Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Uhhh isn't the blind one like a young teen or something
trap sprung

edit: can we bring back that catchphrase? it was a good one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

trap sprung

edit: can we bring back that catchphrase? it was a good one.

Be the change you want to see in the world.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

I [34 F] am married to a manchild [34] who has just gone from annoying to inappropriate

Quick backstory, we've been married for ten years, together for 12. We have two kids (about to be 6 and 7). He's always been self-sufficient because his parents made him to a lot for himself growing up and he moved out as soon as he turned 18.
For the past few years, he has been the worst manchild though. He asks me to do EVERYTHING for him (I mean everything, yesterday he asked me to tear him a piece of tinfoil because he claimed to not know how), and if I don't he throws a legit toddler tantrum (think whining, footstomping). I won't get too deep into that aside from one of the things he insists I do is rub his head until he falls asleep. Our kids don't get in bed until after 9 because of this and I can't just walk out because he just yells from our room until I come back in and it keeps the kids up (and it's annoying as hell).
Tonight there was something going on at the kid's school, so I didn't get home with them until 8. I started giving them baths and my husband started yelling for me to come in and "put him to bed". I said I would be right in, I just wanted to at least get the kids washed up so they could put on their pjs themselves and settle down for bed. He said "no, get in here now" and kept yelling for me.
I got sick of him yelling for me, so I ran in quick to rub his head for a minute and get back to the kids. When I started to walk out, he said "no, rub more" and I jokingly said "no, I have to put my other kids to bed". His response was "go gently caress yourself", then I just started to walk out and he threw my pillow at me and said "No, seriously, go gently caress yourself. Get the gently caress out and stay out there".
WAT.
I seriously don't know what to do. Part of me wants to be like "until you can grow up and treat your wife with some respect, you can leave" but part of me is just like...I don't know, too blown away at the immaturity to think of how to respond.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

I think she married an autism

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

I [25 F] am growing tired of my[28 M] boyfriend of 4.5 years' picky eating.

Robert and I have been together for almost five years now, but have only lived together for about a year. Up until recently, we were long distance, and saw each other every weekend and on most holidays. We were lucky to be able to do that, and I knew going into this all that he's a picky eater. What I did not know was just how picky, because he downplayed it a lot, until we moved together.
We have an otherwise happy relationship, but I love to travel, as does he, and I am not a picky eater. I would like to be able to eat the local food wherever we are, but he throws a tantrum if he sees me eating something that he doesn't like, and he won't kiss me or be intimate with me for days after, even when I brush my teeth and do the entire oral care routine in front of him (which he demands). I feel like he's trying to use intimacy as a weapon to keep me from doing what he doesn't like, and that's irritating as well, and it honestly is a big bummer to not be able to try new things while we're travelling. For me, that's half the fun of being in a new place.
At home, it's more of the same. I can't bring home anything that he wouldn't eat, and if I do, I have to be prepared to be frozen out for however long because of my "betrayal" as he's called it.

Here is the list of things he doesn't like:
All fruits, with the exception of bananas and grapes
Cheese
Milk, except for chocolate milk
Water, unless it has an artificial extract in it or other sort of flavoring
Vegetables, with the exception of avocado
Nuts
Legumes
Soups
Anything with a sauce
Bread, except for cheap, white bread
Frozen things
Yogurt
Tea, Coffee and hot drinks
Alcohol, even when it's all cooked off (like, rum cake for example)
Pasta
Rice
Real Chocolate
Granola and most cereals
Oats
Grits
Mustard
Food that has any spices in it at all- not just "spicy" things
Ketchup
Mayonnaise
Pork
Chicken
Seafood
Eggs
Pudding
Gelatin
Popcorn
Crackers
Anything that's touched another food type
There's more, but you get the idea

This leaves a lot of things totally off of the table, literally, and it's starting to really be a problem for me. I come home earlier than he does at night, so I've been buying just enough for what I need for dinner, cooking for myself, deodorizing and cleaning the kitchen and putting it all back so it doesn't look like I've done so, and then making a Robert approved dinner for "us" later, when he gets back, but I'm getting tired of doing that.
Everything, other than this is working for me, in our relationship, and I'm not really sure if this is enough to break up over, after being together so long. I've tried to come to a compromise with him before, but he dismissed everything and wouldn't budge, at all.
He knows that his behavior and attitude makes me upset, but all he can focus on is how much he doesn't like that I want to eat things he doesn't want to.
Those of you with picky partners, how do you deal with mealtime and travel?

tl;dr: Boyfriend hates a lot of food, insists that I restrict my diet to match his- I'm getting tired of sneaking around, not sure what I should do.

Edit: Since a lot of people keep asking, this is a list of what he does eat:
Bananas
Grapes
Avocados
Beef
White Bread
Butter
Cheerios
Chocolate Milk
Instant Potatoes
Flavored Water

Last night, for dinner, he had a bowl of instant potatoes, a steak, a glass of vanilla flavored water and a bowl of grapes.

Edit:

Oh sorry, this one was supposed to be funny because he's a giant baby, but I just found this buried in the comments and it got sad:

quote:

He's thrown things at me, yelled, screamed, thrown himself on the floor, broken some of my possessions, and hit me

Tears In A Vial fucked around with this message at 05:09 on Nov 11, 2016

zakharov
Nov 30, 2002

:kimchi: Tater Love :kimchi:

What was he like before he got married? Why do these people get married?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

I think we need to get more descriptive with the term manchild. Usually it means something like manadolescent or manteen, but apparently some women manage to marry and have actual children with mantoddlers.

Anony Mouse
Jan 30, 2005

A name means nothing on the battlefield. After a week, no one has a name.
Lipstick Apathy
Manbaby?

edit: Manbabby

Lawrence Gilchrist
Mar 31, 2010

Pull up

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Tears In A Vial posted:

Edit:

Oh sorry, this one was supposed to be funny because he's a giant baby, but I just found this buried in the comments and it got sad:

What the gently caress does this guy even eat... oh chocolate milk is ok but not regular milk makes sense.

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

If this is genuinely something that's come on suddenly then ten bucks says dude has a brain tumour or something else neurological going on.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all

Leon Einstein posted:

"My girlfriend dresses up sexy for me and we have too much sex. Woe is me."

That could be a problem. Poorly matched libidos can lead to feelings of inadequacy and resentment. If every time she gets gussied up she wants a three-hour, earth-shaking romp, I can see how that could make a fella feel put upon, especially if he were already struggling to keep up with the normal sex.

Sex is great, but not everybody has the same level of enthusiasm or durability.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

My mom [53F] frequently asking me [20F] for advice on making memes for Facebook pages she runs, gets upset that I'm not interested (Non-Romantic)

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

My [19F] boyfriend [41M] doesn't brush his teeth and shits the bed every night and addresses me as "rat fart goddess" in front of my parents even though he knows I hate it

We have an otherwise perfect relationship,

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

haha what the gently caress is "vanilla flavoured water"

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

sinking belle posted:

haha what the gently caress is "vanilla flavoured water"

I'm glad you asked.

quote:

As far as I know, it isn't being sold anywhere, but he will add drops of artificial vanilla extract to his water. He's big on all of those extracts. Lemon is one that he uses pretty frequently as well.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Some people like chunky peanut butter and some like smooth, and some people prefer to steer clear of that hornet's nest altogether! I'll take a piece of plain white bread, thank you, maybe with a glass of water on the side for dipping.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Moon Atari posted:

Some people like chunky peanut butter and some like smooth, and some people prefer to steer clear of that hornet's nest altogether! I'll take a piece of plain white bread, thank you, maybe with a glass of water on the side for dipping.

*10 hours later*

"Vanilla-flavored SPRITZER! SPRITZER! spritzer..."

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

TL;DR -- New boyfriend [M28] told my [F30] professional colleagues that the moon landing wasn't real, which humiliated me at a social outing.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Why does it still say "new" instead of "ex"? :argh:

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

Tears In A Vial posted:

Edit:

Ugh. I hope she leaves this guy.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

gmq posted:

Why does it still say "new" instead of "ex"? :argh:

This guy gets it

quote:

Boyfriend wants to end our relationship over disagreement on what happened during 9/11. Reddit please help me.

I believe it was an inside job and he doesnt...he really doesnt. I have never seen him the way I saw him today. He told me that I have a weak mind and he can't believe I was stupid enough to be brainwashed by conspiracy theorists. He couldnt even come near me and said that if I dont re-evaluate my believes and my opinion on the matter then he can't be with me anymore. He said he couldnt even look at me. It was like he wasnt even the same person.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

One of my best friends somehow got super into ancient alien conspiracies, to the point where he kept derailing conversations to bring it up with everyone he could. It ended when his girlfriend recruited me and two other friends into an intervention where we all dunked on him viciously until he relented.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop

Moon Atari posted:

One of my best friends somehow got super into ancient alien conspiracies, to the point where he kept derailing conversations to bring it up with everyone he could. It ended when his girlfriend recruited me and two other friends into an intervention where we all dunked on him viciously until he relented.

And then everyone drank wine from diet coke cans

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
It's one thing to talk about conspiracies and anti-vax gibberish but it's another to date someone that actually believes it. Although a crazy conspiracy theorist seems better than violent manbabby.

Tears In A Vial
Jan 13, 2008

quote:

My [22F] boyfriend [24M] of 5 years has bought me a "vanity" engagement ring?

Hi all.

So a few weeks ago a mysterious package arrived for my boyfriend and wouldn't tell me what was in it. I just left it as something personal. I was tidying up his shelves because he collects a lot of merchandise and it was getting dusty. We share a studio flat so space is limited and dust makes me sneeze so I have to keep it wiped down.

I found two boxes I'd never seen before, they were white cardboard and said final fantasy on them. I opened one to see what merchandise my bf had forgotten to show me (he always shows them off) and inside one was an engagement ring. Yay right? The issue is.. its an official final fantasy engagement ring and pendant cloned from Serahs.

Final fantasy is his favourite game in the world. I don't really like it much myself, I'll watch him play it but I won't play the single player games. I did play FFxiv for a short time but it was nothing super to me.

I looked it up and these sets were $229 each and he had bought 2. We have discussed marriage lately so I would assume he was planning to propose, why would you buy 2 if you were only buying them for merchandise?

I don't know how to react when he proposes. I feel like he's bought something special to him that has no relevance to me. I feel hurt, I don't want to look at this ring and just think about him comparing me to his favourite video game.

What should I do? Should I tell him I found it? Shall I wait for him to propose? I don't want to hurt his feelings but I don't think he's considered me at all in his decision, he's just fanboy purchased this.
Thanks a lot.
TLDR : Boyfriend bought me a final fantasy engagement ring because he loves the game and I don't like it myself.

UPDATE

quote:

Hello all!
Thanks so much for all the useful information and help last time around. I really appreciate all the PMs you sent me :) It's been a month since I posted and wouldn't you know - I have an update!

Last week was my 23rd birthday, and as I had predicted, my boyfriend proposed. I did my best to be surprised (lol :O!) but he was so nervous that I don't think he really registered anything I said besides "yes!", so I am now engaged :) hurrah! (If you want the details, he took me to a field full of flowers an hours walk away from our how that I showed to him when he visited me for the first time, it was late in the evening, there were lots of bugs biting us, and wouldn't you know it started raining buckets -woo england- but oh well, it is a great memory to have!)

My boyfriend put the ring on my finger, it did fit which is amazing because I have really small hands (the last ring he bought me fell off if I held my arm downwards) and it was supposedly the default size the ring came in.. so I feel bad for anyone with normal/big hands who got that ring!

I hadn't actually looked at the ring when I previously opened the box, I was too distracted by the huge pendant. But the ring is pretty dainty, It's not diamond or anything but I don't care! Due to my boney fingers however, it only just fits over my knuckle but it's loose enough to swing around my finger itself so the gem keeps going face down (oh well! - can't exactly get finger surgery lol)

Now as for the pendant, I let my boyfriend put it on when he proposed to me but the next day I said to him I'm not really happy to wear it all the time, maybe on special occasions. 1) I don't feel safe with this huge thing hanging down my front, as I have a history of snapping necklaces and 2) It's very unique looking and doesn't really suit my tastes. Plus the idea of wearing video game jewellery every day is a bit mmehhh to me. He was a bit sad as he has actually been wearing his copy (yep, the second set was for him) every day since we got engaged. The ring doesn't fit him but.. I don't know if guys are even supposed to wear engagement rings? Promise rings and wedding rings yes but I have no idea about engagement rings.

We don't have a date for the wedding yet as we are both about to start doing degrees so money is tight. But it will happen :)

Thanks again everyone!

TLDR; boyfriend did propose with the final fantasy ring/pendant set, the other copy was for him, I told him I didn't really want to wear the pendant.
Edit: for those of you saying I didn't address the original problem, I understand where you are coming from. But looking back at what I said before I was being a bit harsh. We are both about to start degrees on the side of full time work to pay for them, so we aren't exactly loaded. It is fine that he didn't buy me a 1k platinum diamond encrusted ring. Being engaged is about spending your life with someone you love, not about the ring on your finger.

In the future perhaps we will discuss getting a different ring but for now everything is peachy. Sure the original problem was he picked a game he loved to be part of the engagement but I won't let him pick a disaster for the wedding ring, that's for sure. I don't think I'll want to wear both any way. My partner understands that I didn't appreciate the final fantasy aspect of the proposal but he's happy to wear his pendant and I'm happy to wear my ring that's all that really matters. We have a very happy and healthy relationship so I don't think there is a problem.

2nd Edit: lol im not going to have a final fantasy themed wedding or let him name our kids after video game characters, you guys are crazy.
I know it's not "mature" he proposed with a ff ring but he's not an obsessed psycho it's not like he has tattoos of the game on his forehead nor bedsheets of the characters.

I know the ring is "cheap" according to some of you but it'll probably just end up being a placeholder, I don't need an expensive ring right NOW. The marriage isn't about the ring it's about being happy.

For those of you still saying why didn't I address the original issue. I chose to let him do what he wanted, maybe it was one his dreams to propose like that, I don't know? Just because it wasn't perfect doesn't mean I need to jump up and down and throw a hissy fit. He understands im not super keen on the pendant, fair enough, we'll look at alternatives in the future.

And for those saying we'll crash and burn, I really hope you can feel the way I do some day (happy!)

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Moon Atari posted:

lmao this sounds like a good time. 'Hi, today we prepared a presentation on how dumb you are. Save your questions for the end.'

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

lazorexplosion posted:

lmao this sounds like a good time. 'Hi, today we prepared a presentation on how dumb you are. Save your questions for the end.'

Such stupid thinking needs to be nipped in the bud so my non existent hat to these folks.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

It seemed like it would be fun, but it actually really sucked because I love the guy and it made him super tense and red in the face, although he laughed about it later. My approach was to actually research the things he had watched and read, and give him proper rebuttals. As outlandish as the premise is, I will say that alien conspiracy theory stuff is often actually very well made misinformation. The trick is that they present historical events and give the traditional interpretation, then say why their interpretation may be just as plausible. The thing is they have actually completely distorted and outright lied about details of the historical event, if not made the whole thing up. People see the presentation of both sides and assume that it is neutral enough that they can make up their own minds, even if they are skeptical. They don't realise the incorrect information is far more bold and literal than the interpretation part.

His gf had obviously suffered more than be because her approach was more along the lines of "omg please stop being such an idiot, I'm so god damned embarrassed and can't take it anymore".

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Yeah, I've watched this whole video just to deal with odious alien poo poo pouring from the mouth of a family member (much thanks to the evangelical Christian who took the time to debunk the whole stupid show).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j9w-i5oZqaQ

But at least when he's talking about aliens he isn't complaining about "niggers and faggots! :smithicide:

Stickfigure
Sep 4, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
LOL at the findom guy. Nigga you married, thats pretty much the same loving thing.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

cyberia posted:

If this is genuinely something that's come on suddenly then ten bucks says dude has a brain tumour or something else neurological going on.

This was my reaction too. It's not even like he was different before they got married, or before the kids were born, he was different a few years ago. Dude's got something bad happening in his brain space.

Bonzo
Mar 11, 2004

Just like Mama used to make it!
And now for something completely normal.

quote:

My [23] girlfriend [20] gained weight

Before the downvotes come, lemme just say that I loving love it, but she doesn't.

When I met her before we dated, she was thick. Coming back from college I guess she could be called chubby, but she's pretty close to an hourglass figure so I can't really tell. Anyways fast forward to now she went on a trip to europe, and has been eating and drinking a lot, all while complaining of weight gain.

In the past she was sensitive about her tummy, but I told her I thought it was sexy, but now I'm worried she's gonna be even more sensitive. We have amazing sex, and touch each other all over, but I always get the feeling she doesn't know she's the sexiest girl in the world to me. I'm fine if/when she loses the weight, but while it's there, I'd like to appreciate her wholly, as well as her do the same. I guess I'm wondering how to insipre confidence, and if anyone else has had a similar issue with body image in the bed.

Basically while she's still a bit softer I'm wondering how I can tell her that she's beautiful and have her believe me, but at the same time not objectify/annoy her with persistence

Tl;dr my gf is hot and I want her to know it

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
I (26M) insulted by best friend(26F) in front of other people

quote:

My friend has borderline personality disorder and suffers from some other ailments. She is in a habit of smoking cigarettes everyday even though I have asked her not to multiple times. Her marriage is not going well and she tries to get relaxed or something through smoking.

I met her a couple of months ago and while I was leaving, she left to buy cigarettes. I asked her not to and said if she smokes, I wouldn't see her again. She still went ahead and started to smoke with some other friends I don't know.

I went ahead and took the cigarette and threw it to the ground and said that was enough for the day. She turned to the other guy and said that this guy (me) threw my cigarette. The other guy replied that he didn't know me so he couldn't respond.

At this point I asked her if we could move aside and talk. But she started saying "out, out" along with the finger pointing thing in the exit direction. I asked her again if we could talk separately and followed her inside the cafe(this happened outside the cafe on the sidewalk) . She asked me to "gently caress off" repeatedly saying I ahd insulted her in frony of her friends. I left.

Now, last week she called me out of the blue, even though we didn't talk to each other after the above mentioned incident. She said called me keeping her ego aside and I should not play hardball. We chit chatted for a couple of minutes. I wasn't able to respond because I was shocked that she called and I was at work. She didn't actually apologize.

I let her know today (via fb message) that I still felt insulted and things wouldn't go back to normal until she apologized.I was only trying to look out for her. She has not responded yet. TL:dr:- best friend insulted me in front of her friends, what should I do?
I read this twice because I thought I missed something.

e: oh poo poo post history!

4 months ago-
best friend(25F) my (25M) need for attention is getting on her nerves.

quote:

my friend works in the entertainment business and has crazy schedules and is married too. We don't meet frequently coz of that. I am what u might call a "nice guy" (trying to get better but apparently not fast enough). recently we met after a long period and she was still busy with work on her phone. I stormed out as I felt left out. Later I let her know that I felt bad that she couldn't keep her work aside for sometime for my sake. she replied that she has crazy work timings and I should understand.

I do understand that part and if that was it I would have happily let this thing go. but she ended it with " ur call for attention is getting on my nerves". I am not denying anything here. may be I did overdo things. but I just feel so hurt that she would say such a thing to me. Especially when she was the one asking me to become forward with people and ask for what I need. I feel empty and lost. TL;DR - best friend said I seek too much attention from her and it pisses her off.

6 months ago-
Hi, I am a 25 year old guy with a dilemma

quote:

Mt female friend and I have been friends for many years and are super close. She is a career woman, so she is mostly busy and doesn't always reply to my text or calls and doesn't even call or text later. I am the one always making plans to meet up or hang out. Lately i complained about this to her that a lot of my calls are going unanswered and I dont like that. She didnt respond. I swallowed my anger and contacted her after a week. And she replied with a "Are you done being angry?". Then again this happened a couple of weeks back and I mentioned this to her again and told her that I felt used and taken for granted and she didnt reply to that again. She called last night and we spoke of some other issue again.I joked and asked when am I gonna get my apology and she replied with a "I am tired" It doesnt seem like she will be apologising. I feel angry. Am I doing right? I feel like I shouldn't talk to her until she apologies and doesnt' repeat the same over and over again. I feel I should stand up for myself. Any thoughts?
tl;dr: Female best friend taking me for granted, what should I do?

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 11, 2016

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
Why does that woman put up with that baby? The guy sounds exhausting.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Somewhere else on the Internet a guy is complaining about his wife having a high maintenance bossy little bitch of a guy friend.

big trivia FAIL
May 9, 2003

"Jorge wants to be hardcore,
but his mom won't let him"

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

I went ahead and took the cigarette and threw it to the ground and said that was enough for the day.

lol what a little bitch

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Leon Einstein posted:

Why does that woman put up with that baby? The guy sounds exhausting.
It sounds like she doesn't really. He admits they don't see each other much, maybe she just winds up hanging out with him so he'll stop loving pestering her for a little bit. He sounds awful.

Bonzo posted:

And now for something completely normal.
Aw:unsmith:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

sinking belle posted:

My [19F] boyfriend [41M] doesn't brush his teeth and shits the bed every night and addresses me as "rat fart goddess" in front of my parents even though he knows I hate it

We have an otherwise perfect relationship,
Is he calling her a rat who is a goddess and farts, or a goddess of rat farts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

Moon Atari posted:

Unironically that person may be developing some kind of schizo- disorder. Constantly steering a conversation, no matter what, into talking about whatever completely nonsensical bullshit they are currently obsessing about is a classic sign. Something very similar happened with somebody I know, everybody dunked on him for constantly talking about weird conspiracies, he stopped talking about them in our presence but kept pursuing them in his own time and through other outlets. Long story short he went totally nuts and believes the moon is hollow and keeps a diary full of strings of numbers.