Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Droo posted:

If his retirement accounts are all mutual funds, like most accounts, the trades only process once per day. So even if he did it last night, it probably didn't trade until the close today.

His wife can probably put stuff back in now, miss whatever tomorrow's performance ends up being, and be fine. I'll go ahead and predict that tomorrow Trump appoints Sarah Palin as defense secretary and his favorite sock as secretary of state, so they could end up ahead of the game.

Yeah, he likely had all day to cancel the order. And re-buying now would only mean losing whatever tomorrow's change is (probably negligible in the long term) assuming there aren't any penalties for that in the fund plan.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

Moneyball posted:

Feet stomping sore losers are ruining it for people who legitimately want to move to there, Canada, Australia etc.

Same goes for Trump supporters if Hilldawg took it.

Nah I think the opposite of people fleeing to Canada would have been Trump supporters building bunkers in the desert in the Southwest and declaring it sovereign territory or something. No taxes though, can't beat that!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Inept posted:

Nah I think the opposite of people fleeing to Canada would have been Trump supporters building bunkers in the desert in the Southwest and declaring it sovereign territory or something bombing federal facilities because the government is clearly illegitimate and only they can restore "freedom". No taxes though, can't beat that!

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Inept posted:

Nah I think the opposite of people fleeing to Canada would have been Trump supporters building bunkers in the desert in the Southwest and declaring it sovereign territory or something. No taxes though, can't beat that!

When right-wing Americans lose an election, they have no-where to dream of fleeing, because the only places more right-wing than America are poo poo holes.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

Droo posted:

If his retirement accounts are all mutual funds, like most accounts, the trades only process once per day. So even if he did it last night, it probably didn't trade until the close today.

His wife can probably put stuff back in now, miss whatever tomorrow's performance ends up being, and be fine. I'll go ahead and predict that tomorrow Trump appoints Sarah Palin as defense secretary and his favorite sock as secretary of state, so they could end up ahead of the game.

Unless "liquidated" in this context is literal, and now the entire balance of the accounts (minus penalties and withholding) is sitting in a checking account. In which case the guy responded to a Trump win in the most appropriate way possible: by making an irreversible move with disastrous financial consequences for no good reason.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Considering that anti-Trump supporters are currently rioting in the streets of your American cities, I don't think you have to fear Trump's supporters, at least for the here and now.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Sic Semper Goon posted:

Considering that anti-Trump supporters are currently rioting in the streets of your American cities, I don't think you have to fear Trump's supporters, at least for the here and now.

A protest is not the same as a riot.

Dogcow
Jun 21, 2005

Eldred posted:

A protest is not the same as a riot.

A handy guide:

If the protestors are white it's a heroic patriotic revolution.

If the protestors are not white it's a riot.

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Hey yo, anybody got any stories of people bad with money?

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006
Derails are what make this thread. There's nothing else to talk about other than the same posters in the same subreddit with the same problems. How many times can you hear about horses and still find it interesting?

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

crazypeltast52 posted:

Also has water unlike Australia I assume?

We have water and have a low likelihood of a direct attack with nuclear weapons. In fact the low likelihood of a nuclear strike is because the US removed the city I live in from the target list.

If you do want to move here coming in as a tourist to check out New Zealand is worthwhile to see if you like the lifestyle. Then have a look at trademe.co.nz property section to check out rents and our high house prices. Xero have said they will take in US refugees so if you have relevant accounting or programming skills then there are potential jobs for you.

e: It's bad with money to buy a house in NZ right now.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

Devian666 posted:

relevant accounting skills then there are potential jobs for you.

Sweet. I no longer need to go, but I'll keep that in mind.

unbuttonedclone
Dec 30, 2008
I overheard a snippet while walking the dog yesterday. A man and woman were on the porch, and she said something like "That's not a work truck.. Why did you buy a $50,000 truck?" And it went on from there, but I couldn't hear it but it sounded like it was BWM.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
My co-worker is fleeing to Canada because of Trump.

His partner is Canadian and he's been trying to convince him to move for awhile. But yeah, Trump was the breaking point.

Of course he's also a network engineer who used to work for NASA. He has valuable job skills that a MILLENNIAL :argh: 10 credits shy of their liberal arts degree and a job brewing coffee at Starbucks doesn't have. And he's essentially a war bride, so it's easier to get one of those 300k yearly spots.

The BWM part? He's moving to Vancouver.

potatoducks
Jan 26, 2006

Moneyball posted:

Sweet. I no longer need to go, but I'll keep that in mind.

Hahaha. You've awkwardly inserted your pro-Trump sentiments into like 4 posts in the last two pages. It's fine man. Good for you. Nobody is taking the bait.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

potatoducks posted:

Derails are what make this thread. There's nothing else to talk about other than the same posters in the same subreddit with the same problems. How many times can you hear about horses and still find it interesting?

I too believe that conversation should end until we find new crumbs on Reddit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Like I'm not even mad at trump voters anymore at this point, I just hope that all of Trump and Pence and Congress' dumbass ideas get implemented quickly and to their fullest, dumbest extent and y'all can fully experience the absolute garbage heap you have willingly thrown yourselves into.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

ate all the Oreos posted:

Like I'm not even mad at trump voters anymore at this point, I just hope that all of Trump and Pence and Congress' dumbass ideas get implemented quickly and to their fullest, dumbest extent and y'all can fully experience the absolute garbage heap you have willingly thrown yourselves into.

Logic isn't their strong point. When Trump drives the economy into recession, the blame will fall squarely on the shoulders of the liberals and immigrants.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.

Krispy Kareem posted:

His partner is Canadian and he's been trying to convince him to move for awhile. But yeah, Trump was the breaking point.

Of course he's also a network engineer who used to work for NASA. He has valuable job skills that a MILLENNIAL :argh: 10 credits shy of their liberal arts degree and a job brewing coffee at Starbucks doesn't have. And he's essentially a war bride, so it's easier to get one of those 300k yearly spots.

To be fair, Vancouver is the only part of Canada where it doesn't get insanely cold in the winter. If you're coming from a costal or southern US city the weather would be a major shock if you moved to Toronto or Montreal.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Konstantin posted:

To be fair, Vancouver is the only part of Canada where it doesn't get insanely cold in the winter. If you're coming from a costal or southern US city the weather would be a major shock if you moved to Toronto or Montreal.

Yeah, the weather will be closer to the Southeast than Toronto, but those housing prices.

The guy's going from a nice intown home with a pool to real estate hell with whole neighborhoods full of empty Chinese financial hedges.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

potatoducks posted:

Hahaha. You've awkwardly inserted your pro-Trump sentiments into like 4 posts in the last two pages. It's fine man. Good for you. Nobody is taking the bait.

Just having a good time and waiting for new BWM. There's been a lull.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Krispy Kareem posted:

I wonder if he'll have to pay the tax on Chinese foreign investors if they buy property together.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Krispy Kareem posted:

empty Chinese financial hedges.

Successfully exercising adverse possession: B(est)WM

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Here, have something that's not about the election:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/5c9qyz/i_have_2_master_degrees_and_havent_been_able_to/ posted:

I have 2 master degrees and haven't been able to find a job for the past 12 months. I don't know what I'm doing wrong. (self.personalfinance)

I have a masters in math and one in finance, both from state schools. Finished both with 4.0s. I did my undergrad at a "public ivy," but only got a 2.75 there. I was happy with my scholastic performance turnaround and only applied for competitive jobs at the beginning of my job search. As time has passed, I've been applying to anything and everything. I've been living off of a small inheritance, but that money is almost gone. I've recently applied to be a teller at a bank and at a local Target - no interview for either.

I have two decent internships under my belt which I did during my last degree program. I'm 31 and apart from those, I have no relevant work experience. What do I need to do differently?

EDIT: I don't know anyone who works in any field that I have an interest in.
Got two masters' degrees, didn't network at all in the fields they were interested in, mysteriously can't find a job.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

How can someone not find a decent job with masters degrees in math and finance? Even without networking.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Moneyball posted:

How can someone not find a decent job with masters degrees in math and finance? Even without networking.

Either he's incredibly offputting in interviews, or he lives and is exclusively looking in a severely economically depressed area, or both.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Twerk from Home posted:

Either he's incredibly offputting in interviews, or he lives and is exclusively looking in a severely economically depressed area, or both.

Past employment record as well. If he got shitcanned for embezzling funds, probably won't get another finance job anytime soon.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Twerk from Home posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULqAIbjCsXE

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Oh my god this agonizing. Make the pain stop, please, oh please.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
That cringe interview is the best.

I had my own cringe interview at the age of 18. I applied to bus tables at a restaurant, and when I turned in the application a manager came and met me.

He said "Hey before I read this or do anything, I always ask applicants one thing: why should I hire you?"

I stammered out something like "uhm, well because I really need this job" :downs:

That was not the right answer. He didn't call me back.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

canyoneer posted:

That cringe interview is the best.

I had my own cringe interview at the age of 18. I applied to bus tables at a restaurant, and when I turned in the application a manager came and met me.

He said "Hey before I read this or do anything, I always ask applicants one thing: why should I hire you?"

I stammered out something like "uhm, well because I really need this job" :downs:

It's not the right answer but it is certainly the most truthful. I am willing to perform services in exchange for currency

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

Space Gopher posted:

Unless "liquidated" in this context is literal, and now the entire balance of the accounts (minus penalties and withholding) is sitting in a checking account. In which case the guy responded to a Trump win in the most appropriate way possible: by making an irreversible move with disastrous financial consequences for no good reason.

You know...I wasn't sure myself tbh. I called her today to see how she was doing, and asked her for more info.

Apparently he did actually liquidate and sent to a bank acct.

Sigh.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

canyoneer posted:

"I enjoy answering stupid questions with obvious answers."

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

Disco Salmon posted:

You know...I wasn't sure myself tbh. I called her today to see how she was doing, and asked her for more info.

Apparently he did actually liquidate and sent to a bank acct.

Sigh.

Thank him for helping reduce our public debt because of the tax he'll have to pay. :911:

What the guy could do is immediately roll it over into an IRA (and make up the withholding) meaning he won't pay any tax for early withdrawal. Clock is ticking.

Switchback
Jul 23, 2001

Moneyball posted:

Just having a good time and waiting for new BWM. There's been a lull.

You too could find content!

potatoducks posted:

FOREVER. Why we should be eating horses I stead of riding them

Here is some clickbait for everyone (key info below so you don't have to actually go there)

quote:

Lil Wayne owes $1 million for private jet flights.

Tyga already owes the taxman $100,000 in unpaid taxes. The thing that really got the attention of the IRS was that Tyga imported sand from Egypt to use in his clothing store.

Busta Rhymes owes $800,000 in back taxes.

Sean Kingston bought a jet ski (which he crashed and almost died), two luxury cars that cost a combined $1 million and diamonds that he hardly ever wore. The jeweler that sold him the diamonds wasn't too happy that the seven checks that Kingston wrote them all bounced. Kingston still owes $200,000 for the jewels, and he might not have that much left now that his cars have been repossessed.

So many rappers not paying their taxes. Lil Kim, Method Man, Ja Rule, Xzibit, owed a million dollars or more.

Scarface did 10 months in jail for owing $120,000 in child support.

Jermain Dupri isn't in trouble yet but he got a $5 million loan to save his label by putting his house, record label and recording studio as collateral.

MC Hammer had $30 million in assets repossessed.

Fat Joe did 4 months in jail for his $700,00 bill to the IRS. He's not so fat (or relevant) anymore.

Nas owed the IRS $6 million in back taxes even before he got divorced.
A judge ruled that Nas had to pay $300,000 to Kelis (his ex-wife, singer of Milkshake) for alimony. Since he was already $6 million in the hole, he couldn't afford to do it.

Remember that one song that just kept saying "Money in the bank, I got money in the bank"? That classic tune was made by Swizz Beatz. Apparently, the song was a bit of a stretch as Beatz went bankrupt due to, well, not having money in the bank. He owed $2.5 million to the IRS.

Lil Flip was arrested just a couple of years after his one big hit for credit card fraud.

Lauryn Hill owed $2.5 million to the IRS and was sentenced to 3 months in prison.

quote:

Damon Dash in "Big Pimpin" poured bottles of Cristal over models on his private yacht. Damon Dash in real life? MC Hammer-ish. The former Roc mogul who once bragged about his butler and private chef may soon be forced to declare bankruptcy. Ready? Here we go: Dash's lawyer dropped him for failing to pay bills, his SUV was seized after he failed to pay the $700 monthly bill, the bank foreclosed on two of his condos after he failed to pay his mortage, he owes $2 million in taxes to the state of New York, he's being sued for failing to pay rent on two Manhattan offices, and he's fighting off suits from a design company and security company whom both say Dash never paid them for their work. If there was ever a time to go crawling back to Jay, this is it.

Switchback fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 11, 2016

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Switchback posted:

Here is some clickbait for everyone (key info below so you don't have to actually go there)

Where's my 50 cent puns? :argh:

Randler
Jan 3, 2013

ACER ET VEHEMENS BONAVIS
I'm kinda stunned at how a single human can owe 6 million in taxes to the IRS without getting his poo poo confiscated and auctioned off to the highest bidder way earlier.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
BWM is taking a check for $200K in diamonds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sepherothic
Feb 8, 2003

monster on a stick posted:

BWM is taking a check for $200K in diamonds.

Most luxury jewelers who sell these diamonds to rappers essentially just lease them. Rapper pays upfront for the labor to make your custom mickeymouse drinking lean necklace, rapper wears it for a month and then stops making payments. Jeweler repossesses the item, strips out the gems and melts down the silver, and the circle of life continues.

I'm sure the few times they can't repossess the chains are made up in the wash.

• Locked thread