Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Decius posted:

Yeah, those strawmen constructed out of something never said or even implied are really useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Slamhound posted:

What exactly did Trump offer the rust belt that was more coherent or specific than "it'll be fine, don't worry"?

he was the wildcard after both sides of the system let these people down

Dr_0ctag0n
Apr 25, 2015

The whole human race
sentenced
to
burn

:kiss:

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

NecroMonster posted:

the real funny part is that we don't even need to actually eat "all" of the rich

just eat the top thirty-fifty percent of them and everyone would be fine, hell, they would even still be pretty rich

eat all of their money

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Slamhound posted:

What exactly did Trump offer the rust belt that was more coherent or specific than "it'll be fine, don't worry"?

Well, he said "free trade took your jobs, I'm gonna bring them back" no matter how much of that is bullshit.

Lycus fucked around with this message at 08:17 on Nov 11, 2016

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.
During these dark times I can't help but look back and wonder, what if? Maybe we should have all just listened to Dr. Jill Stein from the beginning.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

I'm glad Americans are back to being much stupider than even us Brits again, for a while there it seemed like a strange new world but now we're back to 2000 with a vengeance.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

anime was right posted:

her lady gaga poo poo seemed like a way to win over millenials or something, which didn't work.

because we want some like, uh, i dunno, we don't want to get hosed under the same system thats been loving us too lol

Pretty much, I'd love to see a breakdown of millennials/people under 35 based on income breakdown and state. I have no idea if these number even could exist anywhere. From what I saw, which is purely anecdotal, younger millennials (18-25/26 or so, first time voting in an incumbent party election) were for trump because they didn't have to live through 2008's recession, and older millennials (28-35) were all for clinton because the loving bed making GBS threads of the economy hosed them when they came into the labor market in the 2006-2010 time frame.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DryGoods posted:

During these dark times I can't help but look back and wonder, what if? Maybe we should have all just listened to Dr. Jill Stein from the beginning.

but the green party is completely crazy too

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

anime was right posted:

he was the wildcard after both sides of the system let these people down
But what, exactly, did he offer them?

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Yes, very much Hot Sauce in that. Clinton had a plan for dealing with student debts. Not as good as Sanders' by far, although maybe more realistically financed, but the plan was neither Hot Sauce nor Emojis.

Trump had none, except the salt mines, and won.

DryGoods posted:

But people did! They voted Trump right like she advised.

Decius fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Nov 11, 2016

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

like, effect of the wealthy and corporations actually paying their fair share of the tax burden, not just in america, but all over the drat world

it would be god damned staggering

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Slamhound posted:

he was a brick. they have nothing. they don't care anymore dude. they're losing and mashing buttons.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

Bringing manufacturing jobs back, that's used to be the bedrock of rural PA-OH-MI.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Lycus posted:

Well, he said "free trade took your jobs, I'm gonna bring them back" no matter how much of that is bullshit.

he still said the magic words

"jobs"

thats all you need to win votes~

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Slamhound posted:

someone new who wasn't a career politician, someone who was 'wildly successful in business', someone who claimed that he could get poo poo done YESTERDAY and had YUUUGE plans for the country (even if he never specified what these plans were)

plus he was a racist babby, which resonated with a lot of his base.

DryGoods
Apr 26, 2014

Dogs, on the other hand, can connect with that pathos.

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

but the green party is completely crazy too

If you're calling homeopathy crazy then I don't even know what to tell you.

Von Sloneker
Jul 6, 2009

as if all this was something more
than another footnote on a postcard from nowhere,
another chapter in the handbook for exercises in futility
someone has a gun in the Portland protest; don't think it's a protester

https://www.facebook.com/ozone503

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Slamhound posted:

NAFTA renegotation, tariffs on companies moving plants outside the US, a more convincing sell of "no TPP" than Mrs. Gold Standard?

The only good things he promised that haven't already hit the chopping block, coincidentally

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Plinkey posted:

Bringing manufacturing jobs back, that's used to be the bedrock of rural PA-OH-MI.

Shoulda gotten the techies in on Clinton's campaign coulda offered all them old hands 3D printers so they could manufacture again.

NecroMonster
Jan 4, 2009

anime was right posted:

he was a brick. they have nothing. they don't care anymore dude. they're losing and mashing buttons.

i found a video of most of humanity right now

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68tl-O-EQHQ

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

DryGoods posted:

If you're calling homeopathy crazy then I don't even know what to tell you.

:anime:

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Plinkey posted:

Pretty much, I'd love to see a breakdown of millennials/people under 35 based on income breakdown and state. I have no idea if these number even could exist anywhere. From what I saw, which is purely anecdotal, younger millennials (18-25/26 or so, first time voting in an incumbent party election) were for trump because they didn't have to live through 2008's recession, and older millennials (28-35) were all for clinton because the loving bed making GBS threads of the economy hosed them when they came into the labor market in the 2006-2010 time frame.

anecdotal but this is mostly my experience from the general. I'm 28 finishing my bachelor's degree, in groups with largely affluent 18-22 millenials, and they're both mostly women and mostly trump-leaning folks. they don't like hillary. they didn't give a gently caress about trump's sexist poo poo. they roll their eyes at stories of minorities not going in to work or stuff like that because they very legitimately think it's silly and that there's no danger. though to be frank, they don't care about much of anything because they're affluent and blatantly don't have to.

EDIT: Oh and the women in particular are not fans of feminism. Even the group lead who aspires for a CEO position. Though that's possibly just her humoring her sorority friends.

Oh Snapple! fucked around with this message at 08:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Oh Snapple! posted:

anecdotal but this is mostly my experience from the general. I'm 28 finishing my bachelor's degree, in groups with largely affluent 18-22 millenials, and they're both mostly women and mostly trump-leaning folks. they don't like hillary. they didn't give a gently caress about trump's sexist poo poo. they roll their eyes at stories of minorities not going in to work or stuff like that because they very legitimately think it's silly and that there's no danger. though to be frank, they don't care about much of anything because they're affluent and blatantly don't have to.

This about matches my anecdotes of young voters. They don't take it seriously but then again they don't think racism is even a thing, really. They're color-blind.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Oh Snapple! posted:

anecdotal but this is mostly my experience from the general. I'm 28 finishing my bachelor's degree, in groups with largely affluent 18-22 millenials, and they're both mostly women and mostly trump-leaning folks. they don't like hillary. they didn't give a gently caress about trump's sexist poo poo. they roll their eyes at stories of minorities not coming going in to work or stuff like that because they very legitimately think it's silly and that there's no danger. though to be frank, they don't care about much of anything because they're affluent and blatantly don't have to.

yeah there's a lot of people in that age group who are women that work with my wife in the pharmacy and every single one of them voted for trump.

when she confronted them about the sexist stuff they would say "yeah but hillary is a murderer and that's worse than sexism!"

they all shut up when the rape accusations came out but still voted trump and now that he won they are insufferable

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

NecroMonster posted:

like, effect of the wealthy and corporations actually paying their fair share of the tax burden, not just in america, but all over the drat world

it would be god damned staggering

Won't happen as long as basically all party leadership in all parties (regardless of far left, far right, conservative, liberal or social-democrat) are rich, have rich friends, have rich lobbyist friends, get their nice jobs from big companies, are beholden to companies that earn more than the GDP of small countries and provide work for more people than some states have voters. Any attempt to legislate something against their interest results in them paying the other side enough money to block it. They might have preferred Clinton, but they easily can work with the GOP. Both are in their pay in the first place.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

Shoulda gotten the techies in on Clinton's campaign coulda offered all them old hands 3D printers so they could manufacture again.

This could have worked if there was a more coherent message on the fact that we're a post assembly line worker country, but that doesn't mean we can't manufacture things that are more technology oriented, better then a rest of the world...etc. Hell I think even if she focused on infrastructure more and educating the workforce for new jobs in technology based manufacturing she would have done way better in PA.

Also it's a campaign, promise the moon and the stars to get in, then do what you can to get poo poo done. Who cares if your plans won't ever actually happen. I think that was the big pull or Bernie in the primary and Trump through the whole election. America wants a grand idea, big plans and to at least try something new now.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

to be more specific, what i mentioned was largely students from my advertising courses.

my sociology courses were much different but also still interesting in the divides back during the primaries. very left-leaning for the most part, and again mostly women. the divide in support was largely along class lines, going off what I knew of several of these folks from multiple classes with them. the women from the more working-class backgrounds and who were anxious about their post-grad careers gravitated big-time toward Bernie. Conversely, the women I knew to be from more affluent backgrounds and who were much more confident in their post-college careers gravitated largely toward Hillary.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Lycus posted:

anime was right posted:

Plinkey posted:

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

someone new who wasn't a career politician, someone who was 'wildly successful in business', someone who claimed that he could get poo poo done YESTERDAY and had YUUUGE plans for the country (even if he never specified what these plans were)

plus he was a racist babby, which resonated with a lot of his base.

So…nothing. That's fine, I understand that he didn't offer anything of value, provided nothing specific, and quite reasonably couldn't have. My point is that in the criticism of Clinton is….

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, it's almost like hillary should have gotten behind the disenfranchised lower to middle class in the rust belt with something other than 'it'll be fine, don't worry, here's lady gaga'

The only difference between Clinton and Trump in this instance is Lady Gaga.

This is not a helpful metric for future campaigns.

Edit Balls:

Oiled and Ready posted:

NAFTA renegotation, tariffs on companies moving plants outside the US, a more convincing sell of "no TPP" than Mrs. Gold Standard?

The only good things he promised that haven't already hit the chopping block, coincidentally
Okay, now we have something. So moving along, is this something that is likely to happen and/or be of actual value to the rust belt?

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Maybe it's where I live, but liberals also need to remember that not just old people are republicans any more. The right wing will continue to grow with all age groups.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...
Not everyone has the Paul Ryan Invincibility Shield of a rich, haughty district in Wisconsin to protect them.

The Senators and Congressmen who sink any part of his first year are gonna get destroyed by Trump's core voters. One tweet endorsing their challenger and they'll be gone.

https://twitter.com/i/web/status/796975738230599680

McCain will be a longtime difficulty for the Trumpgenda though, and Rubio will be Spidey in Captain Republican: Civil War

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 08:32 on Nov 11, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Idiot Kicker posted:

Maybe it's where I live, but liberals also need to remember that not just old people are republicans any more. The right wing will continue to grow with all age groups.

yeah taking another shot at college made it abundantly clear to me that conservatism is going nowhere.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

anime was right posted:

frankly watching a lot of well-paid software developers cry at their precious economy they steamrolled over everyone else with being dialed back a bit is going to be a little refreshing, and i didn't even vote for the guy

lot of good paying jobs /are/ gone even for educated people

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Oh Snapple! posted:

EDIT: Oh and the women in particular are not fans of feminism. Even the group lead who aspires for a CEO position. Though that's possibly just her humoring her sorority friends.

Admiral Ray posted:

This about matches my anecdotes of young voters. They don't take it seriously but then again they don't think racism is even a thing, really. They're color-blind.

Same from talking to my college aged sister and mostly her friends, they are all affluent (because they are in college, so of course they are to even go to college without grants/loans) They thing racism is over and everyone can do what they did because mom and dad will write the check every month, sometimes you have to live through stressful poo poo and being the youngest person at a company and first on the chopping block to realize how close you can be to getting axed for nothing more than corporate profits and then be poo poo out of luck in a terrible economy, 2007-2011/12 was stressful as poo poo for me because there were firing every few months.

e:

Slamhound posted:

The only difference between Clinton and Trump in this instance is Lady Gaga.

This is not a helpful metric for future campaigns.

Plinkey posted:

This could have worked if there was a more coherent message on the fact that we're a post assembly line worker country, but that doesn't mean we can't manufacture things that are more technology oriented, better then a rest of the world...etc. Hell I think even if she focused on infrastructure more and educating the workforce for new jobs in technology based manufacturing she would have done way better in PA.

Also it's a campaign, promise the moon and the stars to get in, then do what you can to get poo poo done. Who cares if your plans won't ever actually happen. I think that was the big pull or Bernie in the primary and Trump through the whole election. America wants a grand idea, big plans and to at least try something new now.

Plinkey fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 11, 2016

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Oh Snapple! posted:

yeah taking another shot at college made it abundantly clear to me that conservatism is going nowhere.

its fun being able to tell who goes to the school of economics on campus without ever asking anything related to their major

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Oh Snapple! posted:

to be more specific, what i mentioned was largely students from my advertising courses.

my sociology courses were much different but also still interesting in the divides back during the primaries. very left-leaning for the most part, and again mostly women. the divide in support was largely along class lines, going off what I knew of several of these folks from multiple classes with them. the women from the more working-class backgrounds and who were anxious about their post-grad careers gravitated big-time toward Bernie. Conversely, the women I knew to be from more affluent backgrounds and who were much more confident in their post-college careers gravitated largely toward Hillary.

hey cool man i catalog all types of females too!!!!

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

Okay, now we have something. So moving along, is this something that is likely to happen and/or be of actual value to the rust belt?

No, any new manufacturing will most likely be in the south because of weaker labor laws.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

Slamhound posted:

Edit Balls:

Likely to happen? Probably in some form. It's overdue, will enjoy bipartisan public support and can be done with the stroke of a pen - it isnt a 2000 mile long concrete physical structure, for example.

Be of value? Probably, in the short term. Longterm, it depends how much power America can project and abuse in terms of cheap raw goods and one-sided trade deals, and it would still be a losing fight against the tide.

Edit: i guess this only applies to "will it help the white working class". As noted above, the benefit for anyone in the rust belt who refuses to move is far from assured.

Oiled and Ready fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Nov 11, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Al! posted:

hey cool man i catalog all types of females too!!!!

gently caress off. im allowed to talk with folks i get along with and make mental notes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Oh Snapple! posted:

gently caress off. im allowed to talk with folks i get along with and make mental notes.

ha ha yeah i kno what you mean man..... after a while all u see is blonde, brunette, redhead - the matrix

• Locked thread