Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I wish it hadn't been delayed because now it's coming out really close to a bunch of other good stuff

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Dark Cloud 1 has some bullshit in it that makes me never want to play it, such as permanently broken weapons. Dark Cloud 2 has some bad parts, and a few places where you will be better served looking some things up, but is a lot of fun and you cannot screw yourself over to the degree that you can in the first one. I got right up to the end of the game again on the PS4 and it held up a lot better than I thought it would. Its also worth noting that its by the same company that made Rogue Galaxy, and has a lot of similarities. Despite being made first DC2 is far better of an experience I think.

It sucks to hear about WA3 having issues on the PS4, I am looking forward to going through it again :(.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Truspeaker posted:

Dark Cloud 1 has some bullshit in it that makes me never want to play it, such as permanently broken weapons. Dark Cloud 2 has some bad parts, and a few places where you will be better served looking some things up, but is a lot of fun and you cannot screw yourself over to the degree that you can in the first one. I got right up to the end of the game again on the PS4 and it held up a lot better than I thought it would. Its also worth noting that its by the same company that made Rogue Galaxy, and has a lot of similarities. Despite being made first DC2 is far better of an experience I think.

It sucks to hear about WA3 having issues on the PS4, I am looking forward to going through it again :(.

It's not irreversible but unless you look it up in advance you will probably hit a wall mid-game in Dark Cloud 2 where you just don't deal any damage. You're better off upgrading your main weapon with other, lesser weapons that you've levelled up (seriously) than using upgrade items.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Justin_Brett posted:

I felt like the kid in the Emperor's New Clothes while playing it - it's just so dull.

It starts of good but the bosses suck and the level design just falls apart.

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Eldred posted:

It's not irreversible but unless you look it up in advance you will probably hit a wall mid-game in Dark Cloud 2 where you just don't deal any damage. You're better off upgrading your main weapon with other, lesser weapons that you've levelled up (seriously) than using upgrade items.

That is kindof what I meant by stuff that should be looked up. In fairness, the game does explicitly tell you that leveling up weak weapons and crystallizing them is the way to go, but as I recall its a single popup early in the game before you really would have a chance to reasonably try it and therefore remember it.

Eldred
Feb 19, 2004
Weight gain is impossible.

Truspeaker posted:

That is kindof what I meant by stuff that should be looked up. In fairness, the game does explicitly tell you that leveling up weak weapons and crystallizing them is the way to go, but as I recall its a single popup early in the game before you really would have a chance to reasonably try it and therefore remember it.

I hear ya, I was more trying to reinforce that for anyone picking the game up since I ran into that brick wall first-hand and gave up :shobon:

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
So I bought a PS4 Pro. Never had a Sony console before, so I I don't really know how (well/badly) stuff works on Sony's platforms. I was able to buy a year or PS Plus, but buying Bloodborne failed for some reason. I tried using my Paypal account as well, which has easily enough balance to cover the whole purchase (not to mention it's connected to my Visa), but that won't work either. I know I'm well under my credit limit and purchasing from other online stores still works. Did I hit some Sony's anti-fraud heuristic or what? The transaction history shows a bunch of missed €0,00 charges.

Also, assuming I can get this sorted out, feel free to recommend me some PS4 exclusive games. :)

Ryoga
Sep 10, 2003
Eternally Lost

Smol posted:

So I bought a PS4 Pro. Never had a Sony console before, so I I don't really know how (well/badly) stuff works on Sony's platforms. I was able to buy a year or PS Plus, but buying Bloodborne failed for some reason. I tried using my Paypal account as well, which has easily enough balance to cover the whole purchase (not to mention it's connected to my Visa), but that won't work either. I know I'm well under my credit limit and purchasing from other online stores still works. Did I hit some Sony's anti-fraud heuristic or what? The transaction history shows a bunch of missed €0,00 charges.

Also, assuming I can get this sorted out, feel free to recommend me some PS4 exclusive games. :)

The playstation store experience

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
The one truly horrific thing about Xenogears is the awful platforming sequence near the end. The platforming is bad enough on its own but the truly frustrating thing is that you can hit a random battle in mid-jump, which causes you to fall all the way to the bottom once the battle is concluded. On an OG PSX this can be somewhat compensated for by listening to the CD drive; when you hear the CD spin up, you know it's loading a battle sequence so you have a few seconds to prepare. I have no idea how you would manage that with a downloaded version.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

If you're getting bloodborne, that's the major PS4 exclusive but in the upcoming holiday they're adding a few more like Gravity Rush and Last Guardian. If you like fighting games the PS4 has the best selection on the market as well.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

In Training posted:

If you're getting bloodborne, that's the major PS4 exclusive

I'd say it's Uncharted 4 tbh

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

It's actually Knack

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
nothin' but knack

boom shaka laka

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

...! posted:

The one truly horrific thing about Xenogears is the awful platforming sequence near the end. The platforming is bad enough on its own but the truly frustrating thing is that you can hit a random battle in mid-jump, which causes you to fall all the way to the bottom once the battle is concluded. On an OG PSX this can be somewhat compensated for by listening to the CD drive; when you hear the CD spin up, you know it's loading a battle sequence so you have a few seconds to prepare. I have no idea how you would manage that with a downloaded version.

It's actually very easily manageable. It's not that you get random encounters mid-jump, it's that jumping is disabled the second before a random encounter triggers, which makes it easy to walk off cliffs accidentally. The solution is to stop moving before a jump, and make the jump a second or two later once it's clear you're not getting into a random encounter. It's not like Mario where have to run to build up speed to make any jumps, you can jump from a stationary position and still get to where you need to go.

Definitely not something anyone would think of on their first playthrough though

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Just wait till Knack is on PS+ next month.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Saint Freak posted:

Just wait till Knack is on PS+ next month.

Sony Saves Christmas

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Smol posted:

I have to say it every few pages because it happens over and over again, but Sony's card address verification is extremely finicky. If it fails for any reason (even a timeout) it will block you for some time and it won't even let you use another card or Paypal. I gave up on it entirely and buy digital PSN card codes on Amazon, they're delivered instantly and you can redeem them in one click from your digital games library page. Fills the code in on the Sony account page and everything.

If you really want to use Paypal you might be able to use it tomorrow. However you have zero purchase protection in either case, Sony will ban you if you do a chargeback on your credit card and their Paypal agreement they force you to agree disallows Paypal from interceding in any disputes. May as well give the money to Amazon and limit the potential damage.

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
that knack pro support :sun:

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Policenaut posted:

I love Xenogears for being the Ur-90s anime JRPG, it's so ambitious and tries to do so much but just falls short in some aspects. It's not really that long of a game, like Dragon Quest 7 is a long-rear end 90-hour JRPG but Xenogears' big deal is that it has slow text speed, no cutscene skips, and near the end likes to stick boss battles at the end of long dialogue sequences. It's such a bizarre game, but I love it warts and all.

All this is true. Xenogears really rides on the strength of its characters and music. Fei and Elly are very compelling mains, and Citan, Billy, Bart, Emeralda, are super fun to use. Rico is sorta poo poo tho, and ChuChu is a loving gaming travesty.

No jokes, please.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Rico does wrestling moves, so he's cool actually. Citan is so busted it doesn't matter who you use with him, but I usually like to roll with Billy because his little mechanic is neat.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Can't afford any new games so I just played a bit of SR4 from ps+. I think the only fun part was creating your own POTUS and getting to do sick 'murrica stuff at the beginning,

The other parts were unbearable because of the really boring and unsatisfying combat.

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

Little Bitch Man posted:

Can't afford any new games so I just played a bit of SR4 from ps+. I think the only fun part was creating your own POTUS and getting to do sick 'murrica stuff at the beginning,

The other parts were unbearable because of the really boring and unsatisfying combat.
You didn't like being a superhero and literally leaping over buildings and flying around, then performing wrestling moves on everybody in your way?

I never use guns in that game.

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Akuma posted:

You didn't like being a superhero and literally leaping over buildings and flying around, then performing wrestling moves on everybody in your way?

I never use guns in that game.

It was fun for a bit until you play games like Prototype and see the 'open-world superpower' stuff done 10x better.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Little Bitch Man posted:

It was fun for a bit until you play games like Prototype and see the 'open-world superpower' stuff done 10x better.

10x more uninteresting too.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

There is a new Japanese-only free demo of Final Fantasy XV on PSN Japan, the first half of Chapter 1 locked on Easy Mode. 13.4 gigs. Running final code including PS4 Pro enhancements which may yet improve with a day one patch for the final game.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/%e3%82%b2%e3%83%bc%e3%83%a0/final-fantasy-xv-judgment-disc/cid=JP0082-CUSA07048_00-FINALFANTASYXVTR

This demo will supposedly not be getting released in other regions. It's called "Judgement Disc" because it's meant to entice people into buying the final game (also why it's locked on Easy, so newcomers don't get discouraged).

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

univbee posted:

There is a new Japanese-only free demo of Final Fantasy XV on PSN Japan, the first half of Chapter 1 locked on Easy Mode. 13.4 gigs. Running final code including PS4 Pro enhancements which may yet improve with a day one patch for the final game.

https://store.playstation.com/#!/ja-jp/%e3%82%b2%e3%83%bc%e3%83%a0/final-fantasy-xv-judgment-disc/cid=JP0082-CUSA07048_00-FINALFANTASYXVTR

This demo will supposedly not be getting released in other regions. It's called "Judgement Disc" because it's meant to entice people into buying the final game (also why it's locked on Easy, so newcomers don't get discouraged).
I've seen some people streaming it on Twitch and you can probably also find streams on Live from Playstation if you're curious. That's how I end up looking at a lot of stuff I'll never get to play

Ooh, also just saw the announcement that Nov 18-21 will be another free Overwatch weekend for people who enjoy that but don't like to pay money for games

CrashCat fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Nov 11, 2016

Erika
Feb 6, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Obsurveyor posted:

10x more uninteresting too.

I'll pick fun over 'interesting' any day.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Little Bitch Man posted:

I'll pick fun over 'interesting' any day.

Then you're surely not talking about Prototype because that game is just a rehash of the much better and more fun game(except the last boss), The Incredible Hulk: Ultimate Destruction.

Obsurveyor fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Nov 11, 2016

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

All of which pale in comparison to crackdown

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Agility orbs can gently caress off

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

kirbysuperstar posted:

Agility orbs can gently caress off

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=egxjuLkhXUw

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

I would have been angry if I paid 60 for Crackdown, even with the Halo 3 demo (man I miss Halo), but getting it for free from XBL was some good times. Killing a dude by jumping from 3 blocks away and kicking a car into him. The good life.

Platypus Farm
Jul 12, 2003

Francis is my name, and breeding is my game. All bow before the fertile smut-god!

Shadow225 posted:

I would have been angry if I paid 60 for Crackdown, even with the Halo 3 demo (man I miss Halo), but getting it for free from XBL was some good times. Killing a dude by jumping from 3 blocks away and kicking a car into him. The good life.

I got crackdown from gamefly and I played the living gently caress out of that game for about three days and never wanted to touch it again. While it lasted though that game was pure, er, crack.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

When was the last time you played Crackdown?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
Crackdown was pretty much everything other people seem to enjoy about open world games that I don't.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

The last time I tried playing it (a couple of years ago?) I found it almost indescribably bland and boring. Still better than Crackdown 2 though.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Crackdown 2 was meh, but I loved crackdown 1, last time I played it was maybe 2 or 3 years ago? I've run thru the main campaign multiple times so they all run together

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy
Haven't played Hulk Ultimate Destruction since it was released but I loved it. Liked it more than Crackdown, too. Shame it's tied to Marvel, so it's doubtful it'll ever get the PS2 on PS4 treatment.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mayor McCheese posted:

Haven't played Hulk Ultimate Destruction since it was released but I loved it. Liked it more than Crackdown, too. Shame it's tied to Marvel, so it's doubtful it'll ever get the PS2 on PS4 treatment.

Yeah, Hulk: Ultimate Destruction was much better than Crackdown, Prototype or Infamous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Possibly the best stealth mission in all of gaming.

• Locked thread