Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

no bones about it posted:

Nordic dude you might want to reconsider before raising your right hand and swearing an oath to the Great Pumpkin. escape now while you still can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Tough call. Kinda need the insurance for now.
Thankfully I could always get fat if poo poo gets really weird.

bengy81
May 8, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

Tough call. Kinda need the insurance for now.
Thankfully I could always get fat if poo poo gets really weird.

I can't wait for your posts about getting activated to guard the Mexican border.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Arent you retired in Japan? If you are id start working on that japanese citizenship

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Arent you retired in Japan? If you are id start working on that japanese citizenship

IIRC she's back in the US with her family. Goofing aside, Japanese citizenship is monstrously difficult to get compared to anywhere else.

e: and if you don't like Trump, you should see some of the politicians they elect there.

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Nov 9, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

hogmartin posted:

IIRC she's back in the US with her family. Goofing aside, Japanese citizenship is monstrously difficult to get compared to anywhere else.

e: and if you don't like Trump, you should see some of the politicians they elect there.

I saw one poster by a local politician when I was in japan basically claiming he was going to win by divine mandate and his opponent was a demon.

They do have their own crop of nutjobs though yeah.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

I saw one poster by a local politician when I was in japan basically claiming he was going to win by divine mandate and his opponent was a demon.

They do have their own crop of nutjobs though yeah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=df7jOd6HcIY

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
I deploy shortly after the inauguration. I was about 99% sure of where I was going and what I was going to do yesterday, today I'm about 30% sure.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

With my luck I'll be deployed to our Hawaiian border with China.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Me and N4D about to get reactivated wooooooooooooooo-eeeeeeeeeeeeee git sum

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Hey, could you do up something quick for our Norwegian brother Nuclear War on corpsmen? He was a prior medic and wants to join, so it seems like a good way to do actual job-related stick pointy poo poo in people work instead of chipping paint, but I don't know enough about the community to give any worthwhile advice.

poopkitty
Oct 16, 2013

WE ARE ALL ONE

Yeah, retired in the US. In a big, fat, red state (although my city was a small blue dot in the middle last night.) The misogyny in Japan is worse - frankly I prefer here. I miss onigiri and ramen and that's about it.

I'm working on making my hunting camp a 4-season off grid bunker. Seems like a better plan.

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

We literally had that here in this election.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003
So I'm pretty sure I was the only one here who was Trump over Hillary, but look on the bright side: if there was ever a possibility of getting rates back it was probably down this path.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

You'll be too busy training up our cheaper Chinese contractors to appreciate the rates coming back.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Godholio posted:

We literally had that here in this election.

I realized that after I posted it.

Sir Lucius
Aug 3, 2003

LingcodKilla posted:

You'll be too busy training up our cheaper Chinese contractors to appreciate the rates coming back.

Nah, im out in 6 months. I had it, you've got it.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

Sir Lucius posted:

Nah, im out in 6 months. I had it, you've got it.

Me too. Six months to go. ::feelsgoodman::

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah
BU3 maffew buildings wherever you are be safe when NMCB 69 and ACB 420 are mobilized to deploy with NMCB 666 to help build The Huge Wall

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

DownByTheWooter posted:

BU3 maffew buildings wherever you are be safe when NMCB 69 and ACB 420 are mobilized to deploy with NMCB 666 to help build The Huge Wall

ahem BUs don't exist anymore he's petty officer buildings

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Mr. Nice! posted:

ahem BUs don't exist anymore he's petty officer buildings

new navy, man

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
PETTY OFFICER THIRD CLASS H-100 BUILDINGS REPORTING FOR WALL BUILDING DUTY TO MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN!

maffew buildings
Apr 29, 2009

too dumb to be probated; not too dumb to be autobanned
real talk the quality of our construction might even be too low for a Trump endeavor

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

maffew buildings posted:

real talk the quality of our construction might even be too low for a Trump endeavor

Don't worry it doesn't need to be built to last.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

maffew buildings posted:

Leave holes big enough for Mexican booties please.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

hogmartin posted:

Hey, could you do up something quick for our Norwegian brother Nuclear War on corpsmen? He was a prior medic and wants to join, so it seems like a good way to do actual job-related stick pointy poo poo in people work instead of chipping paint, but I don't know enough about the community to give any worthwhile advice.

Nuclear War: So you want to use a silver bullet

Yeah totes. I'll throw in a short version and a long version since I can't seem to find his posts. Long version details some poo poo to think about when you're going to MEPS as well as if you have general questions about Specialties (Tech gigs) and if you plan on going out to sea or staying shore or doing a mix of everything what to avoid as far as Tech schools go.

Short version:
Normal medical work like sticking people with needles and doing SOAP notes for doctors, you're pretty much a Nurses' bitch. Anything they say goes. Anything a Chief says goes. You can end up working anywhere in a hospital and have a chance to learn different specialties if you're not forced into a tech school after A School. Most school work is basic nursing/paramedic training and fairly simple. Some techs have easier advancement on the enlisted side, others are easier to get into a commission. If all else fails and you don't want to wait for a commission, get out, become a nurse/doctor, and commission. Just know, military doctors are worked to the bone. Also, most dependents will complain about things. Most Navy hospitals end up sending the major gently caress-ups that suck at medical care to Supply. You never want to gently caress up so badly that they send you there. If they offer you a choice between a clinic and Education and Training, always pick the clinic. Education and Training sucks balls half the time.

Long version:
Figure Out What You Want
The job itself is fairly simple and straightforward, but there's some things people don't know when they're coming in that can seriously gently caress them over. First: If you have your heart set on a particular medical specialty, such as you want to go and be around Marines all day sticking thermometers up their asses, you can request some specialties at the recruiting station. If you do this, for FMTB (Marines), Dental, etc., ENSURE THAT IT IS IN YOUR CONTRACT THAT YOU SIGN AT MEPS. If it is not in your contract, you were never offered that. The initial school for Corpsmen is fairly simple, if you want to study up beforehand, you can find almost any paramedic manual/nursing guide. There's also an online version of the Corpsman Handbook which holds all the knowledge that covers actual Corpsman advancement exams, this comes in handy because the same material is on all the tests that they'll give you to finish A School. If you don't want to dive into anything, that's cool too. A lot of people join, go to the fleet without a sub-specialty and make up their mind while they're out doing a normal job. At times, and at a command's discretion, you can be "loaned" to a particular clinic and learn what they do. This is on a space available basis and is intended to give you some experience in the job in case you are interested in a particular field. During your initial counseling, mid-term evaluation, and final evaluation, you will have an opportunity to voice your interests to your Command Master Chief, Chief, as well as any other relevant supervisors. These are the people that can coordinate your training in other clinics and assist you in advancing your career on the Enlisted side. If your interests are in becoming a Doctor of some sort, I'd recommend latching on to a reliable provider within the hospital that has that specialty and starting some rapport. Usually, you end up with a doctor as your work supervisor anyway, and if you demonstrate an interest in something a lot of them can either help you out or will find someone to assist you. Possibly even get you a letter of recommendation for school or a program in commissioning.

DEPENDING ON WHAT YOU DO DURING A-SCHOOL OR IF YOU GO TO A C-SCHOOL OF A CERTAIN TYPE, YOU MIGHT LIMIT YOURSELF TO EITHER PERMANENT SEA DUTY, PERMANENT SHORE DUTY, OR A MIX OF THEM What I mean by this is, if you want to end up on a Frigate or something, don't pick to be a Psych Tech (they're strictly shore or carrier). Some specialties will have a higher chance of naturally ending up on a ship. Aviation Technicians tend to end up on a carrier or LHD at some point depending on the squadrons they're assigned to. Surgical Technicians are usually on a carrier or hospital ship if they're not assigned to a shore command/deployed somewhere. If you have no specialty, you're left open to go to any surface ship in the fleet. The only vessel that a Corpsman is limited to getting on, strictly due to rank, is a submarine. If you have your heart set on submarines, get ready and buckle down your first couple of years when you enlist. Get on the fast track to get to E-5 as soon as possible and apply for Independent Duty Corpsman. They're the only ones placed on submarines and are usually an E-6 and above. If you go Independent Duty, you practically push-button for Chief.

Specialty Schools
Here is a list of the common ones I know about :

Field Medical Technician (FMF, Marine Savior)- You can request this at MEPS or hope that they have an availability at A-school. They go everywhere with Marines and are particularly well known to dodge some of the bullshit that Marines and Navy personnel go to because they have so many duties no one really questions them. You can get assigned to the Infantry, Motor T, or Aviation, and wherever they go, you go. If you pick this specialty, be ready to rush for an FMF pin as soon as possible, and be ready for some of the dumbest/funniest poo poo you'll ever encounter in your life. There's always that one dude straight out of boot camp that drinks Monster/Red Bull/Rockstar and puts it in a camelbak only to fall out during a march. D4I, the guy with the cartoon that has dicks in its mouth blurred out, can tell you more as he served his final years in with the Marines.

Psychiatric Technician- Mostly viewed as the weird kids, avoided by most and usually left to themselves. I was in this specialty, and I can tell you from experience that if you end up going Psych Tech and you end up at a small command, you will get more responsibilities than someone straight out of schooling would likely get. You end up assisting strictly Mental Health/Substance Abuse clinics and it affords you the chance to prepare for a degree in those fields as you learn the ins and outs of treatment and theories. None of the work this specialty does appears on the advancement exam, and probably nothing ever will because Psych Techs tend to get out or change Tech specialties. At larger commands, you may end up taking a stronger role in patient care such as in group sessions. Pray you don't end up at a small command like Lemoore or 29 Palms.

Surgical Technician- Assist the surgeons, set up equipment and be a clean freak. The schooling is somewhat demanding, but out of the military employment is fairly good for just being a technician. It can be a fairly good stepping stone for getting a hand in surgical stuff and if you're interested in becoming a surgeon, picking the brains of your surgeons will be great.

Respiratory Technician- Work with lung docs, pays really well on the outside.

Independent Duty Corpsman- Pretty much the older brother of FMF, these guys are the only specialty allowed on Subs at the moment. They are also push-button for Chief, however, it is the hardest school that a Corpsman can go through with the highest fail rate next to the Recon Corpsmen.

Recon- Get assigned to the Marine Special Operations dudes and be seen as a god among Corpsmen. From the ones I've spoken to, you're second string to the SEALs but still really, really bad rear end. Difficult school to get into, even harder to get through but it's like SEALs in that it's mental, or at least the videos say.

X-ray Technician- Work X-ray machines and get paid stupid amounts of money part-time as you laugh at other Corpsmen for being broke.

There's more and to be honest too many to actually list. If you have any questions pm me or reply to this if you don't have plat.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Pandasmores posted:

Nuclear War: So you want to use a silver bullet

Yeah totes. I'll throw in a short version and a long version since I can't seem to find his posts.

They start at http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3703659&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=163#post466115680 and go on for about a page or so. tyvm for the summary.

Nuclear War
Nov 7, 2012

You're a pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty pretty girl
Thank you so much guys, a lot of good advice and I was impressed you kept your snickering at me considering re enlisting to a surprisingly low minimum. I would have been more active, but I got quite a few of the answers I needed and the election hit me HARD out of left field, so I've been busy with other things. Pandasmore, I got your PM and will reply to that in a day or so, it is GREATLY appreciated.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp
I'm underway as a civilian mostly sleeping getting paid for 16 hours of overtime everyday and don't have to worry about standing watches.

Feels good.

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.

PneumonicBook posted:

I'm underway as a civilian mostly sleeping getting paid for 16 hours of overtime everyday and don't have to worry about standing watches.

Feels good.

Underway...

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Being underway and not ship's company is awesome and I miss it all the time.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I just got a job in hawaii running something to do with JWICS or something. Pays really good and I dont have to deal with seaman timmy loving up my liberty. Being out is good.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Which island are you living on? And how familiar are you with Hawaii already?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

M_Gargantua posted:

Which island are you living on? And how familiar are you with Hawaii already?

Ill be living on Oahu and my familiarity with hawaii amounts to "I know it is surrounded by water and it is warm there".

Ill be showing up in december if theres any goons on Oahu.

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

Ill be living on Oahu and my familiarity with hawaii amounts to "I know it is surrounded by water and it is warm there".

Ill be showing up in december if theres any goons on Oahu.

LingcodKilla posted:

You jerks finally told the truth.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

He isnt in oahu anymore but the mahu joke is spent, i already knew about that anyways from working with a buddy who was from hawaii while i was in.

Ill try to get some of that omlet though it looks like killer hangover food

hogmartin
Mar 27, 2007

He isnt in oahu anymore but the mahu joke is spent, i already knew about that anyways from working with a buddy who was from hawaii while i was in.

I wasn't making a mahu joke, just that you need to eat a fried rice omelette before you leave.

There are at least 3 ex-Hawaii goons around, let us know where/how long you're staying, whether you have a car, and what your hobbies are, and we'll give you some recommendations. I heard Sea Breeze over at Hickam is closed now, so that's one out :(

hogmartin fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Nov 11, 2016

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Not planning on leaving :unsmigghh:

If I dont have to leave Hawaii i would be just fine staying.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I can't tell if that's a knockoff but the original fried rice omelette comes from the Pearl Harbor Bowling Alley grill. They are even better than they look.

90% of living in Hawaii is knowing where you're commuting between, and when. Peak traffic is some of the worst in the world. For a year I bicycling the 14 miles from the heart of Waikiki to Pearl each morning, I was doing it in under an hour easily and almost always beat traffic. (Plus bikes don't have to deals other awful parking) Traffic is in my opinion the main consideration for quality of life in Oahu.

So if you're working mainly in/near K-bay live in Kailua. If you work in pearl live in Kailua. If you're working near Schofield or that stupid bunker (It's probably this one) You're kinda out of luck since living near work means driving an hour to get to anywhere major. (Granted, its Hawaii, everything is two hours from everywhere, as long as you stay away from the dread corridor of H1 Traffic.)

I still visit every year even though I'm not there anymore. You will either wind up knowing a ton of people or be an anti-social shutin. Easy choice to make imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Theoretically if the funding is like they say it is I'm suppose to contact the unit and get orders. They seemed pleased with my work and asked me if I wanted to come back quarterly. I really don't know how these things work for the reserves though. I thought there was some seniority in this stuff.
Gotta finish my time in VA first.
Hopefully I'll be back sucking down fros next quarter.

M_Gargantua posted:

I can't tell if that's a knockoff but the original fried rice omelette comes from the Pearl Harbor Bowling Alley grill. They are even better than they look.

That's the real deal. I had no reason to go onto the base except for that. Worth it.

Crab Dad fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Nov 11, 2016

• Locked thread