Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
http://www.psp-tv.com/r/NiteCrew
This poll is closed.
500562 49.92%
139 0.01%
153 0.02%
500888 49.95%
940 0.09%
Total: 1002682 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

i'm the kkk hood smiley face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Tiler Kiwi posted:

you can reach whites by going left and rebuilding unions and offering to get poo poo done about inequality, including racial.

but people are going to think they need to go centrist and never dare show an ounce of loving moral courage on poo poo.

democrats are regarded as cowards by those fucks for a decent reason

e: wrong thread but whatever this can be here, instead

I think the lesson of the last 7 presidential elections is that people respect you when they feel you're representing your genuine self on the campaign trail and when you demonstrate a certain amount of energy for what you're doing without looking like a try-hard.

The American presidency is the saddest popularity contest.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pon de Bundy posted:

im the fat business man holding his lapels

congrats, you run the country now

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

https://twitter.com/MayBe_JoKing/status/796892797492023296

also unironically what dnd's been arguing

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Laughing at us from their graves.

We purged the libertarians once upon a time. We'll purge other bad opinion havers, too.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

tadashi posted:

I think the lesson of the last 7 presidential elections is that people respect you when they feel you're representing your genuine self on the campaign trail and when you demonstrate a certain amount of energy for what you're doing without looking like a try-hard.

The American presidency is the saddest popularity contest.

it's pro wrestling, and crooked Hillary made a loathsome heel.

BallerBallerDillz
Jun 11, 2009

Cock, Rules, Everything, Around, Me
Scratchmo

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I feel like people get complacent when they think something is a sure thing.

I wonder if knowing what they know now, the people voting in swing states that wrote in fake candidates like Harambe or Jill Stein would still do the same.

From last night, but I'd be curious what a lot of elections would look like if they were best two out of three, each vote spread two weeks apart. It'd be a fiasco and a waste of time and money but interesting to see how it might affect results. Think Brexit would have happened with a best two of three vote across six weeks? Would it make votes that came down to the final vote more exciting? Would anybody vote for the Cubs or Dubs or would we need best of 7 for that?

BallerBallerDillz fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Nov 11, 2016

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

TyrantWD posted:

Schumer backing Ellison is largely due to the Democrats wanting to regroup as quickly as possible, and not some broad shift away from centrism, or the likely center-right position the party will take in 2020.

The last thing the Democrats need right now is a whole lot of infighting in the run up to 2018 while the GOP are ramming through every bit of legislation they dreamed of.

This is likely true, but picking Ellison is also consistent with making a reasoned, well-thought-out choice. Hell, if they're lucky everyone in the room looked wide-eyed at Sanders and didn't even need to ask him what to do next. Detail and nuance and lengthy whitepapers did nothing. I ain't gonna call the jobless cracker demo stupid but none of that wonk poo poo was the least bit accessible to the people it was supposed to reach. Back in 2008, I'd noticed Obama would have two different tones for his rallies and each tone had a sort of branding to it - "Change We Can Believe In" for the social justice stuff and "Change We Need" for the direct economic outreach stuff. Those might be reversed, but it was definitely a duality thing. Former being held in cities and at schools and the latter being held in factories and union halls. Hillary did too little of the latter, Bernie did too little of the former, and each side in the primaries retrenched into saying the other gave no fucks about the issues they ran on. Not that it was true, but the lack of outreach and tone shifts really blocked the ability of Bernie to speak credibly on social justice and for Hillary to speak credibly on economic justice. That doesn't even include all the real and imagined baggage and the general lack of charisma and speaking chops of everyone compared to Obama. Dean is what made the waves in 2006 and 2008 happen, and I don't doubt he'd use the same plan now if they chose him, but there are obviously grudges out against him for being a superdelegate and for being a lobbyist for the past ~8 years. Ellison doesn't have that baggage and if his first action as DNC chair was to bring Dean into the room you probably wouldn't have any complaints since that acrimony is all about the upfront optics of having the smell of Pharma lobbyists on the guy who for one brief period in time managed to get the party to find new support in the rurals without touching the kulturkampf poo poo Trump used to turn heads.

Then again picking Ellison could just be absolute ice-cold identity politics because he's a Muslim.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Well how do you know the KKK is racist? Have you ever sat down and talked with one? That's the problem with you liberals, you're never willing to hear the other side of the story and you just rush to judgement against anyone you don't like. Furthermore we should kill all muslims because :v:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

The Nards Pan posted:

From last night, but I'd be curious what a lot of elections would look like if they were best out of three, each vote spread two weeks apart. It'd be a fiasco and a waste of time and money but interesting to see how it might affect results. Think Brexit would have happened with a best two of three vote across six weeks? Would it make votes that came down to the final vote more exciting? Would anybody vote for the Cubs or Dubs or would we need best of 7 for that?

The GOP would run the table. Democrats can't get anybody out for a runoff vote even when they can do the unthinkable and keep incumbent GOP US Senate/Congress members under 50% in the general election.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

Tiler Kiwi posted:

it's pro wrestling, and crooked Hillary made a loathsome heel.

trump is a wwe hall of famer

this must be the most giddy vince mcmahon has been all year

even heard someone wondering over linda mcmahon being in the administration somehow

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
http://whywereafraid.com/

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

they're asking hard questions that nobody else has the temerity to tackle

like "is poor video game ethics to blame for donald trump, who is actually good?"

Nodelphi
Jan 30, 2004

We are all quite capable of believing in anything as long as it's improbable.

Ham Wrangler

mormonpartyboat posted:

they're asking hard questions that nobody else has the temerity to tackle

like "is poor video game ethics to blame for donald trump, who is actually good?"

I blame overwatch.

Corny
Feb 18, 2006

i am scared

FAUXTON posted:

This is likely true, but picking Ellison is also consistent with making a reasoned, well-thought-out choice. Hell, if they're lucky everyone in the room looked wide-eyed at Sanders and didn't even need to ask him what to do next. Detail and nuance and lengthy whitepapers did nothing. I ain't gonna call the jobless cracker demo stupid but none of that wonk poo poo was the least bit accessible to the people it was supposed to reach. Back in 2008, I'd noticed Obama would have two different tones for his rallies and each tone had a sort of branding to it - "Change We Can Believe In" for the social justice stuff and "Change We Need" for the direct economic outreach stuff. Those might be reversed, but it was definitely a duality thing. Former being held in cities and at schools and the latter being held in factories and union halls. Hillary did too little of the latter, Bernie did too little of the former, and each side in the primaries retrenched into saying the other gave no fucks about the issues they ran on. Not that it was true, but the lack of outreach and tone shifts really blocked the ability of Bernie to speak credibly on social justice and for Hillary to speak credibly on economic justice. That doesn't even include all the real and imagined baggage and the general lack of charisma and speaking chops of everyone compared to Obama. Dean is what made the waves in 2006 and 2008 happen, and I don't doubt he'd use the same plan now if they chose him, but there are obviously grudges out against him for being a superdelegate and for being a lobbyist for the past ~8 years. Ellison doesn't have that baggage and if his first action as DNC chair was to bring Dean into the room you probably wouldn't have any complaints since that acrimony is all about the upfront optics of having the smell of Pharma lobbyists on the guy who for one brief period in time managed to get the party to find new support in the rurals without touching the kulturkampf poo poo Trump used to turn heads.

Then again picking Ellison could just be absolute ice-cold identity politics because he's a Muslim.
This is a good post

Serf
May 5, 2011

it really is insane that gamergate was an early warning of our current situation

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

The Nards Pan posted:

From last night, but I'd be curious what a lot of elections would look like if they were best two out of three, each vote spread two weeks apart. It'd be a fiasco and a waste of time and money but interesting to see how it might affect results. Think Brexit would have happened with a best two of three vote across six weeks? Would it make votes that came down to the final vote more exciting? Would anybody vote for the Cubs or Dubs or would we need best of 7 for that?

i'm wondering how many people voted trump as a joke and realized the consequences now just like certain brexit voters

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Lolz, I've already heard people saying Trump's gonna be great with the economy because he's a great business man. Who else could come back to be a millionaire after multiple bankruptcies. The fact he got millions from his dad after such incidents and his offshore accounts/holdings doesn't seem to be a thing those people comprehend though.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Serf posted:

it really is insane that gamergate was an early warning of our current situation

hillary was right bout video games

i say ban em

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Serf posted:

I think November 5th, 2008, was an early warning of our current situation.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
https://twitter.com/DannyJohnJules/status/797095896831971328

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

SocketWrench posted:

Lolz, I've already heard people saying Trump's gonna be great with the economy because he's a great business man. Who else could come back to be a millionaire after multiple bankruptcies. The fact he got millions from his dad after such incidents and his offshore accounts/holdings doesn't seem to be a thing those people comprehend though.

No I think he's going to do great with the economy because he's going to deregulate everything. I honestly that that will stimulate the economy like crazy. The downside is that we'll deal with another huge crisis in a couple of years and generally destroy the environment and people's health.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Nevada likes Harry Reid and he's actually an establishment Dem who Dems will need in the upcoming years.

I love it when he gets to be himself and I hope he starts wearing a full-on pirate eye patch if his eye continues to be a problem.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

people suddenly thinking it's okay to be turbo-racist are the most baffling, and just cartoonishly racist at that

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

Vladimir Putin posted:

No I think he's going to do great with the economy because he's going to deregulate everything. I honestly that that will stimulate the economy like crazy. The downside is that we'll deal with another huge crisis in a couple of years and generally destroy the environment and people's health.

No it's okay because he's going to repeal Obamacare and replace it with

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011

tadashi posted:

I think November 5th, 2008, was an early warning of our current situation.

2004 too, really

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Tiler Kiwi posted:

2004 too, really

the entire bush presidency really

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

FAUXTON posted:

I ain't gonna call the jobless cracker demo stupid but none of that wonk poo poo was the least bit accessible to the people it was supposed to reach.

while a good post, you gotta go a few layers of woke deeper

wonk poo poo is almost by definition inaccessible to the vast majority of people because it requires a significant amount of effort and self-control to rigorously come to an objectively informed position, to the point that the average person can't tell if you're informed or just copy/pasting fw: fw: fw: emails. it's far more in line with human nature to derive a preference from personality and quick emotional hits, both of which are very susceptible to lying. everything about our political system emphasizes the role of the individual representative, and that individual's compatibility with the voter - their personality, their history, their experience, whatever - overrides the substance of the platform behind them. the only way to break that is to get rid of voting for individual representatives

unicameral party list proportional representation or bust

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
I just realized that glorious wall will be like 65% asbestos and lead.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Vladimir Putin posted:

He's going to try to create a trade war that will cost tons of jobs. 15-25 million people aren't going to be able to get health insurance. And taxes are going to go up on single parents. Whatever deregulation gets him, he'll more than off-set it in other areas when people are jobless and dying because of it. And more deregulation is going to mean more recessions in the long run.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Look I ain't calling someone who isn't a racist a loving racist but a lot of people seemingly clearly didn't mind questioning why Trump appealed to white loving supremacists before throwing their lot in with them. It's kind of like ironic bigotry - there's little point in reacting to it differently from your reaction to genuine bigotry because it's still someone saying the fourteen words or what have you. The "you called us all racists" salt is the biggest loving red herring because it tries to shut down discussion about the very real problems with publicly associating with loving klansmen. Just because the rurals are overwhelmingly white doesn't mean you should ever for a second try appealing to a sense of white identity and if someone complains about the lack of white identity rhetoric then sure, they're almost certainly a loving racist.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Beet Wagon posted:

Well how do you know the KKK is racist? Have you ever sat down and talked with one? That's the problem with you liberals, you're never willing to hear the other side of the story and you just rush to judgement against anyone you don't like. Furthermore we should kill all muslims because :v:

That's when you bust out the video of KKK rallies screaming about killing "jews, niggers and chinks" to bring about a pure white aryan nation
I heard the other side, and it's an ugly side

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

the most trump economic plan possible would be to privatize everything and give all contracts to his own companies

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

It occurs to me that another reason Ellison's a good pick for DNC chair is because he's one of the few Democrats in Tuesday's shitshow that didn't really have any cause to be worried about being re-elected. He wasn't unopposed, but he won with something like 75% of the vote and I don't think there was any question at all that it would happen.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Yinlock posted:

the most trump economic plan possible would be to privatize everything and give all contracts to his own companies

That would be illegal and get him impeached.

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

SocketWrench posted:

That's when you bust out the video of KKK rallies screaming about killing "jews, niggers and chinks" to bring about a pure white aryan nation

Man, if evidence actually worked on people in America we wouldn't be in this predicament to begin with.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Vladimir Putin posted:

Didn't the rule book get ripped up some time ago?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Vladimir Putin posted:

It worked okay for cheney in iraq

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

SocketWrench posted:

it's really funny when the kkk try to pretend to be non-insane in full uniform during interviews

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

so would a lot of things he's literally already done

• Locked thread