Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fiction
Apr 28, 2011

lazorexplosion posted:

I propose we change the phrase 'like a rat off a sinking ship' to 'like a Democrat voter off the Clinton campaign' not just to be more sensitive to the coastal Jewish communities but also to remind Venom Snake that he's a god drat idiot.

hey gently caress off dummy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Honestly, I think there might be contingent of voters who want the guy most seemingly opposed to DC to run the place.

Like, plenty of white Americans are sort of racist but know white supremacy or some variation on that idea is real and is bad, so sending a black guy to DC makes sense to screw with the system. They might be afraid of crime in the "inner cities," but they know a few black or brown people that are good people.

Similarly, Trump is a goddamn reality show freak so hopefully he'll hurt the elite in the country in some way to, since they all seem to detest him so much. GOP backers tend to not be super public, so if you're not up on the news you can miss out on the collection of bizarre billionaires backing him.

These people aren't hardcore white nationalists, but minority issues are not really important to them.

Ok that's my unscientific take on why Trump can be elected while Obama is popular, I'll go back to Leftist taunts after this.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Venom Snake posted:

I'm not going to argue about this anymore. I'm just worried that the discourse is going to get really toxic. I'm sorry.
Someone used extremely common the "rat fleeing a sinking ship" analogy and youre crying that it's getting "really toxic" are you serious

TheShazbot
Feb 20, 2011

How about Governor Kate Brown from Oregon for prez in 2020.

Not sure this would pass the "working-class white" test, but why the hell not.

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Venom Snake posted:

The sheer amount of unbridled hatred the NOVA/D.C. Dems have for NY Establishment right now would be downright hilarious if it wasn't to late.

As a NYC Democrat who votes in every primary: :same:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Venom Snake posted:

lol why is it so hard to just call chuck out for what he's done in the past and his lovely policies.

Because it is a common turn of phrase that is very applicable to the current situation with the DNC. Clinton supporters are fleeing like rats off a sinking ship. And I think it is something that's important for people to realize as part of the autopsy on this election. If something says something like "rats off a sinking ship" and the response is to tell them that is toxic because it includes the word "rats" and sometimes people who are racists call jewish people rats and therefore you should not use that totally unrelated phrase because this is a safe space ...well, all that does is cause people to tune you out and not listen to anything you have to say.

If the democrats want to recover they need to spend less time tone policing and more time solving real problems.

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Venom Snake posted:

One thing Sanders crowd could do is unfuck the fact so many of the state parties are a hot mess.

also interesting:

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/797140994219212801

LOL

he's gonna leave office at 60-40 isn't he

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

How did the Working Families Party do in NY this election btw?

I know Teachout lost.

Fusion tickets are a niche strategy but their emphasis of getting grassroots support and local involvement seems pretty great.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

crazy cloud posted:

rip neoliberalism, hail satan

same but at the same time if even a hack like Schumer sees which way the wind is blowing, :twisted:

in loving shallah

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Zoran posted:

1. We should do everything we can to marginalize deep-pocketed donors and build a sustainable, broad base of low-dollar donations.

2. The DNC could save a shitload of money by never buying another TV ad ever again.

You need money to compete in politics, and whatever sustainable, broad base of low-dollar donations brings in, is probably a fraction of what what just a couple of the GOP billionaire donors will cough up.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Fast Luck posted:

Someone used extremely common the "rat fleeing a sinking ship" analogy and youre crying that it's getting "really toxic" are you serious

lol, and this is why we have people literally voting against "political correctness"

Not because they think calling Jewish people rats is good and okay and something we should do, but instead because just SHUT THE gently caress UP NO ONE CARES

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Tiny silver lining to this whole shitshow:

https://twitter.com/BenjySarlin/status/797144436383903745

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

"I'm gonna drop a factory right into the middle of this town, and we're gonna make the fuckers who sold you out pay for it!" is going to win you votes, dude.

emptyquote

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

TyrantWD posted:

You need money to compete in politics, and whatever sustainable, broad base of low-dollar donations brings in, is probably a fraction of what what just a couple of the GOP billionaire donors will cough up.

as it turns out the people who were for citizens united might have had a point

Goldman Sachs being associated with Clinton probably dropped her # of votes more than any number of ads their $$$ bought her

comingafteryouall
Aug 2, 2011

Zoran posted:

1. We should do everything we can to marginalize deep-pocketed donors and build a sustainable, broad base of low-dollar donations.

2. The DNC could save a shitload of money by never buying another TV ad ever again.

This.

The deep pocket donors don't have the power now. The Republicans already made that ABUNDANTLY clear. The people have the power to shape the campaign narrative. We can get what we want if we ask for it loudly enough and make a fuss about not voting if they don't give it to us. And we want a populist party pushing for left wing ideals.

If the deep pocket donors want their social issues, they will have to acquiesce to our economic issues.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:
These next few years are going to be so strange to live through.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Zikan posted:

here's a draft for the message on getting involved with the DNC. it's aimed toward sharing on fb so less "full communism now" then i would have done. I’ll probably add more and edit it but the civil war is loving on and we need to start fighting

It is not a vote of the party membership but a vote of the committee members, which range from state democratic party chairpersons to the members of various organizations. There are also 200 appointed committee member that are difficult to even find out who they are.

We must mobilize. We must make our voices heard. We must let the elites who have lead us astray know our anger.

I have spent the past few days collecting a list of the contact information of all the DNC committee members I could find. This list is incomplete and may have some wrong information. If it does let me know so I can correct it. But it is a start

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1S7w8tvS0NWA3AX8JdFjZLLAW7f_S4hp2T3416ttjBtg/edit?usp=sharing

E-mail your state chair. Call you state party headquarters. Write letters. Tell your friends. Organize.

Do not let them take this opportunity away from us again.

That's a good idea! Let me see who my rep is-

quote:

Illinois Michael Madagin
:sigh: never mind

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

https://twitter.com/daveweigel/status/797141594000527360

Does anyone know who made this "strategic decision" (an insult to both words)? Was it Mook? Clinton herself? Some unaccountable committee of nobodies whose names only a few dozen people know, or will ever know?

The problem was nobody was making the strategy. It was 20 different people without a unifying voice.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

SirPhoebos posted:

also lol at Venom's analogies in the OP.

You want a WW2 analogy that makes sense? How about Munich 1938. The dems sold out their principles to avoid a bigger disaster...and then the big disaster happened anyway.

i found vs's analogy highly dubious as the red army won in stalingrad without a decimated nazi leadership

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Maybe this whole mess will make Citizens United moot? :shrug: I can hope.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

mrmcd posted:

Uhh don't you know white working class voters love poisoned soil and leaded drinking water?? You don't want to look like you're anti jobs to working class voters!!!

Would fixing the drinking water solve racism? Would not poisoning the soil solve sexism? We need to think about things that are realistic, and important.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Typo posted:

Goldman Sachs being associated with Clinton probably dropped her # of votes more than any number of ads their $$$ bought her

The presidency is a different story than other races though. Even if you never see a single ad you still are exposed via news coverage and your peers talking about it. Being able to drop $1,000,000 in to Statehouse District 3 when their opponent is running on a $20k total budget is where it fucks poo poo up.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

Atrocious Joe posted:

http://www.commondreams.org/news/2016/10/28/what-crock-clinton-breaks-dapl-silence-statement-says-literally-nothing

"all voices should be heard"

the spokesperson released very little during the campaign and was possibly chosen because her name sounds indigenous

The laughable Xochitl girl.

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

SirPhoebos posted:

That's a good idea! Let me see who my rep is-

:sigh: never mind

do it anyway

make them scared make them afraid

his machine won't be any good if the country burns around him

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Zikan posted:

do it anyway

make them scared make them afraid

his machine won't be any good if the country burns around him

yeah i emailed that dick already

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

comingafteryouall posted:

This.

The deep pocket donors don't have the power now. The Republicans already made that ABUNDANTLY clear. The people have the power to shape the campaign narrative. We can get what we want if we ask for it loudly enough and make a fuss about not voting if they don't give it to us. And we want a populist party pushing for left wing ideals.

If the deep pocket donors want their social issues, they will have to acquiesce to our economic issues.

The republicans control just about every statehouse and governorship. The deep pocket donors absolutely still have the power.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Venom Snake posted:

The problem was nobody was making the strategy. It was 20 different people without a unifying voice.

so "Some unaccountable committee of nobodies whose names only a few dozen people know, or will ever know" was correct then. Great. That's great.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!
I'm going to remind you guys not to regress into primary chat as a warning. I see some posts about it and I could've dropped some hammers right off.

It's November 11th.

C-SPAM has survived primaries, it was called the Molten Salt Reactor for a while because it got so lovely and bad about primaries so it's probably best to leave specifics of the primaries out.

It loving sucks, it sucks the fun out and people get crazy worked up over it.

The safest way to probably discuss the primaries as part of the DNC Autopsy would be better left off as a never talk about again~

Hillary won it, superdelgates etc. We get it. We KNOW. It doesn't change a thing.

Literally what Bernie has said a few days ago, "We are going to move forward and see how we can win things now."

Lastgirl has issued a correction as of 19:49 on Nov 11, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

Typo posted:

Trump took big donor money wherever he could get it, had a guy from Goldman Sachs leading his fundraising (who is now in line for a cabinet position), and repeatedly said during the campaign that Wall Street is over regulated.

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Thoguh posted:

Because it is a common turn of phrase that is very applicable to the current situation with the DNC. Clinton supporters are fleeing like rats off a sinking ship.

Were not the ones fleeing. Were stuck on this ship and were all going to die if we don't unfuck it. The people who are fleeing are the morons who I went to fundraisers with over this past year swearing to never touch politics again and rolling over ready to die. The Clintons left a lot of people hanging in defeat. None of us are ever going to trust them again.

Homework Explainer posted:

i found vs's analogy highly dubious as the red army won in stalingrad without a decimated nazi leadership

My analogies were absurd "did not actually happens" because everything I knew turned out to be a comedic farce 4 days ago.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Venom Snake posted:

Hell no, they had an extremely organized messaging machine that had columnists nationwide writing their suggested stories, first about how Bernie Sanders doesn't care about black people before then moving on to Trump is a Russian puppet

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Powercrazy posted:

Holy poo poo. I just got hypertension.

There is so much tripling-down on the strategy from this year in there that it's almost funny.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

"the white vote is shrinking! the white vote is shrinking!", i continue to insist as i slowly shrink and transform into a corn cob

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Lastgirl posted:

I'm going to remind you guys not to regress into primary chat as a warning. I see some posts about it and I could've dropped some hammers right off.

It's November 11th.

C-SPAM has survived primaries, it was called the Molten Salt Reactor for a while because it got so lovely and bad about primaries so it's probably best to leave specifics of the primaries out.

It loving sucks, it sucks the fun out and people get crazy worked up over it.

The safest way to probably discuss the primaries as part of the DNC Autopsy would be better left off as a never talk about again~

Hillary won it, superdelgates etc. We get it. We KNOW. It doesn't change a thing.

Literally what Bernie has said a few days ago, "We are going to move forward and see how we can win things now."

I don't think we need to spend time discussing rigging or chair-throwing or whatever, but the case that Bernie was a better candidate absolutely does need to be litigated.

Zoran has issued a correction as of 19:53 on Nov 11, 2016

Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

so "Some unaccountable committee of nobodies whose names only a few dozen people know, or will ever know" was correct then. Great. That's great.

They ran the campaign out of Brooklyn lol.

Fast Luck posted:

Hell no, they had an extremely organized messaging machine that had columnists nationwide writing their suggested stories, first about how Bernie Sanders doesn't care about black people before then moving on to Trump is a Russian puppet

To bad the people who read all those papers were already voting Clinton by a large majority. When it come to reaching out there was no unifying voice.

Organized =/= unified.

Oh Snapple! posted:

There is so much tripling-down on the strategy from this year in there that it's almost funny.

quote:

If the Clintons think they are ever welcome in D.C. ever again they are loving mental

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Venom Snake posted:

My analogies were absurd "did not actually happens" because everything I knew turned out to be a comedic farce 4 days ago.

speaking of historical analogies, we've spent a lot of the cycle finding historical figures to which we can compare Trump, Clinton, etc.

how about Robby Mook? Who are the Robby Mooks of history? Middle-manager types trusted with awesome responsibility who bungled supposedly easy tasks with disastrous consequences? I don't have an immediate answer, so I'm gonna crowd-source it.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Zoran posted:

I don't think we need to spend time discussing rigging or chair-throwing or whatever, but the case that Bernie was a better candidate absolutely does need to be litigated.

I mostly want the DNC establishment to realize that they hosed this up. I was listening to NPR this morning and they blamed voters and even Obama for Hillary losing.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

except everyone's plan for the dnc is just to focus on prez and a few senate seats and maybe 10 total states and condemn the rest of the country they'll never take back state houses

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Zoran posted:

Yeah, this. I'm far more focused on pushing Bernie up right now than complaining about what's already past.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Zoran posted:

Exactly. Especially since the overwhelming narrative at the end of the previous primary debate was "Hillary won, Berniebros now need to support her in the name of unity" and everyone who dissented was made fun of.

• Locked thread