Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Parachute posted:

Justified is always highly recommended.

Did you ever watch The Good Guys? It was made by Matt Nix and definitely had that goofy lighthearted kind of feel to it. Bradley Whitford is (as expected) really awesome in this.

Edit: Looks like it's not streaming any more unless you happen to have Comcast I guess.

We watched Good Guys when it was live, and really enjoyed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Good Guys was taken from us too soon.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Rough Lobster posted:

Apparently there's a new MacGuyver series now? Out of all the unnecessary reboots in TV/movies I'm oddly ok with the idea.
A protagonist that won't kill or break bones or use a gun?

Lol

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

I'm up to the fourth episode of The Fall season 3 and it's straight up awful. It doesn't get much worse than a boring thriller, and this one's enriched Ambien.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.
Season 3 is weird. No more cat and mouse suspense.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I watched the original Rocky (for the first time?) last night and it's the perfect American movie. It's a shame it's only remembered for the sequels where Rocky is an unstoppable underdog instead of the 'dumb but not quite dumb enough to be oblivious to it' insecure guy who can't stop babbling. The whole concept is fascinating and the end is perfect.

Still going to rewatch all the sequels. Haven't seen them since I was a kid.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Rocky is legitimately an amazing movie. It's incredible touching, it's exciting, it has so much going for it. I agree that it stinks Rocky is mostly remembered for the sequels when the first is just so incredible.

Not that I don't like most of the sequels.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

GonSmithe posted:

Rocky is legitimately an amazing movie. It's incredible touching, it's exciting, it has so much going for it. I agree that it stinks Rocky is mostly remembered for the sequels when the first is just so incredible.

Not that I don't like most of the sequels.

Rocky Balboa was a perfect cap to the series. I ignore III IV and V, though. I still need to see Creed. I hear it's wonderful.

Hackers film 1995
Nov 4, 2009

Hack the planet!

Rocky III and IV are great if you understand that they are a bit absurd. Rocky V sucks. Rocky VII: Adrians Revenge is really good though.

Mover
Jun 30, 2008

Oh drat, when did O Brother Where Art Thou go up on Netflix (US, anyway)? I will happily rewatch this movie pretty much infinitely.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Ugly In The Morning posted:

Rocky Balboa was a perfect cap to the series. I ignore III IV and V, though. I still need to see Creed. I hear it's wonderful.

Creed's coming to Amazon Prime some time this month.

I watched it back when it was a 99 cent rental and I thought it was pretty good. The story can get a little cheesy but it's well put together.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
I ended up rewatching Creed on an airline flight with no audio and man it's an extremely visually pretty movie.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Mover posted:

Oh drat, when did O Brother Where Art Thou go up on Netflix (US, anyway)? I will happily rewatch this movie pretty much infinitely.

I watched this for the first time a few weeks ago. It was awful. Goddamn do I hate the coen brothers

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Can anybody recommend some recent-ish inspirational movies that leave the viewer feeling good, for example The Martian and Creed. Streaming or not is ok. This week sucks.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

drunken officeparty posted:

I watched this for the first time a few weeks ago. It was awful. Goddamn do I hate the coen brothers

Admins???

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Human Tornada posted:

Can anybody recommend some recent-ish inspirational movies that leave the viewer feeling good, for example The Martian and Creed. Streaming or not is ok. This week sucks.

Dear Zachary is always a feel good movie!

no no don't listen to me

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

No. No no no.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

No Country For Old Men is really good. Other than that, eat a dick Joel and Ethan.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Human Tornada posted:

It's corny but I enjoyed The Intern. It's streaming on HBO atm.

No Country For Old Men is really good. Other than that, eat a dick Joel and Ethan.

:wtf:

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Still wrong

Watch Miller's Crossing, you silly ingrate

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

I bet you like your steaks well done too.

Human Tornada posted:

Hot Rod. Speed Racer. Don't think they're streaming though.

Accident Underwater
Oct 21, 2005

You look like a star!
Neon Demon is on Amazon Prime now. If you liked Only God Forgives you'll probably enjoy it, and as usual with Refn it's worth watching just for the aesthetics.

Human Tornada posted:

The Secret Life of Walter Mitty would be good, but I don't think its free anyway (can be rented on Amazon).

Less recent ones, but Cinderella Man and Good Will Hunting are on Netflix, the original Rocky is on Hulu, and The Truman Show (one of my all time favorites) is on Amazon Prime.

Accident Underwater fucked around with this message at 02:10 on Nov 11, 2016

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

This makes me madder than when I woke up on Wednesday. I'm going to spite watch my blu ray copy when I get home.

Well, the two of us was fixin' to fornicate.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Human Tornada posted:

The Retrieval

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

Human Tornada posted:

Hot Fuzz on Netflix US is pretty awesome and good for a few laughs. It always manages to pick me up.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Human Tornada posted:

You should watch The Straight Story. It would be perfect.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker

ive got extremely questionable taste in TV and movies but this :eyepop:

uncertainty
Aug 8, 2011

Human Tornada posted:

I really enjoyed "the Barkley marathons". I believe it is streaming on Netflix.

The people who I have recommended it to thought I was crazy based on the description of the documentary but all really enjoyed it as well.

It is basically a film crew documenting the 2014(?) race. However, the Barkley marathon is not a normal marathon, it is this crazy 3 day lasting 100 (or 120 or 105 nobody really knows) race through the forest. I really enjoyed it because it is both an incredible feature of strength, willpower and perseverance and at the same time just a legitimately stupid idea of which all contestants are aware. So a lot of the documentary is them constantly making fun of exactly how dumb they are, how dumb the race is while at the same time pushing their bodies and minds to the extreme. Every person is also extremely likable which really helps.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

I don't hate them, I just really don't like most of the movies they've made. Raising Arizona, True Grit, and Hail Caesar are the exceptions.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Accident Underwater posted:

Neon Demon is on Amazon Prime now. If you liked Only God Forgives you'll probably enjoy it, and as usual with Refn it's worth watching just for the aesthetics.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it. I'd say it's almost as good as Drive, but not as good as Valhalla Rising.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
Watch the newest Real Sports on HBO Now. Funny and inspiration (even a mentally lovely maniac can achieve success).

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

mysterious frankie posted:

Watch the newest Real Sports on HBO Now. Funny and inspiration (even a mentally lovely maniac can achieve success).

See also the recent election.

POLICE CAR AUCTION
Dec 1, 2003

I'm not a princess

Human Tornada posted:

Moonrise Kingdom is on netflix and should leave you feeling pretty drat good.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Hot Fuzz is drat inspirational.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Human Tornada posted:

Wet Hot American Summer isn't inspirational, but I can't imagine anyone not feeling good after watching it. Avoid the sequel, though, that's depressingly bad.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The sequel wasn't that bad.

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Filthy Hans posted:

Wet Hot American Summer isn't inspirational, but I can't imagine anyone not feeling good after watching it. Avoid the sequel, though, that's depressingly bad.

The TV series? I'd argue it's tighter and funnier than the movie is by a good margin.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

CaptCommy posted:

The TV series? I'd argue it's tighter and funnier than the movie is by a good margin.

That'd be a futile argument.

Filthy Hans posted:

Alternatively, Hurricane of Fun is an excellent follow-up that might even be better than the original.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

CaptCommy posted:

I'm sure that would be a poor argument.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013
I like the show a lot, but tighter is like the worst word for it.