Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

I'm reminded of the city councilor who intones " we don't need a monument to government" there is a lot to unpack there but you don't convince him away from a libertarian bias by standing up and yelling at him that he's a problem and he needs to get right with (progressive) God

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Tiberius Christ posted:

It won Trump the election doesn't sound meaningless

Low turnout and the electoral college won Trump the election

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
can i get a spox reax on the hot take from this rust belt populist wonk? ive got a thinkpiece due in two hours

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

RaySmuckles posted:

this point is well taken, but things are a lot different than they were 30 years ago. i'm not sure those comparisons hold up due to modern circumstances. we'll find out though!

I honestly think Charisma is far more important than Policy on a national ticket.

If I was playing Party Manager 2020 I would be grabbing every candidate who even half agreed with the parties platform and had good Charisma.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

RuanGacho posted:

This isn't how humanity works.

What about everyone who did vote for him.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

:vapes:
Grimey Drawer

XyrlocShammypants posted:

That the "I told you so clown car" on this forum has a complete and utter lack of perspective.

but so is the "gently caress everyone that didn't support us, we're not changing a loving thing" wing.

we all want to push the party forward. some people say its by expanding the voter base and readjusting our priorities to be more inclusive. others think its to throw a big enough poo poo-fit that people will be shamed into supporting a party and platform that just lost

Tiberius Christ
Mar 4, 2009

pocket pool posted:

LOL because conservatives never do this.

So we should be like the conservatives? Is that what your argument is because this country is torn the gently caress up, acting smug and superior isn't helping anyone.

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Xae posted:

I honestly think Charisma is far more important than Policy on a national ticket.

If I was playing Party Manager 2020 I would be grabbing every candidate who even half agreed with the parties platform and had good Charisma.

sure, but a lot of charisma comes from how one supports a ticket.

obama had shitloads of charisma but also a revolutionary platform

he lost votes when he failed to deliver that platform

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

RaySmuckles posted:

but so is the "gently caress everyone that didn't support us, we're not changing a loving thing" wing.

we all want to push the party forward. some people say its by expanding the voter base and readjusting our priorities to be more inclusive. others think its to throw a big enough poo poo-fit that people will be shamed into supporting a party and platform that just lost

You know that unity doesn't sound appealing in the ivory tower when you have watched that adjusting the policies is for a group who turned to fascism as their out. Keep plucking the above it all string but the song getting played is terrible.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

DACK FAYDEN posted:

Honestly, Booker could be a fairly important piece of a new coalition as long as he doesn't have any coattails. He's charismatic, he gets the cred for not being white, and he has a number of good opintions and a lot of cred with rich people.

Just make sure he wipes his feet so he doesn't bring any more charter-school-supporting scum in with him.

Booker is exactly the same as Hillary and Obama. He is going to offer the same neoliberal & friendly with the 1% policies.

Booker is exactly the kind of person who needs to stay away from party leadership

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

botany posted:

Wow 200 Euros a month communism is finally here comrade

A joyful tear rolls down the face of Lenin's corpse. He has won.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

If you did not vote, accept responsibility for helping Trump get into office.

GladRagKraken
Mar 27, 2010

Either Brecht or the DNC I forget which posted:

After the uprising of the 17th June
The Secretary of the Writers Union
Had leaflets distributed in the Stalinallee
Stating that the people
Had forfeited the confidence of the government
And could win it back only
By redoubled efforts. Would it not be easier
In that case for the government
To dissolve the people
And elect another?

Tiberius Thyben
Feb 7, 2013

Gone Phishing

chumbler posted:

I'm Canadian. Am I still at fault for not voting, or?

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

chumbler posted:

No you see I am going to sit on the sidelines proclaiming every Democrat a neoliberal hyperglobalist corporatist nepotismo for the next 8 years, thus handing even more power to the Republicans and causing a generational victory on every major social and economic issue to my rivals.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aaaahaahahahahah bush torture program in CIA directorship

I'm gonna drain the swamp #maga

pocket pool
Aug 4, 2003

B U T T S

Bleak Gremlin

Tiberius Christ posted:

So we should be like the conservatives? Is that what your argument is because this country is torn the gently caress up, acting smug and superior isn't helping anyone.

Depends on what you mean by "be like conservatives".

As far as actually fighting for your platform rather than falling all over yourself to compromise until you're so lukewarm that people can't tell the difference between you and the alternative? Yeah, I guess I would like to see that.

To your point, I wouldn't worry too much about many liberals acting smug and superior in the immediate future after the election botch job we just saw.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Potato Salad posted:

Aaaahaahahahahah bush torture program in CIA directorship

I'm gonna drain the swamp #maga

well you cant start building the black site until you get that dang swamp out of the way, right?

RaySmuckles
Oct 14, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Lid posted:

You know that unity doesn't sound appealing in the ivory tower when you have watched that adjusting the policies is for a group who turned to fascism as their out. Keep plucking the above it all string but the song getting played is terrible.

the only song that sounds terrible to me is "hail to the chief" with donald trump strutting into the whitehouse. thanks democrats and democratic establishment for clearing the path for the most vulnerable presidential candidate in modern history to blow an historically important election.

what lost this election was both sides alienating voters. it just turns out the democrats alienated something like 4-5x more voters.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

Tiberius Thyben posted:

I'm Canadian. Am I still at fault for not voting, or?

You aren't at fault for anything, but because you are Canadian, I expect you to apologize nonetheless. :colbert:

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

XyrlocShammypants posted:

No you see I am going to sit on the sidelines proclaiming every Democrat a neoliberal hyperglobalist corporatist nepotismo for the next 8 years, thus handing even more power to the Republicans and causing a generational victory on every major social and economic issue to my rivals.

And they wonder why Corbyn wants brexit.

SoggyBobcat
Oct 2, 2013

Schumer endorsing Ellison is a good sign. Maybe there's hope for him yet.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

RaySmuckles posted:

the only song that sounds terrible to me is "hail to the chief" with donald trump strutting into the whitehouse. thanks democrats and democratic establishment for clearing the path for the most vulnerable presidential candidate in modern history to blow an historically important election.

what lost this election was both sides alienating voters. it just turns out the democrats alienated something like 4-5x more voters.

Why are you not blaming the Republicans letting a racist populist get up? And do not play the card that they all are, do not pretend Mitt Romney neoliberalism is just as bad as this. Like there seems to a burning desire from the far left to look at how they didn't stop him rather than look at who held him up and who got him there openly and enthusiastically. Thats the divide right now.

The Ol Spicy Keychain
Jan 17, 2013

I MEPHISTO MY OWN ASSHOLE

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-aides-loss-blame-231215

Surprise surprise! The DNC/Clinton establishment was completely out of touch. These are the same people who spook the black community into voting for them every time because the other guys are worse, and then after they get elected they go right back to ignoring us.

Crowsbeak
Oct 9, 2012

by Azathoth
Lipstick Apathy

The Shortest Path posted:

Yes? The core strategy of white supremacy has always been pitting minorities against each other. There are many black people who hate immigrants and vice-versa and also Muslims. Like, read the loving thread dude this has been addressed a dozen times.

Every single person who could have voted against Trump and declined to do so is okay with racism. That is an absolute, undeniable fact.

Well give them a reason to vote. You know,. like a better life.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Scent of Worf posted:

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-aides-loss-blame-231215

Surprise surprise! The DNC/Clinton establishment was completely out of touch. These are the same people who spook the black community into voting for them every time because the other guys are worse, and then after they get elected they go right back to ignoring us.

that last line outta nowhere tho lol

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

RaySmuckles posted:

Point well taken, and I know some of this is simply anger and frustration grounding itself on this dumbshit thread, but I've seen some people posting things like "gently caress you if you voted for Clinton [unclear on whether in general or primary], you're the problem, get out." And this is all well and good except those people are important too. Remember that her base always lay partially in minority voters and black machine politics in the South; these people are going to be important to the Democratic Party. Purge all the n-words in leadership you want, I certainly think there have been some catastrophic failures in policy, but one of the reason I think Ellison would be pretty good is that he is black and a Muslim. He's not likely to yield to the temptation to slash and burn an important part of any future Democratic coalition: Hillary voters. Growing the base means keeping your old base too-- sever some poisonous apples if you need to, I think starting with people like our glorious new Senate majority leader would be a good start, but there's still the basics of a workable coalition here moving forward I think.

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,

Crowsbeak posted:

Well give them a reason to vote. You know,. like a better life.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_is_the_enemy_of_good

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

http://www.abc15.com/news/state/sheriff-joe-arpaio-touted-as-possible-homeland-security-secretary-candidate

Sheriff Joe Arpaio being considered for Sec of Homeland Security.

BetterToRuleInHell
Jul 2, 2007

Touch my mask top
Get the chop chop
What are the chances the DNC gets one of the Castro brothers to step up for 2020?

Leon Trotsky 2012
Aug 27, 2009

YOU CAN TRUST ME!*

*Israeli Government-affiliated poster

1stGear posted:

Eh, my original post wasn't quite correct, but suffice it to say, Ellison is a populist. He was a Sanders supporter, has been active in civil rights, and has worked to aid the working poor as much as he can.

Sherrod Brown

May 11, 2007

Contains Carbon Monoxide
https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/797076800727875584

can't hear you guys over the sound of goose-stepping outside.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

BetterToRuleInHell posted:

What are the chances the DNC gets one of the Castro brothers to step up for 2020?

Pretty unlikely I think; the problems that really kept them from consideration so far still damage them. They'd need some more national-level exposure and experience to really be able to take a stab at it, and unfortunately, we're not going to have the Democratic administration that would be able to give them that.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

RaySmuckles posted:

sure, but a lot of charisma comes from how one supports a ticket.

obama had shitloads of charisma but also a revolutionary platform

he lost votes when he failed to deliver that platform

If we didn't have term limits, Obama would have won a third time. See his approval rating.

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost

703 posted:

https://twitter.com/liamstack/status/797076800727875584

can't hear you guys over the sound of goose-stepping outside.

At least he's going to be bipartisan about it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YduGqO-pUMo&t=28s

“The little, whiny, sniveling negative cowards who were ‘Never Trumpers’ are beneath our paying attention to them. Let them drift off into the ashbin of history while we go ahead and work with Donald Trump and with the House and Senate Republicans to create a dramatically new future.”"

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Quorum posted:

Pretty unlikely I think; the problems that really kept them from consideration so far still damage them. They'd need some more national-level exposure and experience to really be able to take a stab at it, and unfortunately, we're not going to have the Democratic administration that would be able to give them that.

Experience clearly doesn't matter in Presidential elections anymore.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Spacebump posted:

Experience clearly doesn't matter in Presidential elections anymore.

I don't think that's necessarily true. I think that it doesn't matter to a lot of people, but the bases are different; I'm not convinced the Democratic base is as willing as the Republican one to say gently caress it all and elect, say, a schlubby carpenter from a backwater part of the country who promises social justice and an overturning of the old order.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

is the person I would pick now for 2020 Presidential Candidate. And it's not close.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
The position candidates bandied about so far are the most :stare: possible.

Like, the Bush administration surrounded itself with a lot of neo-cons and such, but the list of sycophants here is staggering.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I'm basically waiting for the first overt "shut up about human rights omg" post.

Or "shut up about climate change omg" post. It depends on what is destroyed first.

• Locked thread