Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

CIGNX posted:

aw poo poo, is Yoo Jae Suk a scumbag as well? I always thought he was one of the few celebrities in East Asia that wasn't terrible in some way.

He is terrible, in that his shtick of pretending to be shocked/amused/befuddled/bested or confused by scripted events got old 30 seconds after he was on TV. His entire act is a Just for Laughs skit where everyone is in on the joke and they also forgot to do a joke, and then they just talk about the premise of the joke for another 35 minutes while pretending it was going to be funny.

If I had to describe him and his situation to someone who has never been to Korea, I would say it's like someone decided that Jay Leno's show should be on TV 8 hours a day, every day and not only that, but every 3rd commercial should be him plugging his show or some product he is endorsing. Also his face should be plastered on at least 15% of all physical advertising in the entire country.

I don't know if his media presence is still as overpowering as it was from 2006-11, but that's when I was getting bombarded by that bird-faced granny, and it was sort of unnerving to be almost literally unable to escape his dead gaze for even a minute.

Grand Fromage posted:

They are American 13/14. This is a size that just doesn't exist over here and is hard to find even in the US. The initial double-take at my clown shoes is fine, I get it. There's a good chance they've never seen a foot of such magnitude. The continued staring, though.

My wife's relatives were shocked to see how big my shoes were when I took them off during a family function and left them at the entrance way, and they're just US 11.5/12 (depending on the brand). I had to shop around for a very long time to find a pair dress shoes for the wedding, and the only ones I could squeeze into were a pair of slip-on ones. In Korea, e-mart seemed to stock up to 12 US on pretty much all men's shoes, but Korean guys are generally much taller than Chinese guys.

:mad:

Actually, it's more of a cute term for penis, so it's why they usually use it to refer to a baby's. 고추 (pepper)

Blistex fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

"No No Not like that....Thats just silly"

Haier posted:

Back on thread topic:

Why does she have my great aunt Emma's shirt?

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

They are American 13/14. This is a size that just doesn't exist over here and is hard to find even in the US. The initial double-take at my clown shoes is fine, I get it. There's a good chance they've never seen a foot of such magnitude. The continued staring, though.

My feet are about the same size and yeah, I got noticed here in America for having big feet.

Or people laught at the size of your shoes.

One time I in Indonesian some children borrowed my shoes and used them as kayakas

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Jimmy Little Balls posted:

Where do you get shoes? Just wait til you're back in the US and stock up?

Yep, or ask family to send me a pair if I'm desperate. This vacation I'll be swinging through Korea and can pick up a pair at the shops in Itaewon that cater to soldiers. I've never even bothered going into a shoe store in China.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Today is Single's Day and I guess there's a collective "OMG, I AM SINGLE :( :(" thing going with tons of people. From last night and today I have been tested in the exact same way by all of my main women, who I guess read some online article or something and wanted to try it out on me with nearly the same wording. "I want to tell you that I have been talking to someone else and I have decided that I will not see you anymore so I can go him from now on." No one expected me to say "Congratulations, I am happy for you that you have found someone for a relationship," because I know that's what several of them want and I am not going to stand in the way of that. Cue them getting angry and telling me they were checking to see how attached I am to them and how could I possibly be so calm and cool when they are talking about leaving and now I am so cruel to let them go and not fight for them. I told them they always have freedom to do what they want. Big butt-hurts and getting deleted.

Except for the BBW who only sent me a two-minute video of her sucking on a grape, they are all gone, even the Mongol. LMAO. It feels... really good. Like a clean slate. I hate tests, and I think it was funny that they all tried the exact same bullshit in the same time frame. It was like dominoes falling together. Women I haven't talked to in ages (weeks, lol) are messaging me all frantic that they don't want to be alone tonight. I told them all the same thing: I want to watch TV alone in my bed tonight. "How can you stand to be alone on Single's Day?"

I would like to thank whoever put that idea out there that testing someone on a day of desperation is a good way to backfire yourself into more loneliness.

Happy Single's Day, China.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

Except for the BBW who only sent me a two-minute video of her sucking on a grape...It feels... really good.

I bet

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Haier posted:

Today is Single's Day and I guess there's a collective "OMG, I AM SINGLE :( :(" thing going with tons of people. From last night and today I have been tested in the exact same way by all of my main women, who I guess read some online article or something and wanted to try it out on me with nearly the same wording. "I want to tell you that I have been talking to someone else and I have decided that I will not see you anymore so I can go him from now on." No one expected me to say "Congratulations, I am happy for you that you have found someone for a relationship," because I know that's what several of them want and I am not going to stand in the way of that. Cue them getting angry and telling me they were checking to see how attached I am to them and how could I possibly be so calm and cool when they are talking about leaving and now I am so cruel to let them go and not fight for them. I told them they always have freedom to do what they want. Big butt-hurts and getting deleted.

Except for the BBW who only sent me a two-minute video of her sucking on a grape, they are all gone, even the Mongol. LMAO. It feels... really good. Like a clean slate. I hate tests, and I think it was funny that they all tried the exact same bullshit in the same time frame. It was like dominoes falling together. Women I haven't talked to in ages (weeks, lol) are messaging me all frantic that they don't want to be alone tonight. I told them all the same thing: I want to watch TV alone in my bed tonight. "How can you stand to be alone on Single's Day?"

I would like to thank whoever put that idea out there that testing someone on a day of desperation is a good way to backfire yourself into more loneliness.

Happy Single's Day, China.

Pick up artistry with Chinese Characteristics.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Can someone explain singles day? It sounds like a holiday where someone's parents tries to guilt them into marriage. Apparently, Hollywood stars shill for Alibaba which makes billions also.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Jimmy Little Balls
Aug 23, 2009

Automatic Slim posted:

Can someone explain singles day? It sounds like a holiday where someone's parents tries to guilt them into marriage. Apparently, Hollywood stars shill for Alibaba which makes billions also.

Yeah it's basically just buy poo poo you don't need on taobao day.

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

It's a day for online shopping, with deals across all the major retailers, maybe it's because I'm in Shanghai, but I don't know anyone who sees it as any thing else than just shopping.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

It's Chinese Cyber Monday basically.

Automatic Slim
Jul 1, 2007

Ok. And is there any cultural significance to this day? "Just buy shut poo poo day"?

E: gently caress autocorrect.

Automatic Slim fucked around with this message at 13:07 on Nov 11, 2016

fish and chips and dip
Feb 17, 2010

Automatic Slim posted:

Ok. And is there any cultural significance to this day? "Just buy shut day"?

Chinese culture anno 2016 is just "buy poo poo" anyway.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Like all things in Asian culture it's a pun, but this is a visual one since 11/11 is four singles in a row, hence single's day. In Korea it's Pepero day (Pepero is the local ripoff of Pocky).

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
It started as a gimmick day to boost the number of transactions and get good reviews for a few small time stores. The ball started rolling and other stores started offering discounts as well to catch up with reviews.

Then it became a shopping day. Chinese internet users were making sarcastic jokes about being single that day (nov 11) and using the sale as shopping therapy. The internet sellers took on the meme and now it's reality.

But Katy Perry is not performing in China because of a family emergency (trump won).

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

In Korea it's Pepero day (Pepero is the local ripoff of Pocky).

Is Pepero day a serious national holiday or is it more like how 7/11 is Free Slurpee day here in the US?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Grand Prize Winner posted:

Is Pepero day a serious national holiday or is it more like how 7/11 is Free Slurpee day here in the US?

I mean it's not like a day off or anything but it's huge, I think something absurd like 40%+ of Lotte's Pepero sales are Pepero Day related. It's also one of Korea's 900 different Valentine's Days.

kimcicle
Feb 23, 2003

I was told that since the day is a bunch of ones (11/11) that it represents singles.

Then again I'm told I'm supposed to go buy Pepero and give it to my significant other. Because the sticks look like 1s.

e: f,b

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
In Australia and many other countries 11/11 is called Remembrance Day or Armistice and commemorates the signing of the Armistice agreement that ended World War 1.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
My Korean friends always tell me it's just a thing for teenagers, but then they get disappointed if nobody got them any

Grand Fromage posted:

I think something absurd like 40%+ of Lotte's Pepero sales are Pepero Day related.

i think this is because pepero (like pocky) is awful and without a dedicated holiday would fade into obscurity as some trash tier candy nobody cares about

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Grand Prize Winner posted:

the latter, plus a reason for your gf to bitch at your if you don't get her a giant box.

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Grand Fromage posted:

I mean it's not like a day off or anything but it's huge, I think something absurd like 40%+ of Lotte's Pepero sales are Pepero Day related. It's also one of Korea's 900 different Valentine's Days.

They should really call Valentine's Day, "get your boyfriend to drag around a camera tripod and a DSLR for 6 hours" day.

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax

Koramei posted:

My Korean friends always tell me it's just a thing for teenagers, but then they get disappointed if nobody got them any
This is me on my birthday. "I DON'T GIVE A poo poo ABOUT MY BIRTHDAY!!!" "Why is nobody wishing me a happy birthday?" :(

Haier
Aug 10, 2007

by Lowtax
Not sure what the outcome was, but here's some Chinese builder chabuduo in action. Don't watch if you don't like seeing a kids get hurt.

https://gfycat.com/PeacefulJubilantDolphin

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

Haier posted:

Not sure what the outcome was, but here's some Chinese builder chabuduo in action. Don't watch if you don't like seeing a kids get hurt possibly killed.

ladron
Sep 15, 2007

eso es lo que es

Haier posted:

Don't watch if you don't like seeing a kids get hurt.

never clicked anything faster

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Haier posted:

Not sure what the outcome was, but here's some Chinese builder chabuduo in action. Don't watch if you don't like seeing a kids get hurt.

:(

Is there a news story anywhere? I want to believe kiddo is ok, or at least not dead

champagne posting
Apr 5, 2006

YOU ARE A BRAIN
IN A BUNKER

sinking belle posted:

Is there a news story anywhere? I want to believe kiddo is ok, or at least not dead

CCTV1: door fit to spec, you only paid the lowest price for it, etc etc

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Has anyone else ever transferred through Beijing capital airport? Every time I fly through there I have to follow a lengthy and convoluted series of steps to get to my gate and I always freak out that I'm going to miss my (thankfully always delayed) flight. The staff are very friendly and helpful, but Jesus I shouldn't have to take a bus down the highway and go through customs twice to get from one international flight to another.

On the bright side of things, a boyish Chinese security man patted me down and I called him a cute boy in Chinese and made him VERY uncomfortable. All the other staff giggled at him and this measurably improved my travel experience.

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless

sinking belle posted:

I very much doubt the kid suffered any real injury from that

Bad luck is possible but that's not enough to do a kid in

Dicky mouse
Apr 11, 2008

Haier thank you for the story of owning the women testing you.

Its funny cause the sad fat 30 year old man who lives with his mother 3 houses down the street came up and spoke to me this evening. (we went to highschool together)

I told him about two relationships I had where there were tests and I learned that its best to just fail them on purpose.

Explained its like if a teacher gave you a paper with 4 + 4 =? on it and you write "gently caress"

because if you try to handle it well they just up the difficulty until you do fail, and then hold it over you.

Fun story

I was a lee lad in his early 20's I was living in Aichi Japan, with a 40 year old (REDACTED) women, no she wasn't Japanese.

I slept in on a Saturday morning and found her gone, I thought we would have lunch together but assumed I miss understood.

I waited around awhile and decided to walk up to the station where a Mcdonalds was so I put on my faded Jeans Jacket and got me a shaka shaka chicken and an ice cream.

I stopped at a family mart on way back cause they had good donuts, as I left the kon...convenience store I took out my flip phone and saw I had missed calls and texts from her. Seems I left my phone in manner mode and being in my jacket I failed to feel the vibration.

The texts went kinda like.

"Sai where are you?"

to

"Please let it not being going this way"

"So you are finally with the other!!"

So I walk into the apartment with my McDonald receipt in hand and I got the ice queen treatment something bad.....all because I went to mcdonalds.

That year was my hardcore lesson of what unhealthy abusive relationships are like. Me being a foreigner and not knowing the language made it super easy for me to be isolated, and once Isolated I got sucked into her world.

I would walk in from getting a coke at the machine two blocks down and she would be in hysterics yelling how I worried her, how come I didn't take the phone, she think her Turkish ex-husband and his friends steal me. blah blah blah at the very end I was texting her when I would go to the soda machine.

after I got away from her, I lived with out a cell phone for over a year because it me it was a loving leash.

A few years ago I reflected on some of the stories she told and now believe they were tests like when she said her ex break her car window and attack her, hence why she didn't return my call. I was in the states at the time, I took some friends out to breakfast didn't take my phone saw she called and I returned her call which she didn't pick up. After reading about face in this thread I suspect she didn't answer cause she was angry and when she calm down felt it better to make up a story about being attacked.

Or way back when the fukushima thing happened she called my parents and basically cried about being nearly drowned. If you know Japanese geography Aichi was no where near that. She had all my info and even my landline it was a test and I told my parents "this doesn't add up she knows how to talk to me, she is using you to test me and I refuse to respond"

At one point this woman owed me north of 10 large (it was basically a floating line of credit) it got paid down to a rather small amount but still a few grand, which she conveniently deleted from her memory. (This was another life lesson I learned about loaning money to people especially those who will send every last coin to their family)

Because of face she didn't want anyone to know I loaned her money, but if I was connected to her social/family circle the shame would have motivated her to behave. Shame was almost like a social glue, keeps people in check. If I was able to leave and stay with my friend or someone else who knew her, it would be lose of face and thus a motive for her to keep it in check, but again being isolated as I was she was free to let it out.

It feels to good to let that E/N out but I guess I should take a minute to be fair and not come off as a misogynist.

The woman was once young sweet and in love, and basically betrayed by all three of important men in her life, hence her paranoia.

There was a huge age difference and we knew our time together couldn't last.

I was young and naïve I thought because of that trama she went through I thought it was okay for me to be isolated, I didnt talk to other women, I didnt have anyone else but her and this will give her reason to feel secure.

I met a GO teacher from korea who was kinda in the same boat want to be my friend and I regret not having the relationship.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Koramei posted:

i think this is because pepero (like pocky) is awful and without a dedicated holiday would fade into obscurity as some trash tier candy nobody cares about

man what's it like always being wrong

Almond Pepero is the poo poo. My first Pepero Day the students brought me so much that even regifting half of it I had a supply that lasted me literally like six months. It was great.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Koramei posted:

Old style Korean houses are fine for winter, I imagine the same is true for northern China and... pretty much everywhere with cold winters. People aren't idiots about climate when they have thousands of years to come up with solutions. I went to the Jeonju traditional village during winter and went in a house with the underfloor heating lit, can attest it works great.

It just got messed up in the transition to modernity.

As someone who lives in Finland where it sometimes gets down to -30C, I know a guy who is a historian / builder / renovator of old traditional houses I have been lectured to plenty enough that the comforts of a home in the olden days was nothing like that we expect today. The temperature would not be constant and not every room would be heated, in a cold winter morning it would perhaps be 5C inside or colder, people would sleep not in their own rooms (not that most houses had rooms for everyone back then) but around the hearth in the central room and with warm clothes on.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep-Goats posted:

I very much doubt the kid suffered any real injury from that

Bad luck is possible but that's not enough to do a kid in

children have soft bones, im sure he is fine just a little shorter than before

Power Khan
Aug 20, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

His Divine Shadow posted:

As someone who lives in Finland where it sometimes gets down to -30C, I know a guy who is a historian / builder / renovator of old traditional houses I have been lectured to plenty enough that the comforts of a home in the olden days was nothing like that we expect today. The temperature would not be constant and not every room would be heated, in a cold winter morning it would perhaps be 5C inside or colder, people would sleep not in their own rooms (not that most houses had rooms for everyone back then) but around the hearth in the central room and with warm clothes on.

I thought you guys lived in a literal swamp, like Shrek, but more drunk and armed.

simplefish
Mar 28, 2011

So long, and thanks for all the fish gallbladdΣrs!

JaucheCharly posted:

I thought you guys lived in a literal swamp, like Shrek, but more drunk and armed.

Are you Swedish?

big time bisexual
Oct 16, 2002

Cool Party
time to merge the china and everest threads

https://www.bloomberg.com/view/articles/2016-11-10/china-tries-to-conquer-everest

:allears:

Fojar38
Sep 2, 2011

Sorry I meant to say I hope that the police use maximum force and kill or maim a bunch of innocent people, thus paving a way for a proletarian uprising and socialist utopia

also here's a stupid take
---------------------------->

PRC willingly throwing sacrifices at the hungry mountain

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

more bodies for the corpse mountain

• Locked thread