Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

zh1 posted:

There used to be decent posters here, but they were all banned for questioning Obama. There wasn't a toxx or anything like that, it was straight up d&d mods banning people for raising leftist concerns. It was vile. And what's left is the detritus we're witnessing here in this thread

The mods in cspam in the lead up to election were poo poo. Things haven't changed much. Probations for anti Americanism and challenging hillbot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PKJC
May 7, 2009

zh1 posted:

D&d has been dead since 2011 at the very least and if you disagree with that statement then you are a very big part of the problem and shouldn't be gnashing your teeth here but should be trying to educate yourself just a little bit

Nice opinion friend but that's all that that is. I do miss LF tho.
e: not commenting on current moderation because I don't know wtf other than multiple times FAU has had to deal with some lovely posters in here because all the mods were away/asleep, are they all EU or something maybe?

PKJC fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Nov 11, 2016

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

zh1 posted:

There used to be decent posters here, but they were all banned for questioning Obama. There wasn't a toxx or anything like that, it was straight up d&d mods banning people for raising leftist concerns. It was vile. And what's left is the detritus we're witnessing here in this thread

I got probated two days ago when the results were coming in and I was saying bernie would have done a better job lol.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

mcmagic posted:

There is no plus side. It's going to be very ugly.

The plus side is that I get to watch the neoliberal wing of the Democratic party writhe and burn for the next 8 years.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

PKJC posted:

Nice opinion friend but that's all that that is. I do miss LF tho.

Your opinion is just like your opinion man

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?
If this forum (and thread, specifically) have a problem, it's being generally too white and not very responsive to the very real concerns of minorities in general beyond an intellectual level, understandable though that may be. It's definitely not "being insufficiently leftist," and the person who called anyone who voted for Clinton against Trump terrible people, even subhumans, is a pretty laughable person to be lecturing us all to get educated about how dead this forum is

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice

readingatwork posted:

This got me thinking. If Donald was smart he'd immediately move to abolish the Electoral college. It would simultaneously make him insanely popular, give him a real legacy with little effort, and perfectly troll the Dems by forcing them to either praise him or look like huge assholes and hypocrites by obstructing him.

I think the GOP would go proportional EV's before abolishing it. I think its a non starter even if Trump wanted it, like term limits.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

PKJC posted:

When there are posters telling minorities/women/LGBT people to put off their concerns in the interest of purely focusing on the economic issues because that's what the Trumpsters want to hear, yes, that is in fact bigoted. People in this and the election thread were doing as much. Egalitarian economic reform is good but telling marginalized groups they need to sit down and wait their turn before we listen to other issues is both not progressive and also probably not great in terms of turning out the base you have currently.

A lot of people are like Donnie coming in the middle of a conversation. They don't know the races or genders of the people involved. They're just coming in at the tail end and seeing anger in response to what out of context look like innocuous posts.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

PKJC posted:

When there are posters telling minorities/women/LGBT people to put off their concerns in the interest of purely focusing on the economic issues because that's what the Trumpsters want to hear, yes, that is in fact bigoted. People in this and the election thread were doing as much. Egalitarian economic reform is good but telling marginalized groups they need to sit down and wait their turn before we listen to other issues is both not progressive and also probably not great in terms of turning out the base you have currently.

well here's a fun idea: if you want to actually enact that sort of policy you have to win elections.

in order to win elections you need to have an economic platform that appeals to all of the working class

you can't do poo poo about the racists. shaming them will only entrench them.

but you can do something about the myriads of people who are more concerned about their economic situation. seems like a winnable strategy to me. certainly better than shedding millions of voters by not reaching out to them, appealing to them, and chastising them constantly for party purity.

zh1
Dec 21, 2010

by Smythe

RaySmuckles posted:

this election certainly brought it down quite a bit. its been a pretty toxic place.

and to think, election time used to be one of the most fun times in this place. pretty sure the 2012 obama election threads birthed uspol thread. can't quite remember.

regardless, there used to be some fun poo poo going down during the elections. this year it was awful. …something awful???

i haven't read the forum since 2011 or so just to check in and confirm that it was completely neutered but like i said, it was never great due to the preponderance of libertarian nerd trash but it used to be at least lively. too bad the admins wanted it dead and chose mods that ruined it forever

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

PKJC posted:

Who is actually saying we need to ignore minorities? Honestly I think most goons are probably in agreement about the Democrats failure to reach to the working class and how they need to reform, but are just talking past each other because everyone's still emotional about the loss.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

readingatwork posted:

The plus side is that I get to watch the neoliberal wing of the Democratic party writhe and burn for the next 8 years.

That's a weak plus side when part of the ugliness is the possibility of watching your loved ones writhe and burn for ~30 seconds.

:smith:

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

RaySmuckles posted:

well here's a fun idea: if you want to actually enact that sort of policy you have to win elections.

in order to win elections you need to have an economic platform that appeals to all of the working class

you can't do poo poo about the racists. shaming them will only entrench them.

but you can do something about the myriads of people who are more concerned about their economic situation. seems like a winnable strategy to me. certainly better than shedding millions of voters by not reaching out to them, appealing to them, and chastising them constantly for party purity.

Do you think you can campaign against voter suppression without alienating rural white voters you are simultaneously attempting to curry?

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

If people got purged because of their ideology, it's bullshit even if they are literal nazis.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Mantis42 posted:

Who is actually saying we need to ignore minorities? Honestly I think most goons are probably in agreement about the Democrats failure to reach to the working class and how they need to reform, but are just talking past each other because everyone's still emotional about the loss.

They're understandably hesitant because "economic justice for all" has in America historically meant "economic justice for all white people"

PKJC
May 7, 2009

greatn posted:

A lot of people are like Donnie coming in the middle of a conversation. They don't know the races or genders of the people involved. They're just coming in at the tail end and seeing anger in response to what out of context look like innocuous posts.

This is true and I'm trying not to be combative in my tone towards people who aren't themselves the ones who started that poo poo. But that attitude has to be snuffed out because letting it lie just makes it okay for further quashing of the discussion of concerns of minorities that aren't ~no war but class war~.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

zh1 posted:

no seriously, every decent poster was banned for bullshit

When you post in a toxx thread during an election, you usually get banned when your candidate loses.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

The fact that people seem to suggest that being an economic populist means that you are anti minority or can't address their concerns is loving mind boggling.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

WhiskeyJuvenile posted:

So manufacturing jobs aren't coming back, but if Congress gives Trump he infrastructure bill they wouldn't give Obama, that's a ton of construction jobs

And of course they could have done that at any time over the past six years but that would have made a Democrat look good

gently caress unity

These fuckers deserve poo poo

I am honestly curious if the Republicans can do anything. Not legally. I mean can a congress that did nothing even when Republicans controlled the senate and house actually accomplish anything? It is easy to be against Obama and just be a sour piss baby about everything, but actually planning and doing poo poo is a lot harder. I don't think Republicans can create a big infrastructure project or build a giant wall. That poo poo is not easy.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkopath posted:

Do you think you can campaign against voter suppression without alienating rural white voters you are simultaneously attempting to curry?

You can campaign on multiple issue, you know.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

If people got purged because of their ideology, it's bullshit even if they are literal nazis.

ahahahahahaha

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Crowsbeak posted:

You can campaign on multiple issue, you know.

I was speaking specifically of the alienation aspect.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Holy poo poo, Michael Moore or his lookalike is on cnn

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Because I believe more rural voters support these measures as protection against voter fraud than you might think.

Deadly Ham Sandwich
Aug 19, 2009
Smellrose

Monaghan posted:

The fact that people seem to suggest that being an economic populist means that you are anti minority or can't address their concerns is loving mind boggling.

I would have no issues with Trump if he was running on economic populism. I would be ok with him if he only occasionally said racist poo poo. But that didn't happen. His stump speech promoted xenophobia. He even assured a scared Muslim woman by telling her all his plans for stomping extremist Islamic terrorism and chastising Muslims for not turning in enough terrorists in their communities.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Odobenidae posted:

ahahahahahaha

If you purge them, you can't reach out to them in any way.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

Sharkopath posted:

Because I believe more rural voters support these measures as protection against voter fraud than you might think.

Don't a lot of these voter suppression methods affect white rural poor for the same reasons?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I am honestly curious if the Republicans can do anything. Not legally. I mean can a congress that did nothing even when Republicans controlled the senate and house actually accomplish anything? It is easy to be against Obama and just be a sour piss baby about everything, but actually planning and doing poo poo is a lot harder. I don't think Republicans can create a big infrastructure project or build a giant wall. That poo poo is not easy.

They've already got plenty of model bills drafted for them by ALEC or Heritage or whoever; they've been fake-passing them in the House for six years now. The only thing that changes from here on out is that many, if not most, if not all of those bills are now going to start making it to President Trump's desk.

e: and honestly IMO this is the biggest horror of a Trump presidency. The appointments are very very bad, the repealing of all Obama's executive orders is horrendous, but Trump himself pales in comparison to the fact that he represents a rubber stamp for the entire pent-up malevolence of a lockstep Republican congress. The only hope here is that they don't stay lockstep.

Quorum fucked around with this message at 04:53 on Nov 11, 2016

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
OK, so after digesting this for a few days, I'm not happy Trump won, but it's not the idea of Trump with the Presidency that disturbs me as much as the utter loving scum being put in his Cabinet. These are people so loathsome they were rejected as unsuitable by loving Republicans. Think about that a moment.

Trump campaigned as a change candidate, and now that he's won and there's nothing anyone can do about it, why not hope he might actually change some poo poo for the better? Maybe the fact he's not an orthodox Republican might actually be a good thing!

This is what I was telling myself when I heard Ben Carson's name mentioned as a possible Cabinet secretary. Newt Gingrich for Secretary of State. Rudy Giuliani as Attorney General. Sarah Palin!

What I expect from the change candidate is to staff his Cabinet with a bunch of has-been Inside Politics types, for sure. I mean, who screams change like that snivelling little ghoul Newt Gingrich? This is the EXACT SAME MISTAKE Obama made, getting elected as a change guy and then, completely and totally because of his inexperience, calling in the same kind of political and financial insider types to staff his Cabinet (note: HILLARY CLINTON) and they turned his possibly truly transformative Presidency into a pretty standard centrist corporate Democratic administration. I'm genuinely afraid the same thing is about to happen to Trump. His chance to actually change things is going to vanish if he surrounds himself with a bunch of old, tainted politicians and half-wit grifter morons like Sarah Palin and Ben Carson. Maybe you Trumplings will pick up on this and start screaming it at him. Every single name in his Cabinet should be someone we've never heard of before, not these toxic, already-compromised political corpses.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Zeeman posted:

Don't a lot of these voter suppression methods affect white rural poor for the same reasons?
Some do of course, but they are mostly and specifically designed to be targeted against urban centers of minority democratic voters.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Mantis42 posted:

The problem I am speaking to is not posters saying "Dems need to ignore minorities" but rather posts that have been directed at posters who are minorities saying they were somehow at fault for this result for not reaching out to and educating and coddling the feelings of racist whites. People were victim blaming minorities for allowing Trump to happen because they don't want to interact with the people who would rather see them dead, I think it is plain why that is an unreasonable view that needs to be stomped on and rejected as bigotry.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Sharkopath posted:

It's not their most important issue by a long shot. Give them a job and their kids an education and they'll stop giving a poo poo about bullshit made up by Fox.

Or at least some of them will.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

disjoe posted:

It's not their most important issue by a long shot. Give them a job and their kids an education and they'll stop giving a poo poo about bullshit made up by Fox.

Or at least some of them will.

If you got data to that effect thats good to hear.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I've been around since before 9/11. You know what changed D&D . We got older and smarter. It was never a conservative fantasy land or even a Libertarian paradise , it's always skewed straight white male but over time SA has developed a transgender community , a lgbt community etc..

This notion that all good posters left or got banned is kind of dumb. Get archives and look at some of the dumb poo poo people said self included.

The forums overall has just gotten older and more educated.

Morzhovyye
Mar 2, 2013

Rated PG-34 posted:

If you purge them, you can't reach out to them in any way.

Only time I would want to reach out to a literal Nazi is with my fist. Not sure what the liberal obsession is with converting nazis through :awesome: logical arguments online is.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

Quorum posted:

They've already got plenty of model bills drafted for them by ALEC or Heritage or whoever; they've been fake-passing them in the House for six years now. The only thing that changes from here on out is that many, if not most, if not all of those bills are now going to start making it to President Trump's desk.

I'm actually kind of happy Obamacare is going to die. It wasn't that great of a bill in the first place (it accomplished little while giving the false impression of fixing the healthcare crisis) and killing it opens the way for an actual single payer system.

Iron Lung
Jul 24, 2007
Life.Iron Lung. Death.

JonathonSpectre posted:

OK, so after digesting this for a few days, I'm not happy Trump won, but it's not the idea of Trump with the Presidency that disturbs me as much as the utter loving scum being put in his Cabinet. These are people so loathsome they were rejected as unsuitable by loving Republicans. Think about that a moment.

Trump campaigned as a change candidate, and now that he's won and there's nothing anyone can do about it, why not hope he might actually change some poo poo for the better? Maybe the fact he's not an orthodox Republican might actually be a good thing!

This is what I was telling myself when I heard Ben Carson's name mentioned as a possible Cabinet secretary. Newt Gingrich for Secretary of State. Rudy Giuliani as Attorney General. Sarah Palin!

What I expect from the change candidate is to staff his Cabinet with a bunch of has-been Inside Politics types, for sure. I mean, who screams change like that snivelling little ghoul Newt Gingrich? This is the EXACT SAME MISTAKE Obama made, getting elected as a change guy and then, completely and totally because of his inexperience, calling in the same kind of political and financial insider types to staff his Cabinet (note: HILLARY CLINTON) and they turned his possibly truly transformative Presidency into a pretty standard centrist corporate Democratic administration. I'm genuinely afraid the same thing is about to happen to Trump. His chance to actually change things is going to vanish if he surrounds himself with a bunch of old, tainted politicians and half-wit grifter morons like Sarah Palin and Ben Carson. Maybe you Trumplings will pick up on this and start screaming it at him. Every single name in his Cabinet should be someone we've never heard of before, not these toxic, already-compromised political corpses.

You forgot about Bobby Jindal for HHS Secretary. I cant tell if you want Trump to actually change anything, because the fanfic you wrote implies not much will get done which honestly sounds amazing.

PKJC
May 7, 2009

Deadly Ham Sandwich posted:

I would have no issues with Trump if he was running on economic populism. I would be ok with him if he only occasionally said racist poo poo. But that didn't happen. His stump speech promoted xenophobia. He even assured a scared Muslim woman by telling her all his plans for stomping extremist Islamic terrorism and chastising Muslims for not turning in enough terrorists in their communities.

Oh yeah that reminds me, in the midst of all this misery and grieving and soul searching let's not forget that our president elect literally advocated war crimes and 60 million people are a-ok with that. But Hillary was for sure the one baying for more blood.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Sharkopath posted:

Do you know them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spotlessd
Sep 8, 2016

by merry exmarx

Hollismason posted:

I've been around since before 9/11. You know what changed D&D . We got older and smarter. It was never a conservative fantasy land or even a Libertarian paradise , it's always skewed straight white male but over time SA has developed a transgender community , a lgbt community etc..

This notion that all good posters left or got banned is kind of dumb. Get archives and look at some of the dumb poo poo people said self included.

The forums overall has just gotten older and more educated.

Well there's educated and there's informed. The latter group was banned for arguing with evilweasel.

• Locked thread