Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Buschmaki posted:

Go to the Wutangcollection youtube page and just... Check it out.

Thank you. This is going to get some play.

As for Bruce vs Jet, I think Bruce suffers from being the guy who was pioneering poo poo, and Jet got in after the stunt work really picked up. Jackie Chan's stuff looks so good because of that too, lot less visible whiffing and a lot more slow motion oh gently caress that looks like it hurt. Great little doc on how Jackie shot his stuff to on Youtube, technically about action comedy but really applies to action as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

Not to say I don't like classic stuff. Executioners from Shaolin and Master of the Flying Guillotine are amazing, the latter has to be like 3/4 of the DNA of Street Fighter.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

remusclaw posted:

If so, any thoughts on why, aside from them being awesome of course?

Not my place to answer, but I'll admit that Ghost Dog feat. the RZA made me think long and hard about that question, and many pixels have been spilled by black writers on the mythography of Wu-Tang.

E: obviously ghost dog is not even remotely a kung fu movie, and obviously kung fu movies are v. good

Doc Hawkins fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Nov 11, 2016

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Mixodorian posted:

I'm not big on anime or the tv in general but I've been watching Fist of the North Star with my friends when we have nothing to do and just smoke

poo poo is cold. Highly recommended.

It's literally what if Bruce Lee was Mad Max and it's a definite classic.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

remusclaw posted:

Thank you. This is going to get some play.

As for Bruce vs Jet, I think Bruce suffers from being the guy who was pioneering poo poo, and Jet got in after the stunt work really picked up. Jackie Chan's stuff looks so good because of that too, lot less visible whiffing and a lot more slow motion oh gently caress that looks like it hurt. Great little doc on how Jackie shot his stuff to on Youtube, technically about action comedy but really applies to action as a whole.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1PCtIaM_GQ

That and the Wushu school they went to is loving bonkers.

I went and took a class when visiting China and it was loving great!

If I was a Chinese kid growing up, I would have wanted to go there. Hell, I still do. If I hit the lottery that's exactly where I'd be.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

PT6A posted:

Sorry for posting in this thread again*, but I just want to call this poo poo out because it's unbelievably loving stupid:

If poor white people were the one white bracket that didn't vote for Trump, that's even more evidence that this election was about white supremacy and had nothing to do with economic anxiety. If it were economic anxiety causing people to vote for Trump, poor white people would've voted for Trump in greater numbers than rich white people but -- surprise! -- they didn't. Because the election was an endorsement of white supremacy.

* I've been thinking about how to make this post for the past few days, because I've had a lot to think about between my well-deserved callout and watching this election, and I just want to say: I'm sorry for what I said earlier, it was unacceptable. TB was right that I was and am a racist, even though I'm not proud of it, and I need to take responsibility for it, educate myself and stop being a racist. I also, along with all other white people, need to call out racism wherever I see it within my own community, which is something that I have not done enough of in my life. This election has shown me the end result of institutionalized and normalized racism, which I was either unable to see or willfully ignoring, and I want to change it within myself and within society. That being said, please, everyone: call me out in no uncertain terms if/when I say something racist. Yes, it hurt my feelings, but, gently caress it, my feelings needed to be hurt. EDIT: And, to be clear, I'm not saying this because I want, expect, or have a right to expect forgiveness for the lovely things I've said and done -- at this point I haven't done anything to earn it.

I'll shut up now.

I have a ton of respect for you posting this, and I want everyone to know that despite my (and the entire black poster community here, mysteriously) reputation as being "angry," I will happily embrace anyone willing to do this kind of self-reflection. I'm even up for doing more handholding about bigotry and intersectionality than I usually might. Every one of you coming around to our side is one less on their side.

And I think the black culture fascination with kung fu might partly be because those movies tended to play in urban movie theaters, and there was some overlap between kung fu and the -sploitation movies. And also Bruce Lee is dope af and we respect dopeness as a people.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Mixodorian posted:

I'm not big on anime or the tv in general but I've been watching Fist of the North Star with my friends when we have nothing to do and just smoke

poo poo is cold. Highly recommended.

Giving my avatar it's not surprising that I'm a huge dork who loves anime, but man Fist of the north star is so good.

I got a pretty slack weekend coming up, so I'll check out some of the ku fu movies listed here.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Doc Hawkins posted:

Not my place to answer, but I'll admit that Ghost Dog feat. the RZA made me think long and hard about that question, and many pixels have been spilled by black writers on the mythography of Wu-Tang.

Ghost Dog actually got me to track down a copy of that book he was reading because I wanted to be that so bad, that's probably my prime childhood role model.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

And I think the black culture fascination with kung fu might partly be because those movies tended to play in urban movie theaters, and there was some overlap between kung fu and the -sploitation movies. And also Bruce Lee is dope af and we respect dopeness as a people.

Cool. I actually recently got around to watching the first and third Shaft movies, they were on TCM I think and I missed the second, and my first thoughts on them were that they felt like 80's action movies a decade early, just the way they flowed. Bruce is awesome, I spent way too much time well into my adult life dancing around like an idiot trying to replicate the kinds of things he did. Easy to do in the Army, never felt like I grew up until I got out.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Everyone watch Black Dynamite too. It's probably less funny if you didn't grow up on these movies, but it's still great. Actually here's my blackfolk 101 (extremely 101, don't fuss) movie list:

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft
Jackie Brown (Even though Tarantino is the p-word)
Do the Right Thing (ok tricked you this one's advanced, but watch it and then be confused by it and come here and talk about it and unlock wokeness inside you)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Everyone watch Black Dynamite too. It's probably less funny if you didn't grow up on these movies, but it's still great. Actually here's my blackfolk 101 (extremely 101, don't fuss) movie list:

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft
Do the Right Thing (ok tricked you this one's advanced, but watch it and then be confused by it and come here and talk about it and unlock wokeness inside you)

Black Dynamite still works incredibly well if you aren't familiar with the exact aspects of exploitation they are making fun of because as a comedy its so well constructed. All the physical comedy stuff from the cheap sets and flubbed fight choreography is gold.

It's a genuine love letter to it though instead of just naked spite and mockery, which is why it works.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

I have a ton of respect for you posting this, and I want everyone to know that despite my (and the entire black poster community here, mysteriously) reputation as being "angry," I will happily embrace anyone willing to do this kind of self-reflection. I'm even up for doing more handholding about bigotry and intersectionality than I usually might. Every one of you coming around to our side is one less on their side.

Basically. Yeah, I'm an rear end in a top hat, but with a purpose. It's deliberate. It's always amazing how people talk about how "angry" we get, but fail to analyze that how people that were just calm and having a fun discussion suddenly don't want to talk and want them to leave.

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft

You didn't put in Pootie Tang or I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

Shame.

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft

This would be the most 101 list if you added Friday, haha.

Still amazes me all those young white girls that'd say "Bye, Felicia" without having any idea where it came from.

e: in the non-101, everyone here has to watch Beasts of No Nation if they haven't. I don't know if this is old news to all of you but it was incredible and didn't get the attention it deserved.

Mixodorian fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

Basically. Yeah, I'm an rear end in a top hat, but with a purpose. It's deliberate. It's always amazing how people talk about how "angry" we get, but fail to analyze that how people that were just calm and having a fun discussion suddenly don't want to talk and want them to leave.

You didn't put in Pootie Tang or I'm Gonna Get You Sucka.

Shame.

:negative:

I kind of want to put in a bunch of those basic cable afternoon movies I grew up with, like Black Knight, but I have no idea how those look through white people's creepy blue eyes.

Mixodorian posted:

This would be the most 101 list if you added Friday, haha.

Still amazes me all those young white girls that'd say "Bye, Felicia" without having any idea where it came from.

The biggest :negative:, growing til it eclipses the sun

Also "Bye, Felicia" was coined by NWA as depicted in that documentary, Straight Outta Compton

Tiny Brontosaurus fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Nov 11, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

:negative:

I kind of want to put in a bunch of those basic cable afternoon movies I grew up with, like Black Knight, but I have no idea how those look through white people's creepy blue eyes.

Let me tell you the story of how I made a bunch of white tech nerds watch Tales From the Hood for lunchtime movies day.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft

I have seen a couple of these, but I gotta re-watch the ones I saw. So many of the things I saw as a kid and as a young adult warrant a re watch now that I'm not so ignorant of the content of them and the places they come from. It's so easy to internalize idiocy when you grow up in a tiny place, or move around a ton. Where I went to High School there was only one person of color and he was an exchange student from England. Never took a stern shouting at, but I agree with the general idea that people learn better when confronted loudly and sternly, I would rather be embarrassed and corrected than smug and wrong.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
gently caress you know what you guys oughta watch some of those soapy black 90s dramedies, like The Wood and its much-belated sequel, Everyone's Wearing Christmas Sweaters and Has Cancer

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

gently caress you know what you guys oughta watch some of those soapy black 90s dramedies, like The Wood and its much-belated sequel, Everyone's Wearing Christmas Sweaters and Has Cancer

Have you ever seen that miniseries late 90s about The Temptations cause that got near constant airplay at my house.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Sharkopath posted:

Have you ever seen that miniseries late 90s about The Temptations cause that got near constant airplay at my house.

Oh god I probably still have that memorized. Also obviously all of the great 90s black sitcoms, which a lot of white kids I've met grew up watching too, which is kinda neat. Martin, Girlfriends, etc.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

The latter goes under the actual title of Why Did I Get Married Too?

The other working title was Everyone Fucks Everyone Else and Gets AIDS Because What is Blackness Without A Bunch of Bullshit?

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Sharkopath posted:

I've seen that 5 or 6 times and David Ruffin is still my favorite member.

Oh god I probably still have that memorized. Also obviously all of the great 90s black sitcoms, which a lot of white kids I've met grew up watching too, which is kinda neat. Martin, Girlfriends, etc.

227 is underrated IMO

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Mixodorian posted:

227 is underrated IMO

227 is like the Golden Girls but with black women, and it was awesome.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mixodorian posted:

I've seen that 5 or 6 times and David Ruffin is still my favorite member.

227 is underrated IMO

227! Also you know what I caught on Hulu recently and is surprisingly good is The White Shadow, which is about a white retired NBA star who coaches an inner city basketball team. It was really ahead of its time - sincere and fresh attempts at a lot of stuff that became watered-down cliches in the 80s and 90s. The kids on his team were really revolutionary depictions of black teenagers at the time, and it holds up pretty well. Everyone dies of gang-related-aids-teen-pregnancy of course, because what is blackness without a bunch of bullshit.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Black Dynamite
Black Power Mixtape
Good Hair
Dear White People
Coming to America
CB4
Shaft

Aw man, no Django? Is that advanced?

Would Attack the Block count? I kinda wanna count it.

Imma count it.

Wes Craven's The People Under the Stairs is also rad and well worth a look.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
And what's that movie where Denzel is a school principal and causes a huge fire hazard by chaining the school doors shut but he's a hero for it I guess because he's so no-nonsese

Oh poo poo and Sister Act obviously. Watch II instead of I - it's the exact same plot but it has Lauryn Hill in it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Pootybutt posted:

Aw man, no Django? Is that advanced?

Would Attack the Block count? I kinda wanna count it.

Imma count it.

Wes Craven's The People Under the Stairs is also rad and well worth a look.

I purposely left out all the slave movies because I don't like how that's always everyone's first look at us narratively. Attack the Block is fantastic, not so much a primer on black culture but a drat good movie so I'll allow it

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait until we have enough critical mass to have a Slack channel or an IRC channel lol

And what's that movie where Denzel is a school principal and causes a huge fire hazard by chaining the school doors shut but he's a hero for it I guess because he's so no-nonsese

Oh poo poo and Sister Act obviously. Watch II instead of I - it's the exact same plot but it has Lauryn Hill in it.

LOL I just watched Sister Act 2 like a month ago and almost liked Lauryn Hill again.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oh god, I had to have seen both of these a hundred times and somehow forgot about it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Not on this list: Dangerous Minds and all its bullshit knockoffs.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BUT WHAT ABOUT THAT ONE WITH HILARY SWANK! WHITE PEOPLE LOVED IT!

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
The Wiz you all forgot The Wiz you monsters

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

teen witch posted:

Oh my god yes. Also Thriller and Purple Rain, obviously

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

teen witch posted:

I didn't like The Wiz, tbh

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009
Speaking of TV, I went to turn on Comedy Central the past 2 nights to see Larry Wilmore's coverage of the election results. Last night I thought I just missed it and the time changed, tonight I found out he had been replaced with the Talking Dead dude.

I was severely disappointed cuz, besides Conan who is always solid, he was the only late night show that was funny to me.

I feel like if they did a better job of advertising his show to older generations who might be unfamiliar with Comedy Central he would've gotten much more views. What is being black on TV without a bunch of bullshit tho, lol.

On the bright side, I haven't seen much of it yet but Blackish doing well is really encouraging.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Gaunab posted:

Also I'm 90% sure that my best friend growing up voted for Trump. I haven't spoken to him in a while and now I don't want to because I know I'll be angry with him.

My mother called me tonight and when she said I sounded depressed, I told her "duh, yeah, the election". She then proceeded to gloat over Trump winning. I told her that since she felt the need to help vote an unrepentant racist into the White House, she can either do some soul searching about why she was wrong to support him and apologize for her poor choice, or to never speak to me again, because she's not just being a jerk to me, she's being actively disrespectful to her daughter in law (my wife, who is black). I can and will cut my mom out of my life over this, she crossed a goddamn line. I will beat to death the first cracker rear end motherfucker who uses this poo poo as an excuse to be lovely to my wife.

negromancer posted:

I'm just thinking maybe it's time to stop allowing our oppressor to also educate our children.

Seems kinda rear end backwards.

Truth. This is the same kind of truth BDP was dropping in the 80's:

"We're not here for glamour or fashion
But here's the question I'm asking
Why isn't young black kids taught black?
They're only taught how to read, write, and act
It's like teaching a dog to be a cat
You don't teach white kids to be black
Why is that? Is it because we're the minority?
Well black kids follow me"

If you let white people school children of colour, it just helps inculcate them in white culture and white privilege.

negromancer posted:

Guns are like alcohol. Most people don't drink or drink rarely, and its a small fraction that have AWL the loving guns and they are overwhelmingly white and racist.

This is why I have a shitload of guns - because I don't want the racist shitheads to be the only ones armed. Huey P. Newton posing with a rifle for that one picture was one of the most forward thinking things to ever come from the panther movement. Don't trust most whites with guns, they don't have your welfare in mind.

Rick_Hunter posted:

Pretty good red text imo.

I would wear that one with pride.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 08:52 on Nov 11, 2016

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

negromancer posted:

I didn't like The Wiz, tbh

The Wiz was basically parodied brilliantly in the finale of Black Dynamite.

Which I mostly didn't like otherwise. Something about the pacing or delivery of the jokes never clicked w me, i dunno. I'm weird. Could watch that finale over and over again tho.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Oh my god yes. Also Thriller and Purple Rain, obviously

Love Purple Rain, Prince was such an odd fella, but people that talented can get away with it. Are his other films worth watching, Under the Cherry Moon and Graffiti Bridge? Heard mixed things about them.

remusclaw fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Nov 11, 2016

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

I went to go work for the first lady of Nigeria in her elementary school in 2012-2013. She called me Michelle Pfeiffer the whole time. poo poo was weird.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

oh found this cause I remembered it, from negromancer talking about black samurai

japanese childrens book from the 50s about one of them, Yasuke

He ended up becoming one of the closest and most favored retainers of the man mostly credited for actually uniting the various Japanese states during the late middle ages, but textbooks here don't have room for this kind of role model so I didn't know about him as a kid.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Is Afro Samurai any good or is it really racist?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Errm...

I'm just gonna tell myself you're making a Juno meta-joke.

• Locked thread