Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Bart, I saw you post a couple pages back about making a trip to my neck of the woods, did that already happen? If you haven't yet and wear out your welcome in Paso come down and visit me in Slo!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.

get that OUT of my face posted:

Well, gently caress.
https://twitter.com/cookingwithdog/status/795281612736843776
I've been fearing this for a while since Francis has spent more time napping and lying down over the past year or so, as well as the fact that it's a 9 year old YouTube channel. I guess the fact that a video wasn't uploaded Friday prepared me for the worst. I'm not shocked but I am sad.

Now I really gotta make that garlic steak that will forever be the last recipe with Francis (I highly doubt this is gonna be the end of the channel, since it didn't when Chef was in that horrific bike accident, plus there's the 1 million+ subscribers).

I was convincing myself it would never happen :( I kind of hope they retire the channel or at least have Chef start her own show

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016

Well, gently caress.
I've been fearing this for a while since Francis has spent more time napping and lying down over the past year or so, as well as the fact that it's a 9 year old YouTube channel. I guess the fact that a video wasn't uploaded Friday prepared me for the worst. I'm not shocked but I am sad.

Now I really gotta make that garlic steak that will forever be the last recipe with Francis (I highly doubt this is gonna be the end of the channel, since it didn't when Chef was in that horrific bike accident, plus there's the 1 million+ subscribers).

Well poo poo. I only started watching last year, so I didn't realize how long this was going on. Good dog, may he rest in peace.

I'll have to make some oyakodon in his honor this weekend.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hey, when are we doing Something Offal Secret Santa?

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Oh drat yeah!!! I have lots of time to cook this year ;)

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

Well, gently caress.

2016 really is the worst year. :(

pile of brown posted:

Bart, I saw you post a couple pages back about making a trip to my neck of the woods, did that already happen? If you haven't yet and wear out your welcome in Paso come down and visit me in Slo!

I was in Paso through the 3rd, then went down to Buellton, then Anaheim, then San Diego. Got back to Vegas Tuesday afternoon. Maybe next time - I loved Paso enough I have go to back. First I have to pay off all the wine I bought though.

Hot tip: The Hatch, newly opened in downtown Paso, is pretty amazing. Best bone marrow dish I've had in a long time, great small plates in general, and an excellent cocktail program. Also Barrelhouse Brewery lives in the shadow of Firestone Walker and should get more recognition because their everything is fantastic.

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hey, when are we doing Something Offal Secret Santa?

I'll try to get a thread together this week. We're already a little late for the Euro contingent, but maybe we can make it work.

Happy Hat
Aug 11, 2008

He just wants someone to shake his corks, is that too much to ask??
Oh hello there!

I will be in NY next week and be vegan with dino while waving an american flag and playing the star-spangled-banner on kazoo. I will do this in honor of gws.

Kind regards

Happy Hat

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
I'm glad you're still with us, Happy Hat.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Mr. Wiggles posted:

I'm glad you're still with us, Happy Hat.

Yep.

bartlebee
Nov 5, 2008
I'm not a frequent commenter but damned if that post doesn't bring me some joy.

bartlebee fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Nov 11, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Tried slow cooking some country-style ribs tonight. Holy crap, was that a mistake. They're dry and awful.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Pollyanna posted:

Tried slow cooking some country-style ribs tonight. Holy crap, was that a mistake. They're dry and awful.

I don't know how you could gently caress up country style ribs, that's a new one. I guess if you just put them dry in an oven at like 250 for 4 hours sure, that would be pretty horrible.

best way to do them is to smoke them for an hour or so, and then texas crutch'em for another hour or two. they end up perfect. if you're looking for barbecue, anyways.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
Yeah I braise them in the oven slow and low at 200* for about 4 or 5 hours. Use the braising liquid as the base for the BBQ sauce.

Edit: I make a boat for the braising liquid. I didn't know that was called a texas crutch, thanks mindphlux.

Croatoan fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Nov 11, 2016

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Happy Hat posted:

Oh hello there!

I will be in NY next week and be vegan with dino while waving an american flag and playing the star-spangled-banner on kazoo. I will do this in honor of gws.

Kind regards

Happy Hat

Happy Hat 2020. Make America Nordic Again.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

bartolimu
Nov 25, 2002

There is not nearly enough room on that cheese plate for cheese. At least make the saucer section big enough for 4-5 samples.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It is disrespectful to both Star Trek and cheese.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
and knives, and forks, and crackers

and gently caress it, wood too

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.
gently caress you, 2016. First you take Bowie. Now you take that goddamned adorable poodle. This is a road too far.

Also, I'm kind of happy to see Chris Kimball leave. He was the most annoying part of ATK. I kiiiiind of get the folksy everyman he was supposed to play. Unfortunately, he came off like a douche most of the time. And gently caress that stupid bowtie.

Also, the review on the tortilla warmer. "It doesn't match my white on white kitchen." Girl. Talk about truth in advertising.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Bought a couple cast iron pans. Lodges, polished smooth, from an Etsy store.

I know a lot of goons are nutso in love with cast iron. Just want to cast my vote here and say: Jesus loving Christ these pans are a pain in the rear end. gently caress this.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
You're doing it wrong

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

theres a will theres moe posted:

Bought a couple cast iron pans. Lodges, polished smooth, from an Etsy store.

I know a lot of goons are nutso in love with cast iron. Just want to cast my vote here and say: Jesus loving Christ these pans are a pain in the rear end. gently caress this.

It's about how you season them first. After that care is a snap.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Yeah I guess I used too much oil the first time, so I brilloed the gently caress out of them and retried just barely dampening them. They're still all hosed up. I hate them. I did a lot of research and have dedicated like four entire evenings to these goddamn pans and seriously gently caress them.

Also I would highly recommend not buying the cast iron grill pan with the raised grate things because I don't care what anybody says, that thing is literally impossible to clean.

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
The best thing to do with cast iron is just use it a lot. Given some time and patience, it will be the best pan in your kitchen. I have two that I keep on my stove top - an 8 inch for eggs and such and a 14 inch as my regular. They're basically all I use unless I'm using my wok.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

theres a will theres moe posted:

Also I would highly recommend not buying the cast iron grill pan with the raised grate things because I don't care what anybody says, that thing is literally impossible to clean.

On the plus side you can't ruin them, just scour it and try again. Wiggles is right, just use it a lot. Not for eggs and other sticky stuff at first.

What did you get anyway? Leave the stupid ridged pan and focus on the one(s) you'll actually use every day.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

sweat poteto posted:

On the plus side you can't ruin them, just scour it and try again. Wiggles is right, just use it a lot. Not for eggs and other sticky stuff at first.

What did you get anyway? Leave the stupid ridged pan and focus on the one(s) you'll actually use every day.

I got one each 10.25" and 8" hand-polished Lodge round fry pans. I would link to themt, but it looks like the etsy shop from which I puchased is gone. It took a long time for them to be delivered; maybe the guy got tired of making them.

Here is a pic of one freshly-delivered. I put the apple in there to showcase the finish.

The grill pan was purchased prior and it a regular square lodge.

I'll keep cooking with them, as you guys are suggesting.

vvv thanks for the advice. I have read about flaxseed oil, but I've also read that flaxseed oil leaves a finish that isn't durable. I've been using regular cooking fats on the stove and then after washing with salt and hot water, dry it on the stove, hit it with a super thin layer of safflower and throw it in the oven on like 475F. They're better than they were unseasoned, but they are a bit mottled-looking (some say this is good, some bad) so IDK, I'll keep messing with it. If they get horrible I'll just restart again.

theres a will theres moe fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 13, 2016

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
If you want to be :science: you can buy a specific oil and go through an extensive process to get a fantastic initial season on them, which will help a lot, but if you don't you can wipe them with a very very small amount of vegetable oil or coconut oil or a similar oil (though olive oil and butter generally don't work as well) and season them in the oven that way too. If even that's too much effort, just cook bacon and other fatty meats in them over and over again, and they will get better, though they'll probably never get as truly easy to use and enjoyable as if you had gone out of your way to season them. I'm of the opinion that they really are worth it though if you're willing to put in the initial effort. Take the time to do a couple rounds of seasoning on a day off or over several evenings, then just use them to cook bacon or sear and baste meat for a while. Always make sure to rinse them out with hot water and wipe them clean (if your season is good soap isn't a problem either, it isn't going to break down the layer of polymerized oils that make up the seasoning). Always keep them dry. Eventually, start branching out and cooking other things in them, and enjoy the fact that they can handle basically anything you throw at them.

30 Goddamned Dicks
Sep 8, 2010

I will leave you to flounder in your cesspool of primeval soup, you sad, lonely, little cowards.
Fun Shoe
Ok for cast iron, get a chain mail scrubber. Changed my stance on cast iron completely- I haaaate the mess that salt plus oil makes when cleaning and of course I didn't want to scrub them with soap. Hot water and a chain mail scrubber will get everything off of the pan and then you can dry it off on the stove top.

Love it love it love it!

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

30 Goddamned Dicks posted:

Ok for cast iron, get a chain mail scrubber. Changed my stance on cast iron completely- I haaaate the mess that salt plus oil makes when cleaning and of course I didn't want to scrub them with soap. Hot water and a chain mail scrubber will get everything off of the pan and then you can dry it off on the stove top.

Love it love it love it!

Just ordered one. Thanks for the tip!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah toss the grill pan, they are worthless. I don't really think you need flaxseed oil or to try to season it with bacon. Bacon always has too much sugar in it for building up your seasoning.

I use safflower oil for all high temp cooking and seasoning of my wok and cast iron.

How much was that etsy store charging for a polished lodge pan? Makes me wonder if its worth trying to do for extra income

OBAMNA PHONE fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Nov 14, 2016

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime
Mine are mottled and ugly, even after several years. I don't care - they work.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my lodge cast iron has always performed well. I got a carbon steel pan though and wanted to seaon it well, so I did the whole flaxseed thing and reseasoned my lodge stuff at the same time.

my pans are like 0 effort to cook in and clean. I cooked eggs, bacon, and lamb in my carbon steel today, and 0 sticking, and the pan cleaned in 10 seconds each time under running water with a kitchen brush.

I'm more enamoured with the carbon steel than with the cast iron fwiw

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

Leave the stupid ridged pan and focus on the one(s) you'll actually use every day.

Heh. I just bought one of those stupid pans yesterday. :)

It was $20 at CostCo, and it came with a silicone handle and plastic scraper.

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
I was given the grill pan as a gift but never use it. It seemed ok for things like corn on the cob but meh.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Seems like it would be harder to get that perfect patina like my other cast iron has...

I bought because the Mrs. has a non-stick grill pan, but I never use it because you can't get it all that hot.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

BraveUlysses posted:

Yeah toss the grill pan, they are worthless. I don't really think you need flaxseed oil or to try to season it with bacon. Bacon always has too much sugar in it for building up your seasoning.

I use safflower oil for all high temp cooking and seasoning of my wok and cast iron.

How much was that etsy store charging for a polished lodge pan? Makes me wonder if its worth trying to do for extra income

I paid $35 for the 10.25" and $30 for the 8". I personally think these prices were probably too low, but I don't know how much the guy was paying for the pans or how much time it takes to polish one. I would have been willing to pay $60 and $50, respectively, probably, but I don't know of any other source.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Hello yes I have my seasonal "The Cool Weather Is Here Your Sinuses Hate You" attack. What's a nice spicy soup I can make? I'm looking for something a bit different from my ghetto pho spicy broth, which is just strong stock, onion, and allspice, anise, ginger, garlic, and hot peppers, then I dump it over a bowl of spinach and add noodles, sesame oil, and chili oil if it needs it. I love it, but i'm looking for something new. Is there a horseradish or wasabi soup maybe?

edit: Anyone ever made this: http://easteuropeanfood.about.com/od/polishsoups/r/Polish-Horseradish-Soup-Recipe-Zupa-Chrzanowa.htm I like anything that says 'Garnish with 12 slices of crispy bacon or saffron threads'.

\/\/ Agh, and I don't eat kimchee. But now might be the time to try again because it's always the smell that bothers me, and I cant use my nose now \/\/\/

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Nov 15, 2016

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Suspect Bucket posted:

Hello yes I have my seasonal "The Cool Weather Is Here Your Sinuses Hate You" attack. What's a nice spicy soup I can make? I'm looking for something a bit different from my ghetto pho spicy broth, which is just strong stock, onion, and allspice, anise, ginger, garlic, and hot peppers, then I dump it over a bowl of spinach and add noodles, sesame oil, and chili oil if it needs it. I love it, but i'm looking for something new. Is there a horseradish or wasabi soup maybe?

Kimchi jjigae.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Went out to dinner tonight with my boss while we're both here in Detroit for work. Hit up a New Orleans style restaurant whose menu looked good. I got the chicken jambalaya and it was suuuuuper disappointing. I'm in love with andouille and if I did a blind taste test, I would have bet that what they served was a chopped up hot dog. No spice, and springy as a mofo. The peppers and onions were cooked to within an inch of their lives, and the rice was mushy.

Literally the best part of the meal was the single piece of salmon sashimi I got as an amuse bouche, because this place does sushi too for some reason? Even that wasn't the best, but it was better than the jambalaya. What a letdown.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

New Orleans and sushi in Detroit? What could go wrong?