Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

Get as many decoys as you can, so you can bounce spies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Spy deck vs. Spy deck, both with decoys and medics packed in, are always hilarious and justify the existence of spies by themselves

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Well, Scenes from a Marriage was depressing as hell.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

monster on a stick posted:

Well, Scenes from a Marriage was depressing as hell.

Best quest in the game.

Nycticeius
Feb 25, 2008

This is the part when you try to stop me and I beat the hell out of you.

Slashrat posted:

Spy deck vs. Spy deck, both with decoys and medics packed in, are always hilarious and justify the existence of spies by themselves

Yes. I keep 30 cards on my NR deck - more than recommended, but I like them - and the only time I ran out of cards was in spy vs. spy. Very fun, however!

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

SirSamVimes posted:

Best quest in the game.

Loved the look of the painted world. Still HoS is overall pretty depressing even for Witcher sidequests.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
It's possibly the best single quest line in any game, depressing or not. I love the constant tension of trying to figure out the truth about Olgierd.

WirelessPillow
Jan 12, 2012

Look Ma, no wires!
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/168807-CD-Projekt-RED-Denies-Rumors-of-Hostile-Takeover-Attempt

good news?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

SirSamVimes posted:

Best quest in the game.

Dead Man's Party.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
Gave the devil his due :colbert:

Also Toussaint is very pretty.

brakeless
Apr 11, 2011

HoS is genuinely amazing from start to finish, with so many great moments.

Smart, beautiful young woman: Geralt you should learn to relax and enjoy life instead of running around solving other people's problems all the time.

Geralt: Ugh I don't understand.

Rev. Melchisedech Howler
Sep 5, 2006

You know. Leather.
The Blood & Wine tourney horseback fight is utter bullshit. Only time in the game I've felt something was badly put together. I keep getting hemmed out of the arena by the opponent, which counts as me running away. When that isn't happening, we're both flailing our swords at each other and completely missing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I just advanced the Novigrad main quest a bit more yesterday... the bathhouse sequence blew my mind. The scenes are so well done and the character's varying personalities come across in their dialogues so well.
I totally understand now why so many people say they will have a hard time ever playing an RPG after this again.Thank god I am only 51 hours in and have a looooong way to go.

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Restrained Crown Posse posted:

The Blood & Wine tourney horseback fight is utter bullshit. Only time in the game I've felt something was badly put together. I keep getting hemmed out of the arena by the opponent, which counts as me running away. When that isn't happening, we're both flailing our swords at each other and completely missing.

Move towards the guy, hold down attack for slow-motion and it's super easy to hit. Don't just mash attack because you'll never hit anything without a lot of luck.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Quote-Unquote posted:

Move towards the guy, hold down attack for slow-motion and it's super easy to hit. Don't just mash attack because you'll never hit anything without a lot of luck.

Yeah, that's the key. Horse combat works a little differently.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so

Ainsley McTree posted:

Yeah, that's the key. Horse combat works a little differently.

By that point I had plenty of practice on bandit camps. Always run in for a few slow mo kills before hopping off roach, very safe and do great damage.

The hard part is fiddly Geralt trying to decide which side your opponent is on, even when super obvious.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
I have to wait 'till July before my self imposed year before I play this again expires. Are there any story driven RPGs coming out between now and then that looks even remotely decent by comparison? I don't pay attention to gaming press and rely on word of mouth to find good games.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Not quite RPG, but Dishonored 2 is, reportedly, quite good. Might want to wait for a patch or two, though. The new Deus Ex is flawed, but probably worth a play if you enjoyed the previous one. Obsidian just released Tyranny, might be worth investigating. Likewise, read an article or two about Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong, to see if that's maybe your thing.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Megazver posted:

Not quite RPG, but Dishonored 2 is, reportedly, quite good. Might want to wait for a patch or two, though. The new Deus Ex is flawed, but probably worth a play if you enjoyed the previous one. Obsidian just released Tyranny, might be worth investigating. Likewise, read an article or two about Shadowrun: Dragonfall and Hong Kong, to see if that's maybe your thing.

I forgot there's a new Deus Ex, I guess I'll pick that up. I wasn't a huge fan of the first Dishonoured. I played through once and it was ok but got bored like 10 minutes into one of the DLCs.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Tyranny is really good if you don't mind real-time-with-pause isometric rpgs. The story's far more engaging than Pillars of Eternity's.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I don't like the word "immersive" but god drat this game... I have never felt so bad, doubted a decision so much and had such a hard time to not do something stupid for 5 minutes in any game before... and all in one scene....

This little piggy went to the market....

Joda
Apr 24, 2010

When I'm off, I just like to really let go and have fun, y'know?

Fun Shoe
Yeah I've never felt as much in the moment in a game as I did when I had a split second to choose whether or not to throw that baby into the oven in Skellige. I felt really loving bad about doing it until she revealed her plan, but then again the rightful Queen told me to trust her

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Hopper posted:

I don't like the word "immersive" but god drat this game... I have never felt so bad, doubted a decision so much and had such a hard time to not do something stupid for 5 minutes in any game before... and all in one scene....

This little piggy went to the market....

She's had worse. (Literally, she was set on fire and had most of her flesh seared off at the Battle of Sodden)

necrobobsledder
Mar 21, 2005
Lay down your soul to the gods rock 'n roll
Nap Ghost
In the books, she had dysentery for a while stuck in the back of a bumpy ride in a wagon back from Kaer Morhen with Geralt and his party. Triss has suffered plenty, but I can't help but think that CDPR tried to use the part in the book where Yennefer is tortured and protects Geralt and Ciri as something to make players feel Triss can have the same fortitude for the sake of the romance decision.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

Joda posted:

Yeah I've never felt as much in the moment in a game as I did when I had a split second to choose whether or not to throw that baby into the oven in Skellige. I felt really loving bad about doing it until she revealed her plan, but then again the rightful Queen told me to trust her

You still have a few really high points to go in the base game,not to mention the expansions.

When given the opportunity, get extremely drunk with your bros.

Don't "forcefuly shove" a major character, it will abruptly end the relevant quest.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Joda posted:

That moment is hilarious if you take it out of context.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Joda posted:

So, did you guys *really* think it was going to be anything other than what happened? Like, really?

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Drifter posted:

So, did you guys *really* think it was going to be anything other than what happened? Like, really?

Yeah, that one I didn't really feel too conflicted about. Given the players and the circumstances I didn't truly believe that I was going to burn a baby alive. It was still a fun quest, but it didn't pull on the "oh my god what do i do time is running out oh god just do something" chord that other quests in the game did so well.

The first quest I did that really made me feel that was the werewolf contract early on. And it was a goddamned sidequest. It really says something about this game that you can see something like a notice board or an exclamation mark over a random peasant's head and think "oh awesome I can't wait to see what this is." In any other game you'll just look at your XP bar and think "hmmm, guess I'd better" but in this one it's almost guaranteed to be a treat.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
So I am about to search for Ciri on the Misty Isles... how far from the end am I?

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013

fuckpot posted:

So I am about to search for Ciri on the Misty Isles... how far from the end am I?

Really depends on how many sidequests you've done so far, but probably half way.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

fuckpot posted:

You've got a lot to go, but it's a straight story run from there to the end, no more of the aimless stuff (there'll still be chances to bugger off and sidequest if you want, but the story will be in high gear the entire time and it feels a little weird)

Make sure you've done any sidequests that are relevant to actual characters before you go to the Isle of Mists, though.

fuckpot
May 20, 2007

Lurking beneath the water
The future Immortal awaits

Team Anasta
Thanks guys! The only quests I haven't done are gwent related ones (I'll focus on them on my second playthrough), fist-fighting ones, witcher contracts and treasure hunts. I'll probably do the treasure hunts and contracts before embarking on this run to the end. I got the Full Crew achievement so I guess I must have done everyone as right as possible.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

You know one extremely minor quest I really love? The one at the arena in Skellige.

The fact that the solution is just to let the ghost win and he's so shocked at his own victory is the most :3: thing.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I read the books yeah, but still. The fact that the game can evoke all these emotions in a single scene is a sign of amazing storytelling quality.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

SirSamVimes posted:

You know one extremely minor quest I really love? The one at the arena in Skellige.

The fact that the solution is just to let the ghost win and he's so shocked at his own victory is the most :3: thing.

I love that one arena you go to in order to fight the latest in a long line of champions you've easily beaten up in fist-fights, and then it's a loving literal bear :xd:

alex314
Nov 22, 2007

I'm finallt going through main quest in HoS. Family matters quest is pretty amazing. The one before I wasn't too happy with my choices the heist . Anyone else feels that the model in that quest looks like black haired Ciri? Sounds similar too in polish.

DashingGentleman
Nov 10, 2009
I started doing HoS before doing the main quest, then decided to go back, find and defend Ciri. This game really is at its best when it's doing stuff like the wedding party or cabaret + the following questline and not dragon ball z theatrics.

Most games will spend all their time building up your character as this ultimate badass. In this one, being a killer ubermensch is the protagonist's blue-collar job and most the interesting moments arise from that being subverted constantly. It owns.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

fuckpot posted:

Thanks guys! The only quests I haven't done are gwent related ones (I'll focus on them on my second playthrough), fist-fighting ones, witcher contracts and treasure hunts. I'll probably do the treasure hunts and contracts before embarking on this run to the end. I got the Full Crew achievement so I guess I must have done everyone as right as possible.

Definitely do all the contracts, they're good and well-written. I also highly recommend the fist fighting quest line. It's more satisfying than you expect.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
I was exploring notice boards in B&W to get the sidequests, explored a "?" near one of them, and somehow stumbled on the middle of Big Feet To Fill without having any context whatsoever about the quest (though Geralt knew about it somehow?)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slide McGriffin
Nov 16, 2009

OOOOoooOOooo
you'll get the actual quest off the foreman at the quarry who'll have you investigate another thing first. The quest itself is rescuing workers who're building a giant statue to a deity.