Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta
Coal miners

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

The real answer is that you're too late to make a play on these from a speculation standpoint. Your chance was yesterday before 10:00am.

There might be a bit of speculation left but the train has 90% left the station.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy

DNK posted:

The real answer is that you're too late to make a play on these from a speculation standpoint. Your chance was yesterday before 10:00am.

There might be a bit of speculation left but the train has 90% left the station.

Does this mean that I should be long UNP?

Kal Torak
Jul 17, 2003

When Giles sends me on a mission, he says "please". And afterwards I get a cookie.
Nasdaq getting killed.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

Kal Torak posted:

Nasdaq getting killed.

I try not to be a bleating Talebian adherent here, but this morning I decided it was time to start following his model and buy NDX puts as Trump's administration starts to get solidified.

I'm up 300% :feelsgood:

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Question - I've never traded stocks before, but I've always wanted to have a few shares of Google in case it does balloon into Berkshire Hathaway in the next 30 years so I'm not stuck looking like an idiot. Would Robinhood be the cheapest/easiest way to do this? Or would Vanguard be a safer option?

crazypeltast52
May 5, 2010

revmoo posted:

Coal miners

See, I still don't trust coal. The regulatory environment to favor coal, specifically appalachian coal would have to be anti fracking to stop natural gas from crowding it out, easing of worker safety laibility in eastern mines, removing the sulphur restrictions that made western coal more attractive and easing of CO2 restrictions. The last two I can see, but the first two might be harder sells.

Dwight Eisenhower
Jan 24, 2006

Indeed, I think that people want peace so much that one of these days governments had better get out of the way and let them have it.

EugeneJ posted:

Question - I've never traded stocks before, but I've always wanted to have a few shares of Google in case it does balloon into Berkshire Hathaway in the next 30 years so I'm not stuck looking like an idiot. Would Robinhood be the cheapest/easiest way to do this? Or would Vanguard be a safer option?

In terms of legal obligations, the only differentiating factor is commissions; if Robinhood goes belly up then you still own Google shares and can transfer them to another broker.

But you're talking about buying and holding Google over the long haul which is less "trading" and more "long-term investing". Which means:

- You should head over to this thread
- If you want to park and forget, putting that money on Google is much more risky than buying an index fund that includes Google.
- Vanguard's a great place for long term investing.

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
Jesus Christ RGR. Down another 8% today.

cowofwar
Jul 30, 2002

by Athanatos
Even with president trump and a super majority coal is dead.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Dwight Eisenhower posted:

In terms of legal obligations, the only differentiating factor is commissions; if Robinhood goes belly up then you still own Google shares and can transfer them to another broker.

But you're talking about buying and holding Google over the long haul which is less "trading" and more "long-term investing". Which means:

- You should head over to this thread
- If you want to park and forget, putting that money on Google is much more risky than buying an index fund that includes Google.
- Vanguard's a great place for long term investing.

Thank you!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

cowofwar posted:

Even with president trump and a super majority coal is dead.

Yeah all those coal miners who think Trump is somehow going to make coal Huuuge again are in for a rude awakening. Even if he guts the EPA, energy is cheap (especially natural gas), and there's no real economic incentive to re-open closed coal mines or build new coal power plants or whatever. And a trade war is not exactly good news for coal exports, either.

http://www.americangeosciences.org/critical-issues/faq/how-much-coal-does-us-export-and-import

The only way I could see it happening would be massive government subsidies for coal, which, hmm. Republicans do love to spend piles of money on welfare, when it benefits corn farmers, defense contractors, and oil companies, so mayyyybe.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Nov 10, 2016

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Coal is dead yeah... he can life support it for a bit maybe but it's what half the price it was just a few years ago and showing no signs of stopping the fall? I don't see how increasing supply would help that situation either.

As to the dude thinking about what to buy in protectionist America; not sure really but I bought FCX first thing yesterday morning, missed the initial gap up but it spiked again today. They mine copper outside the USA as well but mostly I'm thinking that if Trump follows through on massive infrastructure improvement/spending then the demand for copper will go up.

Yeah you missed the initial US Steel speculation but idk I think that has more room to grow as well over the next year. We'll see how well Trump follows through I suppose.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
The rail industry got a bump from this coal talk as well.

Well, not KSU. I have no idea why.

Motley fool thinks it's because of a trade war with Mexico.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
Pot stocks gettin hammered again today. Not too worried though since they didn't really start going nuts until mid Dec and into the following year the last time there was a round of legalizations. Was sort of hoping that California of all places would affect that but if thats the chronology they have to follow then so be it.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
What are the pot stocks de jour in this thread?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
I'm still debating whether to buy now, or wait for the market's Trump enthusiasm to cool off a bit. There's no way this rally continues for long.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

I'm still debating whether to buy now, or wait for the market's Trump enthusiasm to cool off a bit. There's no way this rally continues for long.

Considering they are editing his campaign promises on his webpage to be much less extreme?

You tell me?

VendaGoat fucked around with this message at 23:29 on Nov 10, 2016

Pryor on Fire
May 14, 2013

they don't know all alien abduction experiences can be explained by people thinking saving private ryan was a documentary

You mean a politician lied and we're not building a wall or deporting all the muslims? Well I'm shocked, how could this be?!?!?!?

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Pryor on Fire posted:

You mean a politician lied and we're not building a wall or deporting all the muslims? Well I'm shocked, how could this be?!?!?!?

Blame Canada.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

VendaGoat posted:

Considering they are editing his campaign promises on his webpage to be much less extreme?

You tell me?

They've already restored the removed stuff?
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-muslim-ban-removed-from-website-2016-11

Maybe. I couldn't read much before BI got pissy about my adblocker, but gently caress their ads.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Leperflesh posted:

They've already restored the removed stuff?
http://www.businessinsider.com/trump-muslim-ban-removed-from-website-2016-11

Maybe. I couldn't read much before BI got pissy about my adblocker, but gently caress their ads.

https://www.donaldjtrump.com/policies/immigration/
https://www.donaldjtrump.com/press-releases/donald-j.-trump-statement-on-preventing-muslim-immigration

Ctrl+F "Muslim"

We all could have guessed that their would be some form of pullback, for whatever reason. In the context that this means to us investor and stock speculators though, we have no loving idea where the lines will actually be drawn.

And markets do not like uncertainty.

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel
Am I the only one who sees the current market volatility as a inter-sector rotation which has been a long time coming?

Utilities are getting killed, after being at elevated valuations for a significant time frame.
Big name technology has had a pretty fantastic run and is now taking a hit. Their valuations are high, regardless of growth.
Industrials have previously performed like poo poo, but are now being pushed higher.
Financials have been puttering along for years, and are now finally correcting.

The overhanging metric to all of these are interest rates. Yields have been depressed since the last recession. Eventually something had to break. While speculation on the policies of a GOP controlled government might have sparked it off, once people started headed to the exits in the bond market, it is no surprise everyone followed. I think investors were waiting with their hand over the button for a while now. Trump just gave them a reason to press it.

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Holy Christ NVidia :stare:

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Omnicarus posted:

Well for once in my life I pick the right couple of shares to buy. I am going to hang onto them.

People don't understand - this isn't about video cards. Stuff like deep learning and neural networks are going to easily eclipse video cards in the next decade. Now it's "NVidia makes video cards and dabbles in deep learning" and in the future it's going to be "NVidia is the world leader in deep learning and smart systems... and they also make some video cards still too."

Just my $0.02.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Nov 11, 2016

Omnicarus
Jan 16, 2006

Three-Phase posted:

Well for once in my life I pick the right couple of shares to buy. I am going to hang onto them.

People don't understand - this isn't about video cards. Stuff like deep learning and neural networks are going to easily eclipse video cards in the next decade. Now it's "NVidia makes video cards and dabbles in deep learning" and in the future it's going to be "NVidia is the world leader in deep learning and smart systems... and they also make some video cards still too."

Just my $0.02.

I completely agree here, especially with SUMMIT being deployed at Oak Ridge next year as a collaboration between NVidia, IBM, Google, and Department of Energy. TITAN was a pretty interesting system that was a hybrid CPU-GPU system almost as an afterthought - just a neat idea that ended up working really well. Now that they are purposefully implementing it and going for a ridiculous CPU to GPU ratio NVidia is going to be on the forefront of supercomputing for deep learning for the foreseeable future.

Omnicarus fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Nov 11, 2016

Nondescript Van
May 2, 2007

Gats N Party Hats :toot:
bought 1 Nvidia call yesterday and sold today for 430% :woop:

Also, why is JDST up 24% today?

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Nondescript Van posted:

bought 1 Nvidia call yesterday and sold today for 430% :woop:

Also, why is JDST up 24% today?
I've been completely out of the loop in the wake of election stuff but had I known NVDA was reporting, km still not sure I would have made a move. I just didn't think their AI stuff had grown much and Pascal's compute numbers just aren't that impressive.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Omnicarus posted:

I completely agree here, especially with SUMMIT being deployed at Oak Ridge next year as a collaboration between NVidia, IBM, Google, and Department of Energy. TITAN was a pretty interesting system that was a hybrid CPU-GPU system almost as an afterthought - just a neat idea that ended up working really well. Now that they are purposefully implementing it and going for a ridiculous CPU to GPU ratio NVidia is going to be on the forefront of supercomputing for deep learning for the foreseeable future.

I was talking to my dad about Nvidia several weeks ago about the Pascal architecture and how they are really diversifying. The deep learning and neural network systems are going to be an astronomical game changer.

Imagine this: your cable goes out. You call support:
"Hello, cable support, is this Three-Phase?"
"Uh, yes."
"How are you doing? Icy roads out today!"
"Not bad, yeah really slick and dangerous!"
"I take it you're calling about a cable outage that happened this afternoon?"
"Yes!"
"About that - we think there was a car accident that damaged a pole our lines are on. We dispatched people ten minutes ago but they are waiting for the police and fire to secure the scene. We're really sorry about this. You know what, you've been with us for five years too. I'm going to take $20 off your bill. Can I call you back when we get more information?"

Except that'll be a computer you're chatting with. Probably one using Nvidia neural network technology. Plus they will be keeping track of everything when people call - they will WANT people to call about support issues and comments so they can understand their own network. You cannot do that with a call center in India. So those jobs will be completely gone.

Question: are Intel and AMD going to be a significant competitor in that space or are they going to be left in the dust?

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Nov 11, 2016

DNK
Sep 18, 2004

Pascal is amazing -- you seriously have no idea what you're talking about. It's a huge watershed moment in the GPU business due to its thermal efficiency and size. Desktop-powerful GPUs in laptops are now possible without turning them into 12lb heaters.

The 1060 performs about 5% better across the board vs 970, costs 25% less, and uses 20% less power while being small enough to put inside a laptop. It's insane. (e: slight hyperbole here -- the laptop cuts of the pascal generation are still less powerful than their desktop versions but not by much.)

Big moments in computer hardware:
CPUs: 64bit --> multi-core --> die-shrink power efficiency
HDD: SSDs
GPU: Pascal
Monitor: 1920x1080 --> IPS panels --> 4k

DNK fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 11, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Remember that with supercomputers and data centers you save at least TWICE with power efficiency. Once for electricity, and another for cost of cooling.

So 20% less power could actually provide something like 40% savings in combined costs of power and cooling in a data center. To cool a data center you need tons of infrastructure - high voltage switchgear, chillers, piping, heat exchangers, cooling towers, and so forth. So higher efficiency alone has a massive knock-on in savings.

Plus with chillers if you can run fewer of them with less load it saves in maintenance costs.

You may also be able to argue with cooler and more efficient chips the MTBF is higher so cost of ownership and makntenance goes down.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Nov 11, 2016

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I would like to see Nvidia doing more cool stuff with thee technology like AI. At least as a tech demo.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

DNK posted:

Pascal is amazing -- you seriously have no idea what you're talking about. It's a huge watershed moment in the GPU business due to its thermal efficiency and size. Desktop-powerful GPUs in laptops are now possible without turning them into 12lb heaters.

The 1060 performs about 5% better across the board vs 970, costs 25% less, and uses 20% less power while being small enough to put inside a laptop. It's insane. (e: slight hyperbole here -- the laptop cuts of the pascal generation are still less powerful than their desktop versions but not by much.)

Big moments in computer hardware:
CPUs: 64bit --> multi-core --> die-shrink power efficiency
HDD: SSDs
GPU: Pascal
Monitor: 1920x1080 --> IPS panels --> 4k
I thought most of the performance gains in Pascal over Maxwell were due to higher clock speeds and that you didn't actually see much IPC gain.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Uh it went from 24 to 26% now. Not complaining.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Three phase you lost me when you implied a cable company cares if its product works

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

shame on an IGA posted:

Three phase you lost me when you implied a cable company cares if its product works

I can always dream.

But be aware that game-changing gamma products are rarely expected - hindsight is 20/20. It may take some time but I expect there to eventually be strong competitors to existing cable and telecoms and they will need to adapt or die.

Also consider a computer system taking up a cabinet replacing an entire call center of people who barely can speak English and cannot do anything more than read from a script in broken English. "Hey we can save a ton of money and actually give customers a much better experience too."

V - That is very true and believe me I don't love cable telecom or cell companies. Part of that might be the AI just talking with the customers.

Three-Phase fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Nov 11, 2016

revmoo
May 25, 2006

#basta

shame on an IGA posted:

Yeah the reality would be more like a cable company using deep learning to associate its customer accounts with social media, census data, lexisnexis info, to calculate which customers would be least likely to notice random additional charges added to their bills.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Oh my god you just found the startup tech company idea I've been waiting for my entire life

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cable companies will adapt to new game-changing content delivery technology companies the same way they always have: by buying out any competition to maintain their localized monopolies.

And, being forced to talk to a computer instead of a human is absolutely infuriating. Those systems had better have absoltuely incredible voice recognition tech, AI, and provide an ability to request a human operator, because fully-computerized robo-responders drive people into frothing rages of account-cancellation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Omnicarus posted:

I sold all mine a week or so ago

:suicide: