Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart
What is this thing called in English?

edit: I can't find a translation for the Chinese word, but I really just need to know what the tool is called so I can buy one on Amazon rather than a Chinese site. I keep trying to search like "Distance measuring compass tool" and poo poo and I get nothing

angel opportunity fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Nov 10, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

angel opportunity posted:

edit: I can't find a translation for the Chinese word, but I really just need to know what the tool is called so I can buy one on Amazon rather than a Chinese site. I keep trying to search like "Distance measuring compass tool" and poo poo and I get nothing

Calipers?

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

angel opportunity posted:

Those are calipers with a graduated bow. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calipers

angel opportunity
Sep 7, 2004

Total Eclipse of the Heart

tuyop posted:

Those are calipers with a graduated bow. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calipers

Awesome, thank you!

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Why do guys have flat butttts?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

A.Barnum posted:

#notallmen

That would be the rear end of Kim Kardashian's brother Rob.

It's genetic.

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

A.Barnum posted:

Because bros only do bench presses and always skip leg day.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.
What is the proper way to age clothing without significant damaging it?

There's a sweet spot for T-Shirts and Shorts, and I just want my new stuff to start there.

Is there a fabric expert thread?

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

kapalama posted:

What is the proper way to age clothing without significant damaging it?

There's a sweet spot for T-Shirts and Shorts, and I just want my new stuff to start there.

Is there a fabric expert thread?
You're probably looking for the You Look Like poo poo subforum. Depending on your gender/clothing you might try the male, female, or denim threads.

edit: if they can't help you the sewing thread in DIY might be able to help.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Rabbit Hill posted:

That looks like an OBEY pin on the girl's jacket collar, so is this a shirt Shepard Fairey designed? It might just be a random girl.

Yeah, it's described as "The Streets Women Tee" as part of the Obey Holiday Collection from 2008.
http://districtfootwear.blogspot.com/2008/12/obey-mens-womens-holiday-collection.html

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
Grimey Drawer
Wait, OBEY is it's own label?

Satire is dead.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I'm planning on building a new PC soon and will be selling off my current one to my brother. How many years should power sources and HDDs be replaced? I've had these parts since the end of 2012 on a frequently used PC. For posterity the RAM hasn't been replaced either if thats a concern.

I don't wanna sell him this PC and then have the parts break down cause of age on him :ohdear:

E: I mean, I'm for sure gonna replace the power source with a more powerful one so if he decides to upgrade the PC he wont have to worry about voltage. I'm mainly worried if the HDD will die on him.

Leal fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Nov 11, 2016

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012
My anecdotal evidence is that if they survive 1-2 years, you will have no problem getting 10 years out of them.

I have more trouble with disks in the 0-60 day range than disks in the 3-5 year range. In my opinion, I'd sooner use the one with a 4 year history of good behavior than an untested model off the shelf.

CrazySalamander
Nov 5, 2009
Just remember, earlier SSDs have a much more limited R/W lifetime. If it's a magnetic disc style hard drive you're fine.

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Leal posted:

I'm planning on building a new PC soon and will be selling off my current one to my brother. How many years should power sources and HDDs be replaced? I've had these parts since the end of 2012 on a frequently used PC. For posterity the RAM hasn't been replaced either if thats a concern.

I don't wanna sell him this PC and then have the parts break down cause of age on him :ohdear:

E: I mean, I'm for sure gonna replace the power source with a more powerful one so if he decides to upgrade the PC he wont have to worry about voltage. I'm mainly worried if the HDD will die on him.

Replace power supplies by the end if their warranty, since they can fry other components when they go tits up. Hard drives you can ride into the ground if you've got a backup strategy, and if it's not clicking or otherwise indicating imminent failure, don't worry about a thing.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

I asked this in TBB but I'm cross posting here as I'm not sure how much traffic the recommendation thread gets:

----

A bit of an odd question – can anyone recommend either a great western or mystery novel in which a cave plays an important or recurring role? My dad is a big fan of both genres and I'd like to get him a book as a gift. The cave is a bit of an inside joke.

Also, I've been reading a lot of Jack London lately because I feel trapped in a city and I find his descriptions of wild places soothing. I've read most of his popular works, can anyone suggest some other authors to look at? I'm open to books and authors of any age, though I tend to lean towards somewhat older fiction (60s or earlier ).

Crumps Brother
Sep 5, 2007

-G-
Get Equipped with
Ground Game

kedo posted:

A bit of an odd question – can anyone recommend either a great western or mystery novel in which a cave plays an important or recurring role? My dad is a big fan of both genres and I'd like to get him a book as a gift. The cave is a bit of an inside joke.
Right off the top of my head I'd say Liminal States. It's 1/3 western and 1/3 sorta noir mystery. A cave also plays a big part in the whole book.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

what's the dance move where you take your hands, keep them distant and parallel, then use them to form the sides of a 'box' around your head? like your hands start off as the top and bottom, then become the left and right, and that repeats

it's from the 80s i think. i thought it was from madonna?

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Madonna's thing was voguing

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Crumps Brother posted:

Right off the top of my head I'd say Liminal States. It's 1/3 western and 1/3 sorta noir mystery. A cave also plays a big part in the whole book.

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Crumps Brother posted:

kedo posted:

Cool, I'll check it out. Thanks!

It's not really in either of your genres but Paul Auster's Moon Palace has a significant chunk of the book take place in a cave in the desert and it has a big impact on the story and characters. It's really very good also. Loved that book.

Edit: I should also say that the cave section is kind of in the western genre and also the book is in some senses a mystery story.

Squibsy fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2016

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Madonna did not invent voguing.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mr. Squishy posted:

Madonna did not invent voguing.

In the same way that apple did not invent touch screen phones.

But no one could tell you who did either first.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

FCKGW posted:

In the same way that apple did not invent touch screen phones.

But no one could tell you who did either first.

not really comparable at all, and your latter statement is simply not true, there is a famous documentary specifically about the origins of voguing, Paris Is Burning - and most of that documentary was made well before the Madonna song

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

yea, the move i'm thinking of might just be a common move from voguing. but i really thought it was part of some song/video. it's kind of like 'safety dance' but contained to the head. maybe i've conflated all these things into one. been looking off and on all day, but just can't find it. grrr

AlbieQuirky
Oct 9, 2012

Just me and my 🌊dragon🐉 hanging out

kedo posted:

I asked this in TBB but I'm cross posting here as I'm not sure how much traffic the recommendation thread gets:

----

Also, I've been reading a lot of Jack London lately because I feel trapped in a city and I find his descriptions of wild places soothing. I've read most of his popular works, can anyone suggest some other authors to look at? I'm open to books and authors of any age, though I tend to lean towards somewhat older fiction (60s or earlier ).

On your dad's thing, The Sittaford Mystery and Evil Under the Sun, both by Agatha Christie, feature caves prominently. Blind Descent, by Nevada Barr, is all about caves (a park ranger/detective has to overcome her claustrophobia to solve a caver's unexpected death). There's a Clive Cussler that's about finding gold in caves in Central America.

On yours, Zane Grey? Harold Bell Wright, if you don't mind a little sermonizing here and there, wrote some great descriptions of old California. Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It is pretty great. Willa Cather, particularly My Antonía and Death Comes for the Archbishop. Gene Stratton-Porter (a lady with a man's name) wrote some interesting stuff about Indiana when it was mostly wilderness, particularly Freckles and A Girl of the Limberlost. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings is best known for The Yearling, but all her stuff has great descriptions of a mostly wild Florida.

AlbieQuirky fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Nov 12, 2016

Barnum Brown Shoes
Jan 29, 2013

Gobbeldygook posted:

#notallmen

That would be the rear end of Kim Kardashian's brother Rob.

It's genetic.

Yeah, I should have realized that. In my home town, we call that hockey butt. Because its pretty much against the law to not play hockey.

Peristalsis
Apr 5, 2004
Move along.

Abel Wingnut posted:

yea, the move i'm thinking of might just be a common move from voguing. but i really thought it was part of some song/video. it's kind of like 'safety dance' but contained to the head. maybe i've conflated all these things into one. been looking off and on all day, but just can't find it. grrr

~16 second mark: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJ7X0inKxbo

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

AlbieQuirky posted:

On your dad's thing, The Sittaford Mystery and Evil Under the Sun, both by Agatha Christie, feature caves prominently. Blind Descent, by Nevada Barr, is all about caves (a park ranger/detective has to overcome her claustrophobia to solve a caver's unexpected death). There's a Clive Cussler that's about finding gold in caves in Central America.

On yours, Zane Grey? Harold Bell Wright, if you don't mind a little sermonizing here and there, wrote some great descriptions of old California. Norman Maclean's A River Runs Through It is pretty great. Willa Cather, particularly My Antonía and Death Comes for the Archbishop. Gene Stratton-Porter (a lady with a man's name) wrote some interesting stuff about Indiana when it was mostly wilderness, particularly Freckles and A Girl of the Limberlost. Marjorie Kinnan Rawlings is best known for The Yearling, but all her stuff has great descriptions of a mostly wild Florida.

These are awesome lists, thanks very much!

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
I've heard that the hormone cortisol is correlated with stress levels, ie resilient people show low levels of it. But which way does the causation go? Is stress caused by high cortisol? Or is cortisol a product of stress, perhaps meant to reduce it?

Namarrgon
Dec 23, 2008

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!
Yes, cortisol initiates 'anti-stress pathways'.

But, in real biology, it is rarely that simple. It is probably both ways with at least a dozen other hormones interacting on the sides, also both ways.

Dogfish
Nov 4, 2009
Cortisol's job in the body is to maintain homeostasis (chemical balance) in stressful situations. When you get stressed, your body makes cortisol to try to compensate for what it imagines could be stressing you out. So, for example, it raises your blood sugar, because it assumes you're going to need to run away from or fight whatever is causing your stress. It's not "anti-stress" in the sense that it's designed to make you feel calmer; its role is to try to protect your body from damage from the stressor.

If you are chronically stressed, your body has difficulty knowing when to make more cortisone and when not to, which is why stress can wreak havoc with your blood sugar, your immune system, and your memory. Resilient people can tolerate more of a stressor before they start experiencing a stress response and releasing cortisol, which is why their levels are lower.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy

kedo posted:

These are awesome lists, thanks very much!

Also check King's Gunslinger. Not a traditional cave (or western) and the cave's role is arguably not pivotal. On the other hand, if you make it to the end of the series it will be either the best payoff you've ever read, or you will hate it and wish you had those hours back. Not the cave, but the overall ending. Very polarizing, but I happen to love it. It took me three starts to finish the Gunslinger fwiw.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

kedo posted:

Larry McMurtry writes a good western, Lonesome Dove even won a Pulitzer.

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
In plays and movies, "cast" refers to the actors who take part in the play, but what is the term for the characters?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Kurzon posted:

In plays and movies, "cast" refers to the actors who take part in the play, but what is the term for the characters?

The role.

Rabbit Hill
Mar 11, 2009

God knows what lives in me in place of me.
Grimey Drawer

kedo posted:

Louis L'Amour and Zane Grey, both kings of the Western genre.

E: Oops, you got Zane Grey already. Also check out Ivan Doig.

Rabbit Hill fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Nov 13, 2016

Kurzon
May 10, 2013

by Hand Knit
No, I mean the list of characters. "Role" is a synonym for character.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Kurzon posted:

It's Dramatis Personae for theatre, but I don't know about TV/movies. I've heard cast used to refer to characters as well but depending on the context you want to use it that could obviously get ambiguous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

betamax hipster
Aug 13, 2016

Kurzon posted:

Dramatis personae is probably the closest, although that has connotations of an explicit list, e.g. one in a playbill.

e:b