Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What was your favorite Titan from Titanfall 1?
gundam
megatron
that russian robot from pacific rim
goku
View Results

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Elysiume posted:

9am/12pm on a workday isn't exactly primetime for NA.

It's 5pm on a Friday in the UK, 6pm in Western Europe.

I don't know why people are expecting the servers to be crowded at that time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
So it seems like the smgs are the best choice, right? Assault rifles are ok too. Lmgs seem to have too much spread while running to be that useful. The smgs so far are super accurate at a dead sprint and also weirdly accurate at a distance tho?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

PantsBandit posted:

So it seems like the smgs are the best choice, right? Assault rifles are ok too. Lmgs seem to have too much spread while running to be that useful. The smgs so far are super accurate at a dead sprint and also weirdly accurate at a distance tho?

Whatever gun you like most is best :shobon:

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Shooting a giant laser beam out of your chest has got to be the coolest thing loving ever.

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

PantsBandit posted:

It seems like the the R-201 and all of the SMGs are meant to be super versatile and punish you for very little. They have almost no spread on full auto, whether you're moving, sprinting, break dancing, or double-dutch jumproping and that's hip-fire or ADS (I could be wrong about the R 201 but its hip fire is pretty drat ok if it's not technically as accurate as the ADS). I tap-fire the alternator at mid to long range and get kills, it takes a lot of hits but it works. I occasionally ADS the R 201 but I never ADS the other SMGs, especially the alternator.

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

The Iron Rose posted:

ahhhh i just beat FrothyOmen in Coliseum!

This is from way back but I just wanted to say I suddenly saw this come by in one of his saved streams on youtube. He said you were one of the first who put up a really good fight in the coliseum. Good poo poo man. :cheers:

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Mindblast posted:

This is from way back but I just wanted to say I suddenly saw this come by in one of his saved streams on youtube. He said you were one of the first who put up a really good fight in the coliseum. Good poo poo man. :cheers:

wait wait wait how far along I wanna know.

Also I'm a lady but super cool.

AirRaid
Dec 21, 2004

Nose Manual + Super Sonic Spin Attack
I recorded some Gooses.

https://gfycat.com/RelievedDeadHorsefly

gently caress those guys in particular.

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

Daztek posted:

Whatever gun you like most is best :shobon:

I've been enjoying the Mastiff shotgun, so satisfying, and with the spread somewhat forgiving if you cant aim perfectly.

A question for those in the know: what should Scorch's shield stop specifically? It feels like it doesnt stop poo poo like the titan with the minigun shooting me, but I used credits for the shield duration mod and have used it to great effect burning titans I can get close enough to, but as a shield sometimes it feels iffy that it's stopping what it should.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
The hip fire on the Alternator is something special, it almost feels like you lose accuracy when you ADS.

Hackan Slash
May 31, 2007
Hit it until it's not a problem anymore

PlushCow posted:

I've been enjoying the Mastiff shotgun, so satisfying, and with the spread somewhat forgiving if you cant aim perfectly.

A question for those in the know: what should Scorch's shield stop specifically? It feels like it doesnt stop poo poo like the titan with the minigun shooting me, but I used credits for the shield duration mod and have used it to great effect burning titans I can get close enough to, but as a shield sometimes it feels iffy that it's stopping what it should.

Shield stops every normal attack (not sure about cores) but they can shoot around it.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

PlushCow posted:

It's supposed to melt all incoming projectiles, but I've not seen any testing as to what ignores that. I know Ion's vortex shield can't just catch a whole salvo core for some reason.

If you're taking damage from a Legion's normal bullets with your heat shield up the two most likely explanations are 1) he's hitting some exposed bit of your feet or shoulder or 2) you're stepping in your own thermite on accident.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Mindblast posted:

The thing that gets me with the slide jumping is how the gifted players are constantly in slide mode in such a way that their gun stays angled perfectly without even a small hitch.

When I try it, it's clear that I just can't consistently hit crouch right after the jump.
It takes a lot of practice to pull off reliably. I've started practicing on my own by setting up a private game with only me in it and just trying to traverse the map as fast as possible and it is helping.

BeanpolePeckerwood
May 4, 2004

I MAY LOOK LIKE SHIT BUT IM ALSO DUMB AS FUCK

Wazzit posted:

The hip fire on the Alternator is something special, it almost feels like you lose accuracy when you ADS.

WMD. WMD rightchere rightchere!

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

There's really no straight up OP gun which is another reason I like this game

Seems no one bothers with snipers/LMGs

The first AR and SMG are really good. The volt smg is ok but has a weird feel. Everyone raves about the g2 AR

but really yeah it's whatever one you like. I'm having fun with the softball grenade launcher

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

runchild posted:

It's supposed to melt all incoming projectiles, but I've not seen any testing as to what ignores that. I know Ion's vortex shield can't just catch a whole salvo core for some reason.

If you're taking damage from a Legion's normal bullets with your heat shield up the two most likely explanations are 1) he's hitting some exposed bit of your feet or shoulder or 2) you're stepping in your own thermite on accident.
There is probably more to #2 than I'd like to admit :negative: but im getting better at it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

runchild posted:

Tone is the only titan with a shield that covers the whole titan, everyone else has parts of their titan that are exposed from behind the shield (legion even has a crit spot that sticks out)

Also Ion's vortex shield loses a little bit of extra charge every time it stops a projectile which is why tone's salvo core can just shoot straight through it. Or he can just arc the missiles around it.

Eldragon
Feb 22, 2003

Nostalgia4Dicks posted:

Seems no one bothers with snipers/LMGs

I can see why few bothers with snipers, pilots are fast and the ranges are short. You'll pick off a ton of bots but only the worst sort of pilots with the sniper rifle.

But the LMG, I tried it a few times and I just don't see what niche it fills that isn't already covered by the AR or SMG? Am I just using it wrong or is the Tier 0 AR just do the same job but better?

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Volt + phase shift + electric smoke grenades = oodles of fun for everyone except the people I'm slaughtering with this combo.

IronDoge
Nov 6, 2008

Eldragon posted:

I can see why few bothers with snipers, pilots are fast and the ranges are short. You'll pick off a ton of bots but only the worst sort of pilots with the sniper rifle.

But the LMG, I tried it a few times and I just don't see what niche it fills that isn't already covered by the AR or SMG? Am I just using it wrong or is the Tier 0 AR just do the same job but better?

I have an A-Wall + DMR class for maps I know that start out with long sightlines. It usually nabs me a couple kills before the enemy team catches on and I switch to something else. It's a cheap trick, but hey people keep falling for it.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Devotion is an extremely good LMG that's hard to use but absolutely dominates at medium and long range engagements that you initiate and can kill the entire enemy team if you get the drop on them.

I've said it before: It's a great sniper rifle for people who aren't very good with sniper rifles.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Astroniomix posted:

legion even has a crit spot that sticks out

This is why the counter to Legion is just an Ion with Turbo. Vortex a bunch of their bullets then dash around the gun shield and hit them in the crit spot with all the bullets.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Devotion is an extremely good LMG that's hard to use but absolutely dominates at medium and long range engagements that you initiate and can kill the entire enemy team if you get the drop on them.

I've said it before: It's a great sniper rifle for people who aren't very good with sniper rifles.

Phase Shift lets you dominate at close range too :smug:

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"

Polish Avenger posted:

Ok I don't have this down pat yet but I occasionally don't gently caress up the inputs and steer my slides a little.

In order to steer, as I understand it you have to strafe in the direction you want to turn, you also have to move your mouse in that direction (however as you said, since your view is independent of your slide direction, how much you move it that way doesn't matter, any measurable movement of your view in the direction you want to steer will do).

The other lynchpin that wasn't as clear to me was that steering only happens while you are sliding, not during the bunny hop, or while you are in the air, so you don't need to be holding your strafe or turning the whole time, although that might be easier than training yourself to start and stop. You can also slide a little longer to get more turn. Wrong, it looks like your inputs during the slide start the turn, but you do still turn in air if you were turning in your slide. That would mean you can't change the direction of your steering until you land and Frothy's video seems to back that up.

It's up https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S6LzcmWLOo I've heard on FrothyOmen's stream that he will be making another video about it with an input monitor overlay and I have a feeling that's going to clear up any confusion on how it works.

And even when you understand it, I still don't do it when I'm trying to most of the time. One should probably practice in a private lobby for a few minutes everyday until you get it down. The first part is making the straight line sliding automatic, jump crouch, jump crouch, jump crouch. Then you add the steering inputs which will inevitably make you gently caress up the slide-hopping.

Edits: corrections

Thank you very much, this is very helpful, it seems my main problem was/is DON'T HOLD FORWARD.
Time to practice.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'm giving the Holo Pilot a fair shake and I agree: it's hilarious when someone falls for it. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBYSHOyX5o

Gunder
May 22, 2003

Is the Dice Roll boost weighted evenly? I seem to get an awful lot of Anti-Titan Sentries from it.

Astroniomix
Apr 24, 2015

Lemon-Lime posted:

This is why the counter to Legion is just an Ion with Turbo. Vortex a bunch of their bullets then dash around the gun shield and hit them in the crit spot with all the bullets.

This is basically the old "genji vs bastion" thing in overwatch. Where that only works if the legion keeps firing into your shield.

Also you don't need to dash around him you can hit his crit spot with your laser shot while he's looking right at you even with his shield up.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

radintorov posted:

I'm giving the Holo Pilot a fair shake and I agree: it's hilarious when someone falls for it. :v:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewBYSHOyX5o

It's honestly pretty fun to fall for it, too.

"Ha ha, gotc...oh shi-" *dead* "You magnificent son of a bitch"

Since it's such a situational boost I can't hate on the users.

Pikey
Dec 25, 2004
Balance patch can't come soon enough. Whoever recently said that the laser shot on ion is a gooser gun; that's what it feels like playing against a team with 2-3 Tones out. If they're a half way decent shot they can just gib you in 1 shot non-stop. I really wish they would tone down (lol) the splash range, damage, or both on her. With pretty much every titan you can alter your play as a titan to take them down but she can just stop you no matter what your range or loadout because of the huge splash 1 shot

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

It's honestly pretty fun to fall for it, too.

"Ha ha, gotc...oh shi-" *dead* "You magnificent son of a bitch"

Since it's such a situational boost I can't hate on the users.

"Clever girl..."

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I am sad now. I took the robot's arc tool :smith:.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

blackguy32 posted:

I am sad now. I took the robot's arc tool :smith:.
Look at the bright side: at least you didn't punch/shoot it like some monsters in this thread did. :unsmith:

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
Can't get any codes on doritos and dew here in Australia, anyone want to be kind enough and PM me a code?

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Have some gifs:

between the EPG and the EVA-8 with stims, I'm having a blast.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I actually find I really enjoy grappling hook with the EPG. You can latch to walls high up and use it almost like a Pharah rocket jump.

BabelFish fucked around with this message at 02:22 on Nov 12, 2016

el B
Jan 30, 2004
holler.
I've started using Ronin and have been going balls out. He's a lot of fun when you're completely reckless. I don't know if I could play him without Nuke eject.

Really digging the Flatline lately as well. I'm about to Regen again - think I'll unlock this right away and keep leveling it.

CrystalDave
Oct 12, 2012
How's everybody recording/trimming these gifs? They look really sleek, is it a console-based setup?

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

1- The Thai Curry(tm) sauce at Buffalo Wild Wings kicks rear end

2- The server gave me some extra codes for the ION skin so Im'ma post them:

edit- claimed.

chibi luda fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Nov 12, 2016

teh_Broseph
Oct 21, 2010

THE LAST METROID IS IN
CATTIVITY. THE GALAXY
IS AT PEACE...
Lipstick Apathy

Earth Table posted:

FCT7-9365-3D2E-8M86

DP3V-6W5X-EMKZ-F848

7ME4-Y2WJ-MFTV-GC8F

Reset my EA pass again so I could got my code on; thank ya much! Whoops, thought it was part of the random thing so I put two in :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senethro
May 18, 2005

I unironically think I'm Garret, Master Thief.

Earth Table posted:

FCT7-9365-3D2E-8M86

DP3V-6W5X-EMKZ-F848

7ME4-Y2WJ-MFTV-GC8F

Took the third code here, now I shall always rep Ion against the unwashed Tone hordes.