Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Psion posted:

I checked the update history on Safehouse Nightmare and it seems to have been a 7-day window every year it's come out. I'm sort of guessing this based on the wiki's update log, which is incomplete, but it seems to be consistent.

It was two weeks at least once in the past, I think. In any case, they've listed the end date on previous websites and posted warnings; given the age of the game I assumed that it was going to stick around- or that we'd be told if it wouldn't.

swims posted:

What is hashlist and why does it matter that it's removed? I know absolutely gently caress all about computers.

I don't know much more than you, but the hashlist is a sort of addresses for the encoded data bundles used the game, listing where files are compressed so that the game can access them. Modders had been using it to locate things and modify them, and to more quickly identify files in new updates to the game. It was removed awhile ago for reasons I don't fully understand, but I think were related to giving people an official one. People who dive the files to locate things or run mods are very angry about this because it makes their work harder, though the biggest one of all, Frankelstner, seems to have reverse engineered a huge part of the hashlist anyways.

Max Wilco posted:

Wait, are you serious?

Actually, that prompts a question I've been meaning to ask. How do they work around the voice recording for new heisters & content? It occurred to me that they'd have to bring everyone back in to record '<name>, follow me!' anytime they added a new heister. I imagine it'd be expensive to bring back Ron Perlman just to have him record a couple of new lines, so I was curious as to how they approach adding a new character.

Yep. This appears to be a change, since I think past hitbox lookups suggested the head hitbox was reduced to a tiny spot near the tongue. I haven't tried to check with damage lookups ingame or anything. They seem to rent their studio space, so they try to record everything they can in a large batch, planning for future development and covering anything they missed in the past several months.

Crabtree posted:

Look, I know Pacino will do whatever he wants these days, but could he really pull off Scarface? Unless they pull the same soundalike they got for the Scarface game but, ugh, that one was awful.

This is all based off of a leak, so it may well be that they don't have the IP and this will actually be Timmy North Dakota

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is Chains still the best heister? I feel like until drills are no longer broke-dick pieces of poo poo, he should be.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

The nest heisters are still (in order)

John Wick
Jacket
Jiro
Jdallas

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Hot drat. Found a group of pubs and we took down Santa, Hotline, Big Oil, Cook Off and fuckin Lab Rats on 1D. I think Biker Heist (nailed it!) Goat Sim and Meltdown and Aftershock are the only real motherfuckers left on my list.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Nov 11, 2016

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hot drat. Found a group of pubs and we took down Santa, Hotline, Big Oil and fuckin Lab Rats on 1D. I think Biker Heist and Meltdown and Aftershock are the only real motherfuckers left on my list.

Lab Rats may actually be easier on OD; I'm not positive, but it looks like headless dozers are using DW weapon stats.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
My heister tier least pls do not steal

Chains
Chains
Bonnie
Chains
Jiro
Everyone else
Houston

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice
Wolf
Jimmy
Sokol
Dragan
Rust
Hox
Else

Wastrel_
Jun 3, 2004

Read it and weep.

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Hot drat. Found a group of pubs and we took down Santa, Hotline, Big Oil and fuckin Lab Rats on 1D. I think Biker Heist (nailed it!) Goat Sim and Meltdown and Aftershock are the only real motherfuckers left on my list.

Meltdown only took us 4 tries, and in one of those we were hosed over by desync. Transport: Downtown and Transport: Park were both much harder, taking us ~10 tries or so each!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Running a Crook build with Thanatos and China Puff. Turns out if you don't give a poo poo about silenced weapons or improving a weapon type or going for Sneaky Bastard you can dump points into SO much good poo poo.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Max Wilco posted:

Actually, that prompts a question I've been meaning to ask. How do they work around the voice recording for new heisters & content? It occurred to me that they'd have to bring everyone back in to record '<name>, follow me!' anytime they added a new heister. I imagine it'd be expensive to bring back Ron Perlman just to have him record a couple of new lines, so I was curious as to how they approach adding a new character.

In the past they've pre-recorded a bunch of lines for possible new heisters, though I'm not sure if any of them actually came to pass. I recall lines for a "Rex" for instance. Most of the time they just fall back on whatever they've got. Pointedly there's always a generic "Hey you, follow me." line, and anywhere else they try and recycle what they already have. Hence the sloppy Wolf medic line, and how both he and Rust use pager responses in the safehouse. They also have the advantage of using Simon Viklund (or whatever other contact they bring in) to do most of the heavy lifting for heist-related dialogue and leave the rest to generic quips.

Also I'm not really following the Headless Dozer hitbox thing, please elaborate.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
My heister list

-Jacket
-Jiro
-Jimmy
-John Wick
-The fusion of Jacket and Dallas, "Jallas"

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I've been playing as Bodhi a lot recently, he's great.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Grapplejack posted:

I've been playing as Bodhi a lot recently, he's great.
Bodhi is a hoot but I do need to diversify my heister playing. I just love the "loving Ninja Cop" and "He needs a medic!" (when you kill a medic).

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
My list is chains -> bodhi mostly because the goons I play with most hate bodhi so if they're going to steal chains from me they can loving deal with bodhi as a punishment

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
I am a try hard so
Houston
Sokol
Bodhi
Chains

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

John Murdoch posted:

Also I'm not really following the Headless Dozer hitbox thing, please elaborate.

Headless dozers appear to still have a completely normal head hitbox that you can hit the same as other enemies. This was not the case in the past, though it's not clear when it changed. If my older sources are still right, they also have a much greater headshot multiplier.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 11, 2016

Concordat
Mar 4, 2007

Secondary Objective: Commit Fraud - Complete
Bodhi has the worst voice in the game.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Concordat posted:

I thought that title is still held by Wick's permanent constipated irritation? Nice character, but would have been better as full Keanu.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Concordat posted:

That's what you get for hiding behind a post.

Bitch.

spit on my clit
Jul 19, 2015

by Cyrano4747
One

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!
Clover is best, Chains tied second best with Wick and they are all pals, possibly BFFs

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Discendo Vox posted:

Headless dozers appear to still have a completely normal head hitbox that you can hit the same as other enemies. This was not the case in the past, though it's not clear when it changed. If my older sources are still right, they also have a much greater headshot multiplier.

Okay, that's what I thought, it's just so ridiculous that I wasn't entirely sure. :psyduck:

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Dr Cheeto posted:

My heister tier least pls do not steal

Chains
Chains
Bonnie
Chains
Jiro
Everyone else
Houston

The list isn't just a 10,000 word document that just says Sydney so I'm calling bullshit on your list.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I don't care for Sydney's delivery on her medic kill lines, they're really grating.

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

Grapplejack posted:

I don't care for Sydney's delivery on her medic kill lines, they're really grating.

On the other hand, she has bitchin' gloves. Clover's still my favorite.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

sydney

is

an

anime

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp

Coolguye posted:

sydney

is

an

anime

What the gently caress does this meeeeeeean

senpai

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Coolguye posted:

sydney

is

an

anime
Now I have to use her if only to be annoying, then. Totally going to wear the kawaii mask.

Wick has the worst most annoying shrill voice, and the dumbest lines.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Grapplejack posted:

Everything she says is a knife in my loving ears.

Unrelated, only 12 1ds to go.

Nehru the Damaja fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 12, 2016

oohhboy
Jun 8, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Bodhi is a poser which automatically makes him the worse.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Concordat posted:

:same:

oohhboy posted:

Bodhi is a poser which automatically makes him the worse.

:same:

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
Tangentially related, but is there any gameplay reason to bother with upgrading the safehouse, or is it purely cosmetic? The skinner-box enthusiast in me wants to dump all my coins into it, but I have a gut feeling they're better spent on weapon mods.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
If you upgrade Houston you get extra van paint or something, probably the only in-game effect there is. Until recently, gage coins/goonmod took care of everyone's weapon mod needs, and I think it still works if you disable one line ClonedPickle posted about recently. I'd still use your continental coins to upgrade your safehouse because why not have a maxed out safehouse.

still if you desperately need another competitor's compensator, go for it. It's not like coins are hard to come by.

Psion fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Nov 12, 2016

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

At present fully upgrading the common rooms will spawn a free doctor bag in there during a safe house raid

That's the extent of the mechanical benefits for warehouse upgrades.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Adding more/bigger cover by way of furniture matters a little bit, too. But mostly it's just for e-peen. Some people care about that (like me) and some don't.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
also: holy poo poo why did I never play Jimmy before

"gently caress YOU TASER" makes me laugh my rear end off every time

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

also: holy poo poo why did I never play Jimmy before

"gently caress YOU TASER" makes me laugh my rear end off every time
That sure sounds like a Bodhi line to me.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe
The difference is in the delivery. Jimmy is a coke demon, Bodhi is a smarmy douche.

Also cloakerninjacuntfucker is a much better line for spotting a cloaker than loving ninja cop.

JohnnyOso
Oct 9, 2007

a more refined age
If we're still passing out Mega Clover codes I'm interested.

on an unrelated note, Idid we ever figure out if we are getting Tony Montana as heister, or just an NPC of some sort?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

swims
May 5, 2014

Waiter, this band keeps shooting pearls at me.
The first person arms model suggests it's a playable character.

Maybe, just maybe there will be a chainsaw in this game now :tinfoil: . The asset is already there from Forest so...

swims fucked around with this message at 19:23 on Nov 12, 2016