Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Kurui Reiten posted:

Of course, half of the reason for all that is that Bayformers tend to look like random masses of scrap metal with a little paint and almost no loving armor. Seriously, it looks like if you jammed a stick into one of them somewhere, all their gears and poo poo would seize. No wonder they die so easily. If they were just designed to look simpler in robot form, a lot of rendering power could be shifted.

Optimus Prime's face does not need fifty thousand loving lines.
What hurts about the Bayformers' overall design aesthetic for me is that there was a leaked animation demo before the first movie came out, which had Optimus in something akin to his G1 design (recolored in gray and blue, though) and without all the overly complicated framework. That demo looked good and was what a bunch of people saw first, and where their initial opinions began to form. Then the actual designs were revealed and got everyone upset at the films. Then we realized that Bay was more interested in explosions, product placement and bad sex jokes (or just bad humor period, like the infamous "enemy scrotum" line) than actually adapting the franchise to the big screen. It still amazes me that the Bayformers have been this successful as they have been.

Orv posted:

What about Shockwave's weird skyscraper killing cyberworms then?
Part of me wants to chalk them up to ILM investing in computers that don't melt immediately after rendering giant combining robots. Or CGI technology costs changing enough that those worms were within budget somehow.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

I am shocked and appalled.
What gets me to this day about Movie-Devastator is that none of his component parts have wrecking balls. They appear magically out of nowhere for the sake of a one-off sophomoric joke.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DukeofCA posted:

a one-off sophomoric joke.

AKA Michael Bay's career.

(I actually like a great deal of his body of work, just not Transformers.)

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
http://bayifier.com/

i'm just gonna leave this here and let nature take its course

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Veloxyll posted:

Well. yeah. Swindle is a Decepticon. And one of the Combaticons no less.
Who maybe has sold the other Combaticons before. And possibly Megatron too now that I think of it.

Oops, poo poo, I hosed up. I meant that the Autobot that they talked about trying to one up the Ammonites was Whirl, not Swerve.

That conversation took place in issue 22 of MTMTE. Which is probably one of the better stand alone comics in the series.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Kurui Reiten posted:

Of course, half of the reason for all that is that Bayformers tend to look like random masses of scrap metal with a little paint and almost no loving armor. Seriously, it looks like if you jammed a stick into one of them somewhere, all their gears and poo poo would seize. No wonder they die so easily. If they were just designed to look simpler in robot form, a lot of rendering power could be shifted.

Optimus Prime's face does not need fifty thousand loving lines.

Prime seemed to refine the basic Bayformers style into something that actually looked decent. Parts slid together to form mostly solid coverings with reasonable colors leaving characters looking distinct rather than jumbled masses of metal. Sure, they cheated with size changing parts and faces moving as if they were liquid metal, but that looked so much better than any of the films' crap.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Nov 11, 2016

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

I never saw any Bayformers movies past the first one, so thanks for bringing robot testicles to my attention.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Green Intern posted:

I never saw any Bayformers movies past the first one, so thanks for bringing robot testicles to my attention.

Orv's suggestion I actually subject myself to Bayformers seems like someone trying to convince you that because you sit in chairs you need to staple your junk to a chair because they did it three or so times.

I won't do it.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

Orv's suggestion I actually subject myself to Bayformers seems like someone trying to convince you that because you sit in chairs you need to staple your junk to a chair because they did it three or so times.

I won't do it.

Each Bayformers movie has ten to fifteen minutes of balls-to-the-wall intense robot-on-robot violence that's a joy to watch, with the Optimus vs Megatron fight in the first movie being a highlight. Problem is, you have to dig that ten to fifteen minutes out of the rest of the drat movie.

Megatron also suffered badly in every movie after the first. In the first movie, he displays drat well why everyone's scared of him and why he leads the Decepticons: he takes on Optimus, Jazz, Bumblebee, Ratchet, and the human military simultaneously and more or less wins, killing Jazz in the process. In every movie after that, Megatron exists mostly to get clowned on by Optimus and the humans.

TheLastRoboKy
May 2, 2009

Finishing the game with everyone else's continues

Cythereal posted:

Each Bayformers movie has ten to fifteen minutes of balls-to-the-wall intense robot-on-robot violence that's a joy to watch, with the Optimus vs Megatron fight in the first movie being a highlight. Problem is, you have to dig that ten to fifteen minutes out of the rest of the drat movie.

Megatron also suffered badly in every movie after the first. In the first movie, he displays drat well why everyone's scared of him and why he leads the Decepticons: he takes on Optimus, Jazz, Bumblebee, Ratchet, and the human military simultaneously and more or less wins, killing Jazz in the process. In every movie after that, Megatron exists mostly to get clowned on by Optimus and the humans.

Yeah I know what happens in the movies in a vague sense of everything you just said. It's hardly encouraging and straight up you will never get me to watch them without paying me way more money than the endeavour is worth.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Coolguye posted:

http://bayifier.com/

i'm just gonna leave this here and let nature take its course

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver
The first Bayformers movie is worth watching. The rest, I can take or leave.

I'm a big fan of the entire Scorponok sequence in particular.

JT Jag fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Nov 11, 2016

Rorahusky
Nov 12, 2012

Transform and waaauuuugh out!

Cythereal posted:

Also, good luck trying to make heads or tails of those 15 'good' minutes of action, because Bay loves his shakycam, and it's difficult enough to tell the horrifically overdesigned and incredibly busy designs of the Bayformers from one another when they're standing still, let alone when they're engaged in frantic combat.

Seriously, if it weren't for that stupid red and blue flame paintjob they somehow felt compelled to cram on Optimus, I wouldn't even know which of the moving jumble of spare parts was the hero.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
actually, megatron is the hero, and the films are brilliant communist propaganda because

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Don't forget the latest movie where one of the heroes resurrects megatron in an even more powerful body because he's angry at humans who are harvesting transformers since they can use the metal they're made out of to make My Little Pony dolls.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

mandatory lesbian posted:

actually, megatron is the hero, and the films are brilliant communist propaganda because

🔌

Coolguye fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Nov 11, 2016

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

The first and 4th bayformer movies are....uh....sort-of okay? Like, they have their fair share of garbage, but they at least have some fun stuff about them. The third movie is horrendously boring, and the second is legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The only decent thing about it is that the toyline was pretty cool. It also had one of the best transformer figures, by far

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

TheLastRoboKy posted:

I won't do it.

It's something about social human nature. "That's the worst thing I've ever tasted! Here, try it."

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

XavierGenisi posted:

The first and 4th bayformer movies are....uh....sort-of okay? Like, they have their fair share of garbage, but they at least have some fun stuff about them. The third movie is horrendously boring, and the second is legitimately one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The only decent thing about it is that the toyline was pretty cool. It also had one of the best transformer figures, by far
This guy would be hilarious in an over-the-top horror movie. TOASTER OF DOOOOM.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.

anilEhilated posted:

This guy would be hilarious in an over-the-top horror movie. TOASTER OF DOOOOM.

"A TOASTER IS JUST A DEATH RAY WITH A SMALLER POWER SUPPLY!!"

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The only thing I remember about the Bayformers movies was the time Megatron surrendered and asked, apparently earnestly, for peace.

And then Optimus stabbed him in the face.

Edit: Oh, and the time Shia made out with a sexy blender.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Nov 11, 2016

XavierGenisi
Nov 7, 2009

:dukedog:

Rabidredneck posted:

"A TOASTER IS JUST A DEATH RAY WITH A SMALLER POWER SUPPLY!!"

I was thinking of something more along the lines of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5z4B2h1KfWg

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Violence to faces.
This was later followed up with a violent face.

"Give me your face." => "Come and get it."

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?
When I watched Transformers 4 the only thing I thought was "wow, they really needed to do a few more rewrites of the script." For example, The film opens with Optimus Prime narrating about how now all the autobots are hunted by the army, then five minutes later, we see a scene of Ratchet being hunted by the army that renders Otimus' narration completely pointless. Then the film went out of it's way to point out that a character was indeed, a seventeen year old girl in a relationship with a twenty year old man and it was perfectly okay because of a law in Texas. Okay I get that they wanted to show that Mark Wahlberg's character was an overprotective dad They could have just made the girl eighteen and it would have worked just as well without bringing up creepy laws into the scene. And then the film went out of it's way to make you hate the boyfriend character too:
"Why did you buy mouthwash"
"I like to have a clean mouth when I'm making out with your daughter" :smug:

Also did the film really need to be nearly three loving hours long? Jesus at some point during the end of the movie I just stopped paying attention and decided to boot up Fallout Shelter and check on my vault.

Orv
May 4, 2011

David D. Davidson posted:

Also did the film really need to be nearly three loving hours long?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dgtKS0Fyqgw

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Say what you will about Michael Bay, but at least he wasn't responsible for the laziest Transformer of all time.

The only part of Thunderblast's body that's part of her transformation is her feet. She's got loving boat wings.

But hey, at least there are two notable things about her :nsfw:

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

PoptartsNinja posted:

The only thing I remember about the Bayformers movies was the time Megatron surrendered and asked, apparently earnestly, for peace.

And then Optimus stabbed him in the face.

To make it even better, from what I remember Megs was essentially brain damaged at the time.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

David D. Davidson posted:

When I watched Transformers 4 the only thing I thought was "wow, they really needed to do a few more rewrites of the script." For example, The film opens with Optimus Prime narrating about how now all the autobots are hunted by the army, then five minutes later, we see a scene of Ratchet being hunted by the army that renders Otimus' narration completely pointless. Then the film went out of it's way to point out that a character was indeed, a seventeen year old girl in a relationship with a twenty year old man and it was perfectly okay because of a law in Texas. Okay I get that they wanted to show that Mark Wahlberg's character was an overprotective dad They could have just made the girl eighteen and it would have worked just as well without bringing up creepy laws into the scene. And then the film went out of it's way to make you hate the boyfriend character too:
"Why did you buy mouthwash"
"I like to have a clean mouth when I'm making out with your daughter" :smug:

Also did the film really need to be nearly three loving hours long? Jesus at some point during the end of the movie I just stopped paying attention and decided to boot up Fallout Shelter and check on my vault.

Transformers 4 taught me that Swordguns and Football are the most dangerous weapons in the galaxy.

PoptartsNinja posted:

Say what you will about Michael Bay, but at least he wasn't responsible for the laziest Transformer of all time.

The only part of Thunderblast's body that's part of her transformation is her feet. She's got loving boat wings.

I have mixed feelings about that kind of design. Because at least you don't see a large percentage of exposed robot limbs and bits on the underside of a plane or car. And as a machine, it's less loving obvious about it like animal based transformers looking like they are just wearing a bearskin rug on their back or whatever.

But at the same time... It's still not as cool as flipping around bits of torso and limbs.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

PoptartsNinja posted:

I dunno, that's still probably a better design than Break.

Or any of the other numerous Beast Wars transformers which were just robot bits hanging off of the bottom of an animal.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Er- what is going on with shoving the penguin head into that giraffe person's crotch?

e:I guess y'all weren't kidding about the problems with Cybertronian combiner tech.

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Zomborgon posted:

Er- what is going on with shoving the penguin head into that giraffe person's crotch?

It's some lovely Targetmaster-style gimmick.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Kurieg posted:

Or any of the other numerous Beast Wars transformers which were just robot bits hanging off of the bottom of an animal.

Yeah see? This is what I'm talking about. It's easier to give that kind of design a pass to a boat or something over animals, because it looks less :downsbravo: as an end result.

Rabidredneck
Oct 30, 2010

Not pleasant when angered.
Then there's Signal Lancer from Galaxy Force/Transformers:Cybertron

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7fTrI021xaY

A running sight gag throughout the series that got a great finish.

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
I am the person who will always laugh at the robot testicles. The idea of a robot having testicles is hilarious to me.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Kurieg posted:

All those extra parts that just hang off the robot not doing anything have a name amongst the community, because of course it does. It's called Kibble.

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

Tomorrow, doom!
But now, tea.
Wasn't there a guy in the comics who is the only member build/born of a cancelled combiner? So his alt-mode is the leg of a giant robot that will never exist.

DukeofCA
Aug 18, 2011

Loxbourne posted:

Wasn't there a guy in the comics who is the only member build/born of a cancelled combiner? So his alt-mode is the leg of a giant robot that will never exist.

Yup.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.
A medic robot that can only transform into a leg being called Ambulon is kinda great.

Also, not being a Transformers nerd, I can tell just from what's been linked in this thread that the Transformers wiki is a deeply thorough and dedicated labour of love, and a hefty percentage of that wiki is dumb absurd unbelievable poo poo.

Polaron
Oct 13, 2010

The Oncoming Storm

TheDarkFlame posted:

A medic robot that can only transform into a leg being called Ambulon is kinda great.

Also, not being a Transformers nerd, I can tell just from what's been linked in this thread that the Transformers wiki is a deeply thorough and dedicated labour of love, and a hefty percentage of that wiki is dumb absurd unbelievable poo poo.

And that the people involved in the former are completely aware of the latter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

TheDarkFlame posted:

Welcome to Transformers.

• Locked thread