Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
I have that gun now; got it from murdering naval frigates to make the pirates love me.

Now, I have no idea why I did this, aside from now having more places to sell things that don't matter and see a buncha missions which piss everyone off but none to murder the other pirates for some reason.

Still, it's a neat game though it woulda been better if they'd have stolen a bit more from AC4 and added, like, a mortar at least. I can deal with ramming just being a bad mod and no boarding, because I remember the absolute horror that was in the X games, but not having a dedicated slot for missiles and poo poo is very irritating, especially when you can only have two turret weapons chosen as far as I can tell. (Which means I guess I gotta get rid of my mining laser if I wanna use the ion thing to knock down shields)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Is that space game on a 2d plane or a 3d one? I'd try it but I'm a complete pussy with any game involving strategy instead of tactics, and usually go settle for RPG-progression fare.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Is that space game on a 2d plane or a 3d one? I'd try it but I'm a complete pussy with any game involving strategy instead of tactics, and usually go settle for RPG-progression fare.

It's entirely on a 2d plane. Fighters/small ships can fly around freely but any of the ships you pilot are restricted to just 2D movement. It's definitely more of an RPG game than strategy/tactics. You get a ship, do missions for money, use money to buy upgrades and/or bigger ship.

My complaint about Rebel Galaxy is that you can't carry or launch fighters/bombers or anything like that. You can recruit mercenaries that use the small ships but only have one of them at a time.

Away all Goats has a new favorite as of 23:15 on Nov 8, 2016

Feonir
Mar 30, 2011

Ask me about aquatic cocaine transportation and by-standard management.
It is basically a navel game set in space.

You get 3 weapon types.

Broadsides (those turbo lasers, 15 of em on that ship, on the sides. Watch how the white beam turns orange, that is the guidance system for the lasers charging.)

Turrets (can be anything from lasers, mining lasers, flak cannons, missile launchers too I think? And are usually computer controlled and fired as you use broadsides)

and a secondary defense system, in my ships case it is an EMP Flak system that disables the little ships, they look tiny but some of them pack a seriously deadly punch especially when it is gunboats launching Anti cap ship missiles.

Defensive systems are a shield layer (It recharges), ablative hull layer (It does not) and then finally hull damage, individual pieces can be targeted too but there is little need for pin point accuracy when you throw hot fiery death at one another.

There is also an overshield mechanic which stops all damage at the cost of being unable to fire, charge or lock on weapons, and has its own meter that runs dries, and jump jets for quickly dodging missiles and positioning your ship.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Deceitful Penguin posted:

The only game of theirs I've played from what I remember is Ni no Kuni, which was really dragged out towards the end and had a very dull alchemy system.

It really is a wonder how many games gently caress that up. Either it's slow and irritating and not worth it or just way better than anything else and you're gimping yourself by not using it.

Ni No Kuni sucked because unless you set your ally AI on "never use mana" they'd completely blow through their pool 1/3 of the way through the first random encounter you came across. Then you had to go through the dull alchemy system to make restoratives.

The way you recruited monsters was also terrible. Any time you beat one there's like a 2% chance you'd have the opportunity to recruit. So if you're unlucky you might have to kill hundreds of the monster you want before you can recruit it.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

The Moon Monster posted:

The way you recruited monsters was also terrible. Any time you beat one there's like a 2% chance you'd have the opportunity to recruit. So if you're unlucky you might have to kill hundreds of the monster you want before you can recruit it.

They re-used this wonderful system for their bizarrely popular game Yo-Kai Watch.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

food court bailiff posted:

They re-used this wonderful system for their bizarrely popular game Yo-Kai Watch.

"Pokemon, but worse" is still a pretty solid game I guess. (disclaimer: I have not played Yokai Watch)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

That's pretty much it, except it takes place in the "real world" as opposed to wherever Pokemon is. It's saccharine-sweet enough to give you cavities and the characters are all adorable but then you see a new monster and frantically guess at which obscure item you can toss him to make his .5% capture rate turn into a 1.5% capture rate and when he inevitably doesn't join your party you swear like a sailor IRL.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
i bet you dont even gnomey

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
I could tolerate the poo poo AI in Ni No Kuni but god the capture mechanics were the absolute worst. World of Final Fantasy's is so much better, letting you meet conditions to make monsters viable for capture, and in fact perform them multiple times to make them even more susceptible.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Unless I'm completely missing something you cannot see how a fight is currently going in Battlefield 1, which has been leading me to join matches just to instantly get a loss added to my statistic right as the map loads. If I saw that one side was only 5 points away from winning I would hold off on joining.

princecoo
Sep 3, 2009
I think that's the point, though.

Otherwise you'd have stat obsessed poo poo-eaters refusing to join any game that was currently looking bad for one team, so if anyone rage quit you'd end up with a downward spiral where one side would lose players with no-one replacing them.

I have not played BF1 but I imagine there is the standard auto-balance teams thing when you join? If so you'd have Team 1 with 20 players with a 60% chance of winning at current trend, and team 2 with 14 players with a 40% chance to win, and dickheads looking at those odds and deciding not to join because their precious Win/Loss ratio could get ruined.

If they don't know, and join, a full 20 vs 20 match could easily get the tide turned for a thrilling victory (or hards fought and equally thrilling loss) instead of a lovely curb stomp.

Edit: I still agree you should get some idea of what is happening in the match though, because I too hate joining a match to immediately lose (or win) because that means I have to wait longer for a new match to start. There should be a way to indicate the expected time until the match is over so you don't join an almost finished match.
gently caress, what am I saying. You'd have to define "almost finished" and you'd still get dickheads worried about their W/L ratio who don't want to chance joining a match late.

princecoo has a new favorite as of 08:03 on Nov 9, 2016

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe
Rogue Galaxy was surprisingly difficult/grindy for me, and I'm 80% sure I was missing some key truths about the gameplay or something.

I can't even really give any specific examples because it's been a long time since I've played it. I'd grind the poo poo out of missions (having to restore my backed up save file because a mission that was supposedly really easy was a death sentence, or fast travel would get interdicted by a hostile fleet, or whatever) until I could upgrade a weapon or two, and repeat half a dozen times until the next Main Quest wasnt telling me it was Very Hard any longer.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

spit on my clit posted:

Dragonball Xenoverse 2's pc port is a game that is held together with twigs and unchewed bubble gum. the game hard locks whenever I flip through the PQ menu, it'll crash sometimes when i do my X combo or get hit a few times, i've verified the game cache plenty of times, nothing's ever been out of place.

Are you playing online? Every time I've been in a multi-lobby the game turned into a shitshow. Go into a single lobby? Zero issues.

You know what though, since we're talking about level-5 games I've got to say. They all suffer from the same problem.
They're boring as poo poo.
I never beat Ni No Kuni or Rogue Galaxy because I got so bored of the dull and tedious gameplay halfway through.
White Knight Chronicles was really awkwardly made because it felt like they were trying to bank mostly on the online, because the story was kind of poo poo and if you played more than one play through when the game expected you to then every story mission aside from the titular white knight sections was over in a single hit and you learned to hate playing as the knights. But the online was also poo poo because everyone only ever rushed one mission to grind exp fast and never learned how to play the game or geared up and would just gently caress up and die on every other mission when they weren't accidentally loving up missions because the objectives to properly complete missions were really dumb bullshit like going through it three times to talk to one super secret butterfly and killing only one enemy the whole time. Also we flat out never got a ton of other missions :shrug:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

princecoo posted:

I think that's the point, though.

Otherwise you'd have stat obsessed poo poo-eaters refusing to join any game that was currently looking bad for one team, so if anyone rage quit you'd end up with a downward spiral where one side would lose players with no-one replacing them.

It'd be nice if backfills didn't count as losses on your record, though. They used to in Overwatch until fairly recently and it sucked for the exact reason Leal said.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Besides it being recorded in your statistic, its also a waste of time. It can take my rig a bit to finally load a map, so I sit and wait until that finally happens, play for 5 seconds and get slapped with a loss, then have to wait even longer for the post game overview then have the game load the next map.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

You know what'd be even better?

Not recording stats in a player-viewable way at all.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Lone Badger posted:

You know what'd be even better?

Not recording stats in a player-viewable way at all.

Sorry bout your lame k:d bro

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Why do Argonians in the Elder Scrolls games have boobs? They are not mammals.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

yo rear end is grass posted:

Lizard magic, I assume.

(The real answer is fanservice, but whatchagonnado)

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

yo rear end is grass posted:

If you want the lore answer:

Basically:

But you know the actual answer in your heart already.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
Jacking it to Lizards, a thing Bethesda created that we didn't know we wanted to do.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

The Hist created Argonians by mutating small lizards to make them more human-like (or Mer-like). They might have copied breasts as a cosmetic feature while not really understanding what they were for.

dordreff
Jul 16, 2013

RenegadeStyle1 posted:

Jacking it to Lizards, a thing Bethesda created that we didn't know we wanted to do.

Come on now, you know full well Bethesda did not invent jacking it to lizards.

bawk
Mar 31, 2013

dordreff posted:

Come on now, you know full well Bethesda did not invent jacking it to lizards.

Based off the lore, Bethesda only invented lizards polishing long-range weaponry

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

The real anzwer is because theyre lazy and didnt want to make more models, meshes and rigging.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Rigged Death Trap posted:

The real anzwer is because theyre lazy and didnt want to make more models, meshes and rigging.

If laziness were the true answer, they'd just have said that there's no sexual dimorphism in Argonians and used the same model for males and females.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Didn't they used to have different feet in morrowind then just dropped that idea because of how complicated it was to make different feet models for cat and lizards?

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Tiggum posted:

If laziness were the true answer, they'd just have said that there's no sexual dimorphism in Argonians and used the same model for males and females.

I mean, character models are a pretty central part of the game, unlike ladders. When people cut corners, they do so on non-essential stuff. Also I'm pretty sure creating additional models for Argonians was not much work at all, since the framework was already there, and all the armor meshes were already skinned, they just needed to move around some bones in the character rig for the most part, I think.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Tiggum posted:

And anyway, the 2D paper doll thing from Daggerfall featured boobie lizards, too.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Has there even been a Bethesda-dense sandbox, but with controllable vehicles in them, so you could just run over important NPCs by accident or by design?

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.
Red Dead Redemption is kind of a medium-GTA-dense sandbox game where you can run important people over on a horse, carriage, or train.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Just Cause 2 got around it by putting any NPC you interact with behind a door.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Has there even been a Bethesda-dense sandbox, but with controllable vehicles in them, so you could just run over important NPCs by accident or by design?

Uh, GTA?

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

So, against my better judgement I tried to new Call of Duty, and goddamn those fuckers can't write a new plot to save their lives. I mean, it's still CoD so I'm not exactly expecting subversive high literature, but it's just so painfully generic. The game is set hundreds of years in the future, so they had the freedom to do basically anything, but they went with the same old poo poo but ~in space~. You're fighting for the Earth faction which is basically space USA, against Mars, who are Space Russia/China. The Martians have foreign accents, show a casual disregard for their soldiers' lives, execute civilians wherever they attack, and started the war with a dastardly sneak attack pretty much because they hate Earth for their freedoms. It's so goddamn blatant and on the nose that it borders on parody. For the first half hour I was almost expecting some big twist with an unreliable narrator, exposing everything up until then as Earth propaganda and instead putting you in with the scrappy underdog martians or something.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Outside of some stuff in GTA V they don't really spawn in story NPCs outside of missions.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

That would not explain why the argonians had breasts in both arena and daggerfall.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
Jesus Christ man I'm at work

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Perestroika posted:

So, against my better judgement I tried to new Call of Duty, and goddamn those fuckers can't write a new plot to save their lives. I mean, it's still CoD so I'm not exactly expecting subversive high literature, but it's just so painfully generic. The game is set hundreds of years in the future, so they had the freedom to do basically anything, but they went with the same old poo poo but ~in space~. You're fighting for the Earth faction which is basically space USA, against Mars, who are Space Russia/China. The Martians have foreign accents, show a casual disregard for their soldiers' lives, execute civilians wherever they attack, and started the war with a dastardly sneak attack pretty much because they hate Earth for their freedoms. It's so goddamn blatant and on the nose that it borders on parody. For the first half hour I was almost expecting some big twist with an unreliable narrator, exposing everything up until then as Earth propaganda and instead putting you in with the scrappy underdog martians or something.

People criticise the series for the same gameplay, when they should be criticising it for the same gameplay and story.

If it wasn't a turbowank version of a Tom Clancy story, it just wouldn't be the same.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It's not technically a Tom Clancy story despite having Tom Clancy's name attached, but the Division is the first of "his" games where the enemy isn't a foreigner. Unless you're a Polygon reader the primary antagonists are white and American, with their easy upbringing being an explicit reason behind why they snapped and went crazy - turns out coasting through life as a future's trader and assuming you're the smartest guy around leaves you unprepared for civilian casualties and things not going your way. :v: