Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Australia is bad

Bigly bad.

Tories across the board will be looking at Trumpism and clapping.

I fear that all they have to do is take Campbell Newman's brain and put it in a loud orange apparatus and will create a Tory God who will smite us all.

Australia is next.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

hooman posted:

Seen on channel 9 last night:

"Centrelink disaster, millions of calls left unanswered, spare a thought for the call operators, how do they cope?"

*shoots torrents of blood out of eyes*
Story unseen, but wouldn't something that highlighted the stress of a job that turns people into (anecdotally) dead-eyed uncaring fucks that handball anything that can't be resolved in five minutes be a good thing?

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Anidav posted:

Australia is bad

Bigly bad.

Tories across the board will be looking at Trumpism and clapping.

I fear that all they have to do is take Campbell Newman's brain and put it in a loud orange apparatus and will create a Tory God who will smite us all.

Australia is next.

What the gently caress do you mean next, we already elected Tony Abbott you utter nong. The Australian public proved their loving stupidity before the American public did and we don't even have voluntary voting as an excuse.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The American public elected him after Obama. There was no instability and no leadership tugowars.

All it took was yelling at the status quo until it exploded.

Loud conservative assholes are upon us. Abbott was an idiot but he is nothing compared to this toxic brand of conservatism. Tony Abbott is Mitt Romney levels and Trump proved there is a level below that and that level is electable.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Graic Gabtar posted:

Story unseen, but wouldn't something that highlighted the stress of a job that turns people into (anecdotally) dead-eyed uncaring fucks that handball anything that can't be resolved in five minutes be a good thing?

Yes, absolutely. The government being taken to task for loving over centrelink worker as well as welfare recipients is a good thing.

It just staggers me to see the sympathy directed to the overworked workers while the recipients whose lives these kind of delays can destroy are glossed over.

Amoeba102
Jan 22, 2010

So how long until Bernardi makes a change to the House?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Amoeba102 posted:

So how long until Bernardi makes a change to the House?

Never, he's been playing this game for years.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ewe2 posted:

Apparently a black Muslim guy wants to run the DNC (Democrat National Committee). Now he sounds like a great guy, but can you think of anything more dumb just after this election?
From what I've heard he's pretty outspoken on economic issues, so it's not a bad choice.

Howard Dean is in the running too, and from memory his 50 States approach ended up being pretty successful and lead to the Dems controlling the Reps and helped Obama's win.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1GadTfGFvU

The Working Classes belief in the Trump Presidency

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

We've got time for refugee deal with US, Pyne says
A reported deal to send refugees currently on Nauru and Manus Island to the US could be revealed within days, with Christopher Pyne saying there is plenty of time to put it in place before anti-immigration President-elect Donald Trump takes office.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Nauru and Manus arent working, where's a worse place we can send them?

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Like others have said we've already had our Trumps (e.g. Newman, Palmer, Abbott) and voters got buyers' remorse very quickly.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

Palmer couldn't actually do anything, but might have been a bit like a Trump-lite if he could. I don't really see Newman and Abbott as Trump analogues though. They're conservative blowhards, but their style is so different.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

The closest we've had to a Trump would've been Kerry Packer.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

We gave the world Rupert Murdoch, there will be no mercy.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please

Les Affaires posted:

For anybody looking for a comparison with Australia, our electorates and voting system get reproportioned every few years as demographics and geographic migration changes. We have next to nobody in our geographic interior, and because our voting system roughly follows where people actually live, it mostly reflects the wishes of the people living in the urban and suburban areas around the capital cities.

Our politics therefore reflects more closer the wishes of a majority of the population, which is why we get more
backlash against policies that threaten to lower the average living standards and our politics respond to that backlash quicker and more effectively.

Cynics might say otherwise but the main issue in the USA is that most economic opportunity is now located on the coast and the borders, because that's where the major urban areas now are. The people geographically located in the middle have to make the difficult decision of staying where they are (either deliberately or through just not having the means to relocate) or by relocating and starting their entire social lives again from scratch. Naturally they'd be pissed off about that and have voted accordingly.

Its also worth nothing that Republican state governments have spent years restructuring boundaries to make it more favorable for them and getting reelected.

I'm on the phone otherwise I'd link but Michael Moore did a speech where he predicted this outcome. Basically, he said Trump spoke more to people when he told US auto manufactures that he'd put tarrifs on their cars if they move production offshore then any other political leader has in decades. He called the vote for Trump the only 'gently caress you' many could give to the establishment.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

A exhibit about the Great Barrier Reef is showing in Brisbane called "Wild State"

Ok here is the punchline

It is at the Queensland Museum and funded by BHP.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Anidav posted:

A exhibit about the Great Barrier Reef is showing in Brisbane called "Wild State"

Ok here is the punchline

It is at the Queensland Museum and funded by BHP.

I'll check it out after I look at the coal mining exhibit and the state of origin merchandise collection.

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Graic Gabtar posted:

From a class and disadvantage point of view I suspect the gap between centerlink call centre staff and callers is not very big.

Resident Idiot
May 11, 2007

Maxine13
Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

Not Clive Palmer?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

open24hours posted:

Palmer couldn't actually do anything, but might have been a bit like a Trump-lite if he could. I don't really see Newman and Abbott as Trump analogues though. They're conservative blowhards, but their style is so different.

Palmer had the rich guy buying his way into parliament as a novelty analogy, but while crazy he also actually has some principles. For example he was very critical of our refugee policies.

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

You Am I posted:

Christopher Skase seems more apt.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Nibbles! posted:

Its also worth nothing that Republican state governments have spent years restructuring boundaries to make it more favorable for them and getting reelected.

I'm on the phone otherwise I'd link but Michael Moore did a speech where he predicted this outcome. Basically, he said Trump spoke more to people when he told US auto manufactures that he'd put tarrifs on their cars if they move production offshore then any other political leader has in decades. He called the vote for Trump the only 'gently caress you' many could give to the establishment.

It's a good speech. People should really give it a listen.

quote:

I know a lot of people in Michigan that are planning to vote for Trump and they don't necessarily like him that much, and they don't necessarily agree with him. They're not racist or rednecks, they're actually pretty decent people, and so after talking to a number of them I wanted to write this:

'Donald Trump came to the Detroit Economic Club and stood there in front of Ford Motor executives and said, "if you close these factories as you're planning to do in Detroit and build them in Mexico, I'm going to put a 35% tariff on those cars when you send them back and nobody's going to buy them."

It was an amazing thing to see. No politician, Republican or Democrat, had ever said anything like that to these executives, and it was music to the ears of people in Michigan and Ohio and Pennsylvania and Wisconsin -- the "Brexit" states.

You live here in Ohio, you know what I'm talking about. Whether Trump means it or not, is kind of irrelevant because he's saying the things to people who are hurting, and that's why every beaten-down, nameless, forgotten working stiff who used to be part of what was called the middle class loves Trump. He is the human molotov cocktail that they've been waiting for. The human hand grande that they can legally throw into the system that stole their lives from them.

And on November 8, Election Day, although they lost their jobs, although they've been foreclose on by the bank, and next came the divorce and now the wife and kids are gone, the car's been repoed, they haven't had a real vacation in years, they're stuck with the lovely Obamacare Bronze Plan where you can't even get a loving percocet. They've essentially lost everything they had, except one thing -- the one thing that doesn't cost them a cent, and is guaranteed to them by the American constitution: the right to vote.

They might be penniless, they might be homeless, they might be hosed over and hosed up it doesn't matter, because it's equalized on that day - a millionaire has the same number of votes as the person without a job: one.

And there's more of the former middle class than there are in the millionaire class.

So on November 8, the dispossessed will walk into the voting booth, be handed a ballot, close the curtain, and take that lever or felt pen or touchscreen and put a big loving X in the box by the name of the man who has threatened to upend and overturn the very system that has ruined their lives: Donald J. Trump.

They see that the elite who ruined their lives hate Trump. Corporate America hates Trump. Wall Street hates Trump. The career politicians hate Trump. The media hates Trump, after they loved him and created him, and now hate.

Thank you media: the enemy of my enemy is who I'm voting for on November 8.

Yes, on November 8, you Joe Blow, Steve Blow, Bob Blow, Billy Blow, all the Blows get to go and blow up the whole goddamn system because it's your right. Trump's election is going to be the biggest "gently caress you" ever recorded in human history, and it will feel good.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Milky Moor posted:

It's a good speech. People should really give it a listen.
'Deplorables', who'd have thunked it?

Thanks for the link. I actually don't mind Moore to a degree and for the rust belt I think this is a good analysis.

Spent some time talking to a friend from New York state earlier today. He's historically a Democrat but he's also dropped out of the middle class. He voted Trump even though it was pointless. Although he realises he's probably hosed, he thinks at least Trump will be his last chance to get his old life back.

Interesting to hear a similar message within an hour or two.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

The best thing the Rust Belt could've hoped for is a Dem running on a platform of building solar panels in America for America but they hosed that up and will probably have to import it from Germany like we do because we also hosed up the renewable shift.

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Anidav posted:

The best thing the Rust Belt could've hoped for is a Dem running on a platform of building solar panels in America for America but they hosed that up and will probably have to import it from Germany like we do because we also hosed up the renewable shift.
They didn't though. In that neck of the woods Hilary Clinton was campaigning on a platform of Hillary Clinton.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because Hillary Clinton is a bad candidate.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

Because Hillary Clinton is a bad candidate.

It's not (just) that; the Dem leadership / campaign in general didn't feel the need to push those areas as hard as they should have.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Literally promise to build solar panels in the Rust Belt and it would be the opposite result.

Didn't happen.

Laughing my rear end off.

Someone post Kevin Rudd's piece on Trump that came out today it's behind a paywall.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

I don't know why you'd believe them even if they did promise that.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

Because it's more specific than Trumps vague promise to just "Bring it back"

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/opinion/kevin-rudd-donald-trump-might-just-need-a-friend/news-story/afd9d0ba9317fede449de346e1c32598

POLITICS in western democracies is a wild ride these days. There’s a big reason for this. The Reagan-Thatcher economic revolution 35 years ago, anchored in deregulation, privatisation, free markets at home, free trade and investment abroad, “trickle-down” for the working and middle classes and the globalisation of everything has now come to a shuddering halt.

There is now a majority of people who want it all to stop. While there may be a lot in all this for the captains of finance, they see little in it for them. Their jobs are threatened. They are struggling to stay afloat. They fear for their kids. Their dignity, self-respect and identity are under threat.

They believe their country cares more for foreigners than it does for them. They are sick of being told globalisation is in their best interests. They despise the fact that London, New York, San Francisco and Los Angeles, the “global” cities, are going gangbusters, while the rest of the world is not.

Brexit was the entree. The Presidential elections the main course. And that’s before robotics cuts a fresh swath through traditional jobs, once thought to be permanently secure.

The impact is profound. This is the biggest departure in US political and economic orthodoxy since WW11. And potentially the biggest single change in US foreign and security policy since the end of the Cold War. That spells uncertainty.

Despite having lived in America the past three years, I didn’t pick these elections. Therese did. As she did Brexit. Partly because she knows a lot about what’s going on in labour markets. The reaction to escalating inequality is the movement we now see unfolding across America and Europe.

There’s little point in the left, or the “respectable” right, complaining about President Trump. It is what it is. The practical challenge is to understand where Trump is likely to steer the American ship of state and how the international community now engages his administration. Many will spend hours analysing each of his policy statements during the campaign. Those folks should go to the beach instead. Trump does not believe he is bound by anything he said in the campaign. He sees himself as having complete flexibility. Much better to understand the nature of the man and the movement he represents.

Trump in US political and corporate life is a loner. He has been despised by the establishments in both parties for decades. Leading corporates, particularly Wall Street, have always rejected him as one of their own. He demands respect and has received little. He is a maverick who enjoys being his own man and defying the sneers of those around him. He is not the sort of guy who will be hamstrung by convention, or by the wise counsel of his seniors, as he approaches the demands of high office.

Trumpism the movement is characterised by three overwhelming features: nationalism, bordering on xenophobia; protectionism; and isolationism. These are not unique in American history. It is very much the story of pre-war America, in a movement called “America First.”

He describes an America tired of putting its own interests last and the rest of the world’s first. He sees an America overextending itself in regions where its real interests are marginal. And he doesn’t believe America has any business imposing its standards on others.

Trump’s core priorities will be domestic and economic. He believes in lower tax, But he is a big believer in government’s role in rebuilding the country’s decrepit infrastructure.

Trump is a “capital P” protectionist where the free trade agreement with Canada and Mexico is the root of all evil. He will abandon the TPP trade agreement with 11 Asian countries, including Japan and Australia. This will alienate Prime Minister Abe who has gone out on a limb in protectionist Japan by negotiating the deal with President Obama.

A similar agreement with Europe won’t get to first base. He sees unfair trading relationships, especially with China, as a “huge” one-way street which has hollowed out American industry, jobs and cities. A real danger is if he takes his protectionist instincts to their conclusion, it could well cripple global growth altogether.

In Trump’s broader world view, he is committed to rebuilding the American military. He has directly attacked freeloading allies who do not pull their own weight in military expenditure. He has an entirely new approach to Russia with whom he wants to normalise relations, something Putin has welcomed, but with unknown results for Syria, Ukraine and nuclear negotiations.

In Asia, some argue China is delighted by Trump’s election. I don’t agree. China craves stability and predictability in great power relations. With Trump they see great uncertainty. China is deeply focused on Trump’s stated preparedness to impose across the board 45 per cent tariff increases in retaliation against Chinese protectionist behaviour. Trump states explicitly this is the only real leverage America has on a China struggling to sustain its growth rates.

Trump also sees leveraging China as the solution to America’s number one national security challenge: the North Korean nuclear program. Trump will also be more lenient on President Duterte in the Philippines.

These factors will create some strategic uncertainty globally. They may cause various international actors to test the new administration. Or cause some to hedge against any emerging US isolationism by seeking strategic accommodations elsewhere.

US action on climate change will be as active as Australia under Abbott and Turnbull. Nil. And we don’t know how his other campaign proposals will pan out — the Great Wall of Mexico, the ban on Muslim immigration, the expulsion 12 million illegal residents, his new plan to defeat ISIS and militant Islamism around the world. I suspect we will see the pragmatic reinterpretation of many, although not all.

Australia doesn’t really figure in Trump’s world-view. This is good. We are not seen as a problem to be solved. This may just give us a chance to be a quiet, moderating influence as an ally on policy challenges that really matter.

Ambassador Joe Hockey to his credit went to see leading members of Team Trump some time ago, when most other embassies were giving them the cold shoulder. And the only smart thing Turnbull has done since becoming PM was not joining the international chorus line of public attacks by government leaders on Trump pre-election. Maybe Turnbull learnt from John Howard’s stupidity when he attacked Obama before the 2008 election, saying an Obama win would be a victory for al-Qaeda.

Abbott was just as uncharitable about Obama. The Obama administration never forgot.

Memo to Malcolm: which by definition he will resent: write Trump a personal letter now, by hand, outlining Australia’s and America’s shared interests, and where private dialogue would be welcome.

I did this with President-elect Obama in late 2008.

Being US President is one of the loneliest jobs in the world. The Donald just might be in search of friends from among his new-found peers. And this might be helpful before too many of his pre-election musings find their way into unchangeable policy.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Graic Gabtar posted:

'Deplorables', who'd have thunked it?

Thanks for the link. I actually don't mind Moore to a degree and for the rust belt I think this is a good analysis.

Spent some time talking to a friend from New York state earlier today. He's historically a Democrat but he's also dropped out of the middle class. He voted Trump even though it was pointless. Although he realises he's probably hosed, he thinks at least Trump will be his last chance to get his old life back.

Interesting to hear a similar message within an hour or two.

The Dems ran a campaign that spoke to no one who wasn't a city-living Democrat who thought that having a bunch of celebrities singing Fight Song was enough. No one turned out to vote for them, that's it. As much as a lot of people are going to say it came down to a swell of racists and sexists on the side of Trump, it's not the case. When you look at the numbers, votes for Clinton decreased across every demographic that wasn't rich, college-educated or over 65 years of age. Less white people voted for Trump this they did for Romney, more minority voters voted for Trump than they did for Romney. More poor people voted for Trump than they did Romney, more people with and without Union memberships (and vice versa for Clinton!) The Clinton supporters got cocky as gently caress, as could be seen in the C-SPAM meltdown thread, and paid for it.

And, ultimately, I think there were a lot of people who just didn't vote because they didn't like Trump's vision for America but certainly didn't like Clinton's message that things were fine.

Milkfred E. Moore fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Nov 11, 2016

Redcordial
Nov 7, 2009

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

lol the country is fed up with your safe spaces and trigger warnings you useless special snowflakes, send the sjws to mexico

ModernMajorGeneral posted:

From a class and disadvantage point of view I suspect the gap between centerlink call centre staff and callers is not very big.

To be fair I know a number of people who are employed in this very area, and it is actually quite a high paying role. I'm talking around the sum of $60k+ with very accessible over-time which sees their rate of pay increase substantially. A couple of these friends happen to be casual staff, so of course their rates of pay are even higher, with the ability to "easily" as quoted by a worker, earn in excess of $100k a year.

Though casual staff have recently had their daily limit of hours reduced to just 5 hours, so that makes earning more a fair bit more difficult, and I would expect casual staff to suffer in regards to well-being in this circumstance.

In saying that, despite the reduction of hours for casual staff, the work itself involves a large amount of paid training in which it is reported that it mostly consists of up to 2 weeks of classroom type re-training. I suspect this is where many of the short-comings are occurring, besides the obvious lack of necessary staff to adequately answer calls.

So it may be quite stressful work for those with souls, who feel the pain of only being able to offer so much assistance, but for the rest it is just another cushy job where people can shift responsibilities with the push of a button.

E: This is in Victoria in case there happens to be fluctuations in rates of pay between states.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

I still can't get over more minorities voting for Trump. Romney didn't have nearly as toxic attitudes but 2% more latinos and 2% more African Americans voted for Trump than Romney.

I guess there's some stupid ones out there who believe a wall will keep out the bad hombres and putting law and order back on TV will save our cities.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Anidav posted:

I still can't get over more minorities voting for Trump. Romney didn't have nearly as toxic attitudes but 2% more latinos and 2% more African Americans voted for Trump than Romney.
Minorities aren't immune to economic concerns.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
and exit polling has a margin of error

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

Remember reading an Australian piece not long ago, they found plenty of first and second generation non-white immigrants/refugees in western Sydney who were all totally onboard with our gross immigration policies because they were all afraid they would suffer economically without those policies protecting their jobs and services.

A lot of people seem completely convinced that there's no way that a refugee could actually contribute to the economy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

Milky Moor posted:

The Clinton supporters got cocky as gently caress, as could be seen in the C-SPAM meltdown thread, and paid for it.
A lot of the cockiness came from 2012. Republicans at the time were convinced the Romney was doing fine and it was the numbers that were wrong, but come election day they were wrong and the polls were right.

Fast forward to 2016 and while the polls get the primaries wrong they were frequently not too far off, and primaries are inherently harder to poll anyway. Trump certainly performed about as well as the polls predicted in them.

starkebn posted:

and exit polling has a margin of error

There is that too.

Doctor Spaceman fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic Gabtar
Dec 19, 2014

squat my posts

Milky Moor posted:

The Dems ran a campaign that spoke to no one who wasn't a city-living Democrat who thought that having a bunch of celebrities singing Fight Song was enough. No one turned out to vote for them, that's it. As much as a lot of people are going to say it came down to a swell of racists and sexists on the side of Trump, it's not the case. When you look at the numbers, votes for Clinton decreased across every demographic that wasn't rich, college-educated or over 65 years of age. Less white people voted for Trump this they did for Romney, more minority voters voted for Trump than they did for Romney. More poor people voted for Trump than they did Romney, more people with and without Union memberships (and vice versa for Clinton!) The Clinton supporters got cocky as gently caress, as could be seen in the C-SPAM meltdown thread, and paid for it.

And, ultimately, I think there were a lot of people who just didn't vote because they didn't like Trump's vision for America but certainly didn't like Clinton's message that things were fine.
The power of not turning up is underrated here. Democrats didn't want four more years of Obama and they didn't have to vote reluctantly.

Anidav posted:

Because it's more specific than Trumps vague promise to just "Bring it back"
Or "It's Time".

cohsae posted:

Remember reading an Australian piece not long ago, they found plenty of first and second generation non-white immigrants/refugees in western Sydney who were all totally onboard with our gross immigration policies because they were all afraid they would suffer economically without those policies protecting their jobs and services.

A lot of people seem completely convinced that there's no way that a refugee could actually contribute to the economy.
This is not just a Sydney or Australia thing tbh.

• Locked thread