Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
feller
Jul 5, 2006

It's still EU4, not so not very steep?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Ol Marsh Pussy
Jan 7, 2007

PittTheElder posted:

I'm assuming your current legitimacy is zero then? If so, yes, the new guys legitimacy will almost certainly be weak.

They changed it so that if you have lovely legitimacy you can't just just snap back to 100 every time your monarch changes. So there's a range of how much you can gain, but I'm not sure what the bounds are.

ive raised my legitimacy to 50 or so since the last dude took over with 0 so maybe ill give it a shot, the heir sucks anyway although he is good general

Star
Jul 15, 2005

Guerilla war struggle is a new entertainment.
Fallen Rib

Alikchi posted:

Man, I've tried a Manchu-Qing run a couple of times and always get stomped by Ming or Korea 40 or 50 years in. How do people do it?

I actually did this tonight but I had super luck. I formed Manchu and right after that Ming exploded and Manchu rebels liberated four provinces and gave them to me. After waiting for some years Ming was down to a random assortment of provinces and just 8k soldiers so I attacked and peaced out with Beijing. Took me 70 years all in all. So uh, hopefully you'll see the same thing sometime!

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Now I see that Cavour wasn't completely wrong

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!
It's actually mega dumb that you can't walk through the Alps there, I mean that historical arrangement lasted for several hundred years as far as I am aware in spite of France being right there

Related, I hope they make some of the wastelands around India bigger, there probably shouldn't be such a big Tibetan-Indian border.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Whoa didn't realize they shook up the Ethiopia start

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Jazerus posted:

The big things you will have to learn are estates, institutions, states/territories, and the military changes - particularly getting used to the fact that if you attack an army who is sieging your fort, you become the defender instead of the attacker, so mountain forts and such are very useful now.

You can pretty much just play as normal and take that stuff as it comes though.

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I've forgotten the term, but what was vassal blocking again?

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type
The AI doesn't seem to care about fort zones in 1.19 beta. They can just waltz right through to my backline to siege it, and I'm not talking about that AI shortcut cheat. It's provinces that should be completely unreachable by them.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Node posted:

Thanks for all the replies. Maybe I've forgotten the term, but what was vassal blocking again?

Vassal blocking was when you created a vassal to physically block your capital from direct land access to a chunk of other provinces that you own. This would cause those provinces to become "distant overseas", giving them a 75% autonomy floor but 50% cheaper coring.

Now you get the cheaper coring and a 75% autonomy floor everywhere, but those cores are "territory cores". Several provinces in the same territory can be upgraded into a state for a nominal fee/month, which reduces the autonomy floor to 50%. Territories in a state can have their autonomy floor dropped to 0% by spending admin to convert the territory cores to state cores, which happens instantly, and you can press a single button to core all of the provinces in a state at once. You get a finite number of states, you can assign more as you upgrade admin and there are some idea groups that give you extra states

QuarkJets fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Nov 11, 2016

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Trogdos! posted:

The AI doesn't seem to care about fort zones in 1.19 beta. They can just waltz right through to my backline to siege it, and I'm not talking about that AI shortcut cheat. It's provinces that should be completely unreachable by them.

Does this account for the new fort rules?

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

StashAugustine posted:

Does this account for the new fort rules?

It's extremely non intuitive but basically you can walk between 2 hostile areas by having mil access through a third party which borders those provinces, it completely fucks the usefulness of forts in the HRE and at your borders in general. Hopefully this is not really intended and will be fixed.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

PDXmas Carol started playing. They just start earlier every year

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

What is a fun non-European colonial nation to play? Preferably one that isn't too hard, if that's possible.

e: to clarify I'm asking for a nation that can focus on colonizing new lands whose capital isn't in Europe.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Malacca and friends are exactly what you're looking for.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
I'd also recommend Tidore and Ternate, they're actually deceivingly easy even though they're small; their land gets a huge goods produced bonus that makes them pretty rich, plus they get an extra colonist in their ideas (so they're one of the only nations in the game that can get 4 colonists).

Too Poetic
Nov 28, 2008

snoremac posted:

England is haaaard at the start due to its bozo leader's 0/0/0 attributes. I almost gave up when Scotland and France pulverized me, but stuck with it since I assumed its supposed to happen to mark the end of the Hundred Year War. I brooded for a while and eventually lucked out when France and I were both in an anti-Ottoman war, meaning they couldn't declare war on me and Scotland had no useful ally. The timing was perfect since I'd just eclipsed Scotland's military progress too. France joined the war eventually but had lost its transports somehow. It was delicious, sweet revenge. If not for fear of a coalition I would've swallowed Scotland whole but settled for half their provinces.

I know this is all standard stuff but I'm new to it and love it.
Here's a tip for England: Delete any forts you have in France. Declare war on Scotland. Occupy Scotland and use your navy to keep French troops out of England. Wait 3 years and you will get 100 warscore for occupying Scotland.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

Too Poetic posted:

Here's a tip for England: Delete any forts you have in France. Declare war on Scotland. Occupy Scotland and use your navy to keep French troops out of England. Wait 3 years and you will get 100 warscore for occupying Scotland.

Yeah, I kept my eye on France during my war with Scotland, but they just didn't have the transports to cross the channel anyway. I'm assuming carracks can attack transports?

Also, just now I moved my early carracks and transports beyond the surrounding area over to around where Rome. I had no trouble getting there with my soldiers, but once the war was over and I was returning them ALL of my carracks and transports sunk. Not all at once, but over a few minutes. Why?

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

snoremac posted:

Yeah, I kept my eye on France during my war with Scotland, but they just didn't have the transports to cross the channel anyway. I'm assuming carracks can attack transports?

Also, just now I moved my early carracks and transports beyond the surrounding area over to around where Rome. I had no trouble getting there with my soldiers, but once the war was over and I was returning them ALL of my carracks and transports sunk. Not all at once, but over a few minutes. Why?

Attrition? If they're out to sea for too long you need to bring them home to repair them.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
Ah. Yeah they had been out there for a while.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Do militarily superior naval units work differently than land units? I've unlocked carracks and caravels but I still have early carracks and barques. I see that I can purchase carracks and caravels, so do I need to manually phase out the earlier ships by building new ones and disbanding the old ones?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah ships don't autoupgrade. There is an upgrade ships button, though it's tied to an expansion, can't recall which. Costs the same as building new ones, just way less annoying. Small time savings too, but that's never been relevant to me.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

snoremac posted:

Do militarily superior naval units work differently than land units? I've unlocked carracks and caravels but I still have early carracks and barques. I see that I can purchase carracks and caravels, so do I need to manually phase out the earlier ships by building new ones and disbanding the old ones?

There's an 'upgrade ships' button now if they are in port. Or maybe you need Mare Nostrum for that?

e: woops beaten

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It's not Mare Nostrum, because I don't own it and can upgrade ships.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
it's from art of war

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Baron Corbyn posted:

Attrition? If they're out to sea for too long you need to bring them home to repair them.

To elaborate on this a little, "out to sea" means "in a sea province that is not adjacent to a friendly province." You can have them sitting off your own or an allied coastline indefinitely.

On the topic, there's no way to set an alert for navies taking attrition damage or getting to low health is there? Sometimes I forget about a fleet and don't notice until I get the popup to say half of them just got lost at sea and by then it's usually too late to save the rest.

PleasingFungus
Oct 10, 2012
idiot asshole bitch who should fuck off

Koramei posted:

it's from art of war

what isn't from art of war, honestly

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

snoremac posted:

England is haaaard at the start due to its bozo leader's 0/0/0 attributes. I almost gave up when Scotland and France pulverized me, but stuck with it since I assumed its supposed to happen to mark the end of the Hundred Year War. I brooded for a while and eventually lucked out when France and I were both in an anti-Ottoman war, meaning they couldn't declare war on me and Scotland had no useful ally. The timing was perfect since I'd just eclipsed Scotland's military progress too. France joined the war eventually but had lost its transports somehow. It was delicious, sweet revenge. If not for fear of a coalition I would've swallowed Scotland whole but settled for half their provinces.

I know this is all standard stuff but I'm new to it and love it.

Whenever you start foraying into the miserable and rewarding world of achievement hunting you will soon be singing a different tune when you try to unite the British Isles as an Irish minor where England is the rear end in a top hat bully and France is the useless ally.

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Just getting back into EUIV after a break, apparently I have Cossacks but not Mare Nostrum or Rights of Man. I'm picking up RoM, because hooray CKII-style leader attributes, but MN seems extremely skippable. I watched a few videos and it looks like Condottieri in particular are annoying - are there any awesome can't-miss features in the MN DLC that I'm missing?

Tsyni
Sep 1, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Prop Wash posted:

Just getting back into EUIV after a break, apparently I have Cossacks but not Mare Nostrum or Rights of Man. I'm picking up RoM, because hooray CKII-style leader attributes, but MN seems extremely skippable. I watched a few videos and it looks like Condottieri in particular are annoying - are there any awesome can't-miss features in the MN DLC that I'm missing?

Condottieri aren't always useful, but they certainly can be useful to project force in wars you're not a part of. I can't remember who I was playing, but someone big and bad declared war on me and one of their rivals offered me 15000 troops free of charge. Not to mention you can make some decent money doing it too.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

Eej posted:

Whenever you start foraying into the miserable and rewarding world of achievement hunting you will soon be singing a different tune when you try to unite the British Isles as an Irish minor where England is the rear end in a top hat bully and France is the useless ally.

Yeah, I've realized how little of a threat France is (as a Scottish/Irish ally) once they've kicked you off the mainland. As long as you patrol the seas during wartime they're not a problem - in fact I don't think they even tried to invade my provinces the last two times I warred with Scotland.

I just conquered Scotland and Ireland and formed Great Britain. Not sure where to go from here. France would still kick my teeth in if I tried invading. I haven't chosen exploration ideas so I can't go colonizing yet. I might just see what unfolds. Norway might be a decent target.

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

snoremac posted:

Yeah, I've realized how little of a threat France is (as a Scottish/Irish ally) once they've kicked you off the mainland. As long as you patrol the seas during wartime they're not a problem - in fact I don't think they even tried to invade my provinces the last two times I warred with Scotland.

I just conquered Scotland and Ireland and formed Great Britain. Not sure where to go from here. France would still kick my teeth in if I tried invading. I haven't chosen exploration ideas so I can't go colonizing yet. I might just see what unfolds. Norway might be a decent target.

Having just done an England game, I suggest you make denmark break up their pu on both Sweden and norway. If they integrate them and make Scandinavia they become a pain to handle later on...

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Having just done an England game, I suggest you make denmark break up their pu on both Sweden and norway. If they integrate them and make Scandinavia they become a pain to handle later on...

Luckily enough, I just helped Sweden take a chunk of provinces from Denmark. Now so long as they don't run rampant and create Scandinavia, I should be okay.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I haven't played since forts became a thing but I heard Denmark got cooler so I decided to start a new campaign. I was never very good at it but the discord goons gave me some tips and I managed to take Lübeck by attacking Riga which pulled them in and now I'm making money hand over fist. I also own Danzig and if the danish trade mission comes up again I suppose I'll try and get the last province too, last time I played the mission only required one of the provinces.

The new events are cool but they also messed up my plans a little. I was integrating Holsten when an event fired where I could either take Schleswig and lose them as a vassal or pay 172 ducats to get them now, I of course took the second option. It came as a surprise because another event before that let me give up the core in Schleswig in exchange for some money too.

So now I'm just focusing on the Baltic. Lithuania is independent and a rival, the emperor is saxony and Poland is a loyal ally. I'm focusing diplot points because I'm going exploration for my third idea and I know I'll be starved. I just hope something decent shows up near Greenland in the random new world.

Feels good man.

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
I'm taking it as a good sign that in my Iroquois game, England is my only valid rival. This despite the fact that I have no idea what the world looks like beyond North America and have never made a single ship in the whole game.

I thought I'd grab the achievements for supporting rebels, but it seems like none of the natives around me have any valid rebels. I guess they've had a long enough time to consolidate even under the ai. I'm hoping once Newfoundland is free they'll have some valid rebels to support. If not I might have to pass up on this one until I play somewhere that isn't America.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
I must be blind. I thought you were able to give a custom nation in a non feudal part of the world feudalism to start. Can't find the button to do so. :confused:

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Fintilgin posted:

I must be blind. I thought you were able to give a custom nation in a non feudal part of the world feudalism to start. Can't find the button to do so. :confused:

I'm pretty sure you just need to make your government non-tribal. That worked when I did it at least.

Silent Banana
Aug 24, 2009

Fintilgin posted:

You need to select one of the tech groups that start with feudalism (and not have a primitive gov type).

Silent Banana fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Nov 11, 2016

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Silent Banana posted:

You need to select one of the tech groups that start with feudalism (and not have a primitive gov type).

Ah, makes sense. I had a non primitive gov type, but I thought tech group didn't have any effect other than unit type any more.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pellisworth posted:

It looks to me like "Better Relations Over Time" which increased decay of AE and other relations modifiers and "Improve Relations" which just sped up the "Improve Relations" diplomatic mission have been merged, so it's actually a stealth buff. Diplomatic Ideas and being Protestant are better now, for example.

It would be really nice if the Improved Relations modifier actually did something useful, like increase the cap on improving relations.

Also that increased coring costs for trading in spices better be a bad joke.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Fister Roboto posted:

It would be really nice if the Improved Relations modifier actually did something useful, like increase the cap on improving relations.

Also that increased coring costs for trading in spices better be a bad joke.

It's probably a bug; Paradox flips their negative and positive modifiers every so often.

• Locked thread