Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Princess Di posted:

I see where you are coming from and I really want to agree with you.

But when people say, hang black mannequins from their trees on Halloween while simultaneously supporting Trump, that paints a certain picture for me.

I am willing to believe though, that good people out there made a mistake simply because they did not take Trump seriously on half of what he said but liked the other half where it seemed he was speaking directly to them.

This is something that is possible and even likely to me. How else did part of Obama's coalition vote for Trump?

How loving typical that a white middle class Democrat sees a few edge cases of vocal racism and applies that behavior as being indicative of a large swathe of largely unrelated people.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Venom Snake posted:

If she gets the dems +1 seat in congress it will actually be useful. I won't complain until she starts trying to ruin other peoples time.

Nope. NOPE NOPE NOPE NOPE.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Venom Snake posted:

Dude factory work is not kind to your body. It's not degrading to say we shouldn't be forcing people to ruin their health. There are plenty of ways we can help them that aren't trying to turn back the clock to pre-automation times. Part of the anger they feel comes from the fact that they know they are eating poo poo compared to how others are living and it pisses them off hence kamikaze president.

Well "maybe we'll train you guys with some college degrees, and perhaps West Virginia will become a coding Mecca!" is a really loving stupid idea.

Besides that the current Democratic platform is "get a degree and move out" or "ignore them until they die in 30 years". These people are desperate for help and we can 100% help them without sacrificing a single loving thing that Democrats believe in.

Even if this election was a landslide, why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do that?

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Hilario Baldness posted:

When your two biggest surrogates (Bill, Obama) are people that have pushed politics that have made capital flight easier and have led to people lose manufacturing jobs and your message consists of, "We need to build on the economics that these two progressives have done," good luck rallying people to vote for you.

I understand.

It's like how do we tell people that tech is why they don't have jobs and where we failed them was in higher education.

That higher taxes on the rich will allow us to invest in them, give them a mandatory income, healthcare, furthered education and the ability to open the door to the middle class.

Like why can't we just say that yo these people. Why did no one say that?

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.

also working on a basket of deplorables gang tag

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That kind of attitude where you are willing to paint a shitload of people with the same brush due to isolated individuals is why people claim the Democratic Party is also bigoted, btw.

Forming preconceptions of people on their status in a group or minority or whatever instead of them as an individual is literally what it means to be racist.

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Lastgirl posted:

It will be sticking around, there will be new rules and guidelines.

I dig this~ :beerpal:

:dance:

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

Fiction posted:

never mind the Democrats aren't going to learn anything

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

jesus in heaven

i hope she doesn't even get chosen as the democratic senate candidate for her state

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Larry Parrish posted:

How loving typical that a white middle class Democrat sees a few edge cases of vocal racism and applies that behavior as being indicative of a large swathe of largely unrelated people.

I'm not a white middle class democrat and I think its fair told hold Trump and anyone who voted for him responsible for any racist poo poo going down right now. Even if they aren't racists themselves they supported a candidate who's rhetoric was not only racist, but encouraged acts of violence against minorities.

Also I am going to be a democrat in the future and I'm going to attach myself to everything democrat I can get near like a disgusting loving leech and call out anyone who thinks even just a little bit of racism is ok with the most vulgar nonsense imaginable. Thank Trump for that too.

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Well, Hillary didn't work out but a somehow even less charismatic version of Hillary is sure to succeed

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

loving really? Government run plants to build solar panels and windmills, or government run research labs and local clinics are gonna be asbestos filled hellholes? That's your loving retort to the federal government giving shat on poor people jobs?

These people don't want a slightly larger check to spend at Walmart #7918. They want a job they feel proud of, and they want to spend their paychecks at local businesses. Liberals have a giant list of things they want done from climate change action to research to improved healthcare. So why the gently caress shouldn't we slap a giant government facility into every one of these desperate counties to make massive amounts of jobs and do some loving good for mankind at the same time?

Many of those jobs are almost entirely automated and require training. I agree with you that it will need to be a federal program but I have no idea if it's even feasible to build a high tech manufacturing base out of nothing spread across rural America. You know why I talked about asbesto filled hell holes? Because low tech factory work employees a poo poo load of people (hence Chyna, Indonesia, ect) but it's not clean. Many of these jobs left America because of necessary enviro regs. I absolutely agree we need clinics, green energy, and all of that. I'm just worried that automation is going to make focusing on factories pointless.

Oh Snapple! posted:

she will absolutely ruin other peoples time because she is a clinton

Probably. Still I'm not going to sins of the father someone. If she proves to not be a shithead that will be good. If shes a poo poo head

Fiction posted:

Can't wait to help primary her lol

This

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Cubey posted:

jesus in heaven

i hope she doesn't even get chosen as the democratic senate candidate for her state

She'd get ripped to shreds in the NY State Senate.

Jenner
Jun 5, 2011
Lowtax banned me because he thought I was trolling by acting really stupid. I wasn't acting.

KIND OF A KIM DEAL posted:

If you are actually truly that serious about American politics then maybe instead of balloon-pulling other good people having harmless fun and de- compressing during off-hours while don't you get off your computer and go accomplish something real and positive instead of just sitting on your rear end and D&D posting faux-intellectual garbage on a comedy web subforum?

But doing stuff and getting involved involves doing stuff and getting involved. :effort:

No but seriously I have been encouraging my liberal friends to get involved and have been looking into my options as well.

It's just really hard to feel hope and mobilize. We need a leader or something I guess. How did the Tea Party do it? :sigh:

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Venom Snake posted:

If she gets the dems +1 seat in congress it will actually be useful. I won't complain until she starts trying to ruin other peoples time.

i mean if they just put her in a plum, safe seat (of course they would) it's not a +1, it's just a legacy handout to an untalented candidate that could have gone to someone with potential

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Cubey posted:

jesus in heaven

Her hubby works for Goldman Sachs. She's definitely going to be mentioned.

The Remote Viewer
Jul 9, 2001

Larry Parrish posted:

That kind of attitude where you are willing to paint a shitload of people with the same brush due to isolated individuals is why people claim the Democratic Party is also bigoted, btw.

Forming preconceptions of people on their status in a group or minority or whatever instead of them as an individual is literally what it means to be racist.

I guess you could say we're the 'real racists'?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Vox Nihili posted:

i mean if they just put her in a plum, safe seat (of course they would) it's not a +1, it's just a legacy handout to an untalented candidate that could have gone to someone with potential

and that doesnt even begin to consider the only sure thing she actually brings to congress: banking handouts

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Larry Parrish posted:

I'm not white.

For most of my life I was not middle class.

Now I'm only barely so.

I'm a leftist that's true.

I'm led to believe that those who voted for Trump may have been racist because Trump used specifically and intentionally racist dog whistling to drum up support. The evidence of this is in the endorsement by David Duke of the KKK.

When a majority of people voted for him, I sincerely believed that it was proof the United States did not value people like me.

This is me trying to come to grips with learning whatever lessons can be learned from this election.

I literally avoid the south due to racism, also small towns and the dark alleys in said small towns. I'm not trolling here Im just talking about how I navigate the world.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Nonsense posted:

Her hubby works for Goldman Sachs. She's definitely going to be mentioned.

I forgot about this :lol:

It never ends with them.

Also, Liz Warren sucks. That interview was terrible and the fact that she's ok with hearing out Dean is just gross as hell.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Doorknob Slobber posted:

I'm not a white middle class democrat and I think its fair told hold Trump and anyone who voted for him responsible for any racist poo poo going down right now. Even if they aren't racists themselves they supported a candidate who's rhetoric was not only racist, but encouraged acts of violence against minorities.

Also I am going to be a democrat in the future and I'm going to attach myself to everything democrat I can get near like a disgusting loving leech and call out anyone who thinks even just a little bit of racism is ok with the most vulgar nonsense imaginable. Thank Trump for that too.

You're working pretty hard to keep missing the point.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Well "maybe we'll train you guys with some college degrees, and perhaps West Virginia will become a coding Mecca!" is a really loving stupid idea.

Besides that the current Democratic platform is "get a degree and move out" or "ignore them until they die in 30 years". These people are desperate for help and we can 100% help them without sacrificing a single loving thing that Democrats believe in.

Even if this election was a landslide, why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do that?

It's not even about college in a lot places dude. Many rural area's have <30% or <40% High School graduation rates. It's not about making more coders. It's about giving people a good loving education they deserve to have.

Vox Nihili posted:

Then she will get primaried. There is no love left for the Clintons. Even the establishment people here in D.C. are furious with them.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

Princess Di posted:

I see where you are coming from and I really want to agree with you.

But when people say, hang black mannequins from their trees on Halloween while simultaneously supporting Trump, that paints a certain picture for me.

I am willing to believe though, that good people out there made a mistake simply because they did not take Trump seriously on half of what he said but liked the other half where it seemed he was speaking directly to them.

This is something that is possible and even likely to me. How else did part of Obama's coalition vote for Trump?

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Identity politics is a neoliberal plot to distract and discredit progressives and stop people from uniting under common ground of economic distress and instead have them focus on fighting with each other over retarded poo poo like primary languages or melanin content

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Doorknob Slobber posted:

THIS. IS. WHY. WE. HAVE. TRUMP. AS. PRESIDENT. ELECT. RIGHT. NOW.

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

I'm about 8 pages behind so I hope this isn't a repeat:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/hillary-clintons-vaunted-gotv-operation-may-have-turned-out-trump-voters_us_582533b1e4b060adb56ddc27

quote:

The media have made much ado about the absence of a real Trump organization on the ground in the states, but has largely failed to interrogate the hype around the Clinton campaign’s ground operations. As the post-election day hangover wears off, an examination of the mechanics behind the Clinton’s get out the vote efforts ― reaching out to Clinton voters in key states at the door, on the phone or by text messages ― reveals evidence of what appears to be a pretty shocking truth. Clinton volunteers were inadvertently turning out Trump voters. Possibly in significant numbers.

Volunteers for the Clinton campaign in Pennsylvania, Ohio and North Carolina have reported that when reminding people to vote, they encountered a significant number of Trump voters. Anecdotal evidence points to anywhere from five to 25 percent of contacts were inadvertently targeted to Trump supporters.

Voter targeting is not a new idea, but over the past few cycles electoral field organizing has become intoxicated by the concept of using “big data” to microtarget voters. Just like Amazon knows what to show you on their front page based on your past purchases, the idea goes, campaigns should be able to predict who their voters are based on past voting behavior and other commercially available data that can be matched on the vote file. In the avalanche of stories and books about Obama’s two victories, commentators have credited microtargeting as a major factor in his success ― in our opinion, mostly unjustifiably.

The problem is the lack of actual data. General election voting choices are of course secret. Only a relatively small number of primary voters’ partisan choices are public record, and not in all states. The much-hyped commercial data, upon closer examination, is either not useful or simply not available for most voters. Most targeting choices are not micro, but macro, such as targeting African Americans or young people. When you’re winning by a large margin, as Obama did both times, you can’t go wrong with such choices. When you’re losing, however, certain macro-targeting choices amount to doing your opponent’s GOTV work for them.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Also, despite being a Hispanic living in an area where typically, Mexicans are seen as outsiders seeking to destabilize the agricultural work, I'm not actually afraid of my fellow man because I'm not a retarded racist liberal who has been led to believe by Twitter that fearing others is natural

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Fiction posted:

never mind the Democrats aren't going to learn anything

If this is the attitude everyone on the left takes we are 100% hosed. Educate them. Make them need you. They are desperate for an answer right now.

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/796947478893490177

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Larry Parrish posted:

Also, despite being a Hispanic living in an area where typically, Mexicans are seen as outsiders seeking to destabilize the agricultural work, I'm not actually afraid of my fellow man because I'm not a retarded racist liberal who has been led to believe by Twitter that fearing others is natural

my dude :respek:

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

LmaoTheKid posted:

Also, Liz Warren sucks. That interview was terrible and the fact that she's ok with hearing out Dean is just gross as hell.

Sounded to me like she clearly favored Ellison and was just being polite towards Dean. Seems kind of silly and counterproductive to go after Warren for something as minor as that.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Princess Di posted:

I literally avoid the south due to racism, also small towns and the dark alleys in said small towns. I'm not trolling here Im just talking about how I navigate the world.

So literally, a bubble. Like I get that it's easy for me to say that, and there are actual dangers. but you have to come to grips with the fact that you can't just wall off yourself from vast swaths of land and people because of some narrative you've been fed and expect to ever even sort of understand the world at large.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Venom Snake posted:

Dude factory work is not kind to your body. It's not degrading to say we shouldn't be forcing people to ruin their health. There are plenty of ways we can help them that aren't trying to turn back the clock to pre-automation times. Part of the anger they feel comes from the fact that they know they are eating poo poo compared to how others are living and it pisses them off hence kamikaze president.

This is still really pissing me off because it's exactly why you idiots lost to the loving orange idiot king. I give you an idea to both help poor people who have been loving savaged by the capitalist class and also fight climate change / advance scientific research / help exploding healthcare costs and you loving hand wave it away.

These people are dealing with the only loving factory in town being gone for 15 loving years, and they've voted in the orange idiot king because at least he promised to punch you in the nose because he swears you caused this. Nebulous ideas about "giving people the education they deserve" isn't going to do jack poo poo for the dude who used to work in the factory but is now unemployed.

Building a factory there today - a factory built to the latest safety standards - sure beats the poo poo out of "well maybe we'll pay for half of your two year degree and just hope someone hires in your area".

Deimus
Aug 17, 2012

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

They can build solar loving road factories for all I care, just build poo poo in these communities that desperately need jobs

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Venom Snake posted:

If this is the attitude everyone on the left takes we are 100% hosed. Educate them. Make them need you. They are desperate for an answer right now.

You just said you're ok with another Clinton being a +1 D in the house and she's married to a GS finance bro.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Jenner posted:

But doing stuff and getting involved involves doing stuff and getting involved. :effort:

No but seriously I have been encouraging my liberal friends to get involved and have been looking into my options as well.

It's just really hard to feel hope and mobilize. We need a leader or something I guess. How did the Tea Party do it? :sigh:

They were quite literally funded and organized by republican billionaires to reach the point we got to on Tuesday.

So...y'know, if Buffet and Gates and Musk and Soros wanted to, they could fund a group who went into inner cities and depressed white communities to do outreach, education, and organizing. You wouldn't have to pay me hardly anything, just a roof over my head, food, and a safety net and I'd spend my life going from town to town in rural Indiana and agitating the poors.

No war but class war.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

I think I'm a socialist now :trumppop:

Princess Di
Apr 23, 2016

by zen death robot

Larry Parrish posted:

Identity politics is a neoliberal plot to distract and discredit progressives and stop people from uniting under common ground of economic distress and instead have them focus on fighting with each other over retarded poo poo like primary languages or melanin content

When you and your people get disrespected and even shot by police on a regular basis, discussing racism is not a theoretical problem. It's a very real issue that needs attention too.

We have to deal with poverty across the board. We also have to allow our citizens to live in a safe environment as full citizens.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

LmaoTheKid posted:

THIS. IS. WHY. WE. HAVE. TRUMP. AS. PRESIDENT. ELECT. RIGHT. NOW.

actually not taking a stand against racist piles of trash is the exact reason we have trump, thanks for playing. Vote chealsea 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

VOTE YES ON 69 posted:

I think I'm a socialist now :trumppop:

Welcome friend.

• Locked thread