Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chucat
Apr 14, 2006

Do you only mean Civ 6 or just Civ games in general?

Sullla did a bunch of really cool text and video stuff for Civ 4, and you can learn a lot about the game by reading it, though you might need to cross reference the odd thing with a wiki.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

boar guy
Jan 25, 2007

I can't think of anything more boring than watching someone else play Civ

Fhqwhgads
Jul 18, 2003

I AM THE ONLY ONE IN THIS GAME WHO GETS LAID

Efexeye posted:

Past the early game, yeah, but in the first 100 turns or so it really helped me figure out how to play effectively.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Efexeye posted:

Watching Trump (... the youtuber) playing MP is rather entertaining, IMHO.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Efexeye posted:

The idea of watching anyone play anything is boring as gently caress. I guess I'm old because why would you want to spend an hour watching a youtube when you could read it in ten minutes?

sesh
Aug 19, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm1CQxACekg

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
I killed off an AI to get my spy back. You don't get the spy back. :(

EoRaptor
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Sanctum posted:

I killed off an AI to get my spy back. You don't get the spy back. :(

Spying seem really broken. The text that says a spy will protect adjacent districts seems to be not true, or at least has a reduced chance.

Never give spies back to the AI. I used to, but I'd capture a spy, trade it back, then capture the same spy again in a turn or two trying the same thing. The deployment time restrictions don't seem to apply to a returned spy, and I rarely need the gold or amenities at that point in the game, so screw the AI.

Also, when I get a trade request for a spy before I get the notice of a spies capture is also always fun. There needs to be at least a one turn delay there.

Periodiko
Jan 30, 2005
Uh.

Rahul posted:

One thing I've noticed that with terrain being more difficult to move through, is that a hell of a lot of movement points on units end up getting wasted by units who end a turn with one movement left that they are unable to use. This really disproportionately affects melee units in particular, and makes the effective movement cost of the terrain even higher than its already large nominal value. I wonder if you'd be able to fix a lot of the issues of unit movement being a slog by simply letting units carry over unused movement points for one turn (excepting units that didn't move at all, of course). This should still let terrain be a factor in deciding where to move units, but might help the game flow a bit better

I really wonder if you made every infantry unit have 3 points, and every cavalry unit have ~5 if it would be fun, stay balanced, and if the AI could cope.

I kind of want to make a mod with fast movement and stronger (earlier) unit stacking. I'm curious if stuff like that just breaks the AI though, or if it could figure out how to use it. I know nothing about Civ modding or even where to start. I wonder what you'd do to scouts, 4 movement seems a bit much for plains but who knows.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

Periodiko posted:

I really wonder if you made every infantry unit have 3 points, and every cavalry unit have ~5 if it would be fun, stay balanced, and if the AI could cope.

I kind of want to make a mod with fast movement and stronger (earlier) unit stacking. I'm curious if stuff like that just breaks the AI though, or if it could figure out how to use it. I know nothing about Civ modding or even where to start. I wonder what you'd do to scouts, 4 movement seems a bit much for plains but who knows.

Being able to unit stack up to 3 at the get go seems like a good idea because it'll make you make a meaningful choice between having a larger, less good army or a smaller, better army. It's an OK mechanic as it stands but with the AI the way it is you hardly get any advantage out of your triple stacked units since they outclass the AI's by two eras anyway.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Efexeye posted:

There are some luck-based cheevos that even if you're deliberately trying to get them, could possibly never happen, like making Crater Lake and Yosemite in to national parks in one game, or the one for Leonardo, Michaelangelo and Donatello all being in New York. Hurry and get your Immortal win before they make the AI even stronger, though!

Already had Pizza Party and Trans-Siberian Railroad before using this dude's save files.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037394229/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=289070

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

WTF? There's an actual edge of the map? I can't move my scout to the right.
What technology lets me keep exploring?

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

WTF? There's an actual edge of the map? I can't move my scout to the right.

Give in to the pain.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
In old Civs there was a map option like that, guess there still is and guess you accidentally clicked it?

It's mainly used for historical maps.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

Huh, I guess you're right. The Inland Sea map apparently is a flat world. Good to know. I don't mind it I guess, though it'll change how I approach my expansion.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

"Continents" map also has borders.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

enraged_camel posted:

"Continents" map also has borders.

Does it? I'm pretty sure I circumnavigated the world in my Continents map game.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
The constellations background for flat maps is really cool and also sets off my acrophobia something fierce.

Gyra_Solune
Apr 24, 2014

Kyun kyun
Kyun kyun
Watashi no kare wa louse

Efexeye posted:

If they're fast enough it is usually fine. MadDjinn tends to fly through the game pretty fast and he's usually trying to pull off some crazy scheme (and usually demonstrating how bad the AI is, seriously they're not doing basic things like 'using their cities and encampments' ranged attacks' or 'attacking unprotected civilian units', or demonstrating major flaws, like how if you have five relics in Kongo's palace and are allied with Kandy, you're getting something like 1000+ faith a turn off that).

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
There should be an "obtain all steam achievements immediately" button in the main menu, because it seems a surprising number of players want to put in literally zero effort :rolleyes:

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I use the achievements as a checklist for all the Civs, maps, and difficulty levels. It's nice to get the kookier ones but I don't stress over those, it's not like you get a platinum on Steam or anything

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one
Bear with me for more spychat. I just captured my own spy.

That's my spy. Captured in my capital city. The other notification is telling me the spy I stationed in my capital captured a german spy. Good work!!! I captured an aztec city (not the last) that my spy was on a mission in so he 'fled to my capital' and was captured by one of my own spies. That makes 2 spies I can't use at all. To be clear, I'm germany and there is no other germany in the game.

:siren::psyduck::siren:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Khagan posted:

Already had Pizza Party and Trans-Siberian Railroad before using this dude's save files.

http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198037394229/myworkshopfiles/?section=guides&appid=289070

Now I want to download all kinds of save files to see what the game looks like when other people play. I get so stuck in my "must improve cities and tiles" mindset that there are big chunks of gameplay I never see.

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

Sanctum posted:

That's my spy. Captured in my capital city. The other notification is telling me the spy I stationed in my capital captured a german spy. Good work!!! I captured an aztec city (not the last) that my spy was on a mission in so he 'fled to my capital' and was captured by one of my own spies. That makes 2 spies I can't use at all. To be clear, I'm germany and there is no other germany in the game.

Have you asked yourself for a trade? :v:

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Sanctum posted:

They were obviously double agents.

Khagan
Aug 8, 2012

Words cannot describe just how terrible Vietnamese are.

Peaceful Anarchy posted:

B.o.B was right and Neil Degrasse Tyson was wrong!!!

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler

Fhqwhgads posted:

I find leaving ANY AI alive after I start my murdertrain to be more harmful than good. Last game I had a tight continent with Greece to the west, France/Arabia to the north, and China to the far north. Arabia provoked me early so I rolled him with Archers/Horse, but out of laziness I decided to stop there and try to play a peaceful game (with France touching my new borders and all three of them hating my guts for being a warmonger). You can guess how long a 'peaceful' game lasted.

I don't think I've ever finished a game where I wasn't the only civ left alive on my continent.

Lol tell me about it. I was playing as Barbarossa and was good friends with Peter the Great. Montezuma, who'd previously denounced both of us, attacked Peter one turn. Thinking to help him out, I moved my own forces into place and, a few turns later, declared war on Montezuma myself. Peter was absolutely outraged and denounced me... for declaring war on the civilization who'd denounced us both and then invaded him.

I'm liking the game but the diplomacy is beyond hosed right now.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
I know Firaxis aren't ones for quick patches but has there been any mention at all regarding what will be fixed, future plans, or anything at all regarding this game?

Ogdred Weary
Jul 1, 2007

A is for Amy who fell down the stairs
I would be happy if a solid patch came out before Christmas. I need something to relax with for the holidays.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Leinadi posted:

I know Firaxis aren't ones for quick patches but has there been any mention at all regarding what will be fixed, future plans, or anything at all regarding this game?

Absolutely nothing at all.

Inspired by a thread on civfanatics what civs do people think need buffing? Right now I feel like unique improvements are terrible and just not worth building at all so any civ with one is a bit weaker than it should be.
And Spain really needs a buff to founding religions.

Taear fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Nov 11, 2016

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Yeah, Spain's in the position Byzantium was in in Civ 5 - bonuses to religion, but nothing to actually help them get one.

The Norwegians are kinda weak. Their bonuses are nice, but highly situational. (might be bugged, too, I was able to attack their embarked land units at sea with my land units)

Egypt's pretty weak, not a lot going for them - their chariots are expensive and don't benefit from the +100% production for cavalry units policy, sphinxes are not exactly inspiring, and bonuses to wonders next to rivers isn't much.

-----

Most of the rest of the civs are either middling (EG: India, France), good (Aztecs, Greeks), extremely good (Germany) or bonkers (Scythia). To decide what's overpowered you'd have to decide where you want the power level to be. Scythia and Germany I'd say are the biggest offenders - Scythia's ridiculous, but Germany could probably be brought down to merely "good" if industrial districts weren't a must-get for every city in the game.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Gort posted:

The Norwegians are kinda weak. Their bonuses are nice, but highly situational. (might be bugged, too, I was able to attack their embarked land units at sea with my land units)

Egypt's pretty weak, not a lot going for them - their chariots are expensive and don't benefit from the +100% production for cavalry units policy, sphinxes are not exactly inspiring, and bonuses to wonders next to rivers isn't much.

The Vikings go along with England as civs that you'd only play on a coastal map. The Berserker shares a path with the Knight and is noticeably weaker than it as well. I feel they're easily the weakest civ.
The problem with England is that even on continental maps I'm barely building any naval units, that might just be me though. Since you can have a city that isn't coastal but can still build a navy it means naval units are back to civ4 levels of useless.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Taear posted:

The Vikings go along with England as civs that you'd only play on a coastal map. The Berserker shares a path with the Knight and is noticeably weaker than it as well. I feel they're easily the weakest civ.
The problem with England is that even on continental maps I'm barely building any naval units, that might just be me though. Since you can have a city that isn't coastal but can still build a navy it means naval units are back to civ4 levels of useless.

England's strength isn't in its naval units, it's in the ridiculous amounts of money you can pull in. A unique harbour district means it takes half as long to get an extra trade route from each city (though not buildable in every city).

I also like a mid-game conquest spree, redcoats are powerful and getting a free one every time you conquer a city is a nice snowball on the road to domination.

They're definitely a lot better than Norway.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Taear posted:

Inspired by a thread on civfanatics what civs do people think need buffing? Right now I feel like unique improvements are terrible and just not worth building at all so any civ with one is a bit weaker than it should be.
And Spain really needs a buff to founding religions.

Scythia has a unique improvement though :v: Having a bad unique is fine if the others are strong, or even if just one is strong enough. Like Scythia. The improvement is bad and the unit isn't anything to write home about either. But the ability is enough to make Scythia broken.

Haven't tried China yet but they seem pretty good too in addition to the others that have been mentioned.

Taear posted:

...So really good in multiplayer? There are probably less coastal cities around than in V, but there will still be some for the extra housing if nothing else since 2 base housing is just crippling early game. And they're still useful for attacking cities settled one hex off the coast, though you'd need to land a land unit to capture the city.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

China would be better if wonders were less bad.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Sanctum posted:

Rupert just wasn't cut out to be a spy. Never trust anyone Rupert.

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Gort posted:

China would be better if wonders were less bad.

Specifically, certain Ancient and Classical Wonders seem like they need a buff. Great Library went from one of top wonders in Civ 5 to nearly garbage tier now. Ironically, it's actually a better wonder for a Culture victory since it gives you spots to put those Works of Writing in. The mid-game are mostly fine to good, the late-game wonders are good if you are going Cultural (since basically all of them are for that).

Unique improvements are definitely weak compared to unique districts. I think Russia has shown that the value of just having a unique district at all (in the half-cost, does not take a district slot up sense) is ridiculously good even if the "unique" bonus isn't anything worth writing home about. Whereas a unique improvement sacrifices other potentially good district/improvement spots, requires a pop to work it, and the yields are never that good. Sure, they provide yields you don't get from terrain normally, but the need for hammers is so high that you basically just want your citizens working as many mines/lumber-mills as you can, with as many farm triangles as necessary to support them and grow. The gold/culture/faith yields that unique improvements provide are just better to get from districts that don't need population to work them. Unique buildings are in the middle, since they aren't as good as districts, but they don't require population to get their boosts.

I have to assume that Scythia will be nerfed somehow though. I'm sure the gold-selling exploits will be fixed in general for sure, since those are plainly broken. Not sure how to change Scythia's ability to spam horse units out though. Maybe an internal counter so you get a bonus cavalry unit for every two made? They might nerf the policy card down to +50% boost instead of +100% instead.

Gully Foyle fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 11, 2016

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Staltran posted:

Scythia has a unique improvement though :v: Having a bad unique is fine if the others are strong, or even if just one is strong enough. Like Scythia. The improvement is bad and the unit isn't anything to write home about either. But the ability is enough to make Scythia broken.

...So really good in multiplayer? There are probably less coastal cities around than in V, but there will still be some for the extra housing if nothing else since 2 base housing is just crippling early game. And they're still useful for attacking cities settled one hex off the coast, though you'd need to land a land unit to capture the city.

I'm not saying having a unique improvement makes a civ bad. Just that the improvements are generally poo poo. Scythia would be even more insane if their unique improvement actually did anything.

In 5 you can win a whole game on some maps with just boats. It's harder in this. I don't play competitive multiplayer so I wouldn't know if they're good there.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Harald just complimented me on my strong navy. I don't have a single ship, much less a harbor or even a city on the coast...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

enraged_camel posted:

Harald just complimented me on my strong navy. I don't have a single ship, much less a harbor or even a city on the coast...

I wonder if neither of you have any ships, so your navy is equal to his, and he respects that.