Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
crazy cloud
Nov 7, 2012

by Cyrano4747
Lipstick Apathy

Battle Royale Baby posted:

Criss post but holy poo poo Chuck Schumer is a fan of Son of Sam

https://twitter.com/gdebenedetti/status/797054454201806848

rip neoliberalism, hail satan

Sir Tonk posted:

No way, I'm actually surprised that Schumer is backing Ellison.

same but at the same time if even a hack like Schumer sees which way the wind is blowing, :twisted:

crazy cloud has issued a correction as of 16:22 on Nov 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Thoguh posted:

I'd also be interested to see what happens to the Clinton Foundation now that their power and influence in DC is heavily diminished. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say donations, especially from foreign governments, fall considerably.

Yes holy poo poo I almost forgot about the foundation. Was there direct illegal activity (lol like Trump's fake rear end charity), probably not.

Did it represent elite networking though? Absolutely.

Clinton was and fundamentally corrupt politician. Not like USSR embezzling or quid pro quo, but defiantly beholden to big donors. Those same big donors to her campaign donated to the Clinton foundation and had face to face meetings with the upper echelons of political power.

Not to say the charity doesn't do solid work. It has probably saved and improved tens, if not hundreds of thousands of lives or more with clean water and poo poo.

But especially in politics, you can't have your cake and eat it too. Is the Clinton Foundation a legitimate charity or a political extension? The answer is both but it fed heavily into the narrative of corruption.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

comedyblissoption posted:

hillary campaigned on villifying trump and a green cartoon frog more than pushing any populist policy

yep! It turns out that if you don't sell a message to the voters, all the GOTV and data in the world won't matter. Run up the margins among progressives in Brooklyn and Los Angeles all you want. It won't matter.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Companies have tried to build factories in those areas but backed out because no one was educated enough to do the jobs.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Typo posted:

100 years from now historians might still be debating whether trump was actually playing 5-D chess or was just a bumbling idiot who stumbled into the presidency cuz everyone else hosed up

It's absolutely the latter. Clinton lost margins of victory so razor thin that every single mistake was decisive.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Hey I wanted to thank you for sticking with this thread, and I really hope others from the campaign are watching this thread and taking notes.

These people just want their lives back. They used to go to work, bond with their co-workers, bitch about their managers, and spend 8 hours a day doing something that was useful. Then they went home to their house and their wives and their kids and felt good about putting in a full day's work. They turned on the TV, maybe cracked open a beer, and had conversations about being able to take that vacation in a few years, or maybe this year we'll be able to redo the bathroom. Yeah maybe they weren't the smartest person in the world or "management material" or whatever the gently caress people judged them by, but they woke up every morning, put their pants on, and showed up to work 2 minutes early to Do Something that needed to be done. They worked hard and were loyal and were proud of it.

Sending these people a check in the mail might keep them from literally dying, but it won't Let Them Live. These people want want to go Do Something. They want to be useful. They want to have co-workers they can laugh with and managers to bitch about. They want to count down the days until that vacation. They want to feel proud again.

The Democratic Party switches between ignoring these people and sneering at them for their silly, backward, uneducated ways. The GOP tells them "We can't fix this but I swear those idiots broke it, and I'll go punch 'em in the nose for ya!" Maybe 10 years ago when the factory closed down they weren't susceptible to that message, but after 10 years of no jobs and watching their town fall apart and their buddy's suicide and the divorce and their kids fleeing for the loving hills they're god drat angry. And you know what? They have every loving right to be angry, because they were loyal and they worked hard and in exchange the capitalist class sold them the gently caress out so some loving CFO could watch his loving numbers tick up a hair.

We can 100% offer solutions to this as a party without sacrificing a single god drat thing. We can build green energy factories in these counties. We can build research centers in these counties. We can build healthcare centers in these counties. Take whatever liberal priority you can think of and we can build something here to help fix things nationally and help these people locally.

People are saying we just need to bump this group or that group's turnout levels back to Obama levels. Great! I do too! But here is something we can do in addition to that! Here is something that helps people who have been savaged by the capitalist class and helps fight global warming or helps advance research or helps improve healthcare in this county. Why the gently caress wouldn't we want to do this?

Mods please sticky this post.

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:
having a more balanced platform of progressive policies is absolutely not the lesson the dnc should learn here, nor should they refocus and continue down the bright white capt picard path of moral rectitude

mossyfisk
Nov 8, 2010

FF0000
Could someone enlighten me as to what 'third-way' politics means in the US because here it's fascism

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes
lol as it turns out being a centrist is what makes you unelectable

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Typo posted:

100 years from now historians might still be debating whether trump was actually playing 5-D chess or was just a bumbling idiot who stumbled into the presidency cuz everyone else hosed up

A loving qdoba burrito would have won if it promised to poo poo salsa all over DC.

The system is designed for this to happen. It's a pressure valve. We should thank our loving lucky stars that the orange idiot king got elected, because HRC sure as poo poo wasn't going to fix the structural problems that caused this anger and it's very likely the 2020 iteration would have worn armbands.

Instead the Democratic Party is now completely out of power, and because of that it's the rightful heir to the anger that caused all of this. For gently caress's sake every election in the last decade besides 2012 has been a huge gently caress you to whoever held power. 2006, 2008, 2010, 2014, 2016 - all were a huge gently caress you to whoever had power. We have weeks to months now where the Democratic Party is reforming. It needs to reform in a way that offers real solutions to the massive amounts of people who have been sold the gently caress out by the capitalist class. If it doesn't we'll win in 2018 and 2020, but 2022 and 2024 are going to bring the GOP back into power and this time they'll have loving armbands on.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Thoguh posted:

I'd also be interested to see what happens to the Clinton Foundation now that their power and influence in DC is heavily diminished. I'm gonna go out on a limb and say donations, especially from foreign governments, fall considerably.

The Clinton Foundation will be fine. They were first and foremost a charitable foundation, and only really trail the UN and Gates Foundation in terms of non-state international development. Before the primaries, smart money would have been on Hillary getting crushed by the GOP establishment. At most, the Clintons would be able to connect donors with other power brokers, and they are still going to be able to do so.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

mossyfisk posted:

Could someone enlighten me as to what 'third-way' politics means in the US because here it's fascism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way

Bill Clinton and Tony Blair's left

Lord of Pie
Mar 2, 2007

Thoguh posted:

That's probably why that rumor of Chelsea being groomed for a congressional run got started

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al! posted:

more importantly, you can promise to do those things regardless of whether you have the inclination or even ability to do them

Starting off the new campaign by openly declaring your insincerity is part of why you lost. Any notion that the new party isn't genuine in its stated goals has to be smothered in the crib. There's not gonna be any place for you if you're going to keep doing this glib bullshit.

RasperFat
Jul 11, 2006

Uncertainty is inherently unsustainable. Eventually, everything either is or isn't.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Nobody is holding this against Clinton's supporters (who weren't counter-productive assholes), but it's not exactly fair to pin all the blame on Clinton herself. She is ultimately responsible, yes, but her surrogates turned off a lot of women bigly.

Nope it want her surrogates that turned off women, it was the candidate.

That doesn't mean Clinton personally did things to piss off women. The RWM poo poo on her for 20 years with conspiracy nonsense and ivory tower elitism.

People HATED Hillary going into the primaries, and the response then and in the general was to shame the haters.

Sure a lot of the hate is unfounded, but progressives and conservatives both had legitimate gripes. The hubris of Hillary and her team thinking they could shame her haters into voting for her is astounding.

Tear the whole drat DNC down, they failed epically on a national level almost entirely because Hillary was the Chosen One.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Fiction posted:

I'm just hoping the centrists who insist that Hillary did not fail and was failed just take their ball and go home completely.

Agree on that. The fact remains the democrats lost to an orange-faced idiot. That alone is a fireable offense

Blurred
Aug 26, 2004

WELL I WONNER WHAT IT'S LIIIIIKE TO BE A GOOD POSTER

mossyfisk posted:

It was the decision by notionally left-wing parties (e.g. Democrats under Clinton, New Labour under Blair) to pivot away from their traditional concerns with the working-class and the labour union movement, to better target middle-class voters. The idea was that by occupying the political centre and by accepting neo-liberal economic reforms, they would pick up a bigger share of the vote. They would take more middle-class votes, and would retain the working-class vote because - after all - who else are the working class likely to vote for?

It was basically a political realignment which allowed the growth of xenophobic, right-wing movements to take over the electoral space that the mainstream left-wing parties had vacated.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

The Fighting Slowpokes

Blurred posted:

It was basically a political realignment which allowed the growth of xenophobic, right-wing movements to take over the electoral space that the mainstream left-wing parties had vacated.

This actually isn't true: those were a reaction against increased immigration and perceived excess of the federal government like waco and ruby ridge

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

mossyfisk posted:

Apparently it means that here too, just through the mechanism of loving up elections in an unbelievably massive way.

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

We can 100% offer solutions to this as a party without sacrificing a single god drat thing. We can build green energy factories in these counties. We can build research centers in these counties. We can build healthcare centers in these counties. Take whatever liberal priority you can think of and we can build something here to help fix things nationally and help these people locally.

People don't believe those claims, no matter how credible or detailed a plan you lay out. A steel worker is not going believe that the green energy factories are coming to their town, or even if they did, that they would be given jobs in it. When coal miners were interviewed over the last year, they all said the same thing - "I'm a coal miner, my dad was a coal miner, mining coal is all I know how to do.". If you promise to bring back coal, and that steel mills will be hiring tens of thousands of workers - people are going to support that over the idea that they have a place in the new economy.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Blurred posted:

It was the decision by notionally left-wing parties (e.g. Democrats under Clinton, New Labour under Blair) to pivot away from their traditional concerns with the working-class and the labour union movement, to better target middle-class voters. The idea was that by occupying the political centre and by accepting neo-liberal economic reforms, they would pick up a bigger share of the vote. They would take more middle-class votes, and would retain the working-class vote because - after all - who else are the working class likely to vote for?

That's one way to look at it. Another way to look at it is the capitalist class taking over supposedly liberal parties and turning people's options into "right wing party" and "right wing lite party".

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Typo posted:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third_Way

Bill Clinton and Tony Blair's left

the precursor to fascism, rather than fascism itself

Al!
Apr 2, 2010

:coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot::coolspot:

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Starting off the new campaign by openly declaring your insincerity is part of why you lost. Any notion that the new party isn't genuine in its stated goals has to be smothered in the crib. There's not gonna be any place for you if you're going to keep doing this glib bullshit.

dont want to give you the impression i give a poo poo bout the future of the dems or god forbid hrc, thsts my legit criticism

as an anarchist

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

It's absolutely the latter. Clinton lost margins of victory so razor thin that every single mistake was decisive.

and boy were there a lot of loving mistakes

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

TyrantWD posted:

People don't believe those claims, no matter how credible or detailed a plan you lay out. A steel worker is not going believe that the green energy factories are coming to their town, or even if they did, that they would be given jobs in it. When coal miners were interviewed over the last year, they all said the same thing - "I'm a coal miner, my dad was a coal miner, mining coal is all I know how to do.". If you promise to bring back coal, and that steel mills will be hiring tens of thousands of workers - people are going to support that over the idea that they have a place in the new economy.

"I'm gonna drop a factory right into the middle of this town, and we're gonna make the fuckers who sold you out pay for it!" is going to win you votes, dude.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

DaveWoo posted:

I dunno, my progressive friends apparently hate Warren now because she didn't endorse Bernie in the primary. :shrug:
she obviously was more aligned with him politically but probably feared reprisals, loss of committee position, etc if endorsing him + didn't want to damage the "likely nominee" and preferred to be a team player. she probably could have thrown massachusetts to bernie but hillary made sure it didn't happen and now we all suffer.

bloodless careerists in the party & bloodless careerists in the media all lined up in support of the ultimate careerist seeking the ultimate job and now the whole world will suffer for it (except maybe syria).

I really like the tenor of this thread because I feel like the only way to stop this from happening again is to recognize it and shout it down and mobilize in the streets against it when it starts happening next time. There's that puff piece already out getting behind Cory Booker as a rising star. Look at Obama's turnout in 2008 and then 2012 and then Hillary in 2016. People are steadily giving up on the dems because their neoliberalism is leaving them to suffer while enriching the careerists and elites. Even if we win with a Booker, we lose next time as an ever greater piece of the electorate gives up.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

RasperFat posted:

Nope it want her surrogates that turned off women, it was the candidate.

That doesn't mean Clinton personally did things to piss off women. The RWM poo poo on her for 20 years with conspiracy nonsense and ivory tower elitism.

People HATED Hillary going into the primaries, and the response then and in the general was to shame the haters.

Sure a lot of the hate is unfounded, but progressives and conservatives both had legitimate gripes. The hubris of Hillary and her team thinking they could shame her haters into voting for her is astounding.

Tear the whole drat DNC down, they failed epically on a national level almost entirely because Hillary was the Chosen One.
People hated Hillary so much that she swept the Southern states and crushed Bernie in Pennsylvania.

At some point, people are going to have to accept that plenty of Democratic voters didn't hate Hillary and some even loved her. The Clintons helped save John Lewis' seat in the insurrection by anti-LGBT black candidates in the 1992 primary in Atlanta and it's a big reason she has so many supporters here. Just because her general election campaign went to poo poo doesn't mean you can rewrite the last 25 years.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TyrantWD posted:

"We're going to build a factory" is a lot more concrete and real than "We're going to make some funds available for re-training after we ship your job elsewhere so some shareholders can make a 1% increase on the stock price but it isn't going to matter because there isn't anything around to be trained to do anymore because everything is dead, thanks".

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

tadashi posted:

People hated Hillary so much that she swept the Southern states and crushed Bernie in Pennsylvania.

At some point, people are going to have to accept that plenty of Democratic voters didn't hate Hillary and some even loved her. The Clintons helped save John Lewis' seat in the insurrection by anti-LGBT black candidates in the 1992 primary in Atlanta and it's a big reason she has so many supporters here.

:lol:

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Al! posted:

more importantly, you can promise to do those things regardless of whether you have the inclination or even ability to do them

i got a busy day today so i wont be able to keep up with this thread but i just want to chime in and say that i agree with this i na dark dark part of my heart

i'm sick and loving tired of the democrats having to play by the rules when republicans have been ignoring them for loving decades

tell people you are going to help them. try to put together a plan that should help them. but most importantly point out that YOU want to help them and the republicans are the ones that have been loving them in the rear end for decades

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Thoguh posted:

"We're going to build a factory" is a lot more concrete and real than "We're going to make some funds available for re-training after we ship your job elsewhere so some shareholders can make a 1% increase on the stock price but it isn't going to matter because there isn't anything around to be trained to do anymore because everything is dead, thanks".

Also we're gonna make some funds available for re-training, but once you've re-trained there still won't be any jobs in your county.

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Maybe we can teach them all how to code and West Virginia will become the new Silicon Valley!

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
democrats 2018: no war but class war

has a beautiful ring to it imho

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tadashi posted:

At some point, people are going to have to accept that plenty of Democratic voters didn't hate Hillary and some even loved her. The Clintons helped save John Lewis' seat in the insurrection by anti-LGBT black candidates in the 1992 primary in Atlanta and it's a big reason she has so many supporters here.

Counterpoint:

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Maybe we can teach them all how to code and West Virginia will become the new Silicon Valley!

All WV and Eastern KY needs to understand is that their ultimate victory against the liberal elites in California would be to steal all their jobs by giving software companies the chance to fire all the well-paid people in CA by giving their jobs to people willing to work for poo poo wages in Appalachia.

It would be great if people in rural KY picked up on the idea that they could work from where they live but nobody who has that kind of upward aspiration wants to live there their whole life.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

tadashi posted:

At some point, people are going to have to accept that plenty of Democratic voters didn't hate Hillary and some even loved her. The Clintons helped save John Lewis' seat in the insurrection by anti-LGBT black candidates in the 1992 primary in Atlanta and it's a big reason she has so many supporters here. Just because her general election campaign went to poo poo doesn't mean you can rewrite the last 25 years.

man, she did so great in the South compared to Bernie, she absolutely should have won

this has to be a joke post

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
"Boy howdy, that Hillary, she did so well in a primary she helped rig in her favor with people who love her! Look at all those southern states she won and then lost in the GE while not paying attention to states she lost in the primaries. God I love her!" -an idiot

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

VikingSkull posted:

man, she did so great in the South compared to Bernie, she absolutely should have won

this has to be a joke post

At some point you have to realize what's done is done and stop banging the drum for the same poo poo the GOP has been hammering into people's heads for 25 years. You can say the campaign was poo poo and realize this at the same time.

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

Harry Reid's statement: http://www.reid.senate.gov/press_releases/2016-11-11-reid-statement-on-the-election-of-donald-trump#.WCXUjsQ8KnM

quote:

“I have personally been on the ballot in Nevada for 26 elections and I have never seen anything like the reaction to the election completed last Tuesday. The election of Donald Trump has emboldened the forces of hate and bigotry in America.

“White nationalists, Vladimir Putin and ISIS are celebrating Donald Trump’s victory, while innocent, law-abiding Americans are wracked with fear – especially African Americans, Hispanic Americans, Muslim Americans, LGBT Americans and Asian Americans. Watching white nationalists celebrate while innocent Americans cry tears of fear does not feel like America.

“I have heard more stories in the past 48 hours of Americans living in fear of their own government and their fellow Americans than I can remember hearing in five decades in politics. Hispanic Americans who fear their families will be torn apart, African Americans being heckled on the street, Muslim Americans afraid to wear a headscarf, gay and lesbian couples having slurs hurled at them and feeling afraid to walk down the street holding hands. American children waking up in the middle of the night crying, terrified that Trump will take their parents away. Young girls unable to understand why a man who brags about sexually assaulting women has been elected president.

“I have a large family. I have one daughter and twelve granddaughters. The texts, emails and phone calls I have received from them have been filled with fear – fear for themselves, fear for their Hispanic and African American friends, for their Muslim and Jewish friends, for their LBGT friends, for their Asian friends. I’ve felt their tears and I’ve felt their fear.

“We as a nation must find a way to move forward without consigning those who Trump has threatened to the shadows. Their fear is entirely rational, because Donald Trump has talked openly about doing terrible things to them. Every news piece that breathlessly obsesses over inauguration preparations compounds their fear by normalizing a man who has threatened to tear families apart, who has bragged about sexually assaulting women and who has directed crowds of thousands to intimidate reporters and assault African Americans. Their fear is legitimate and we must refuse to let it fall through the cracks between the fluff pieces.

“If this is going to be a time of healing, we must first put the responsibility for healing where it belongs: at the feet of Donald Trump, a sexual predator who lost the popular vote and fueled his campaign with bigotry and hate. Winning the electoral college does not absolve Trump of the grave sins he committed against millions of Americans. Donald Trump may not possess the capacity to assuage those fears, but he owes it to this nation to try.

“If Trump wants to roll back the tide of hate he unleashed, he has a tremendous amount of work to do and he must begin immediately.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

tadashi posted:

To more seriously reply. Yes, the democratic establishment loved Hillary. They loved her so much they did everything in their power to make sure she became the nominee without having to struggle through a tough primary and then they did everything in their power to make sure she became president. The thing was that nobody other than the democratic establishment loved Hillary and a lot of people outside the democratic establishment downright hated her.

• Locked thread