Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

well why not posted:

People criticise the series for the same gameplay, when they should be criticising it for the same gameplay and story.

If it wasn't a turbowank version of a Tom Clancy story, it just wouldn't be the same.

Hint most cod players dont even select single player

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Zombie mode from Infinite Warfare encapsulates everything wrong with AAA:

"It's got zombies as a selling-point for the fifth time in the series!"
"We bothered to get the voice and likenesses of these actors you know for vanity reasons!"
"It's like 80's-retro man!"
"There are loot boxes and micro-transactions! Try not to get into the gambling scene and disappoint your dog."

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Hint most cod players dont even select single player

Since that is the case, what is the draw for people to buy a new game every single year? We played Quake 3 for ten years straight. What "new" things are they bringing each time around that entices people to renew their games? I just can't imagine there's a great deal that needs refining. I've been told this, but since I don't play any of these games I can't really say, but does it really seem like they whip up a quick and dirty single player campaign solely for the excuse of selling a new game, instead of just adding new multiplayer content?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

credburn posted:

Since that is the case, what is the draw for people to buy a new game every single year? We played Quake 3 for ten years straight. What "new" things are they bringing each time around that entices people to renew their games? I just can't imagine there's a great deal that needs refining. I've been told this, but since I don't play any of these games I can't really say, but does it really seem like they whip up a quick and dirty single player campaign solely for the excuse of selling a new game, instead of just adding new multiplayer content?

The single players are actually pretty bombastic. I'd also argue that without them, even if the majority of cod players don't play it, they wouldn't buy the game due to a perceived lack of value. In terms of yearly updates they ad quite a bit between some versions such as the most event one being futuristic combat with some additional features with what that entails.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has there even been a Bethesda-dense sandbox, but with controllable vehicles in them, so you could just run over important NPCs by accident or by design?

Boiling Point and White Gold if barely-functional Russian jank counts as a game

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

yo rear end is grass posted:

Why do Argonians in the Elder Scrolls games have boobs? They are not mammals.

Because fantasy writing is dominated by males. Also who cares?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

credburn posted:

Well theyve captured the same thing that draws crowds of people to buy the new FIFA/Madden
Also yeah I guess the single player would justify the 60 dollar price tag. (Which is too goddamn high but they have a captive audience used to paying that much so its neber going down)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

credburn posted:

No, the single player campaigns usually have a lot of effort and thought into them.

The draw to buy the new game is that other people are going to buy it, so you should too, because less people will probably be playing the older one. Gameplay wise: new weapons, new balancing, sometimes new gamemodes, new maps, an overall different setting, refined mechanics, and a whole new game that starts you at level 0 so you can climb the ranks again. For games that are pretty standardized, cod/battlefield have a lot that changes between installments. I'd argue that it's the genre that doesn't change, not the games themselves.

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
black ops 3 is a completely different beast compared to modern warfare 2.

I used to do knife builds in mw and mw2 and it was super easy on some maps to pick off campers. everyone is so mobile in blops3 and there's special abilities for each class. everyone can be wallrunning n gunning and switch to bows for quick kills and then slide underneath some crawlspace for cover. I played a map at someone's house for half an hour and felt like an old man trying to hack it with some nimble as gently caress kids.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

Perestroika posted:

So, against my better judgement I tried to new Call of Duty, and goddamn those fuckers can't write a new plot to save their lives. I mean, it's still CoD so I'm not exactly expecting subversive high literature, but it's just so painfully generic. The game is set hundreds of years in the future, so they had the freedom to do basically anything, but they went with the same old poo poo but ~in space~. You're fighting for the Earth faction which is basically space USA, against Mars, who are Space Russia/China. The Martians have foreign accents, show a casual disregard for their soldiers' lives, execute civilians wherever they attack, and started the war with a dastardly sneak attack pretty much because they hate Earth for their freedoms. It's so goddamn blatant and on the nose that it borders on parody. For the first half hour I was almost expecting some big twist with an unreliable narrator, exposing everything up until then as Earth propaganda and instead putting you in with the scrappy underdog martians or something.

Why would they bother making a fresh, original story? I would say that everybody knows that every COD game is all but a carbon copy of the previous one, and they are nearly guaranteed to turn a profit if they stick with the tried and true, not to mention angering the bizarre people who keep buying this series.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
I've always figured the "Why does X have boobs" thing had a more underlying answer than the obvious one:

We're Homo Sapiens, and one of our key traits is that our female's breasts are in front and more overt than in other species. So from that, breasts are basically biological pink bows: you want to tell someone This Person Is A Woman, you give her a rack. We've been doing it since we were cavemen with rock carvings, for fucks sake.

It's lazy to do with non-human species like Argonians, but it's an understandably lazy thing. It taps into thousands upon thousands of years of :biotruths:, minus the gross stuff.

MisterBibs has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Nov 10, 2016

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Well theyve captured the same thing that draws crowds of people to buy the new FIFA/Madden

Updated rosters?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Yeah except they update their speculative military fiction as opposed to their people.

Heres an idea
Captain price as a villain

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Yeah except they update their speculative military fiction as opposed to their people.

Heres an idea
Captain price as a villain

Price maybe, but his facial hero would secede from him because it's a patriot.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

CJacobs posted:

...a whole new game that starts you at level 0 so you can climb the ranks again...

Call of Duty has levels?

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013
Just started playing Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell. Aside from the obvious flaw of having to play as Johnny Gat, one of the worst and dullest characters ever created, the flying controls are absolute loving garbage.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

credburn posted:

Call of Duty has levels?

Virtually every competitive shooter since 2008 or so has. And call of duty itself was doing it a lot earlier than that.

If you've never played a competitive shooter, these are not RPG-style levels where your shooterman gets more buff at shooting, mind you, it's just a number next to your name on the scoreboard that also controls when you unlock stuff, depending on the game.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

dordreff posted:

Just started playing Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell. Aside from the obvious flaw of having to play as Johnny Gat, one of the worst and dullest characters ever created, the flying controls are absolute loving garbage.

they hosed it up by making saints row 4 too good

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Saints Row 4 is the best Prototype game. It is the absolute worst open-world game.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

dordreff posted:

Gat out of Hell isn't great but once you get a few upgrades the flying is incredibly fun

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
Saints Row: Gat Out of Hell has one really baffling design decision: It has two playable characters (Kinzie and Johnny Gat) that you can switch between who are identical save for appearance and voice, however there is a set of collectibles on the map that you have to collect with both characters. They're at the same location and everything, I guess they just really wanted to make sure that after going to the trouble of recording two sets of lines for everything you heard both of them.

dordreff posted:

Flying gets a lot easier once you get some upgrades, I liked it from the get-go but once you've powered it up a bit zipping around the map without touching the ground feels super great.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

dordreff posted:

Play as Kinzie then. And flying in that game is amazing. I wish there were more collectables so I'd have more stuff to fly around grabbing.

RNG
Jul 9, 2009

dordreff posted:

I played it co-op and by the time we'd finished it I still didn't really understand the flying controls. I think the problem with the SR series (thematically) is that they accidentally created one of the greatest lovely ripoff games of all time with SR1, realized what they were doing, and have been playing up the comedy element ever since.

Also I skipped from like page 3 in this thread where everyone was angry about DA:O/DA2 but the final boss in DA:O killed everyone but the dog and then the dog was able to fire the ballistas and that made it all worth it.

Captain Lavender
Oct 21, 2010

verb the adjective noun

RNG posted:

Also I skipped from like page 3 in this thread where everyone was angry about DA:O/DA2 but the final boss in DA:O killed everyone but the dog and then the dog was able to fire the ballistas and that made it all worth it.

I wish there was a way for that to be a canon ending.

Hawke: Barkeep, do you have any news?
Barkeep: The Hero of Ferelden is still a good boy, yes he is a good boy.

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Action Tortoise posted:

black ops 3 is a completely different beast compared to modern warfare 2.

I used to do knife builds in mw and mw2 and it was super easy on some maps to pick off campers. everyone is so mobile in blops3 and there's special abilities for each class. everyone can be wallrunning n gunning and switch to bows for quick kills and then slide underneath some crawlspace for cover. I played a map at someone's house for half an hour and felt like an old man trying to hack it with some nimble as gently caress kids.

This is how I feel about the new Titanfall. I'm usually mid-scoring, so not great not terrible. But it feels like I'm a slo-mo soldier fighting with a bunch of methed-out teenagers. I'm getting older, so maybe twitch games are a thing of my past, but jeez it's getting ridiculous. Maybe they should divide multiplayer up by age groups for us grandpas.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016

dordreff posted:

Don't worry, you'll only have to deal with it for about two hours. Then the game ends.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RNG posted:

I played it co-op and by the time we'd finished it I still didn't really understand the flying controls.

You hold the shift key and point the mouse in the direction you want to go. What part of that is confusing you?

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I got as game called Dangerous Golf in the newest Humble Bundle and it's kind of incredible that could gently caress up a golf game in such a fundamental way: there is no control over the power of your swing, whether a traditional power meter or a PGA Tour-style swing with the control stick. You just press forward on the left stick and it automatically launches with the same amount of power each and every time.

Also the game has an obnoxious tutorial video narrated by a You Don't Know Jack wannabe that plays on startup that is almost 10 minutes long and is completely unskippable, the Steam page is plastered with negative reviews citing it and yet they've done nothing to fix it.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Humble Bundle had a trash game for morons in it, color me shocked.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Digirat posted:

Virtually every competitive shooter since 2008 or so has. And call of duty itself was doing it a lot earlier than that.

If you've never played a competitive shooter, these are not RPG-style levels where your shooterman gets more buff at shooting, mind you, it's just a number next to your name on the scoreboard that also controls when you unlock stuff, depending on the game.

those unlocks ARE your shooterman getting more buff at shooting though essentially. It's more horizontal growth than vertical growth for sure but the most powerful weapons are loked at the back end of the progression for sure

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

Elfgames posted:

those unlocks ARE your shooterman getting more buff at shooting though essentially. It's more horizontal growth than vertical growth for sure but the most powerful weapons are loked at the back end of the progression for sure

This is far from the rule in a well-designed game. Call of duty 4 started you with the MP5, M16 and AK47, some of the best weapons in the game, while the last gun you unlocked was the MP44--WWII gun that was almost objectively worse than the AK47. In rainbow 6 siege you unlock operators in whatever order you want and their available weapons come with them, and it does not take long to get all the non-DLC operators. So it doesn't take long in that game for your level to just become a number next to your name.

Can't comment on the recent CODs because that series has become cancer, but it wouldn't surprise me if they started putting the most powerful stuff at the end since apparently they finally stooped to P2W microtransactions or something

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Elfgames posted:

It's a problem that all games with a bajillion guns and a leveling-up system face, really. Either you vary up the weapons and end up with ones that everybody uses because they're objectively better, or you keep them all relatively the same and people get bored because the guns have no variation besides how they sound when you fire them. It's a losing proposition in general.

Max Payne 3's multiplayer has a ton of weapons but all you ever saw back in the day was people using dual pistols because they fire as fast as you can pull the trigger and they have no accuracy bloom, or the mini-30 because it kills in one shot to the body unless you're wearing the heaviest armor. Dual pistols you have almost immediately, and the mini-30 you get pretty soon after.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 07:32 on Nov 11, 2016

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Digirat posted:

Can't comment on the recent CODs because that series has become cancer, but it wouldn't surprise me if they started putting the most powerful stuff at the end since apparently they finally stooped to P2W microtransactions or something

iirc for Battlefront the last gun you unlocked was a pistol that fired as fast as a pistol would fire but had the same damage as the anti tank rifle. If you bought the special edition or something like that you started with that pistol unlocked.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Guy Mann posted:

I got as game called Dangerous Golf in the newest Humble Bundle and it's kind of incredible that could gently caress up a golf game in such a fundamental way: there is no control over the power of your swing, whether a traditional power meter or a PGA Tour-style swing with the control stick. You just press forward on the left stick and it automatically launches with the same amount of power each and every time.

Also the game has an obnoxious tutorial video narrated by a You Don't Know Jack wannabe that plays on startup that is almost 10 minutes long and is completely unskippable, the Steam page is plastered with negative reviews citing it and yet they've done nothing to fix it.

My understanding is that they originally didn't even have a tutorial when it was first released and the game was almost completely impossible to play because it was so unclear as to what you were supposed to actually do.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I think in Vexx I'm finished with the 5th level, The Depths. I'm not going to bother with the 100 heart shards or the 6 bottles because the level is annoying to navigate due to being shattered into tiny mini levels. I got 80 of the heart piece things, then had to go to the volcano or the hydroenging thing, and went to the volcano as it was easier. Got to 97 shards, got stuck in a damage cycle after accidentally falling into a fire trap and being unable to escape and when it respawned me after losing the life it had reset the counter to 0. Tried again a few times but navigating The Depths is just too annoying. It also feels less cohesive, the setpieces don't feel like they belong. They feel like things from cut levels, like a couple of pirate themed challenges and the aforementioned volcano, because there is little to do with water in the level. It feels thrown together. Especially because the world is a small hub with, like, 6 side rooms that each have a heart challenge in them, it makes it feel piecemeal.

Weird Sandwich
Dec 28, 2011

FIRE FIRE FIRE hehehehe!
The Resident Evil 4 PS4 port has subtitles listed in the options menu, but they are greyed out and never selectable. What the hell? Why even have the subtitle option visible if it isn't implemented?

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

Weird Sandwich posted:

The Resident Evil 4 PS4 port has subtitles listed in the options menu, but they are greyed out and never selectable. What the hell? Why even have the subtitle option visible if it isn't implemented?
I think they're just for different language options or something, which is strange but I believe that's how its always been in RE4. I agree they shoulda hid the option though since if your game is in english it's just there to taunt you.

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The Zombie mode from Infinite Warfare encapsulates everything wrong with AAA:

"It's got zombies as a selling-point for the fifth time in the series!"
"We bothered to get the voice and likenesses of these actors you know for vanity reasons!"
"It's like 80's-retro man!"
"There are loot boxes and micro-transactions! Try not to get into the gambling scene and disappoint your dog."

Things dragging COD down: the fact that it has somehow made it to 27 separate iterations of the same goddamn concept with very little change between each new iteration, and yet nerds still turn out in droves to buy it. Apparently the newest COD is in space, but still uses the same loving engine from COD 4.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

A White Guy posted:

Things dragging COD down: the fact that it has somehow made it to 27 separate iterations of the same goddamn concept with very little change between each new iteration, and yet nerds still turn out in droves to buy it. Apparently the newest COD is in space, but still uses the same loving engine from COD 4.

The newest cod has the most interesting and unique premise that a game in the series has had in almost 10 years now. But it got a ton of complaints for not being the same exact game again, which makes me sad. Gamers are the thing dragging down cod.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Action Tortoise
Feb 18, 2012

A wolf howls.
I know how he feels.
eh, I'm not too bummed out with cod. it's one of those annual franchises like ea sports or asscreeds before they decided to go on hiatus. people are happy with them.

I think shooters should really focus on whether they wanna make good single player/coop experiences or be competitive multiplayer esports and not have to split their resources just to cater to every possible audience.