Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venom Snake
Feb 19, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

HannibalBarca posted:

speaking of historical analogies, we've spent a lot of the cycle finding historical figures to which we can compare Trump, Clinton, etc.

how about Robby Mook? Who are the Robby Mooks of history? Middle-manager types trusted with awesome responsibility who bungled supposedly easy tasks with disastrous consequences? I don't have an immediate answer, so I'm gonna crowd-source it.

The country of Italy during WW2

mastershakeman posted:

except everyone's plan for the dnc is just to focus on prez and a few senate seats and maybe 10 total states and condemn the rest of the country they'll never take back state houses

Who is everyone?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Venom Snake posted:

One thing Sanders crowd could do is unfuck the fact so many of the state parties are a hot mess.

also interesting:

https://twitter.com/ryanlcooper/status/797140994219212801

because polling places have turned out to be super great and trustworthy in general this year

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Zoran posted:

I don't think we need to spend time discussing rigging or chair-throwing or whatever, but the case that Bernie was a better candidate absolutely does need to be litigated.

No arguments there whatsoever, voted for him :sun:

Just don't get specific and salty about "we should've, could've. If it weren't for the superdelegates and wah wah wah and it's the stupid neoliberals fault."

Yea, we get it.

That's why Keith Ellison is being tapped and Chuck Schumer just backed him because he wants to survive~ :ocelot::grin:

I understand it's an autopsy, you can explore all the faucets that are wrong, like superdelegates good/bad? but don't bring up the primaries as an example and go "this is why bernie should've won, idiots.", it will go downhill, I promise that. That's why we just kick you in the teeth for it for a little while. Been hearing about it incessantly for a year, seriously. :cripes:

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Venom Snake posted:

This is actually a really good response, because if Clinton had managed to win in spite of his ineptitude, Mook would instead be the country of Italy during WW1

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, this. I'm far more focused on pushing Bernie up right now than complaining about what's already past.

the first battle is being fought,

join us and tell your friends

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3797403&pagenumber=70&perpage=40#post466362186

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Zoran posted:

I don't think we need to spend time discussing rigging or chair-throwing or whatever, but the case that Bernie was a better candidate absolutely does need to be litigated.

Unless Bernie runs in 2020 I don't give a hot gay gently caress of how good/better he is at running a campaign.

I told you so is not loving helpful. All that matters is turning this into something that the party can rubber band back to big gains in 18 and 20 to undo the damage.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Unless Bernie runs in 2020 I don't give a hot gay gently caress of how good/better he is at running a campaign.

I told you so is not loving helpful. All that matters is turning this into something that the party can rubber band back to big gains in 18 and 20 to undo the damage.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

Venom Snake posted:

Italy is the worst at world wars

Well What Now
Nov 10, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Shredded Hen

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, this. I'm far more focused on pushing Bernie up right now than complaining about what's already past.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

It is a pretty thin line which is why I suggest that it's better left off and you move forward. But if you have to bring up something, it better be really loving good (it's not gonna be good and you're gonna eat that 6'er.)

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

TyrantWD posted:

Trump took big donor money wherever he could get it, had a guy from Goldman Sachs leading his fundraising (who is now in line for a cabinet position), and repeatedly said during the campaign that Wall Street is over regulated.

Clinton's goldman sachs speeches was one of the things which sank her though

somehow people just don't really take trump seriously and it's a double-edged sword: because they don't take it seriously when he does something bad either

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Italy is the worst at world wars

I dunno germany's 0/2

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

because polling places have turned out to be super great and trustworthy in general this year

national polls were indeed pretty accurate to 1-2 points, the state polls though were really bad

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them
hey other illinois ppl itt the email for michael "king of chicago" madigan in the google doc is currently hosed we're trying to find a working one

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

trump is petro poroshenko

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
The DNC Chair Election: How you can get involved

I put the info post about the DNC chair in a slightly more shareable form as a quick webpage.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, since that will die under any kind of heavy load, but I figure I'll do what I can to help and it at least lets me get the words out to my facebook friends and poo poo.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

resar posted:

I dunno germany's 0/2

Yeah but they get an A for effort

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Venom Snake posted:

Iv had a lot of hate throne my way by bernie friends angry about how huge of a gently caress up this was but I even though I feel bitter at times I'll never return that hate. To me everyone on the left is an ally and I hope we work together. One of the big problems with discourse on the left is the automatic assumption of malice. God help us all we need to be united now in unfucking things more than ever.

AHAHAHHA this is classic. "Yeah, I may have prevented the only guy who would genuinely try to make America a better place for normal people getting into office, but it's really a bad look on you when you get made at me about it"

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Lastgirl posted:

It is a pretty thin line which is why I suggest that it's better left off and you move forward. But if you have to bring up something, it better be really loving good (it's not gonna be good and you're gonna eat that 6'er.)

sometimes, when I'm feeling really political, I eat 6'ers until I can bear it no longer. My safe word is "superdelegates." :wink:

But yeah, I contacted the Texas Democrats representatives through their dumb email thing. Might try calling them tomorrow as well, or even bust out the SNAIL MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL

Missingnoleader
Mar 10, 2014

Shinjobi posted:

sometimes, when I'm feeling really political, I eat 6'ers until I can bear it no longer. My safe word is "superdelegates." :wink:

But yeah, I contacted the Texas Democrats representatives through their dumb email thing. Might try calling them tomorrow as well, or even bust out the SNAIL MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAIL

Can't forget about the tubes!

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Thoguh posted:

But that still goes to the central premise of third way-ism that she could have just slightly tweaked something to gain a few more votes from a certain demographic. At the end of the day her and the DNC were so completely focused on data and virtue signalling that they completely lost touch with the country. They lost it so badly that our next president is Donald loving Trump. Better data wouldn't have made her a better candidate.

This isn't too far off the mark. It's not that they were too focused on data that they missed the point, they were focused on the wrong kind of data, missing important data entirely and making terrible decisions based on the data they did have.

They took a look at population rates over the past decade, focused on the demos with the most people and tried to craft messages to them half-heartedly. If they were conceited enough they probably didn't even bother asking what the people in the demo's actually wanted and just threw out slogans or campaign issues until enough people said it was liked enough.

Clinton's campaign had warning signs in the primary with the "upset" in Michican. They never bothered to look into it enough to figure out why - because it was just assumed that the states voters would fall in line.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Going out for lunch, but this is a great read about how the media (especially the washington post) went out of their way to gently caress Bernie Sanders:

http://harpers.org/archive/2016/11/swat-team-2/?single=1

We need reform in the media as much as the DNC.

nah thanks
Jun 18, 2004

Take me out.

GlyphGryph posted:

The DNC Chair Election: How you can get involved

I put the info post about the DNC chair in a slightly more shareable form as a quick webpage.

I'm sure there's a better way to do this, since that will die under any kind of heavy load, but I figure I'll do what I can to help and it at least lets me get the words out to my facebook friends and poo poo.

Thank you guys for putting this together. Maybe we can get it in the OP?

nah thanks has issued a correction as of 20:29 on Nov 11, 2016

TyrantWD
Nov 6, 2010
Ignore my doomerism, I don't think better things are possible

mastershakeman posted:

except everyone's plan for the dnc is just to focus on prez and a few senate seats and maybe 10 total states and condemn the rest of the country they'll never take back state houses

And who is going to fund all of those candidates? The Koch network alone will spend more than a billion dollars by 2020 to defend and expand GOP control, and that is just part of the Republican donor base.

two for the shoah
Jan 14, 2016

i really hope this election puts a spotlight on how broken the DNC is, but my hope is dwindling at this point

I'll be contacting my representatives regardless

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

two for the shoah posted:

i really hope this election puts a spotlight on how broken the DNC is, but my hope is dwindling at this point

I'll be contacting my representatives regardless

there is hope. the sander's faction can take control of the dnc but we need to act now.

http://www.glyphgryph.com/index.html

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Mister Fister posted:

Going out for lunch, but this is a great read about how the media (especially the washington post) went out of their way to gently caress Bernie Sanders:

Thankfully Chapo Trap House has made the Washington Post obsolete

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

AHAHAHHA this is classic. "Yeah, I may have prevented the only guy who would genuinely try to make America a better place for normal people getting into office, but it's really a bad look on you when you get made at me about it"

Let's not turn this into an inquisition ffs.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Vox Nihili posted:

Let's not turn this into an inquisition ffs.

said the Clinton supporter.

I mean your candidate's failure is probably going to kill millions and result in a proto-fascist America, but hey, I wouldn't want to be mean because you failed.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

I'm shocked a paper owned by a tech oligarch was against the mild social democrat

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

The Remote Viewer posted:

I guess you could say we're the 'real racists'?

YES!

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

squidgee posted:

Thank you guys for putting this together. Maybe we can get it in the OP?

Not a bad idea but the OP is pretty wordy and its more about examining what went wrong and what's going to happen I feel.

You can definitely make a thread for it though! I think it has enough merit to focus on how to get involved, and what you can do to help etc as a bullet point in that new thread op instead.

bump_fn
Apr 12, 2004

two of them

Radbot posted:

I mean your candidate's failure is probably going to kill millions and result in a proto-fascist America, but hey, I wouldn't want to be mean because you failed.

look we're all upset about this bullshit but instead of whining about the unavoidable why don't you loving do something to try to avoid at least some of it

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Radbot posted:

I voted for Sanders in the primary and PSL in the GE (CA) you incredible moron.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Mister Fister posted:

The media has plenty to answer for even outside of that context. If the ghoulish Lynch reporters poo poo continues maybe even the lovely producers will realize there's things more important than ratings.
Honestly 24 hour networks should just die. It's unsustainable and the result is an insult to journalism.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Zikan posted:

there is hope. the sander's faction can take control of the dnc but we need to act now.

http://www.glyphgryph.com/index.html

Yeah, Georgia's vice chair once wrote an internal memo to the state party that the only way to get a Democrat into the governor's seat in Georgia was to nominate a white man. :negative:

I thought she wasn't involved with the chair process anymore.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Grain of salt and all, but fresh horrors are beginning to manifest:

https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/797148468301139968
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/797148908484960256
https://twitter.com/kerpen/status/797150670092701696
https://twitter.com/ForecasterEnten/status/797158518575005696

Do you know anything about the internals, Venomsnake, or was that above your metaphorical pay-grade?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!
https://twitter.com/jonathanweisman/status/797120114042793984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

https://twitter.com/chrislhayes/status/797122109822664705

https://twitter.com/jonfavs/status/797124291808460801

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

So here's three people that we could tap for helping the party go forward:
Chair: Ellison
Chief of Strategy: Howard Dean. Not allowed to dictate policy, but the guy knows what to do to win (see 2006 and 2008)
Chair of Rural Outreach: Ron Kind (WI-03). He's one of the last rural democrats, representing the driftless area in Wisconsin. If anyone would know how to get to them and what they want, it'd likely be him.

Yeah you could argue Dean lucky with high GOP resentment, but whatever he did worked well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Regarding the media: about ten years ago I started to feel like the Daily Show/various liberal satire shows were doing more harm than good.

A lot of things that people should be angry about got cast for laughs - clips of politicians contradicting themselves should be pissing people off, but then the immediate cut away to Stewart mugging for the camera undercut that emotion immediately.

Without touching on how those shows have treated a lot of the country, that single phenomenon has done a lot of harm, and there are entire content farms filling people's social media feeds with this stuff now. As much as we talk about (and I have personally relished in laughing about) the RWM echo chamber, the liberal media has in many ways been worse - it's made people think a laugh and a share is doing something.

• Locked thread