Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

We know who to blame when all the black characters have lower hitpoints and do less damage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Thor-Stryker posted:

I actually enjoyed the end of Legion's storyline. Gave me the feels.

They changed writers so it didn't really feel quite like the same Geth.

Extra Smooth Balls posted:

It was pretty amusing to taunt you about it though.

Oh I know. Start up a game and I spawn to three people shooting me point blank with sabers. TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK!

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Moola posted:

it might have something to do with the combat encounters actually being really boring

Literally ever mission is; start at X point, fight your way down a linear path to X ending, then you leave.

Maybe, it's always seemed like I peter out more after and outside of the combat areas for some reason though

I'm bored enough tonight to try again for a while though, I think. Just go on my first wander thru the Citadel (first time this playthrough attempt, rather) and see how I feel in an hour

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.
We may not get Reapers but I hope we get Leviathans. Or whatever the alien race that created the Reapers was called.

also it's impossible not to read "The Reapers" in Mark Meer's voice.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Either that or Bolo Santosi from Just Cause 2. "De Ree-pahs".

runaway dog
Dec 11, 2005

I rarely go into the field, motherfucker.

Doc Morbid posted:

Either that or Bolo Santosi from Just Cause 2. "De Ree-pahs".

I don't remember a single thing about that game that wasn't grappling cars to helicopters and going ham.

edit: don't get me wrong, they're good memories.

runaway dog fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Nov 10, 2016

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The thing I remember most about JC2 other than being a flying Angel of Destruction is that the developers have a surprisingly good grasp of the Malay language and South-East Asian accents.

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Flo' Ryder (Feat. PeeBee): Hyperion (Andromeda Mix)

4/5 stars
Sick beats, but some of the lyrics seems coy and crowd-pleasing.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Trast posted:

Oh I know. Start up a game and I spawn to three people shooting me point blank with sabers. TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK TA-CHUNK!

They really did not seem to remember how the Geth were supposed to work beyond bog standard, Pinocchio robots.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

4000 Dollar Suit posted:

Or Marina Sirtis. "And one step closer to the return of the Reapers :effort:"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The person who wrote the new tie-in book, NK Jemisin is actually a really good author. She won a Hugo last year for her novel The Fifth Season.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

I also prefer Mass Effect 2 EDI

much more interesting than sexy Data

Enigmatic Cakelord
Jun 16, 2006

ASARI EYEBROWS

Moola posted:

That was the same writer as well, Chris L'Etoile. He wrote, Thane, Legion and EDI for ME2 and Ashley in ME1.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Moola posted:

i like how ME3 cheapened the relationship between joker and EDI by making her a sexy robot

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Milky Moor posted:

i like how ME3 cheapened the relationship between joker and EDI by making her a sexy robot

Should have had edi climb into a geth platform and gone from there.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

totally, the way their relationship grew over ME2 was subtle and interesting

Then they gave her massive robo-tits and ughhhh

marshmallow creep posted:

Geth body with EDIs little hologram thing for a head would have been rad

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

would've made more sense than introducing a hitherto unknown brand of humanoid robot

i'd also ramble about how dumb it is that sci-fi does the whole 'aliens/robots are just people' thing when they also do the 'but you can only really love them if they're sexy' thing

but ultimately, edi and joker as portrayed in ME2 just worked a lot better than ME3. same as the geth. it's no surprise that they were both done by l'etoile because he seemed to really want to approach the idea of synthetic life from a more nuanced perspective than doing a pair of pinocchio stories.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

Moola posted:

totally, the way their relationship grew over ME2 was subtle and interesting

Then they gave her massive robo-tits and ughhhh

bingo. it was a neat way of demonstrating that edi was basically a person but could also be counted on to work as a loyal member of the crew, just like everyone else. i think it was neat that she was the ship and joker had always been attached to the normandy to the extent that he was prepared to die with it in the intro sequence. and i think when one of the people in the relationship has a crippling case of boneitis, you really don't need to have a sexy physical aspect to it. the pair of them obviously deeply care for and respect each other, which is more than enough. it'd be like if the ai in her, samantha, got a sexy robot body. it's just cheap and it shunts love into lust.

when people said that edi was going to get a cerberus body, i assumed it was going to be like the robots we had seen. like, edi in a YMIR mech or something. something that gave her a bit of physicality but still maintained the weirdness of EDI being a computer program.

but then she got this one-off robot body design that is so incredibly boring and fan-servicey that they even left on the modelled cameltoe of the miranda model they based the robot design off.

they could have at least fully committed to the terminator idea and made her more obviously mechanical and industrial given that they basically borrowed the classic 'explosion burns all the flesh off the robot' scene during the climax of the mars chase

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Coincidentally, Andromeda was also a Gene Roddenberry TV show where the titular ship has an AI who designed itself a sexy female avatar in both on-screen interface and robotic body form.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
And isn't the sexy robot banging the engineer too?

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
I just realied that I never even completed the Citadel DLC way back when. I remember doing the part in the apartment, but I was pretty burnt out with the game by that point and never picked it back up again. I should probably get on that.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I'm sure the game will be good, but I wasn't particularly overwhelmed by the trailer. I think there's a danger that the setting of "desolate and mysterious frontier" will be less compelling than thriving space society. I hope they have a big and interesting Citadel like hub area on some giant ship that offers a change of pace and a sense of an existing world.

Not that small crew bounces from planet to planet will be terrible, but it's a well-trodden path, and runs the risk of getting a little staid over a game as long as a ME title inevitably is.

Hope the VA stuff is good. Female Shepard really carried the role off crazy well, can't be understated how big an impact in terms of immersion/enjoyment that was in the first trilogy. And I hope we get lots of freaky alien buddies, because they are the best, always.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

the good fax machine posted:

I just realied that I never even completed the Citadel DLC way back when. I remember doing the part in the apartment, but I was pretty burnt out with the game by that point and never picked it back up again. I should probably get on that.
Just getting the apartment and not doing all the crazy poo poo that comes afterwards? Yeah, do get on that because it starts getting real fun real quick.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

I want this game to be good but unfortunately I think it will probably not be good. The most reassuring info I've read about Andromeda so far is that their multiplayer is just straight-out copying ME3.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

exquisite tea posted:

I want this game to be good but unfortunately I think it will probably not be good. The most reassuring info I've read about Andromeda so far is that their multiplayer is just straight-out copying ME3.

Actually I don't remember if they said multi will be class based or not.

Edit: okay they say they have "tank" characters and prestiging a tank makes other tanks tankier, so that suggests class types.

marshmallow creep fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 10, 2016

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Actually I don't remember if they said multi will be class based or not.

Edit: okay they say they have "tank" characters and prestiging a tank makes other tanks tankier, so that suggests class types.

They could carbon copy the old classes/characters or try grouping them like Overwatch does.

Sarmhan
Nov 1, 2011

I'd imagine it'll be limited abilities like ME3MP. You could have more characters with one ability from each domain though.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
shame, I'd rather have a classless character I could fully customize for multiplayer too

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It makes it a lot easier to Discern the Pubby when there are standard classes though which was pretty important in the early days of Platinum

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
yeah I understand

I hope theres more customization in the multiplayer this time; I'd like some perks and stuff

El Mido
Feb 22, 2011
The gear and consumable boosters and were pretty much a perk system without the caveat of having to balance them like perks because they were technically finite.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Moola posted:

yeah I understand

I hope theres more customization in the multiplayer this time; I'd like some perks and stuff

In the later updates they had some really interesting mixes of things like the Turian Vanguard.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

moist turtleneck posted:

It makes it a lot easier to Discern the Pubby when there are standard classes though which was pretty important in the early days of Platinum

As I recall a few of the default classes were pretty good even in platinum.

The default weapons however were garbage.

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.

The MSJ posted:

Coincidentally, Andromeda was also a Gene Roddenberry TV show where the titular ship has an AI who designed itself a sexy female avatar in both on-screen interface and robotic body form.

Ah I can only hope that Mass Effect reaches the same levels of intelligence and subtle social commentary as that show

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

hobbesmaster posted:

As I recall a few of the default classes were pretty good even in platinum.

The default weapons however were garbage.

A lot of platinum came down to teamwork and quality of gear. A vanilla adept did fine in platinum because they were great for causing combos with another player. I might be wrong but the vanilla vanguard might have been too squishy for platinum compared to the krogan or batarian.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Trast posted:

In the later updates they had some really interesting mixes of things like the Turian Vanguard.

hell yeah she was cool

I have over 400 hours in ME3 mp... :negative:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
It was more knowing what power upgrades people picked because some were Good and some were Awful and that was important when teamwork is key (also some powers straight up didn't work or work as described so you knew if they were bad based on that)

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Trast posted:

A lot of platinum came down to teamwork and quality of gear. A vanilla adept did fine in platinum because they were great for causing combos with another player. I might be wrong but the vanilla vanguard might have been too squishy for platinum compared to the krogan or batarian.

Vanguards always had the problem of their primary ability being one bad choice away from a wave-ruining sync kill

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

Vanguards always had the problem of their primary ability being one bad choice away from a wave-ruining sync kill

Sync kills were the loving worst. The game was tense enough on high levels without that hand wavey bullshit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Trast posted:

Turian vanguard was like nightcrawler and wolverine (claws AND healing factor!) had a turian baby. She fuckin ruled.

Pattonesque posted:

Totally worth it for using gear on a volus vanguard that let you warp-shoulder-check into dudes then immediately sucker punch them in the dick.
EDIT: Here we go
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPvHpE-kKZE

sudonim fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 10, 2016