Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

VagueRant posted:

A good chunk of the electorate in 2012 didn't even know Mitt Romney's name

And yet he still got more votes than Trump.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
I haven't watched the Daily Show in a while just due to work schedules, but so far my first impression of Michelle Wolf is making me want to turn it back off.

EDIT: okay that got... better, but good lord her delivery sucked getting started.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Michelle Wolf was on goddamn fire. I feel so bad for her. :smith:

Edit: Holy poo poo Hassan too. :smith: Man Roy Wood Jr. is gonna be good.

Kleper will be interesting if he's on, they need a Hispanic correspondent, or gently caress it just bring back Larry Wilmore for one night.

Jiro fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Nov 10, 2016

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.
I'm just glad Larry didn't live to see just how unblack the unblackening would be.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Man, that bit with Hasan really went a long way towards helping me stomach this. I mean, it seemed like the entire day was just filled with conventional news anchors praising how Trump managed to pull out a win and how he now has a ~*~MANDATE~*~ from the American people with his new inclusive tone... like they all suddenly forgot his entire campaign as soon as it became official.

It was just so cathartic to see naked, unambiguous concern coming from such a genuine place.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Strobe posted:

I haven't watched the Daily Show in a while just due to work schedules, but so far my first impression of Michelle Wolf is making me want to turn it back off.

EDIT: okay that got... better, but good lord her delivery sucked getting started.

This could apply to any given appearance of Michelle Wolf.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
Michelle Wolf is growing on me.

Hasan... :smith:

jojoinnit posted:

I'm just glad Larry didn't live to see just how unblack the unblackening would be.
Bill Cosby's gonna be aquitted... isn't he... :(

jojoinnit
Dec 13, 2010

Strength and speed, that's why you're a special agent.

Echo Chamber posted:

Bill Cosby's gonna be aquitted... isn't he... :(
Worse. Secretary of Women's Affairs.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Am I the only one thinking that Trevor Noah's Daily Show has really started to come into it's own during these past few weeks?

Honestly I've found Trevor's takes on a lot of the horror that has happened recently some of the best I've seen.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Echo Chamber posted:

Michelle Wolf is growing on me.

Same.

Same.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

theblackw0lf posted:

Am I the only one thinking that Trevor Noah's Daily Show has really started to come into it's own during these past few weeks?

Honestly I've found Trevor's takes on a lot of the horror that has happened recently some of the best I've seen.

I think it takes a full election cycle for the new host of the Daily Show to find their legs. Jon's version didn't really find it's stride until inDecision 2000, and now Trevor's version seems to be getting where it needs to be with the beginning of our long national nightmare.

Gotta find your own genuine anger, I guess. Also, the President Elect needs to lose the popular vote while winning the Electoral College.

Every time the Electoral College actually gets a work out the nation is hosed. Thanks, infallible Founding Fathers in your infinite wisdom which we must trust as if stone tablets from god.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

theblackw0lf posted:

It's been especially great lately, but honestly I've thought Trevor has been doing a good job the whole time. :shrug:

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

precision posted:

It's been especially great lately, but honestly I've thought Trevor has been doing a good job the whole time. :shrug:

I'm with you. He's never been bad, but this past month or so is just a steep leap upwards.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

Gyges posted:

I think it takes a full election cycle for the new host of the Daily Show to find their legs. Jon's version didn't really find it's stride until inDecision 2000, and now Trevor's version seems to be getting where it needs to be with the beginning of our long national nightmare.

Gotta find your own genuine anger, I guess. Also, the President Elect needs to lose the popular vote while winning the Electoral College.

Every time the Electoral College actually gets a work out the nation is hosed. Thanks, infallible Founding Fathers in your infinite wisdom which we must trust as if stone tablets from god.

Yeah, I enjoyed the live election meltdown. Colbert's was much more serious in tone; it was an interesting contrast. You can tell Colbert couldn't pivot away from having wanted to make fun of Hillary. The Pepto Bismol torture comedy, however, was okay.

The electoral college is a sad holdover from all the bickering and backroom politicking of the 18th century, so of course it should remain relevant 37 states and hundreds of millions of extra voters later. :sigh:

Mars4523
Feb 17, 2014

Gyges posted:

The Electoral College was invented to defy the popular will in the case that a dangerous demagogue could become President. The only problem is that after 200 some years it's never had to do its job, and now it can't do anything but serve as a rubber stamp.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Mars4523 posted:

The Electoral College was invented to defy the popular will in the case that a dangerous demagogue could become President. The only problem is that after 200 some years it's never had to do its job, and now it can't do anything but serve as a rubber stamp.

Isn't it great that the only actual contribution of the Electoral College to the nation is a couple Corrupt Bargains, a Supreme Court politicizing ruling, and the ascension of a dangerous demagogue?

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Michelle Wolf is weird. That's not necessarily a bad thing, although she does seem a little out of place on TDS.

theblackw0lf posted:

Do you remember Jon post-9/11? This is Trevor's 9/11, 11/9 :rolleyes:. It's unreasonable for former TDS fans to have expected a recent immigrant like Trevor to jump right in and be exactly like Jon Stewart; there was always going to be a stylistic difference and he didn't grow up with the American experience.

This, however, is enough of a tragedy to transform TDS into the show we all remembered, and I'd be surprised if Colbert didn't transform into Colbert more often from now on. :unsmith:

Mars4523 posted:

Hmm, it sounds like it was invented for just this occasion....

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I'm not too hot with Trevor suddenly lecturing to us that we have to listen to Trump voters when the show itself was quite dismissive of them for the entire campaign.

It's our fault now?

A lot of people in the left were saying liberals were complacent, ignoring what was happening on Main Street. They were told to shut up.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

loving lol if you think this election had anything to do with what the common man needed, in a cycle where one of the party conventions held an absentee kangaroo court for their opponent

double lol if you think Main Street is going to get anything they want or need

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

raditts posted:

loving lol if you think this election had anything to do with what the common man needed, in a cycle where one of the party conventions held an absentee kangaroo court for their opponent

double lol if you think Main Street is going to get anything they want or need
You've seen the electoral map. The rust belt took their chances with the crazy man with the kangaroo court convention.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not too hot with Trevor suddenly lecturing to us that we have to listen to Trump voters when the show itself was quite dismissive of them for the entire campaign.

The point of the segment was that they were an unknown quantity. All the data anyone had pointed that Trump supporters being the fringe whackjobs that are currently emboldened to commit hate crimes. It never even crossed anyone's mind that people who would vote for Obama would flip to Trump.

So, the message is still consistent if split. We were right to not listen to the demands of people to shut the borders or put in place destructive trade deals out of xenophobia. However it was a major misstep to not give a national voice to those who haven't been presented a plan for the future.

I was a little annoyed that Pittsburgh was mentioned seeing as how Allegheny county soundly rejected Trump for the real reason that we HAVE successfully transitioned to a post rust belt economy.

Luzerne County was a huge loss. It's also puzzling since the economy there was in recovery and it's usually a big democratic stronghold.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
In hindsight that "we're going to put coal out of business" bit was way more telling and damaging than anyone understood at the time.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mars4523 posted:

Yeah. The idea has merit but since this is the exact situation it was implemented for and it's 100% certain they will not do their job and elect Clinton instead it needs to go.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Echo Chamber posted:

You've seen the electoral map. The rust belt took their chances with the crazy man with the kangaroo court convention.

Yeah, but not because he offered them anything they needed.

Let's just say I haven't heard anyone saying "Yay! Now my job is secure!" as a result of this

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Clinton tried to talk about jobs no one paid attention. CNN probably showed more footage of Trump's empty podium than anything she said, and and all anyone wanted to ask her about was emails. She talked about jobs at the debates, and none of it was talked about afterwards. Trump admitting that he stiffed the people who built his buildings, the same people he supposedly wants to fight for, and it got less discussion than montages of him sniffing.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Atomizer posted:

Michelle Wolf is weird. That's not necessarily a bad thing, although she does seem a little out of place on TDS.

Out of place? She's literally Kristen Schaal's replacement.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Kristen could get through her bits without giggling and mushmouthing all the way through, maybe that's what he means. Her stage presence is really weird and off-tone from everybody else.

raditts fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 11, 2016

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

She's still doing stand-up delivery. The joke cadence and body posture scream stand-up comedian instead of (fake) news correspondent.

She's getting to the point where she loosens up by the end of her segments now and it's feels more conversational, but she starts them where she is comfortable and that's as stand-up.

That's why the segments feel weird.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Her post-election segment is the first I've seen, and I'll grant the gravity of the moment but she didn't even strike me as likely to be funny.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"

haveblue posted:

In hindsight that "we're going to put coal out of business" bit was way more telling and damaging than anyone understood at the time.

Continues to baffle me why she didn't focus more on her $30 billion investment plan to economically stimulate coal country.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Propaganda Machine posted:

Her post-election segment is the first I've seen, and I'll grant the gravity of the moment but she didn't even strike me as likely to be funny.

She's terrible. Kristen schaal was the best and I guess she took her slot, but it's not really the same schtick at all.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

theblackw0lf posted:

Continues to baffle me why she didn't focus more on her $30 billion investment plan to economically stimulate coal country.

It didn't matter how much she talked about jobs or the economy, nobody would cover it. All the stories were about her Emails, various gently caress ups, or how out of touch she was. Because the press got crazy ratting off of Donald Trump's empty podiums and bad stories about Hillary.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
It's also a lot easier to basically agree with the people who are struggling because NAFTA or the drive toward clean energy or outsourcing and say you'll get rid of the things they don't like, even if it's not as simple as tearing up a deal and bing, the clock goes back 35 years and the factories and mines re-open; than to try and explain to them that we need to help them totally reinvent their communities' economic focus.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Gaz-L posted:

It's also a lot easier to basically agree with the people who are struggling because NAFTA or the drive toward clean energy or outsourcing and say you'll get rid of the things they don't like, even if it's not as simple as tearing up a deal and bing, the clock goes back 35 years and the factories and mines re-open; than to try and explain to them that we need to help them totally reinvent their communities' economic focus.

I believe you mean as simple as tearing up a deal and bing bing, bong bong bong, bing bing, the clock goes back 35 years.

Hillary and her team absolutely messed up by simply focusing on what a total gently caress up Donny was. They should have spent at least as much money showing off her plans to fix the problems of the rust belt and the rest of the nation. They're not easy, sexy, ideas. However, and it was a very easy and rewarding mistake to make, instead of rolling with the wave of "Jesus, Donny is horrible" they should have fought more to make it about policy. Even if it failed to change the narrative, having those ads and attempts out there would have given people something to cling to when voting so it wasn't just about voting against Trumpism.

They did try and do some hopeful stuff, but it was a parallel narrative to make her more likeable. What they should have done is steer into her wonky nerd nature more and focused on her wallowing in policies to help America instead of her biography.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Hillary largely hasn't helped Americans. Hell, between her and Bill's support of poo poo like NAFTA, tough on crime, and welfare reform, she's pretty much caused almost irrevocable harm to what's going to end up being generations of them.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"What I will actually do" might have been a better message for Wisconsin and Pennsylvania than whatever her actual message was, but it still sounds like a patronizing, technocratic message.

I hate the "they should have nominated Bernie" meme, but I don't disagree with it. (The moment of zen shows Bernie himself isn't obsessed with the question.) But I think any meaningful autopsy of the Democrats' defeats shouldn't aggressively avoid where Bernie Sanders' was showing his strength. The Michigan primary showed there was an unpolled constituency in the Midwest that vastly preferred Bernie's message and platform over Hillary's. And that was similar to where Hillary Clinton showed unexpected weakness against Trump with voters invisible in the polls.

That's obviously not to say that all those Rust Belt voters who chose Trump over Clinton would have chose Sanders over Trump instead; but it wouldn't be too far-fetched to believe in the hypothetical Vs. Bernie matchup, Trump's negatives would have been a greater liability in all those traditionally Democratic midwest states.

Hindsight is 20/20. But what is an autopsy without hindsight?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Oh Snapple! posted:

Hillary largely hasn't helped Americans. Hell, between her and Bill's support of poo poo like NAFTA, tough on crime, and welfare reform, she's pretty much caused almost irrevocable harm to what's going to end up being generations of them.

NAFTA isn't the problem. The problem is that we never, ever, do anything to retrain or redirect people looking for work. At best we make sure they can go balls deep into debt paying for training and education on their own. And since that's the only path we in any way encourage, it devalues that education and makes it so that you need a college diploma to get an entry level job that in no way requires a college education.

The factory jobs were leaving with or without NAFTA and our other trade agreements. The only way there were ever going to stay is if we returned to 18th Century style tariffs and went all in on trade wars.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Gyges posted:

NAFTA isn't the problem. The problem is that we never, ever, do anything to retrain or redirect people looking for work.
And ironically, making GBS threads on education broadly as something only for "elites" and specifically by torpedoing everything which might give abatement to tuition and other costs for new or new-career students just makes it a vicious cycle which ends in a demagogue who promises the sun and delivers nothing at all except emotional validation. I'll bet you real money that at least 60-70% of the peolpe who voted for trump also did (or would have if there were something on the ballot) vote against every measure and bill and whatever which might increase money to local schools at the cost of maybe 20-30 bucks a month in property or other taxes.

I'm making GBS threads myself this week because Trump could very well irreperably and possibly unrecoverably damage the USA's chance to really get a leg up on environmental dangers by focusing on retraining some of our citizens to work in energy and water management and other fields where it might, you know, do less harm than good overall.. ANd that's my field now so welp

coyo7e fucked around with this message at 07:43 on Nov 12, 2016

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Gyges posted:

NAFTA isn't the problem. The problem is that we never, ever, do anything to retrain or redirect people looking for work. At best we make sure they can go balls deep into debt paying for training and education on their own. And since that's the only path we in any way encourage, it devalues that education and makes it so that you need a college diploma to get an entry level job that in no way requires a college education.

The factory jobs were leaving with or without NAFTA and our other trade agreements. The only way there were ever going to stay is if we returned to 18th Century style tariffs and went all in on trade wars.

Let me put it another way.

Hillary Clinton's husband is the man labor points to as having hosed their asses absolutely raw and ruined their livelihoods when he signed NAFTA and sent their jobs off into the void. When in front of these people again, Hillary Clinton did the most tone-loving-deaf thing in the world: she told the truth. As someone who was part of the White House that essentially told labor they were no longer needed in the party, she shrugged, and told these people their jobs were never, ever coming back. Even worse, she said she was coming for coal next. These were some of the stupidest things she, with all of her loving baggage, could have possibly said to this demo. And yet she said them. Because she's terrible and has no actual skill at campaigning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Echo Chamber posted:

It's our fault now?

A lot of people in the left were saying liberals were complacent, ignoring what was happening on Main Street. They were told to shut up.

The postmortem analysis that I've read is that Trump was the outlet for all of the unheard, un-listened-to voters who were being ignored by both of the major parties, and that's why everyone, all the pollsters got it wrong. The thing is, all of the voters who came out of the woodwork were the loving KKK and various racists and bigots. Literally the day after the election Muslims, women, hispanics, etc. start reporting harassment at work, school, on the street, etc. Mainstream politicians were right not to give these people any attention, and now they've become emboldened because they think Trump gives them the right to attack the "undesirables." 11/9 Nevar Forget indeed. Also, in case nobody realized this, coincidentally 11/9 is the anniversary of Kristallnacht. :tinfoil:

Die Sexmonster! posted:

Is Kristen really gone for good? Anyways I can see what you mean, Michelle is Schall-esque. Very different feels, though. Don't get me wrong, I like her, she's growing on me, and what raditts and bull said hit the nail on the head. She's not quite comfortable on the show yet.

Propaganda Machine posted:

She's been around a while. She's more of a story-telling comedian. That segment was more despair than comedy though, and you can't really hold it against her. Did you see Colbert during the election?

Gyges posted:

I believe you mean as simple as tearing up a deal and bing bing, bong bong bong, bing bing, the clock goes back 35 years.

Hillary and her team absolutely messed up by simply focusing on what a total gently caress up Donny was. They should have spent at least as much money showing off her plans to fix the problems of the rust belt and the rest of the nation. They're not easy, sexy, ideas. However, and it was a very easy and rewarding mistake to make, instead of rolling with the wave of "Jesus, Donny is horrible" they should have fought more to make it about policy. Even if it failed to change the narrative, having those ads and attempts out there would have given people something to cling to when voting so it wasn't just about voting against Trumpism.

They did try and do some hopeful stuff, but it was a parallel narrative to make her more likeable. What they should have done is steer into her wonky nerd nature more and focused on her wallowing in policies to help America instead of her biography.

I don't think a change of message would've won her the election. Trump won because of: racists, sexists, and people who just didn't like Hillary. In a lot of voters' minds, it didn't matter how bad Trump was if they thought Hillary was worse.

Bernie may have won, but we'll never know now.

Oh yeah, all the citizens who didn't vote also didn't do us any favors. :jerkbag:

• Locked thread