Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer
So I gotta ask now that it's being done, is there a strong debate in the black community on the use of "friend of the family" to refer to one another/yourselves? Is it controversial? How do you guys feel about it?

Also at the risk of being patronizing I'd caution against throwing it around willy-nilly in relation to forum rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Black Dynamite is one of the best films I've ever seen. You can absolutely tell it was a labour of love since the humour comes from a good place of appreciation for the genres it's portraying, and not the sneering style that's so common with lesser films.

Even the production style was perfect.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

negromancer posted:

Well, at least no one can question your allyship now. That takes some intestinal fortitude right there.

After seeing some of the poo poo in this thread, I was going to say that until they've actually sacrificed for it, you can't be sure if a white person is an ally or just a coalition member who's only there till the goal.

I hope to live up to that and you're an inspiration.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012

Lightning Knight posted:

So I gotta ask now that it's being done, is there a strong debate in the black community on the use of "friend of the family" to refer to one another/yourselves? Is it controversial? How do you guys feel about it?

Also at the risk of being patronizing I'd caution against throwing it around willy-nilly in relation to forum rules.

If you are black and use it I don't care. If you are black and do not use it, I do not care. Just don't ever refer to me as it as a term of endearment....ever.

I personally refuse to say it outside of being in context of something. I think white people should follow that example. They gave that word to us, they can't just take it back.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless
This is a good read for all of the "shocked" and "dismayed" white people over the election.

https://bullshit.ist/on-woke-white-people-advertising-their-shock-that-racism-just-won-a-presidency-68286682047d#.5umwzvw98

Lightning Knight posted:

No one uses friend of the family in the black community to refer to themselves or any other black person.

Like...huh?

That's like asking a bunch of Jews if they ever use kike with each other.

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

HotCanadianChick posted:

Predictably, she doubled down:

('Former' daughter in law because I'm her former son now)

lol

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

:gb2gbs:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

negromancer posted:

Well, at least no one can question your allyship now. That takes some intestinal fortitude right there.

Not really. What would have taken intestinal fortitude would have been attempting to live with myself had I not called them out on their bullshit and stood up for common goddamn decency and respect for PoC. It was actually a pretty easy decision for me.

Anyone who feels that it's too much work or too difficult to cut friends and family that exhibit a tolerance for racism of any stripe out of their life should be taking a long, hard look in the mirror and thinking about how they really feel on the subject. Letting little poo poo slide just because they're you're friends and family and you don't want to hurt their feelings is how institutional and closet racism keeps going on strong.

E: sweet, I must have pissed off one of the lurking racists enough to get them to waste money on my new title! Means I'm doing the right thing if it's helping make racists poorer and angrier.

Militant Lesbian fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Nov 11, 2016

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer

HotCanadianChick posted:

Not really. What would have taken intestinal fortitude would have been attempting to live with myself had I not called them out on their bullshit and stood up for common goddamn decency and respect for PoC. It was actually a pretty easy decision for me.

Anyone who feels that it's too much work or too difficult to cut friends and family that exhibit a tolerance for racism of any stripe out of their life should be taking a long, hard look in the mirror and thinking about how they really feel on the subject. Letting little poo poo slide just because they're you're friends and family and you don't want to hurt their feelings is how institutional and closet racism keeps going on strong.

My big fear is dealing with coworkers. There's at least one I know I'm going to have to see at our team lunch today who I know voted straight republican. It's nice to be principled, but also as a trans woman I'd like to not lose my very good job because I hurt the racist's feelings. It's a lovely situation to be in.

PantherWill
Feb 23, 2013
Well, seeing as how it's Veteran's Day and all and we're supposed to thank a vet, from one vet to another, thanks negromancer for everything you've done and will hopefully continue to do.

Goddamn, that sounds like some greeting card poo poo, doesn't it?

Morby
Sep 6, 2007

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

My big fear is dealing with coworkers. There's at least one I know I'm going to have to see at our team lunch today who I know voted straight republican. It's nice to be principled, but also as a trans woman I'd like to not lose my very good job because I hurt the racist's feelings. It's a lovely situation to be in.

This is my 2nd day back at work since the election. Thankfully I was scheduled to work remotely the day after. It has been...hard. And awkward. Folks have reached out and been kind, but I am withdrawn and even my boss noticed. She is also equally devastated, since she just married her wife less than 2 weeks ago.

Morby fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Nov 11, 2016

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Just wanted to pop in and say thanks a lot for this thread. I'm trying to get some better perspective and this thread has been real good.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

PantherWill posted:

Well, seeing as how it's Veteran's Day and all and we're supposed to thank a vet, from one vet to another, thanks negromancer for everything you've done and will hopefully continue to do.

Hoo-rah.

I have no idea what other branches do but I'm sure their sound is some terrible knockoff derivative of the Marines

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

I feel this. ON top of the whole being in schools thing , which has been rough since they are all minority-majority, at my other job is a Trumpeteer who I have almost gotten in an altercation with for trans bashing. Luckily I have not had a shift with him since the election yet.

smug n stuff
Jul 21, 2016

A Hobbit's Adventure

negromancer posted:

This is a good read for all of the "shocked" and "dismayed" white people over the election.

https://bullshit.ist/on-woke-white-people-advertising-their-shock-that-racism-just-won-a-presidency-68286682047d#.5umwzvw98

No one uses friend of the family in the black community to refer to themselves or any other black person.

Like...huh?

This was a really pro read, thanks.

Also, at the risk of being a racist shithead, I think LK meant to refer to the word "nigga" without the hard r.

xthetenth
Dec 30, 2012

Mario wasn't sure if this Jeb guy was a good influence on Yoshi.

The way companies and modern career poo poo is structured is daunting as hell to look down the barrel of, and that's with a fat bunch of privilege to insulate me. The big problem for me is that I'm stuck in a county that's redder than Rudolph's nose and basically everyone isn't giving good opportunities but just hints at a flat out 100% untrue idea of the world and history and more than anything I'm not prepared to give a good answer to that that might do something other than drive them into their little bizarro world hugbox, and I'm not prepared to stake my job on that.

Does anyone have more resources that cover stuff like the case for reparations did? I hate to ask people to do my work for me but I don't really know where to start other than asking people who know more, and at least then I can push back on the delusional Lincoln fixed America's race problems forever horseshit.

xthetenth fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Nov 11, 2016

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

HotCanadianChick posted:

E: sweet, I must have pissed off one of the lurking racists enough to get them to waste money on my new title! Means I'm doing the right thing if it's helping make racists poorer and angrier.

So...there's a blog post about it being hard to cut off family members to the level of mom or dad, which is what I was kinda alluding to. It's much harder to cut off a parent than it is someone you made friends with at an old job a couple years ago.

Here's the post: http://thehardtimes.net/2016/11/10/everyone-voted-trump-isnt-dad-dead/

xthetenth posted:

The way companies and modern career poo poo is structured is daunting as hell to look down the barrel of, and that's with a fat bunch of privilege to insulate me. The big problem for me is that I'm stuck in a county that's redder than Rudolph's nose and basically everyone isn't giving good opportunities but just hints at a flat out 100% untrue idea of the world and history and more than anything I'm not prepared to give a good answer to that might do something other than drive them into their little bizarro world hugbox, and I'm not prepared to stake my job on that.

Does anyone have more resources that cover stuff like the case for reparations did? I hate to ask people to do my work for me but I don't really know where to start other than asking people who know more, and at least then I can push back on the delusional Lincoln fixed America's race problems forever horseshit.

The New Jim Crow by Michelle Alexander is a good start.

negromancer fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 11, 2016

hackbunny
Jul 22, 2007

I haven't been on SA for years but the person who gave me my previous av as a joke felt guilty for doing so and decided to get me a non-shitty av

Befriend them outside of work and goad them into starting a drunken fistfight. Only half kidding because that's how I (stupidly but effectively) dealt with my office bully

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

PantherWill posted:

negromancer posted:

Hoo-rah.

I have no idea what other branches do but I'm sure their sound is some terrible knockoff derivative of the Marines

I've been meaning to ask this: how does the black community feel about the armed forces? As a foreigner, it's somewhat surprising for me to see an exchange like this, since the US armed forces are by all metrics a bastion of white supremacy, with no top brass having any melanin, women and religious minorities being subject to absolutely disastrous behaviour, and the fact that the army, as the strong arm of US foreign policy, serves to uphold the status quo. But then again I don't have any lived experience to go on, all I can do is read statistics and listen. So I'm listening now -- what's your feeling on the armed forces and your place within them as PoC?

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

botany posted:

I've been meaning to ask this: how does the black community feel about the armed forces? As a foreigner, it's somewhat surprising for me to see an exchange like this, since the US armed forces are by all metrics a bastion of white supremacy, with no top brass having any melanin, women and religious minorities being subject to absolutely disastrous behaviour, and the fact that the army, as the strong arm of US foreign policy, serves to uphold the status quo. But then again I don't have any lived experience to go on, all I can do is read statistics and listen. So I'm listening now -- what's your feeling on the armed forces and your place within them as PoC?

We have no business in the Armed Forces fighting for poo poo in this country. If you look at the treatment of black people in the military, it's planly evident we have no business fighting for it. Hell, look at our National Anthem that makes light of murdering black slaves in the 3rd stanza.

That being said, sometimes its the only path to avoid jail (my case), afford an education (other's cases), or provide for your family, and I would never begrudge anyone in those situations.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

negromancer posted:

Like...huh?

teen witch posted:

I've confronted him about the whole cops can't tell if your black or African you're a dead friend of the family either way and his response is "I know my rights!"

My entire father's side of the family does not know why he veers to the right. He has seen brutal, violent oppression in the flesh.

But when I have those same fears for me and my sister I'm being "emotional."

negromancer posted:

The best (read: worst) part about the latter type is as SOON as white people let them know they aint nothing but a friend of the family too, its "we ALL need to come together as the African diaspora, and leave old wounds behind" poo poo, like we gonna forget all that poo poo they were talking because a white cop let them know their place in America.

I am sincerely confused. But also as mentioned I suppose it's usually without the -r which I imagine is important.

Edit: your use of it was actually different now that I reread it, I suppose.

I have no idea how to ask/talk about it without being spectacularly uncomfortable. Maybe I shouldn't have asked.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

I am sincerely confused. But also as mentioned I suppose it's usually without the -r which I imagine is important.

I have no idea how to ask/talk about it without being spectacularly uncomfortable. Maybe I shouldn't have asked.

The people you're quoting are putting the word "friend of the family" in the white man's mouth, which is where it lives. Black people talking to each other use "nigga," which is a reclamation of the slur and doesn't mean the same thing.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Lightning Knight posted:

They way we are using it is that we are using it in the voice of those who would harm or kill us.

WE'RE niggers to them.

THEY would think we're niggers.

We obviously don't think that. We aren't referring to them as niggers. We're saying that's how we're referred as behind closed doors.

LunarShadow
Aug 15, 2013

Lightning Knight posted:

It isn't that confusing. They are using it to describe how black people in general are viewed by whites. Whie racism (doesn't care if you are Nigerian, Botswanan, Jamaican, etc.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

Tiny Brontosaurus posted:

The people you're quoting are putting the word "friend of the family" in the white man's mouth, which is where it lives. Black people talking to each other use "nigga," which is a reclamation of the slur and doesn't mean the same thing.

So how do you feel about that reclamation?

negromancer posted:

They way we are using it is that we are using it in the voice of those who would harm or kill us.

WE'RE niggers to them.

THEY would think we're niggers.

We obviously don't think that. We aren't referring to them as niggers. We're saying that's how we're referred as behind closed doors.

LunarShadow posted:

It isn't that confusing. They are using it to describe how black people in general are viewed by whites. Whie racism (doesn't care if you are Nigerian, Botswanan, Jamaican, etc.

In retrospect I understand this better. I didn't read close enough. My apologies.

FilthIncarnate
Aug 13, 2007

Weird owl has life all figured out

Doc Hawkins posted:

"The Greatest African-American and Afro-american Martial Artists in History"

Would buy tickets to movies about any of these people, tia Hollywood.

I beg the thread's pardon; I wish to make an addition to this list.

From Mestre Bimba's Wikipedia page:

quote:

In 1936, Bimba challenged fighters of any martial art style to test his regional style. He had four matches, fighting against Henrique Bahia, Vítor Benedito Lopes, Américo Ciência and fellow capoeira master José Custódio "Zé I" dos Santos. Bimba won all matches, and received the nickname of "Três Pancadas" ("Three Hits"), meaning he only need three strikes at most to finish an opponent.

quote:

Related to his challenges, Bimba had a famous rivalry with other mestres about whether it was valid or not using hand strikes in the roda,[3] especially after he finished an opponent with a telefone or galopante. Machado's main detractor, Lúcio "Barra Preta" de Tal, who had lost money with the result of the match, supposedly ambushed him on the street in August 1936, carrying a gun and accompanied by six policemen armed with sabers. A scuffle broke up, only for Bimba to disarm and knock all the seven men senseless

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manuel_dos_Reis_Machado

Some of those details are possibly embellished, but Bimba did famously have a standing offer to fight anyone who challenged him, and he remained undefeated his whole life.

Honestly, I'm unsure why there are not more capoeiristas on that list in general; off the top of my head, I could name a number of currently active capoeiristas who are world-class martial artists of afro-brazilian descent.

Preview edit: I see the thread has moved on; I apologize, and I hope my attempt at a contribution will not be unduly disruptive.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lightning Knight posted:

Personally I don't say "nigga," but I don't care if other black people do. In an intangible way I can't quite express it's more of a male thing than a female thing anyway, so it doesn't come up much in my life.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
I use nigga all the time. In private and when hanging out with my brother and our friends. I never use it in public.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

This is related to something posted much earlier in this thread, but negromancer mentioned moving to Senegal and I was wondering how American black people are generally treated in different parts of Africa (since I'm sure it probably varies by region to some extent, especially in the case of a country like Liberia that also has American roots). From what I've heard from American-born Chinese people, they could never really fit in when they visited China due to general cultural differences (and apparently a really noticeable American accent when speaking Chinese).

My guess is that, while the general white racial supremacy would be absent from many/most African countries (though in countries with more past/present colonial influence you still often have colorism problems), there would still be very big cultural barriers due to general lived experiences (not to mention the fact that there are many different ethnic groups in Africa, and while most Americans might see them all as "black", that isn't really the case in Africa itself where various "black" ethnic groups are often still minorities in their respective countries).

So, broadly speaking, are black Americans seen as "one of them" by Africans in Senegal (or whatever country someone might have experience with)? Or is there an attitude similar to the one many West Africans have towards black Americans (which apparently can involve a lot of negative stereotypes; I think one or two posters talked about this in the Misogynoir thread).

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Nov 11, 2016

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Africans consume american cultural exports just as much as anybody else, so they've absorbed our messaging about "thugs" and think they're as above all that as everyone else in the world does.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

negromancer posted:

We have no business in the Armed Forces fighting for poo poo in this country. If you look at the treatment of black people in the military, it's planly evident we have no business fighting for it. Hell, look at our National Anthem that makes light of murdering black slaves in the 3rd stanza.

That being said, sometimes its the only path to avoid jail (my case), afford an education (other's cases), or provide for your family, and I would never begrudge anyone in those situations.

Also historically every time black soldiers were sought and promised a chance to show the world our mettle and be rewarded with respect from it they got dropped and forgotten as soon as the fight was over.

In ww2 not even waiting until then, soldiers were getting lynched if they left the bases.

I still think military can be a source of upward mobility if you're out of options but they're cutting the benefits day by day now it feels like.

botany
Apr 27, 2013

by Lowtax

negromancer posted:

This was pretty much my gut feeling as well, but it's nice to get some perspective, thank you. If anyone else wants to contribute views or anecdotes, I'd very much appreciate it.

Morby
Sep 6, 2007
My grandfather's unit of the Navy was recognized as having integrated that branch of the military only about 5 years before he died in 2014. The paperwork and proof got "lost" for decades. He also was one of the first black men in Airborne units. He and his Navy buddies fought for decades to be recognized for what they did. I'm just glad he got to live and see it finally happen. He'll always be my favorite veteran.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

negromancer posted:

Hell, I might come on down to Sweden. I can pretty much get a job anywhere and I'm sure I can apply for asylum on the account of the orange rage golem taking office.

Yeeeaaah, if you're thinking of going there to get away from racism and xenophobic political parties, well...it's complicated. It's about the same here as in the rest of Europe, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Which incidentally, sums up the situation for just about everyone right now.

Tangentially related question, we all know the US is a cesspool of racism, but how are black people treated in the UK? Since the UK doesn't have this history of slavery I'm wondering if they are having to deal with less bullshit than their american siblings.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

McCloud posted:

Yeeeaaah, if you're thinking of going there to get away from racism and xenophobic political parties, well...it's complicated. It's about the same here as in the rest of Europe, and it's going to get worse before it gets better. Which incidentally, sums up the situation for just about everyone right now.

Tangentially related question, we all know the US is a cesspool of racism, but how are black people treated in the UK? Since the UK doesn't have this history of slavery I'm wondering if they are having to deal with less bullshit than their american siblings.

The entire anglosphere is absolute poo poo tripping over its self dashing towards reactionary nationalist movements.

negromancer
Aug 20, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Ytlaya posted:

This is related to something posted much earlier in this thread, but negromancer mentioned moving to Senegal and I was wondering how American black people are generally treated in different parts of Africa (since I'm sure it probably varies by region to some extent, especially in the case of a country like Liberia that also has American roots). From what I've heard from American-born Chinese people, they could never really fit in when they visited China due to general cultural differences (and apparently a really noticeable American accent when speaking Chinese).

My guess is that, while the general white racial supremacy would be absent from many/most African countries (though in countries with more past/present colonial influence you still often have colorism problems), there would still be very big cultural barriers due to general lived experiences (not to mention the fact that there are many different ethnic groups in Africa, and while most Americans might see them all as "black", that isn't really the case in Africa itself where various "black" ethnic groups are often still minorities in their respective countries).

So, broadly speaking, are black Americans seen as "one of them" by Africans in Senegal (or whatever country someone might have experience with)? Or is there an attitude similar to the one many West Africans have towards black Americans (which apparently can involve a lot of negative stereotypes; I think one or two posters talked about this in the Misogynoir thread).

It varies from country to country and person to person. Some people recognize that a lot of American media (and by extension white people) are bullshit and don't believe it whatsoever, because that same media also says they live in mud huts and talk in clicking noises.

You usually get the people who believe in the racist poo poo in the upper crust of their societies, who already live with a FYGM attitude towards their own people, and if you dig deep enough on those here who profess that hatred towards American blacks, you'll see they hate their own at home too.

Lightning Knight posted:

I say nigga all the time. I call everyone niggas. Whites, blacks, dogs, cats. It's the inflection and tone that other black people pick up on which let's you know who or what I'm talking about.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

McCloud posted:

The UK had slavery, they just ended it earlier than we did. On the islands, not sure about the colonies but I'm sure that continued long past, maybe under another name.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.
The UK is like France: different type of bullshit than in the US, but there's no less of it.

Tiny Brontosaurus
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Kassad posted:

The UK is like France: different type of bullshit than in the US, but there's no less of it.

That's a really good rule of thumb in general. There is no racism-free country, there are just different types of racism.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
In the UK the police and other institutions have pretty much the same problem with black people that America does, but due to the less trigger happy culture "Police shoot unarmed black man" is more newsworthy when it does happen. The case of Mark Duggan is a good example.

Up until recently one of most popular comedians in Britain among a certain generation was Bernard Manning. Don't look him up, seriously.

IIRC you can still buy actual Golliwog dolls in gift stores up and down the country and a couple of years ago one was for sale in Sandringham estate. You know, one of the Queen's houses.

Britain has a ton of racism.

• Locked thread