Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yes, seriously!

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/796838538641833990

And while I think there's a reasonable circular-firing-squad purity argument to be made about his lobbyist history I'd love to see ol' Deano back.

There are merits to both. Personally I think we should be taking big risks and go with the black Muslim who we know will try to remake the party in Bernie's image.

But a 50 state strategy would replenish our bench when we need it most.

I'm content either way. Ideally Ellison wins and tweaks the 50 state strategy in a leftist direction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Yes, seriously!

https://twitter.com/GovHowardDean/status/796838538641833990

And while I think there's a reasonable circular-firing-squad purity argument to be made about his lobbyist history I'd love to see ol' Deano back.

edit: also while I would love Chuck Schumer to not be Minority Leader I have no beef with Nancy Pelosi, I think she's done a really good job keeping everyone whipped and honestly don't know enough about her policy to complain about it.

Ellison is the future of the party, not Howard Dean.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

Ogmius815 posted:

Who is Keith Ellison and how should I feel about him? What are his credentials that make people think he will be good to lead the party? It seems like he's just some rando congress critter from Minneapolis.

bernie supported him if that holds any water for you.

so i assume he's an economic reformer with a heavy dose of pluralism. plus he's from minnesota which has been blue for a while now and is doing some pretty cool stuff (its like the anit-wisconsin)

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

And when Orange-Hitler told them he would get rid of brown people, Jews, and Muslims they listens to that as well, and decided they were just fine with allowing that to happen.

Maybe you shouldn't let your pseudo-intellectualism justify whitewashing bigotry.

Most didn't vote. Sorry you're wrong again neoliberal.

Zerg Mans
Oct 19, 2006

Any chance Gabbard could be minority leader? It'd be nice for her to get some sort of bona fides beyond "line house member from surplus naval base we accidentally made a state"

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Ogmius815 posted:

Who is Keith Ellison and how should I feel about him? What are his credentials that make people think he will be good to lead the party? It seems like he's just some rando congress critter from Minneapolis.

He was the first Muslim congressman, Bernie supporter, very well liked in Minneapolis, cool dude and probably can make a sausage when it comes to that.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Most didn't vote. Sorry you're wrong again neoliberal.

They didn't vote because they didn't care if Trump would be elected and enact policies that would destroy the lives of countless non-white, Christian, straight people. That complicitness is bigotry. You can throw around "neoliberal" all you want and pretend you know what it means, but that doesn't change cold, hard facts.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Ogmius815 posted:

He predicted Trump's win before almost anyone else.

Motherfucker gets it.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Ogmius815 posted:

solid left democrat, african american, first muslim in congress (famously swore in on thomas jefferson's copy of the quran)

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

zegermans posted:

Any chance Gabbard could be minority leader? It'd be nice for her to get some sort of bona fides beyond "line house member from surplus naval base we accidentally made a state"

Tulsi Gabbard sucks

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

They didn't vote because they didn't care if Trump would be elected and enact policies that would destroy the lives of countless non-white, Christian, straight people. That complicitness is bigotry. You can throw around "neoliberal" all you want and pretend you know what it means, but that doesn't change cold, hard facts.

Actually it's called not wanting the wife of the man who accelerated their communities decline in power. Unwise but more understandable to you writing them off as Nazis.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

zegermans posted:

Her policies are bad. She's definitely from the corporate wing. You want Ellison. He's one of the shining stars of the party going forward. He's great and he'll do a great job. He gets it.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Oh, this is just fan-loving-tastic:

https://twitter.com/AzmatZahra/status/797155599305895936

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

zegermans posted:

Why do you want someone who has serious issues with Muslim immigrants (including voting to bar refugees from the Middle East) and is buddy-buddy with one of India's leading right wing parties (which really really hates Muslims) and Trump's buddy Sheldon Adelson?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Actually it's called not wanting the wife of the man who accelerated their communities decline in power. Unwise but more understandable to you writing them off as Nazis.

You do realize that racism can be seen as a scale, and not simply "is a Nazi or isn't a Nazi", right?

What am I saying? You've never shown yourself capable of understanding nuance before, why would you possibly start now?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Bip Roberts posted:

He was the first Muslim congressman, Bernie supporter, very well liked in Minneapolis, cool dude and probably can make a sausage when it comes to that.

Well, a rich beef sausage

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Pence is taking over for Christie on the transition team.

https://twitter.com/NBCNews/status/797153600594067456

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

LOL it's like the Onion

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Bad Decision Dino posted:

https://www.mein-grundeinkommen.de/

That phrase is literally from Karl Marx.

You're really bad at making yourself understood and at understanding others. Your posts are borderline non-communicative. It's not an issue of losing something in translation. You just don't give a gently caress what was said prior and just plow forward with whatever point you are trying to make. The sum of an economic system or ideology cannot exist within a single slogan no matter who said it. Regardless, you invoked the slogan without showing how it is even representative of the system you are criticizing with regards to basic income. Then, when told that no a slogan is not communism you continue forward to suggest that it is because it's a Karl Marx quote without bothering to understand the argument you are responding to.

It's loving embarrassing reading this stupid poo poo.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE
Plus, isn't Tulsi Gabbard an islamaphobic..?

E- yeah what fishmech said

The Ol Spicy Keychain fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Nov 11, 2016

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

WOW

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

i think this grossly misstates the actual nature of american elections.

we already know that most people don't vote. something like, what, half the electorate ever shows up?

that means the name of the game is getting people to come out and vote for you. there are vast swaths of untapped voters who don't feel listened to or who do not feel the need to listen.

the goal of elections is to motivate these people to come out and vote.

that means hope and something to vote for.

i think its reductionist to say: those who didn't vote actually voted for trump because if hillary won then the same thing could be said for the same voters which is a gross mischaracterization.

even though its an easy conclusion to come to, parties are not owed votes and voters. it is their responsibility to cater to the masses and get as many as possible to come out and vote for them. because this is the reality of the situation. this is how it is, not how we want it to be.

so let's focus on bringing more people out to vote for the policies we like, and spend less energy chastising the very people we need to win.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

You do realize that racism can be seen as a scale, and not simply "is a Nazi or isn't a Nazi", right?

What am I saying? You've never shown yourself capable of understanding nuance before, why would you possibly start now?

:ironicat: also yay Fishmech is back.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Scent of Worf posted:

Plus, isn't Tulsi Gabbard an islamaphobic..?

she's a big time Narendra Modi fan which places her somewhere on the far side of Gloria La Riva in terms of completely poo poo love affairs with garbage regiemes

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

RaySmuckles posted:

so let's focus on bringing more people out to vote for the policies we like, and spend less energy chastising the very people we need to win.

If "Stop the rise of fascism and white supremacy in this country" wasn't good enough then nothing ever will be. Because whatever the democrats promise the republicans will promise too, with the added bonus of loving over minorities as hard as they can. Turns out the latter trumps (ha) the former every time.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

This is Bush 2.0

1/3 Incompetence
1/3 Stupidity
1/3 Evil

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

:ironicat: also yay Fishmech is back.

I'm not calling them Nazis, you moron. But we can't pretend like the problem of passive bigotry doesn't exist like you want to do simply because it makes you uncomfortable.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

RaySmuckles posted:

i think this grossly misstates the actual nature of american elections.

we already know that most people don't vote. something like, what, half the electorate ever shows up?

that means the name of the game is getting people to come out and vote for you. there are vast swaths of untapped voters who don't feel listened to or who do not feel the need to listen.

to goal of elections is to motivate these people to come out and vote.

that means hope and something to vote for.

i think its reductionist to say: those who didn't vote actually voted for trump because if hillary won then the same thing could be said for the same voters which is a gross mischaracterization.

even though its an easy conclusion to come to, parties are not owed votes and voters. it is their responsibility to cater to the masses and get as many as possible to come out and vote for them. because this is the reality of the situation. this is how it is, not how we want it to be.

So if we hadn't run Clinton do you think the Democrats would have won? Because if that's true then the Democratic planks don't need to change one loving bit and this was an issue with this particular campaign in that they explicitly didn't reach out to those rural/suburban whites.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

If "Stop the rise of fascism and white supremacy in this country" wasn't good enough then nothing ever will be. Because whatever the democrats promise the republicans will promise too, with the added bonus of loving over minorities as hard as they can. Turns out the latter trumps (ha) the former every time.

Well when all you can offer is free trade and the other offers their jobs back they vote for the other guy.

Also if you just want to insult them, you deserve all the tears possible as you destroy the country based on your own barely understood principles.

Crowsbeak fucked around with this message at 20:33 on Nov 11, 2016

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

mcmagic posted:

This is Bush 2.0

1/3 Incompetence
1/3 Stupidity
1/3 Evil

It's like an inversion of Bush kind of

Everyone thought Bush was a moron when he was just really evil

Everyone thinks Trump is evil when he's probably just a moron.

But also evil.

Edible Hat
Jul 23, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When is the IRS expected to end their audit of the President-elect's tax returns? I want to know when that financial information will be shared with the public.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Crowsbeak posted:

Well when all you can offer is free trade and the other offers their jobs back they vote for the other guy.

If these people are too stupid to see through such an obvious lie then they're too stupid to effectively persuade of anything useful.

Pervis
Jan 12, 2001

YOSPOS

Oh, so we're going to go back to shipping people off to places like Egypt, Syria, and Libya to be tortured? I guess given Libya's current state maybe we'll sub Turkey in instead to torture folks. In other news: this is why any talks about what Bush (or now Trump) would have done to support the Arab Spring is loving hilarious, because Bush was busy shipping people off to Syria, Egypt and Libya, so there's no way he would have supported a revolt against the people who were "helping" with "combating Radical Islam".

What an absolute disgrace. I hope someone in Congress loving reads the CIA torture report in to the Congressional Record so we know exactly what's going to happen this time and how "effective" it was last time.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Who What Now posted:

hmm, yes this explains obamas record breaking electoral success...

Admiral Ray posted:

So if we hadn't run Clinton do you think the Democrats would have won? Because if that's true then the Democratic planks don't need to change one loving bit and this was an issue with this particular campaign in that they explicitly didn't reach out to those rural/suburban whites.

i don't know what would have happened. i think the demographics are and have been on the side of the democrats for a long time, numerically indicating that they'd essentially always win the presidency from here on out and it took a special candidate to lose to a republican who also lost votes from 2012. but i don't know what could have happened.

i think hillary clinton was virtually inevitable. she was the embodiment of what the party has become. some people think that's good and great, some people think its bad. but i think she really was ultimately inevitable.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Who What Now posted:

The Republicans won't deliver on those promises because they're the same shills they've always been.

Democrats, on the other hand, just got shattered. We can purge the shills, promise, win, and deliver if we put our minds to it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Where are media getting these names from? It's like a list calculated to form maximum anxiety.

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

greatn posted:

Where are media getting these names from? It's like a list calculated to form maximum anxiety.

A partner at Squire Patton Boggs, most likely.

e: actually probably an associate who has plans to get out.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

FYI: People aren't recognizing Trump as a Hitler-level existential threat to the nation because of racism or sexism. If that's what you think, you are underinformed on the early life and ascent of Adolf Hitler.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

If these people are too stupid to see through such an obvious lie then they're too stupid to effectively persuade of anything useful.

You promised TPP.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

disjoe posted:

The Republicans won't deliver on those promises because they're the same shills they've always been.

Democrats, on the other hand, just got shattered. We can purge the shills, promise, win, and deliver if we put our minds to it.

This. It's time to reorganize. Rise from the ashes.

• Locked thread