patch it so Immortal is harder than it is now.

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

Efexeye posted:

Hurry and get your Immortal win before they make the AI even stronger, though!

Religion Only. Duel map. Kongo :smug:

wyoak
Feb 14, 2005

a glass case of emotion

Fallen Rib

Efexeye posted:

Hurry and get your Immortal win before they make the AI even stronger, though!
The one-turn Peter win will probably always work, or at the very least the duel vs Kongo

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

What's the one-turn Peter win?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Fhqwhgads posted:

Religion Only. Duel map. Kongo :smug:

So they found the religion, you can't found a religion, so you end up taking theirs. Doesn't that mean they win?

Edit: oh, you meant with Kongo as the opponent. Duh me. :downs:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Fhqwhgads posted:

What's the one-turn Peter win?

Peter gets a high score from settling his city since he gets a lot of free tiles. Play a game with a length of a single turn, settle your city, win a score victory.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Harrow posted:

What does Combined AI do? I'll probably start installing some rebalancing mods for my next game after I finish the one I'm on so I'm in the market for anything that improves the experience.

So far it seems to make the AI more aggressive later in the game and it has them expand harder. I see maps covered in AI cities in the midgame with Combined AI, as opposed to the weird expansion patterns of vanilla. It's hardly perfect, since the AI will still settle in nonsensical locations and the AI being aggressive late means you have to tolerate the silly "Joint Wars" that don't result in much fighting later in the game instead of just early game, but it's a small improvement to the AI in general. Mostly I'm trying it out to see if I like the experience, but I've only had a couple of games with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Thanks for the suggestions all! Want to get past winning by having the highest score at 500 gameplan :)