Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

quote:

-Fixes in firewood chopping exploit
Oh wow, they actually did it in a slightly cleverer way than I would have thought. I was expecting they just shored up the telefraging trick with the fork, but they also addressed my favorite method of using the firewood itself to chop more firewood. You can only spawn logs while holding the axe now ensuring you need to set down and pick up the axe every time you've got enough firewood that makes spawning new logs problematic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The gear indicator thing is really loving handy.

Also, just got my twin carbs, gonna order the new headers and exhaust parts next and then the rad.

Humbug
Dec 3, 2006
Bogus
I finally managed to win the rally.

I got lucky with the opponents time though. I've seen 1. places in the mid 4 minute range, which I'm not sure is possible to beat. Still pretty pleased. Did it without ever going to the mechanic as well. Car was mostly stripped, and had all the go fast bits.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
I still can't get the mechanic to do anything with my car, I've waited a week and it's still in the driveway unchanged.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
What were you trying to get done?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

SEKCobra posted:

I still can't get the mechanic to do anything with my car, I've waited a week and it's still in the driveway unchanged.

Yeah unless you are paying to fix the body the car is always going to look the same. You order from his desk paper and then the next day it should be done assuming it's a weekday. If he has his paper back on the desk then he is done with your car. If the paper is still gone he hasn't fixed your car yet.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
The game needs female player character option so that when you take the car to the mechanic, he goes "*sucks air through teeth* this is gonna cost you love."

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

That'll make it harder to piss out the window of a speeding septic truck, but I'm up to the challenge.

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan

Harminoff posted:

New patch is out!

Make sure you check your hood bolts for sure, three of mine were undone. Also half my keybindings were messed up.

The hitchhiker's thumb is hilariously deformed looking!

texasmed
May 27, 2004
This game owns. It's special how it just drops you into the kitchen at the start with an exploded car, but there seems to be so much detail to the amount of poo poo you can do.

It's impressive how much you can learn about how a car works by playing computer games. I think learning the Car Mechanic Simulator series helped me out a lot before playing this.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008

Oops. Well looks like a good enough position to install a handbrake.

edit:

I guess this works too! What a stupid game. I shouldn't be sinking so much time into this...

Colonel J fucked around with this message at 06:25 on Nov 10, 2016

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

As someone who worked on older cars a long time ago I gotta say it bothers that you dont do any turning of the distributor for the timing. I remember doing this way too much on my old 350 rocket.

Anybody relate?

Kemper Boyd
Aug 6, 2007

no kings, no gods, no masters but a comfy chair and no socks

Slim Killington posted:

The vehicle inspection consists of a mechanic randomly stabbing the undercarriage with a screwdriver. Amazing.

That's how Finnish vehicle inspectors check if your piece of poo poo car is too rusted through to pass inspection.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

KakerMix posted:

Yeah unless you are paying to fix the body the car is always going to look the same. You order from his desk paper and then the next day it should be done assuming it's a weekday. If he has his paper back on the desk then he is done with your car. If the paper is still gone he hasn't fixed your car yet.

No paper on his desk, nope.

hatesfreedom
Feb 20, 2007

I make a profit of three and a quarter cents an egg by selling them for four and a quarter cents an egg to the people in Malta I buy them from for seven cents an egg. Of course, I don't make the profit. The syndicate makes the profit. And everybody has a share.
I drive to the shop to pick up a new games essentials: motor oil, fan balt, coolant, sausages, milk, beer, gasoline, diesel. Flush with my shopping bags I take the van for an easy drive home on the highway.

Rear ended by techno viking, spiral into tree, grusome death.

Repeat early list.

Front end collision with car passing a truck in oncoming lane.

Repeat earlier list

Drove van around the lake, arrived safety. gently caress the highway. gently caress the van.

Went to sewage job to get spending money. Fell in sewage pit.

I tried using the tractor to raise the car, but it was just easier to wait until the car had wheels on and then just push it into the garage to use the pit access.

Probably one of my favorite odd games of the year.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

hatesfreedom posted:

Repeat early list.

Mine went something like:

- Save up money before ever finishing car to get all the performance accessories
- Get last item I need, start car build
- Takes forever, worth it
- Drive to inspector, fails because of performance items
- Drive all the way back and remove them
- Drive back to inspector
- Fails again because of wheels

Apparently performance wheels aren't up to standards. They weren't even the slicks! At that point I took a break for a few days.

Now I keep the jack and the wrench set in the trunk.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

SEKCobra posted:

No paper on his desk, nope.

Are your days progressing? I don't recall seeing that the bug was fixed or not. Used to be you could get stuck on the same day of the week if you didn't quit at the right time.

JointHorse
Feb 7, 2005

Lusus naturæ et exaltabitur cor eius.

Yams Fan
I noticed that too. Did the save-load thing to skip the nights, but the weekday was stuck on Tuesday. It finally switched to Wednesday when I slept through the night, so it might be that sleeping is the only way to advance days properly.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

JointHorse posted:

I noticed that too. Did the save-load thing to skip the nights, but the weekday was stuck on Tuesday. It finally switched to Wednesday when I slept through the night, so it might be that sleeping is the only way to advance days properly.

This is the case, yeah. Sleeping is the only way to move to the next day.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

I got drunk IRL yesterday and was driving like a champ in this game. I think thats the key.

I also had a dream last night that I bought an engine block and some pistons for a van. For some reason I was worried about how hard it would be to get the old wiring harness out of the old van.

Ive never owned or worked on a van. This game has bled into my psyche.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

I believe I am now no longer in the presence of nice people.

The car actually runs for me! Except it ran for a few seconds and then... this.

Is this a simple fix or

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

Well there is that sledgehammer.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

widespread posted:

The car actually runs for me! Except it ran for a few seconds and then... this.

Is this a simple fix or

You didn't bolt the back of the engine in, did you?

Mine wiggled the engine up out of the bay over the fender, after shooting the half shafts from the sides.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

PopeOnARope posted:

You didn't bolt the back of the engine in, did you?

Mine wiggled the engine up out of the bay over the fender, after shooting the half shafts from the sides.

I remember doing so. But I'll have to make sure before I start again. I get the feeling there's more bolts to tighten when it comes to engine-to-car connections.

Edit: Actually there's two front bolts. Now I get the squealing everyone else gets.

Edit 2: Squealing stopped. Now to figure out how to get this thing actually moving. And maybe figure out how to reverse.

widespread fucked around with this message at 23:06 on Nov 10, 2016

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

im never driving the van again

the cops pull me over and i wasnt even going 80 because its a loving death trap

then it looses traction and rolls over on the highway

never again

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
foreign MSC fans might appreciate this Rube Goldberg contraption even if it's from a later era.

Remote sauna:
When you call to the cell, it rumbles down the slide made of a cut plastic bottle, knocking over a bbq stick holding up an ice fishing skimmer which is attached to the oven's timer and loaded with ball bearings. This makes the timer turn clockwise until the bearings drop off, at which point the ice hockey puck acting as a counterweight lets the timer tick back.

HATECUBE
Mar 2, 2007

i was just going to leave the van there

got all the way to the store in the shitter to pick up my parts, the excuast barely fit

got to the van for my deisel can, the exhaust box clips out of the cab and shoots across the highway

grab it, killed by a car

uninstalled

Davoren
Aug 14, 2003

The devil you say!

You have to Finnish what you started.

PopeOnARope
Jul 23, 2007

Hey! Quit touching my junk!

widespread posted:

I remember doing so. But I'll have to make sure before I start again. I get the feeling there's more bolts to tighten when it comes to engine-to-car connections.

Edit: Actually there's two front bolts. Now I get the squealing everyone else gets.

Edit 2: Squealing stopped. Now to figure out how to get this thing actually moving. And maybe figure out how to reverse.

Ah, there we go!

I was getting the squealing, if I choked to the right level and pumped the throttle I could start the car, roll it back and forward, then it'd die. I tried giving it a few ginger revs with the choke all the way out, only to have a piston vanish into the stratosphere.

Downloaded a save as I wanted to see what it's like. Made the highway, got up to 140, and suddenly the loving thing dies. Can't start it. Got out, and watched a few Saabs rear end it, before technoviking front ended the car sending panels and parts everywhere.

Alright then.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

HATECUBE posted:

im never driving the van again

the cops pull me over and i wasnt even going 80 because its a loving death trap

then it looses traction and rolls over on the highway

never again

The police checkpoint is only ever in one spot and is easy to avoid:

just take a left at the end of your driveway, a right to get the the highway and go left on the highway. Its the long way to the store but its a super easy drive.

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

After not able to move the Satsuma despite going into different gears, I waited until I got five sewage jobs. After the first, I did the age-old "just drag the hose behind you" thing. I might have lost it? Or does it disappear after a full tank.

JB50
Feb 13, 2008

widespread posted:

After not able to move the Satsuma despite going into different gears, I waited until I got five sewage jobs. After the first, I did the age-old "just drag the hose behind you" thing. I might have lost it? Or does it disappear after a full tank.

Sometimes it snaps off and falls off into the septic tank. If you save and reload it will be back on the truck.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I stole the muscle car by towing it away with my septic truck but the steering gets insanely sensitive. I tried to adjust those little sliders in the controls but I think it only went the wrong way and I can't fricking figure how to click them the right way!!

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
It's just impossible to drive on the dirt roads at any reasonable speed.

My headlights on the datsun no longer work, and despite doing a full list repair at the mechanic, they still don't work. What?

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
I was driving on the highway though and for just pushing my joystick a little the wheel turns a lot.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Steering wheel animations never seem to match up very well in driving games when using a controller/keyboard. That being said though try and drive in 2nd gear. I couldn't drive that car at all, it was like driving on an ice rink. Someone suggested driving in 2nd and that seemed to make it handle a hell of a lot better.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think he just made that car drive very terribly. It makes no sense for it to get such bad speed wobbles at 60mph (I assume that car is in mph).

widespread
Aug 5, 2013

Welp, said gently caress immortality and decided to go PERMADEATH. Also learned the value of driving a van at breakneck speeds on the shoreline.

Now, before I even touch the car, should I just go right to the upgraded poo poo? Or should I make the car run first before upgrading. I'm thinking upgrading first since it might be pain in rear end in a top hat to replace most of the replaceable poo poo.

JB50 posted:

Sometimes it snaps off and falls off into the septic tank. If you save and reload it will be back on the truck.

So I should not be lazy if I have, say, five septic jobs all the way to the gas station?

StarkRavingMad
Sep 27, 2001

Yams Fan
The replaceable stuff is pretty easy to swap on after the engine's built. No reason to wait on finishing the car while you save up for those parts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Build the car stock first. You can't pass the inspection with upgraded parts. You can't take part in the rally without an inspection. Once you pass the inspection, upgrade everything.

• Locked thread