Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Where do you even source a crate LS3 from in Blighty?

PartsworldPerformance :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Morning chaps. Popped over to DT on Friday and had a look at the engine. We took the head off and...

Was quietly hoping the head would be okay so I could have recouped some money. But hey ho. Also I even managed to destroy my manifolds haha.

Does anyone know if the OEM supplied crank is blued from the factory? We noted this when it came out, and if it's not like that as standard, it looks like I've had some extremely serious oiling issues and heat going on. Annoying as the dash temp gauge never exceeded about 115!

On the bright side, Craig showed me round this 350Z he's just finished. Absolutely amazing! Looks like it was meant to be. I'm still incredibly excited despite the gutting feeling of seeing the old S54!

Also ordered a bunch of ARP hardware. Rebuilding a zero mile engine feels all kinds of wrong, but better to be cautious after this poo poo!

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

After a gentle break in you should be much better set than if you did a non zero mile rebuild.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Bape Culture posted:

Also ordered a bunch of ARP hardware. Rebuilding a zero mile engine feels all kinds of wrong, but better to be cautious after this poo poo!

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27540/regular-car-reviews-ls-powered-chevy-colorado/

denmah posted:

People are funny, they come to me and say they want to build a budget race car. So, I'll get them a $200 motor. But then they don't want it, they want to pay more for a clean low-mile motor. Fine. But then, they want to take it apart, completely rebuild it, machine shop, the works...and I'm thinking... "where is the budget?! Ha! Budget Race Car! If the motor was already running in great shape, why take it apart? That's what people do with these turbo LS cars. Then they change the oil pump, put on rod bolts and then have oil pressure and reliability issues."

Maybe take it apart and inspect it but if everything is fine I'd just put it back together after cleaning it. Hell, he even reuses gaskets sometimes... while building cars that reliably do 7 and 8 second quarter miles and can be driven to work whenever he wants.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull

kastein posted:

Maybe take it apart and inspect it but if everything is fine I'd just put it back together after cleaning it. Hell, he even reuses gaskets sometimes... while building cars that reliably do 7 and 8 second quarter miles and can be driven to work whenever he wants.

I would argue however that running on a track is a slightly different duty cycle than drag stuff.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

kastein posted:

http://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a27540/regular-car-reviews-ls-powered-chevy-colorado/

An OEM built engine is done better than DIY most of the time I'd say, even if you're meticulous with details. It's down to a science with the machining, torque application, hell even RTV for less leaks. Take a tour of an engine plant, it's kind of eye opening the technology in there. And of course all the OEM parts are designed to work for that engine and has more engineering testing and R&D behind it than any aftermarket stuff available.

I like this guy's style.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
I have no problem with building/rebuilding/upgrading engines. but one issue with just switching out fasteners with arp is they usually use a higher torque spec. So things that were round like the main bores might not be anymore with the new bolts. Machine shops will frequently install the new hardware and then do a line bore on the mains for example.

And then you open the opportunity for inconsistent values, especially with a torque wrench instead of a stretch gauge.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

mekilljoydammit posted:

I would argue however that running on a track is a slightly different duty cycle than drag stuff.

So would I, but again, this is rod bolts and head bolts we're talking about here. Denmah has put up videos after nuking a motor (rod broke, iirc) showing absolutely perfect rod bearings and fasteners, the rod still swung around the crank smoothly even, with reused factory hardware, after making drat near 4 figure horsepower numbers I believe.

And like I said, he drives the things all the time, it's not a dedicated track car. In fact his hobby seems mostly to be building stupid fast cars with factory parts, driving them wherever he wants whenever he wants, and occasionally going to a track and seeing how close he can get to the time they kick you out for not having a cage by lifting halfway down the track, and/or just seeing how much people make fun of him and then getting kicked out for going insanely fast without the required equipment. He doesn't trailer the thing, he tosses the drag radials in the bed and drives there, sometimes multiple hours on the highway.

e:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jMFeCwP6qo
"I must have hit 22lbs of boost 40 times on the way here" (gets on the drag strip, sprays the gently caress out of it, runs a 10.29 quarter mile and gets told he has to keep his times over 11.50... oh and the engine sounds better after the run)
http://www.lsxmag.com/features/car-features/cheap-thrills-matt-happels-turbo-4-8l-swapped-ford-fairmont/

That's 650hp out of a junkyard 4.8L that... I think maybe he regapped the rings, that's it.

I just don't see the reason for ARP bottom end fasteners on a Vortec when the stock stuff clearly puts up with the abuse. Head bolts/studs? Sure, why the hell not, go for it.

kastein fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Nov 7, 2016

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Stronger than stock hardware for an NA build is overkill. Definitely a baffled oil pan for the cornering g's and maybe roller rockers since this motor is going to live life close to redline. That being said, comparing denmah's stuff to this is kind of apples to oranges.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kastein posted:

I just don't see the reason for ARP bottom end fasteners on a Vortec when the stock stuff clearly puts up with the abuse. Head bolts/studs? Sure, why the hell not, go for it.

At least back in the day, on the original LS1, there was a (probably real) fear that the rod bolts simply wouldn't hold up to high revs. More of an issue for trying to make big NA power by spinning the thing as fast as you can.

A lack of desire to swap rod bolts had my dad shifting this thing around 6800 on the 1-2 and 6500 on the 2-3 if I remember correctly, and then banging the limiter through the traps on a particularly good run:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RkOnnl4BMU

Video is ancient but I still love the sound that car made. Longtubes and a cutout. :allears: The cam wasn't even all that big in the grand scheme of things, either.

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kastein posted:

So would I, but again, this is rod bolts and head bolts we're talking about here. Denmah has put up videos after nuking a motor (rod broke, iirc) showing absolutely perfect rod bearings and fasteners, the rod still swung around the crank smoothly even, with reused factory hardware, after making drat near 4 figure horsepower numbers I believe.

Snipped because of relevant points... boosted drag stuff, again, is going to have a very different failure mode to roadrace stuff. He's making a shitload of power (and I really like his style btw, and am trying to get a coworker to adopt it for one of his projects) but it's not universally applicable. This day and age, manufacturers have a pretty good idea how to get a rod to perform under compression, but an automatic on a drag strip is not under much risk of stretching rod bolts and ovaling the big end of the rods due to a missed downshift or trying to stretch the rev limit a bit to avoid shifting during a corner. The oil on a drag engine isn't going to have the viscosity dropping off a cliff because it's too hot, or be aerated to within an inch of its life by sustained high rpm use. A drag run does not have time to abuse the oil in the same way, you can get away with murder on drag engines, and look, that guy is.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

You are both right and I hadn't really considered high RPMs and oil overheating+aeration.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
If you're going to take it apart and upgrade why not send as many parts as you can to california and get them wpc treated. Piston rings and cam would be pretty cheap to ship and have good ROI.

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Plus the WPC guy is this cool old Japanese dude in a little shop in Torrance.

But I don't think he means to take it that far apart, just like putting new main and rod bolts in?

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

I think I'm gonna be spinning to 7200. Cam is lairy and loves to rev.
235/239 .629/.623

ARP hardware makes sense to me. But I've been thinking about it as a massive S54 I suppose.
Also yeah sump is baffled too for whoever mentioned. So sump is off anyways. Not that much of an effort to upgrade rod bolts.

What's this wpc stuff?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Turning your surfaces into golfballs.

Its micro dimpling, done so that your friction surfaces retain oil and other lubricants easier than a polished surface, but small enough so that they dont leak through.

Can even get a micro coating of molybdenum during the process. So your piston become engineered like bullet

Rigged Death Trap fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Nov 8, 2016

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

jamal posted:

Plus the WPC guy is this cool old Japanese dude in a little shop in Torrance.

Is that why MotoIQ likes it so much?

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
This is my favourite demo video of what the process achieves.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BF60s6LeQkI

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Is that why MotoIQ likes it so much?

Ha, yeah probably, also FXMD was using it and their driver Billy Johnson was writing articles about it.

I would offer it when rebuilding Subaru 5-speeds. Probably helps, is not very expensive.

jamal fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 8, 2016

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

As this thread goes further down the rabbit hole, I'll throw in something back a page or so ago -- you're putting in a new crate LS, right? Those motors take abuse, daily. They're not some precious snowflake BMW engine with a known failure mode.

Don't open it up just to replace one thing that you think needs to be stronger, as was mentioned before -- you very well may gently caress something else up.

Slap it in there and drive the gently caress out of it. It's a new Chevy V8. It'll take more abuse than you can give it.

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Yeah, just do an oil pan and an Accusump and go to town.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I agree, either do a full build on a rough used (cheap) engine, or buy a new one (with a warranty?) and just use it.

If you keep the fluids in it, have it running an appropriate map, and use it within its design parameters, it should be fine.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Oh well it's done now, let's all just hope for the best :mrgw:

I'll have a look into that wpc stuff. I assume there'll be a uk place since basically all motorsport is here.

I drank a beer and accidentally bought some wheels.

As far as street wheels go, I think I'd struggle to top these. Will refurb bronze or mag blue idk.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
That WPC demo is really cool, but if you're using lubrication, would a not-compressible fluid gain any benefits from that surface treatment?

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

kimbo305 posted:

That WPC demo is really cool, but if you're using lubrication, would a not-compressible fluid gain any benefits from that surface treatment?

Speaking as someone who worked in the R&D lab of a bearing manufacturer for a couple years... maybe!

No, seriously, past a certain level there's no good way to tell anything other than testing. Some poo poo that should work just doesn't, other poo poo does work and who knows why? Someone who'd been at it for 30 some years said that you could spend a whole career analyzing any single specific material combination, so I'm sure as hell not going to guess. I wanted to, but never had a chance to have something treated with WPC and put it on a test rig, which is too bad.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
The best argument I've heard against rebuilding an engine that is running fine is that you're essentially resetting the bathtub curve of reliability by doing so. If everything works out then potentially you're moving forward the other end of the tub by some considerable miles, but you're also putting the engine back into the early failure zone.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Mocked up a dummy engine!
Sits very very very far back!
Am I technically mid engined now? 🤔

Aaaaaaaaaaaa :mrgw:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Will it still go that far back when built up with heads etc?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Isn't the front-mid sperglord argument something about the front of the crank being behind the front wheel centerline?

Either way that's way the hell back. Should make servicing anything on the accessory drive (and cam swaps) easy.

TWSS
Jun 19, 2008
Have you done the rear subframe reinforcement? Redish motorsport in bristol created the procedure we use and it is very good. Please have it done because if you have not your arse end looks like this

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

IOwnCalculus posted:

Isn't the front-mid sperglord argument something about the front of the crank being behind the front wheel centerline?

I will only accept if the entire short block is behind the wheel centerline.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

kimbo305 posted:

The crank snout protrudes a bit from the shortblock, so that'd actually be further forward :v:

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

kimbo305 posted:

The S2000 is like this but I haven't seen a lot of people talk about it being mid-engined with any kind of seriousness. Not that I haven't seen that talk out there though.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

fknlo posted:

The S2000 is like this but I haven't seen a lot of people talk about it being mid-engined with any kind of seriousness. Not that I haven't seen that talk out there though.

Front-mid is a legit thing. Aren't most recent Corvettes?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I mean, it's a thing, in that some cars do have a noticeably further-back engine location compared to other front engined cars, and it is a definite benefit in polar moment terms, you can't argue with the physics.

But I find the existence of the term "front mid-engined", and debate over what does and doesn't count, to be rather inane.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

InitialDave posted:

I mean, it's a thing, in that some cars do have a noticeably further-back engine location compared to other front engined cars, and it is a definite benefit in polar moment terms, you can't argue with the physics.

But I find the existence of the term "front mid-engined", and debate over what does and doesn't count, to be rather inane.

Is it any worse than "rear engine" vs "rear mid-engine"?

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I'm sure when the Corvette or Viper engineers were doing their initial briefs on the design, everyone in the room perfunctorily nodded when the lead mentioned "front mid-engined" and then went about their business. If you're doing a two-seat sports car, you can afford the front deck length to put the motor behind the wheels and style as needed.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Front-mid BS aside drat that's far back, really nice. How will you be dealing with oil pan clearance? From what I've seen LS engines have a deep sump at the front of the engine which would be an issue similar to what I'm running into on my swap. If you can mount it back that far you might be able to get away with just chopping the subframe and squeezing in behind the steering rack.

Can I recommend dry sump :getin: Especially since LS pans and kits are all over eBay and comparatively cheap.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Raluek posted:

Is it any worse than "rear engine" vs "rear mid-engine"?
But "rear mid-engined" doesn't really mean anything if you don't recognise the terminology of "front mid-engined".

kimbo305 posted:

I'm sure when the Corvette or Viper engineers were doing their initial briefs on the design, everyone in the room perfunctorily nodded when the lead mentioned "front mid-engined" and then went about their business.
This is kind of where I'm coming from. The problem I have with the term is it's the kind of thing that turns up on forums and from the wrong kind of car people at meets as "No, but you see, it's better than [car x] because it's not front engine, it's front MID engine, as they tried to get more of the weight behind the front axle AND FURTHERMORE"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
Eh. Just say the engine is far back enough you can feel the engine in your balls and the weigh distribution is better than your mom's.

• Locked thread