Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
btws actually weird until u said the words "make mental notes"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

Oh Snapple! posted:

yeah taking another shot at college made it abundantly clear to me that conservatism is going nowhere.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?_r=1

Blame the turnout numbers of Millennials, but the general stance isn't the issue (yet, until they get older).

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

🏢🏢✈

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Al! posted:

btws actually weird until u said the words "make mental notes"

it's weird that you're being a poo poo over something like this

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Plinkey posted:

This could have worked if there was a more coherent message on the fact that we're a post assembly line worker country, but that doesn't mean we can't manufacture things that are more technology oriented, better then a rest of the world...etc. Hell I think even if she focused on infrastructure more and educating the workforce for new jobs in technology based manufacturing she would have done way better in PA.

Also it's a campaign, promise the moon and the stars to get in, then do what you can to get poo poo done. Who cares if your plans won't ever actually happen. I think that was the big pull or Bernie in the primary and Trump through the whole election. America wants a grand idea, big plans and to at least try something new now.
Oh yeah, lying during a campaign is, like, the thing to do to get votes. Then you've just gotta be seen trying to fulfill those promises.

Decius posted:

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2016/11/08/us/politics/election-exit-polls.html?_r=1

Blame the turnout numbers of Millennials, but the general stance isn't the issue (yet, until they get older).

I hadn't noticed the non-white college graduates voted for Trump more than non-white non-college graduates.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's weird that you're being a poo poo over something like this

no its weird you're saying im weird

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
If you take out the actual candidate on left issues Millennials are a huge jump from the previous generation. Most poo poo head people my age at the very least have an open mind.

Idiot Kicker
Jun 13, 2007
Portland is handing conservatives long term control, so this is gonna suck

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Al! posted:

no its weird you're saying im weird

it's weird that you think that's weird

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Admiral Ray posted:

Oh yeah, lying during a campaign is, like, the thing to do to get votes. Then you've just gotta be seen trying to fulfill those promises.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Oh Snapple! posted:

it's weird that you think that's weird

ok are you guys gonna gently caress now or what

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Slamhound posted:

But what, exactly, did he offer them?

Change. Is that so hard to understand? We've been calling him the "chaos candidate" for so long...they don't know what he's going to do, but they know it's gonna be different. And they believe, accurately or not, that NOBODY is going to be pulling his strings financially.

He doesn't need anything, he doesn't want anything...he can just do.

If you can't understand this, then you will never understand how he won.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

Plinkey posted:

No, any new manufacturing will most likely be in the south because of weaker labor laws.

Jesus loving Christ, dude. I specifically started this line of inquiry because of your post:

Plinkey posted:

Yeah, it's almost like hillary should have gotten behind the disenfranchised lower to middle class in the rust belt with something other than 'it'll be fine, don't worry, here's lady gaga'

The only viable response to your concern is one that you specifically understand to be untenable to that concern.

Furthermore:

Oiled and Ready posted:

Likely to happen? Probably in some form. It's overdue, will enjoy bipartisan public support and can be done with the stroke of a pen - it isnt a 2000 mile long concrete physical structure, for example.

Be of value? Probably, in the short term. Longterm, it depends how much power America can project and abuse in terms of cheap raw goods and one-sided trade deals, and it would still be a losing fight against the tide.

Edit: i guess this only applies to "will it help the white working class". As noted above, the benefit for anyone in the rust belt who refuses to move is far from assured.

Given all this, I ask again, what exactly does Trump offer the rust belt that differs from Hillary's "it'll be fine, don't worry"?

If he offers nothing, then why the criticism of Clinton?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
you know when he went to "black" areas but actually spoke to white people?

and you know how his message was "what the hell do you have to lose"?

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Vox Nihili posted:

ok are you guys gonna gently caress now or what

i'm not that easy. you're looking at least a 3 page fight for that to even be on the table.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

DryGoods posted:

During these dark times I can't help but look back and wonder, what if? Maybe we should have all just listened to Lincoln Chafee from the beginning.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
och th' milk drinkers need a well 'ard bevvy innit

Oh Snapple! posted:

i'm not that easy. you're looking at least a 3 page fight for that to even be on the table.

Ah blaw it oot yer butt n hae a dram :q:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHkPadFK34o

this video is still just

its just amazing lol

repost it forever

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

navyjack posted:

Change. Is that so hard to understand? We've been calling him the "chaos candidate" for so long...they don't know what he's going to do, but they know it's gonna be different. And they believe, accurately or not, that NOBODY is going to be pulling his strings financially.

He doesn't need anything, he doesn't want anything...he can just do.

If you can't understand this, then you will never understand how he won.

lmao

Turdfuzz
Jul 23, 2008

wait whos fuckin who n how do i get involved

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

I want to see the universe were O'mally wins the nomination

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

och th' milk drinkers need a well 'ard bevvy innit

Ah blaw it oot yer butt n hae a dram :q:

this is a new america. we need fresh vision, fresher memes

that milk is stale

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Slamhound posted:

Given all this, I ask again, what exactly does Trump offer the rust belt that differs from Hillary's "it'll be fine, don't worry"?

This isn't a complete answer by any stretch but for starters, he talked mad poo poo about NAFTA which Hillary, married to its signatory, could or would not.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

you know when he went to "black" areas but actually spoke to white people?

and you know how his message was "what the hell do you have to lose"?

lol you know how he got a higher % of african-american voters than Romney

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

I just saw the Deju Q episode of Star Trek: TNG and it reminded me so much what has happened this past week and what is in store for the future.

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

Slamhound posted:

I think they think the factories will come back to the places they were before. I've never heard the "south has lax labor laws now" thing even though it should be obvious (I live in Kentucky, lots of plants here) and I doubt they factored it in. It seems easy to make the empty assumption that the reasons the factories were there to start with still exist today without NAFTA.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

anime was right posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHkPadFK34o

this video is still just

its just amazing lol

repost it forever

This guy who is not singer/songwriter Elliot Smith seems pretty cool and I hope he becomes chair

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Venom Snake posted:

I want to see the universe were O'mally wins the nomination

its called the wire

real 💯 good show fam 👍👍 peep it 👌👌👌

Vox Nihili posted:

this is a new america. we need fresh vision, fresher memes

that milk is stale

when has milk ever not been stale and gross to drink?

if u come between me and this ill cvt ye

Oiled and Ready
Oct 11, 2004

He wished it could be as respectable and orthodox as spying. But somehow in his hands the traditional tools and attitudes were always employed toward mean ends: cloak for a laundry sack, dagger to peel potatoes, dossiers to fill up dead Sunday afternoons ...

crazy cloud posted:

Misogyny, duh

But really though

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

Decius posted:

lol

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

crazy cloud posted:

yeah, and worse than Bush did in either of his elections

"Clinton less successful amongst black voters than Obama" isn't some massive surprise

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
also

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

Maybe it was Time Kaine that hurt the black vote. Think about it.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

If I had to guess it's because they put trade agreements under FP as opposed to economy.

Man Musk
Jan 13, 2010

crazy cloud posted:

Yeah when the president is black it's unamerican to drop n-bombs, but when the president is orange it's patriotic to do so

n-bomb = normie ??

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

a.lo posted:

Maybe it was Time Kaine that hurt the black vote. Think about it.

crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Man Musk posted:

n-bomb = normie ??

woww wtf mods???????

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Slamhound posted:

Jesus loving Christ, dude. I specifically started this line of inquiry because of your post:

The only viable response to your concern is one that you specifically understand to be untenable to that concern.

Furthermore:

Ok, I see where you're coming from, the difference in my mind is that the people of the rural rust belt will get less hosed under Clinton but she didn't make that point, at all. There are safety nets in place at the federal level through the ACA and other programs like that, which she didn't harp on, you even had Bill calling the ACA a mess. Are they still hosed unless there's a change in how the economy works around the great lakes, probably, but to a lesser extent when they are unemployed and no one will sign them up for health care because they have whatever existing conditions. Could manufacturing come back to the areas? Probably but I doubt it in any measurable extent but at least you have someone in the white house that's going to offer up/improve programs for these people specifically, and having the richer america pay for it because they are the beneficiaries of the last 8 years, they've been hosed over for like 10+ years not seeing incomes go up and hearing about how great the economy is. I don't blame any of them for voting trump because he straight up said external factors are the reason they are hurting which is a comforting thing to hear, but I think it's short sighted.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

crazy cloud posted:

This isn't a complete answer by any stretch but for starters, he talked mad poo poo about NAFTA which Hillary, married to its signatory, could or would not.
"Talking mad poo poo about NAFTA" isn't a specific policy. I'm not trying to run down your vernacular here; that's exactly what he did, it's just that it's not appreciably different than "it'll be fine, don't worry" which is what I'm asking.

Oiled and Ready posted:

I think they think the factories will come back to the places they were before. I've never heard the "south has lax labor laws now" thing even though it should be obvious (I live in Kentucky, lots of plants here) and I doubt they factored it in. It seems easy to make the empty assumption that the reasons the factories were there to start with still exist today without NAFTA.
I'm sure that's what they think, but again, it's not different than "it'll be fine, don't worry."

The broader point I'm making between swigging milk from my sippy cup, is that the criticisms of Hillary that are being made don't hold up to any reasonable scrutiny given Trump's platform. That's not to say she can't be criticized, it's to say that she needs to be properly criticized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Lastgirl posted:

its called the wire

real 💯 good show fam 👍👍 peep it 👌👌👌

when has milk ever not been stale and gross to drink?

if u come between me and this ill cvt ye

ugh what is with this forum and cheap scotch, drink american if youre gonna drink cheap ya stinkos!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

• Locked thread