Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

KildarX posted:

So I keep seeing two depictions of vikings, one is fearsome top tier warriors who ran about stealing and taking from whoever, another is annoying vagabonds who basically just stole from unprotected areas of your kingdom, so you pay them off because you'd rather not spend the time or effort to deal with them. Where on this scale are they, or are both wrong and are something different?

Both are true. You could also buy things from them, sell them stuff, go on exploratory ocean voyages with them, or hire them to guard you and your palace.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Both are true. You could also buy things from them, sell them stuff, go on exploratory ocean voyages with them, or hire them to guard you and your palace.

Stop making me want expeditions: Viking.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

sounds like a versatile npc class, let's add them to the next campaign

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

If you think about it, it makes sense that vikings wouldn't attack fortified areas. Can you imagine trying to haul siege equipment around in those boats? It'd ruin their schtick of showing up, pillaging whatever they can, and skedaddling before a countering force can be mustered to take them out like the waterborne equivalent of horse nomads.

What seems weird to me is how they seem to crop up all of a sudden out of nowhere. Was the technology to make naval raids like that just recently developed? Were they there all along and just never bothered with Roman territories while the empire was strong and just picked on Germans up to that point?

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
The time Vikings went Crusading is an amazing epic story that I'm surprised is not a series of movies.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_Crusade

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

SlothfulCobra posted:

What seems weird to me is how they seem to crop up all of a sudden out of nowhere. Was the technology to make naval raids like that just recently developed? Were they there all along and just never bothered with Roman territories while the empire was strong and just picked on Germans up to that point?

There's a bunch of theories about why the Viking expansion started....shifting of trade routes, too many angry young men with nothing better to do, retaliation against Christian expansion, a lack of food in Scandinavia, and so on, but as far as I'm aware every major theory has a pretty big hole in it and there isn't anything like a consensus except for "who knows".

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Germanic peoples had gone sea-raiding before, that's how you get Anglo-Saxons in Britain.

pthighs
Jun 21, 2013

Pillbug

Mycroft Holmes posted:

Does anyone have any information on what WWI would have looked like (combat plans, technology, politics, etc.) had WWI continued into 1919?

It would have looked a lot like this:

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

pthighs posted:

It's... it's beautiful.

turn it up TURN ME ON
Mar 19, 2012

In the Grim Darkness of the Future, there is only war.

...and delicious ice cream.

HEY GAL posted:

sounds like a versatile npc class, let's add them to the next campaign

Hey so I bet you've answered this before but I can't find the post. My wife and I were talking about your research and she was asking just how you are managing to do most of it, since I think the people in your time period weren't particularly literate. How are you managing to find data and stories?

Additionally, for the rest of the thread: What was the biggest killer of Soviet troopers during WW2? Germans? The cold? And I was having a hard time articulating why the information available on "blocking regiments" is mostly bullshit.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Hey so I bet you've answered this before but I can't find the post. My wife and I were talking about your research and she was asking just how you are managing to do most of it, since I think the people in your time period weren't particularly literate. How are you managing to find data and stories?
1. like other historians of the common people, i read lots of trial documents. when a trial happens, what is said within the trial gets written down as it's being said but so do all the witness statements and a statement from the accused. the guys may not be literate but the legal authorities definitely are.

2. soldiers might be less illiterate than people think. after all, if you're away from your company overnight you technically need a travel pass, and when you leave you need a pass to prove you served and that you left on good terms. This is also the society where if a court case ends in your favor you get a "court ticket" that says you're an honorable person , etc etc. Members of the Mansfeld Regiment also got reciepts written by the regimental secretary if one guy lent another money.

I've read about these guys carrying wads of paper with them all the time. And think about it, it makes sense, doesn't it? Everything in a traditional society depends on reputation and word of mouth. But these guys are constantly mobile, how can you do that if you're going to be in a different company six months from now? Surely even if they can't read they're in contact with texts every drat day.

In fact, I was just going through three months worth of payrolls for the Saxon Hoffahne. This is a prestigious unit, the Elector's "court company." But even so, there's a surprisingly high level of literacy: averaging up three months' entries, 79.96% of officers and troopers signed for themselves, and only 19.3% of entries were either blank or signed by someone other than the subject of the entry. One man made his mark for a total non-signing percentage of 19.85% (This may not indicate that 19.85% of the troopers were illiterate, since some of the non-signers may have been absent).

That's almost eighty percent of these guys who can not only read, they can write too. And not only print, but cursive.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 10, 2016

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

KildarX posted:

So I keep seeing two depictions of vikings, one is fearsome top tier warriors who ran about stealing and taking from whoever, another is annoying vagabonds who basically just stole from unprotected areas of your kingdom, so you pay them off because you'd rather not spend the time or effort to deal with them. Where on this scale are they, or are both wrong and are something different?

There's also "people who decided to move into the unprotected areas of your kingdom because they liked the look of the place."

Denmark is the couch surfing 34 year old "friend" of history.

hire them to guard you and your palace.

Your byzantine palace.

Yes Byzantium had vikings guarding the Emperor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 10, 2016

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

HEY GAL posted:

In fact, I was just going through three months worth of payrolls for the Saxon Hoffahne. This is a prestigious unit, the Elector's "court company." But even so, there's a surprisingly high level of literacy: averaging up three months' entries, 79.96% of officers and troopers signed for themselves, and only 19.3% of entries were either blank or signed by someone other than the subject of the entry.

What about the last 0.74% of entries?

HEY GAL posted:

One man made his mark for a total non-signing percentage of 19.85% (This may not indicate that 19.85% of the troopers were illiterate, since some of the non-signers may have been absent).

I'm feeling dumb, but I'm not sure what this means.

HEY GAL posted:

That's almost eighty percent of these guys who can not only read, they can write too. And not only print, but cursive.

Hell, that's better than me.

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

The time Vikings went Crusading is an amazing epic story that I'm surprised is not a series of movies.

If there's one thing I've learned from this thread is that there are so many things in history that could be made into awesome movies.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Elyv posted:

What about the last 0.74% of entries?
I forgot to put in the guy who made his mark rather than left it blank. Sorry!

quote:

I'm feeling dumb, but I'm not sure what this means.
If a dude has a blank space where his signature should be/his friend signs for him, is he illiterate or gone?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.

HEY GAL posted:

I dunno about that. This is still way higher literacy than I was expecting, either way, but keep in mind being able to write your name doesn't necessarily mean functional literacy. It's relatively straightforward to memorize how to make the strokes for a single thing.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

pthighs posted:

EX-TER-MIN-ATE!!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Koramei posted:

I dunno about that. This is still way higher literacy than I was expecting, either way, but keep in mind being able to write your name doesn't necessarily mean functional literacy. It's relatively straightforward to memorize how to make the strokes for a single thing.
writing cursive means knowing how to work the pen too, without spattering or skipping or spilling ink everywhere

JcDent
May 13, 2013

Give me a rifle, one round, and point me at Berlin!

xthetenth posted:

Stop making me want expeditions: Viking.

So I take it Expeditions: Conquistador is a good game?

:stwoon:

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

JcDent posted:

So I take it Expeditions: Conquistador is a good game?

Yeah I'm a fan. Very good tactical combat system for a party rpg with solid management and interesting questlines covering an interesting time and place.

Plus Conquistadora the explorer still makes me laugh.

Ensign Expendable
Nov 11, 2008

Lager beer is proof that god loves us
Pillbug

turn it up TURN ME ON posted:

Additionally, for the rest of the thread: What was the biggest killer of Soviet troopers during WW2? Germans? The cold? And I was having a hard time articulating why the information available on "blocking regiments" is mostly bullshit.

From Krivosheev:
Killed or died from wounds during evacuation: 5,226,800
Died from wounds in hospitals: 1,102,800
MIA: 620,700
Noncombat losses (disease, accidents, executions): 555,500
of those, Executed: 135,000

Information on "blocking regiments" is bullshit because Hollywood decided to perpetuate the myths sown by books written by German officers after the war.

Ensign Expendable fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Nov 10, 2016

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

HEY GAL posted:

writing cursive means knowing how to work the pen too, without spattering or skipping or spilling ink everywhere

It also shows that it's a skill you've bothered to cultivate. Anyone can "make his mark" and scraw something to show that he looked at a document, but actually consistently making legible letters is something that takes abit more than just knowing that two lines, a circle, and a half circle in the right order makes the word "cat."

Koramei posted:

It's absolutely true that there is a wide space between what Internet People in TYOOL 2016 consider literacy and being able to sign your name, but functional literacy for someone who isn't a scribe or scholar is also a much, much lower bar than people presume.

Think of it this way: How literate is your average second grader? They can read basic things, write sentences, etc, but no one would consider them fully literate in the 20th C.

Now imagine how much your average random dude could accomplish with 2nd grade literacy in Hegal's dudes' context. Even just being able to scrawl a three line letter to your buddy apologizing for that time you got drunk and shot his horse out your window is enough for some 21st century historian to put you in her dissertation.

THEN stagger that line of thought along a little further and imagine how many people know someone who is capable of writing a letter for them or reading one they got. Access to others who are literate is just as much a concept you have to track as actual literacy itself.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Ensign Expendable posted:

From Krivosheev:
Killed or died from wounds during evacuation: 5,226,800
Died from wounds in hospitals: 1,102,800
MIA: 620,700
Noncombat losses (disease, accidents, executions): 555,500
of those, Executed: 135,000

Information on "blocking regiments" is bullshit because Hollywood decided to perpetuate the myths sown by books written by German officers after the war.

Jesus loving christ 135k executions is pretty nuts.

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Because tomorrow is a holiday, they had our rememberance day ceremony today. It was fine, though in the end we were supposed to sing two songs: "Ode to Newfoundland" and "God Save the Queen." Now, most people there knew the tune of the ode, but basically nobody knew the words. This is because either due to age or the poet who wrote it, the song uses a lot of 'thees' and 'thys' etc that are kinda incomprehensible.

Then God Save the Queen. Nobody knew the words for that one. The priest officiated knew them, everybody else just hummed.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

It's the national anthem of the UK and nobody here knows it either.

Just sing the sex pistols in tune with the original.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

HEY GAL posted:

I've read about these guys carrying wads of paper with them all the time. And think about it, it makes sense, doesn't it? Everything in a traditional society depends on reputation and word of mouth. But these guys are constantly mobile, how can you do that if you're going to be in a different company six months from now? Surely even if they can't read they're in contact with texts every drat day.

The implication here seems to be that moving guys around long-range because of war partly led to the decline of traditional states and the rise of bureaucracy and literacy in its place, or am I reading too much into this?

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Sort of but not in the way you are thinking. There is a long debated chicken and egg relationship with bureaucratic management and modern military structures. Literate soldiers using those skills as part of the way they determine and preform their social status is more of a product of the world that all that is part of rather than a cause.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

I thought it was somewhat commonly held that it was new, larger fortifications that drove the need for larger armies, which drove a need for more centralization and bureaucracy in order to generate the huge amount of income needed to field those armies.

Splode
Jun 18, 2013

put some clothes on you little freak

PittTheElder posted:

I thought it was somewhat commonly held that it was new, larger fortifications that drove the need for larger armies, which drove a need for more centralization and bureaucracy in order to generate the huge amount of income needed to field those armies.

But surely larger fortifications are only possible with more centralization and bureaucracy?

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Neat! I don't see why this has to be a chicken and egg thing. This seems like a self-reinforcing system, then. A small scaling up of military leads to corresponding scaling up of centralized bureaucracy ,which allows further scaling up of the military....

A couple weeks ago I asked if someone could give an outline of the military of the Khazars, and a poster here said they would get back to me. If they wouldn't mind, I'm still very interested.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There was an explosion of literacy in that era in general, especially with the printing press helping things along. In a roundabout way, it was responsible for the whole war to begin with.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

PittTheElder posted:

One of the main reasons that drove Sweden to a more centralized state with larger bureaucracy was that they had lost a war against Denmark and had to pay massive reparations in silver, and couldn't raise the money with their old system.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Because tomorrow is a holiday, they had our rememberance day ceremony today. It was fine, though in the end we were supposed to sing two songs: "Ode to Newfoundland" and "God Save the Queen." Now, most people there knew the tune of the ode, but basically nobody knew the words. This is because either due to age or the poet who wrote it, the song uses a lot of 'thees' and 'thys' etc that are kinda incomprehensible.

Then God Save the Queen. Nobody knew the words for that one. The priest officiated knew them, everybody else just hummed.

On ev'ryyyyyyyyyyy mountainside, let's clean 'till spring!

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.
So I'm on the final chapter of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I need more awesome ww2 material. What should I read next? This is the only historical work I've ever read so anything else is new to me.

My dad suggested Killing Patton and I'm more than a little skeptical of Bill Oreilly's veracity on the subject.... I want the good stuff!

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Finster Dexter posted:

So I'm on the final chapter of Rise and Fall of the Third Reich. I need more awesome ww2 material. What should I read next? This is the only historical work I've ever read so anything else is new to me.

My dad suggested Killing Patton and I'm more than a little skeptical of Bill Oreilly's veracity on the subject.... I want the good stuff!

Have not read it, but Shattered Sword tends to get a lot of praise in thread.

echopapa
Jun 2, 2005

El Presidente smiles upon this thread.
I picked up Kokoda by Peter Fitzsimons for my dad. It’s a popular history of the New Guinea campaign, which saw Australians and Japanese fighting in some of the harshest terrain on earth.

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Finster Dexter posted:

Wages of Destruction is all around excellent.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

KildarX posted:

Viking as a concept was made up by a nationalist Danish librarian who needed a unifying mythical stereotype of a strong, fearless and capable scandinavian(we usually bat 1 of 3, in reality :denmark: ), and so it's really quite ridiculous when historians talk of vikings.

Closer to a sensible term is the "viking age", which is the period where norsemen went raiding and conquering, and usually goes from 8th century to mid 11th century. Generally, the "annoying hobo" phase came first, in which fast-moving longboat raids pillaged any non-fortified settlement and left before a response could be formed, and later, realizing the internal division plaguing most other realms, the large conquests movements, such as invasion of England by the Great Heathen Army( Ivar Boneless, Halfdan and Ubbe) of 855( I think).

OwlFancier posted:

Your byzantine palace.

Yes Byzantium had vikings guarding the Emperor.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varangian_Guard

Hagia Sofia is a pro milhist visit, if only for the "Halftan did this" norwegian futhark graffiti on the southern balcony.

bewbies posted:

There's a bunch of theories about why the Viking expansion started....shifting of trade routes, too many angry young men with nothing better to do, retaliation against Christian expansion, a lack of food in Scandinavia, and so on, but as far as I'm aware every major theory has a pretty big hole in it and there isn't anything like a consensus except for "who knows".

Newer theories point to retaliation for christian missions or perhaps fallout from the Saxon wars being more likely, but in truth, it's really hard to say anything for certain. I believe it's confirmed that working land in Denmark and Norway was extremely hard, though, and there definitely was a motivation to conquer arable land.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Finster Dexter posted:

The same dude published a diary of his time in Germany in the run up to the war, you might find that interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Finster Dexter posted:

Hubris and Nemesis, imo