Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Trast posted:

Sync kills were the loving worst. The game was tense enough on high levels without that hand wavey bullshit.

yeah getting close to a high-level enemy should be risky but the risk shouldn't be "at random times you will automatically die with no warning or ability to avoid it"

they should just smack you real hard or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Pattonesque posted:

yeah getting close to a high-level enemy should be risky but the risk shouldn't be "at random times you will automatically die with no warning or ability to avoid it"

they should just smack you real hard or something

The Banshees would use their sync kill constantly. Brutes and Atlas units seemed to do it at a much more reasonable pace. You'd have to really tempt fate with them to get their sync kill to fire. But with a Banshee just being near one triggered the granny hug of death.

Majestic
Mar 19, 2004

Don't listen to us!

We're fuckwits!!
Banshees would only sync kill in one of two modes though. They had their warping mode and their shooting mode, and only one had sync kills enabled. Once you knew that it wasn't so bad.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Trast posted:

The Banshees would use their sync kill constantly. Brutes and Atlas units seemed to do it at a much more reasonable pace. You'd have to really tempt fate with them to get their sync kill to fire. But with a Banshee just being near one triggered the granny hug of death.

the phantoms were the worst because sometimes they'd just run straight through a million bullets and stab you

at least banshees were a bit predictable

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

Trast posted:

Yeah the fact they could warp through walls right on top of you followed by immediate death was BS. At least with the big meaty enemies & cerberus lady ninjas you kinda felt like it was your own fault for getting in their faces.

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Majestic posted:

Banshees would only sync kill in one of two modes though. They had their warping mode and their shooting mode, and only one had sync kills enabled. Once you knew that it wasn't so bad.
Or abusing the ramp/stairs thing. I loved repeatedly face tanking a banshee on some stairs, only to have a pubbie try it on flat ground and get murdered :laugh:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
There was also the cool thing where phantoms were way harder to kill if you were the host

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I loved tossing the geth scanner on a phoenix and just smashing through the walls.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5c9sdu/im_joe_juba_the_writer_of_game_informers_mass/

GameInformer AMA on Andromeda:

"So, here's the thing about other races: 4 specifically came to Andromeda on the Arks (Turian, Salarian, Human, Asari). However, the Nexus (which is kind of like Andromeda's version of the Citadel) was sent ahead of the Arks, and the Nexus had a more varied staff.
I don't know specifically which other races (apart from Krogan) got to Andromeda via the Nexus, but theoretically, it could be any of them.
At the same time, because this is the fresh start for the series, I don't think the team wants to overwhelm players with a bunch of weirdo aliens, so don't expect ALL of them to show up. If I had to bet, I'd say Quarians will be there. I wouldn't be so confident in C-tier species like Vorcha, Batarians, etc..."

more than that in the link, but that's kinda interesting

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

Oh man how could I forget the phantoms? They were so damned annoying.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Trast posted:

Oh man how could I forget the phantoms? They were so damned annoying.

They're no Banshees, but they are much more obnoxious than most enemies.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/IAmA/comments/5c9sdu/im_joe_juba_the_writer_of_game_informers_mass/

GameInformer AMA on Andromeda:

"So, here's the thing about other races: 4 specifically came to Andromeda on the Arks (Turian, Salarian, Human, Asari). However, the Nexus (which is kind of like Andromeda's version of the Citadel) was sent ahead of the Arks, and the Nexus had a more varied staff.
I don't know specifically which other races (apart from Krogan) got to Andromeda via the Nexus, but theoretically, it could be any of them.
At the same time, because this is the fresh start for the series, I don't think the team wants to overwhelm players with a bunch of weirdo aliens, so don't expect ALL of them to show up. If I had to bet, I'd say Quarians will be there. I wouldn't be so confident in C-tier species like Vorcha, Batarians, etc..."

more than that in the link, but that's kinda interesting

Hopefully the Batarians come along so they can get genocided in a whole new galaxy.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Geostomp posted:

They're no Banshees, but they are much more obnoxious than most enemies.

They had an obnoxiously powerful pistol they used at range but you could manage them with explosives or ranged biotics. The Falcon rifle got outclasses and nerfed a lot but it was wonderful for applying ammo powers and knocking back phantoms.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

Chexoid posted:

Ah I can only hope that Mass Effect reaches the same levels of intelligence and subtle social commentary as that show

Hey, Andromeda had a lot of promise, but a mid-stream change in writing staff and a decision to move from longer, deeper story-arcs to faster, flashier action-oriented episodes...

Huh, sounds just like the Mass Effect trilogy, doesn't it?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
from the AMA

Q: i guess that the visual and narrative are similar to the previous Mass Effects, but, what is the first big difference you notice?

A: That's actually a really tricky question. Chronologically speaking, I don't know what the first big difference is that players will notice.
But, from a broader perspective, the biggest change I noticed was the drive toward more player-guided exploration.
Like, you know how doing side content in previous games always felt a little silly, because the world was basically ending and you were sitting there scanning for minerals or chilling in a dance club? In Andromeda, part of your directive is just "Explore and find a place where people can live." That's a pretty wide narrative pathway that means pretty much anything you choose to do is contributing your ultimate goal.
So you can do whatever seems fun to you – mining, crafting, loyalty missions, even entire optional planets – and all of it is part of your mission.
Of course, I'm sure Ryder faces some sort of threat, too. It's not just "My Andromeda Vacation," but the team at BioWare really seems to be focusing on the sense of discovery first and foremost.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

So how many new Alien races are there going to be? Or are there just going to be one or two with the majority of the aliens in the game being races we've already seen?

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Fried Watermelon posted:

So how many new Alien races are there going to be? Or are there just going to be one or two with the majority of the aliens in the game being races we've already seen?

I counted at least two in the trailer -- those rocky Kett dudes and the guy with the basketball hoop crown

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

quote:

At the same time, because this is the fresh start for the series, I don't think the team wants to overwhelm players with a bunch of weirdo aliens

THE CYCLE REPEATS ITSELF MORE TIMES THAN YOU CAN FATHOM

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Pattonesque posted:

from the AMA

Q: i guess that the visual and narrative are similar to the previous Mass Effects, but, what is the first big difference you notice?

A: That's actually a really tricky question. Chronologically speaking, I don't know what the first big difference is that players will notice.
But, from a broader perspective, the biggest change I noticed was the drive toward more player-guided exploration.
Like, you know how doing side content in previous games always felt a little silly, because the world was basically ending and you were sitting there scanning for minerals or chilling in a dance club? In Andromeda, part of your directive is just "Explore and find a place where people can live." That's a pretty wide narrative pathway that means pretty much anything you choose to do is contributing your ultimate goal.
So you can do whatever seems fun to you – mining, crafting, loyalty missions, even entire optional planets – and all of it is part of your mission.
Of course, I'm sure Ryder faces some sort of threat, too. It's not just "My Andromeda Vacation," but the team at BioWare really seems to be focusing on the sense of discovery first and foremost.

Sweet, it's mass effect: skyrim

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Mymla posted:

Sweet, it's mass effect: skyrim

I am okay with this.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Mass Effect movie looking good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNrK7xVG3PM

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Majestic posted:

Yes it was. It was still so bad.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

I'm guessing the writers are going into this with the assumption there will be sequels. That is one thing that really seemed to gently caress up the first three games. Mass Effect One is a big sensation and the writers can't come up with anything so they squat over a galaxy map and out plops Cerberus and Jesus Shepard.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

Oh cool I was wondering when Xenoblade X would get a sequel.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo

Trast posted:

I'm guessing the writers are going into this with the assumption there will be sequels. That is one thing that really seemed to gently caress up the first three games. Mass Effect One is a big sensation and the writers can't come up with anything so they squat over a galaxy map and out plops Cerberus and Jesus Shepard.

Yes but Mass Effect 2 owned sooo

Dr. Abysmal
Feb 17, 2010

We're all doomed

Pattonesque posted:

I don't think the team wants to overwhelm players with a bunch of weirdo aliens

They should, because the weirdo aliens are cool.

the good fax machine
Feb 26, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Please, not too many weirdo aliens in my game about exploring the galaxy and punching weirdo aliens.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
So when the Reapers invade the Milky Way and steal the plans for the Andromeda Initiative, will they send a ship to pursue them to another Galaxy? They've already established that the Reapers are extremely fast moving through Dark Space, so they could probably catch up in the 600 year time span.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Trast posted:

They had an obnoxiously powerful pistol they used at range but you could manage them with explosives or ranged biotics. The Falcon rifle got outclasses and nerfed a lot but it was wonderful for applying ammo powers and knocking back phantoms.

The acolyte pistol crushes phantoms.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

So when the Reapers invade the Milky Way and steal the plans for the Andromeda Initiative, will they send a ship to pursue them to another Galaxy? They've already established that the Reapers are extremely fast moving through Dark Space, so they could probably catch up in the 600 year time span.

The idea that the Reapers stuck to one galaxy always seemed limited in scope to me. That being said with the way the Reapers ended up I'll gladly leave them behind story wise.

the good fax machine posted:

Yes but Mass Effect 2 owned sooo

I loved ME2 but you could have easily had the same story without Cerberus. "No one on the council believed me. I'm going to assemble my own team, the best of the best. We'll get the job done ourselves or die trying." You could have had Liara as the Shadow Broker feeding the Normandy team info and the Shadow Broker DLC being the big reveal.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

The acolyte pistol crushes phantoms.

Yeah once that was introduced it made breaking them down much easier.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are they still going to do Paragon/Renegade? I hope they leave that as Shepard's 'thing' and give Ryder a different dichotomy. Kirk/Spock or something.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Trast posted:

I think it's pretty clear that EA basically slapped Bioware around and told them to resuscitate the franchise by any means necessary after the debacle of ME3.

It's how we end up with such a weird idea for a sequel that invites questions like:

Arcsquad12 posted:

imagine dungeons
Jan 24, 2008

Like an arrow, I was only passing through.
I would be very surprised to see the Reapers in any way but a nod to the past. Also, there probably has to be some defined limit on the Reapers purview because there is an entire universe out there.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Games > ME45: I'm so loving sick of these reapers

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The Reapers will not pursue the Andromeda initiative because they were all destroyed, controlled, or synthesized.

The Lone Badger posted:

Are they still going to do Paragon/Renegade? I hope they leave that as Shepard's 'thing' and give Ryder a different dichotomy. Kirk/Spock or something.

Paragon/Renegade system is out.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Games > ME45: I'm so loving sick of these reapers

In Mass Effect 14, the Reapers and the Milky Way races will decide to settle their differences with a friendly kart racing tournament.

In Mass Effect 26, the Reapers will challenge the Milky Way to track and field events at the Johannesburg 2024 summer Olympics

Ages
Feb 20, 2005

Its just half the puffin juice and the puffin lives and doesnt mind. I promise!
Fun Shoe

Hedrigall posted:

In Mass Effect 14, the Reapers and the Milky Way races will decide to settle their differences with a friendly kart racing tournament.

In Mass Effect 26, the Reapers will challenge the Milky Way to track and field events at the Johannesburg 2024 summer Olympics

Which Mass Effect will we get a Reaper squadmate?

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Ages posted:

Which Mass Effect will we get a Reaper squadmate?

It will be a baby Reaper the size of the Normandy and we will fly it.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

I think it's pretty clear that EA basically slapped Bioware around and told them to resuscitate the franchise by any means necessary after the debacle of ME3.

It's how we end up with such a weird idea for a sequel that invites questions like:

Sending an massive exhibition to another galaxy isn't that unusual a story in sci-fi. They've even had a few Star Trek pilots written with that in mind. If you look at the Mass Effect universe as being pretty much explored and populated trying to find a new place to fill up makes sense. Story wise it lets them make up a lot of new stuff while bringing enough familiar elements to keep people comfortable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

homullus posted:

It will be a baby Reaper the size of the Normandy and we will fly it.

One more step closer to being Farscape.

God I want a Farscape/Mass Effect type game.